not so new

AOL

#1 Mar 8, 2008
For the unsuspecting, Morrisville is Pennsylvania's version of a modern-day Mayberry. To an outsider, reading the Police Logs printed in the Courier Times, the is little to no crime in that town, when in reality, I suspect that is is merely because the police don't share this information w/ the media. I work there, and don't get me wrong....it is generally quite nice. the residents are decent hard- working people as a whole. But the unavaidable truth is that with its close proximity to Trenton, it has its fair share of crime. Its hard to deny that there are plenty of police cars zooming around with lights & sirens.
Morrisville

Wilmington, DE

#2 May 25, 2008
Well I don't want to offend you by putting something like a fact in front of your suspicions.... but I actually live in Morrisville and have never had any problems. Also, I've never seen police zooming around with lights and sirens in Morrisvillie. Maybe, just maybe, the Police Logs and the criminal stats are right and Morrisville has low crime... and maybe the suspicions of someone who doesn't live here and has no facts are wrong?
wallies

United States

#3 May 26, 2008
There's no doubt Morrisville's crime is underreported, as is the crime rate of most surrounding municipalities. The police are slow to respond and in many cases do not want to bother. What we get here is a real clash of cultures - a lot of transient renters, many of whom come here for specious reasons - got out of jail, divorce, lost job, real down-on-their-luck people - and the natives, many of whom are retirees, who do not want to recognize a threat to their small town, leave-the-screen-door-open-at- night mentality. To live here comfortably means you must make an effort to turn a blind eye - to highly inconsiderate neighbors, rampant petty theft and private property intrusion, because the police aren't going to defend you. Morrisville needs to be a better "gatekeeper" and enforce laws with penalties.
Allen

Little Creek, DE

#4 Dec 31, 2008
Morrisville has apartments with Section 8 government funded housing. Section 8 apartments bring in a lower socio-economic class (also more transient). Most of them are good people, but there is a higher rate of not-so-good people among the Section 8 renters. Morrisville also has the bridge to and from Trenton. That tends to bring in poor and desperate people. In addition, if one is wanted for lower-level misdemeanor law violations, many times they will not extradite across state lines. What might cause someone to get locked up in NJ could be totally irrelevant in PA (unless they commit the offense again in PA). Not all people who try to start their life over in a new state actually make the transformation into citizens who are law-abiding.(In other words, old bad behaviors and old bad habits sometimes don't change.) Morrisville just happens to be one of those towns where people come to try to start a new life, elude the lower-level arrest warrants from NJ, or simply to hide.

Morrisville is not alone when it comes to not reporting all the crime to the media. Horsham Township in Montgomery County reports almost nothing to the media, while neighboring Upper Moreland Township reports everything to the media. It all depends on the policy of the department.

Sometimes they have good reasons for not reporting to the media. If they have a lot of long-term criminal investigations, they always feel the need to secure their information as much as possible. Other times, citizens have turned negative towards their town due to a particular police log in the newspaper. The newspaper police logs don't tell the whole story, and the police don't like to be made to look like the bad guys (especially if they actually weren't).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morrisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Levittown Shop-a-Rama Shopping Center (May '07) Jun 20 jobeth Egan_luciana 11
where is some places to go with a friend when y... (Jun '08) May '16 Wshbsdhsb 179
Anyone know a woman mid-thirties w/ tattoo blac... (Jun '15) Apr '16 ReplacementTherapy 11
rollerama in the 1970s (Jul '06) Apr '16 Cynthia 39
News Where to see a psychic on Long Island (Mar '09) Apr '16 Convicted_on_Prin... 9
Chris Gage Feb '16 same 1
Tipping at Restaurants (Oct '13) Feb '16 abcdef 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morrisville Mortgages