Daley promises to fight to keep handg...

Daley promises to fight to keep handgun ban

There are 5 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 25, 2008, titled Daley promises to fight to keep handgun ban. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Mayor Richard Daley was adamant Friday about Chicago's intention to defend its handgun ban in court, despite news that a second area suburb was likely to repeal its ordinance next week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

David

Powder Springs, GA

#1 Aug 27, 2008
Mayor Daley is a moron. Licensed law abiding citizens are a crime deterrent. Try locking up criminals instead of worrying about guns, idiot.
Michael Ejercito

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Aug 28, 2008
Must we why the Chicago PD is ineffective in fighting crime.

Most of them are not law abiding...
Mike

United States

#3 Sep 14, 2008
Thankfully here in Florida we are allowed to protect yourself. I guess Chicagos idiot mayor thinks people should hide under their beds and hope not to get shot while they wait for the cops to take 45 minutes to show up to stop teh criminal. Even if it took 1 minute the homeowner will be dead. I bet that idiot mayor has protection and they are armed. He should be forced to live with those bad nieghborhoods without any protection and see how long it takes for him to realize that law abiding citizens have a right to defend themselves. No matter how hard the police try they cannot stop you from being a victim of crime and popele should look up why the police were created in the first place and teh supremem court ruling stating cops do not have to protect individuals only the public.
O-Bummer

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 14, 2008
Folks, he's just coming right out & saying that he wants to waste millions more of your funds in legal fees. Also see CCM move support for a few million more we'll pony up.

Why worry about such things when:
1. You're a Democrat (so you must care about the people?)
2. You know what's best for the "little" people

Hey, this just lines up with the current Democratic thinking...
Tory II

Bolingbrook, IL

#5 Sep 14, 2008
Quote:

"...Daley also said if the gun ban were overturned the city would need to consider other ways to protect emergency workers. "You have to look at a new ordinance in order to protect firemen and policemen going to the scenes of people that arm themselves in their home."

Why does he assume armed homeowners will harm emergency workers ? There's no evidence that occurs. Police have weapons to protect themselves, and Daley's handgun ban doesn't remove them from criminals. Chicagoans are allowed long guns; does Daley believe those guns are not going to harm emergency workers.

Daley has no sense about logic. He actually believes the Chicago handgun ban protects emergency workers. The law-abiding people don't want to harm anyone.

The city has a deficit to payoff - it will soon owe more money for lawyers to defend the Chicago handgun ban lawsuit. If I were those lawyers I would demand payment upfront.

Maybe Chicago's Bond rating will drop. If it does, it's costs to borrow money (to payoff it's deficit) will increase.

The safety of emergency workers is not a good enough excuse to ignore the 2nd amendment (nothing is).

Daley ( a law school grad) believes the SCOTUS decision - Heller vs D.C.- doesn't apply to Chicago. We'll find out after the upcoming lawsuits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morton Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bond forfeiture Greg Salvi (Jul '15) 3 hr Dear abbey 116
Old Evanston (Aug '09) Jan 17 Dre 16
News Alleged Prostitute Accused Of Solicting On Web (Sep '06) Jan 16 quickie 11
News Motorcyclist still in coma after November accident (Jan '10) Jan 16 Rubini Karalis 10
Beaner Beater Jan 15 Tettonas 18
News West suburban fire board pumped up chiefs' pens... (Sep '13) Jan 15 Boo 7
Where is Pete Venutes and Debbie and Tina Jan 12 WILDBILL 7

Morton Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morton Grove Mortgages