N.C. Man Charged With 'Coughing' Assault

N.C. Man Charged With 'Coughing' Assault

There are 25 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 28, 2007, titled N.C. Man Charged With 'Coughing' Assault. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Morrisville police have charged a man with assault on a government official after an officer said the man coughed into his face during a traffic stop.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Sep 28, 2007
Why is a Government Agent doing a traffic stop? Sounds funny to me.
Edward

United States

#2 Sep 28, 2007
Jack wrote:
Why is a Government Agent doing a traffic stop? Sounds funny to me.
A police officer is an agent of government, whether it's municipal, state, federal government, etc. He was charged with "assault on a government official." I think you are thinking government official = Government Official = FBI/CIA/federal government...it was probably a local cop.
CRAZY

Morris, IL

#3 Sep 28, 2007
THAT'S A SHAME. POLICE AIN'T GOT ANYTHING BETTER TO DO, BUT LOCK SOMEONE UP FOR COUGHING IN HER FACE.
Chicago Boy

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 28, 2007
Not much to do in the "Gomer" state, I guess!!
longbeach

Elmhurst, NY

#5 Sep 28, 2007
What job title did the "government official" have?
What was his/her name?
Sean

Chicago, IL

#6 Sep 28, 2007
Jack wrote:
Why is a Government Agent doing a traffic stop? Sounds funny to me.
Who the hell else should be doing traffic stops? Private security guards? Accountants? Real estate agents? The public at large?
Sean

Chicago, IL

#7 Sep 28, 2007
longbeach wrote:
What job title did the "government official" have?
What was his/her name?
"OFFICER CHRIS GILL said in his report that Kent Kauffman looked into his eyes before 'hacking' in his face three times, according to Morrisville spokeswoman Stacie Galloway."
Did you even read the story?
DesiDogg

Houston, TX

#8 Sep 28, 2007
Welcome to the Bush police state.
Crystal

Shorewood, IL

#9 Sep 28, 2007
DO DANG STUPID GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! IF HE SPIT IN HIS FACE, THEN THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO CHARGE THE MAN WITH. HE DIDN'T, SO NEED TO ARREST THE MAN. CRAP LIKE THIS SHOULDN'T EVEN BE IN THE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!
protecting from ourselves

Waukegan, IL

#11 Sep 28, 2007
To think when it started they couldnt pull you over for not wearing a seat belt. Why dont they stop the dangerous drivers.
Old Curmudgeon

Titusville, FL

#12 Sep 28, 2007
DesiDogg wrote:
Welcome to the Bush police state.
And when the same thing happens during a democratic administration what will you say then?
tragic fan

Arlington Heights, IL

#13 Sep 29, 2007
Cops are useless. Underpaid, overworked...but useless.
David in Poland

Bedzin, Poland

#15 Sep 29, 2007
Mr. Kauffman arrested for coughing. The police need something better to do. Good thing this cop isn't working kindergarden crossing!
Shelli

Picerno, Italy

#16 Sep 30, 2007
America sounds more and more like something that I would have expected to find in Nazi Germany. I guess that makes sense. WeƬ've had the same rich families running things for the last 25 years or so.

It was nice while it lasted.
Police State of Mind

Louisville, KY

#18 Sep 30, 2007
So if someone coughed in my face, could I file a complaint and have them arrested? I don't think so.
If the policeman had coughed in the drivers face, would he be charged, or disciplined in any way? I don't think so.

Police have too much power and no accountability. We are not citizens to them. We are the enemy. Most are not there to serve and protect. Most are there to command and intimidate.

However its not all their fault. They are truly underpaid. Partly because the are poorly screened, they are under-qualified, under-trained, and under-educated. Although, there are individual exceptions - just not enough.
Carl from AA Co

Frederick, MD

#20 Sep 30, 2007
Police State of Mind, just where do you get your facts from? You are just another police hater. You and your buddies love to bad mouth police. Just let someone bump your car and leave the scene and you call the police and then whine like a little bitch! The anti-police are usually either wannabes who couldn't cut it as a cop or scumbag criminals. Not many law abiding citizens put the police down. Why? Well, you and your kind certainly don't have the guts to lay it all on the line to help a complete stranger! And by the way, more and more police agencies require a college degree to be considered for employment. Get your facts straight before you run your mouth.
James B

Louisville, KY

#24 Sep 30, 2007
Carl from AA Co wrote:
Police State of Mind, just where do you get your facts from? You are just another police hater. You and your buddies love to bad mouth police. Just let someone bump your car and leave the scene and you call the police and then whine like a little bitch! The anti-police are usually either wannabes who couldn't cut it as a cop or scumbag criminals. Not many law abiding citizens put the police down. Why? Well, you and your kind certainly don't have the guts to lay it all on the line to help a complete stranger! And by the way, more and more police agencies require a college degree to be considered for employment. Get your facts straight before you run your mouth.
I'm not a police hater, I'm an abuse hater. I think if you had not selectively read my comment you might have understood this.
Many police are college educated. However, that does not mean they are not under-educated. what is their cultural education? What is their sociological and psychological education? What is their education on the constitution?
We know they are trained how to intimidate. However, are they trained as problem solvers? We know that they are trained to escalate but are they trained as peace makers? We know they get continuing wepons training, but how much continuing education do they get on communications and human interaction? We know that they are trained to "bleed blue", but we don't see any emphasis on "bleeding red,white and blue",i.e the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Go to Police web sites and see the kind of hostility they express for the constitution (it makes their job harder) and the citizens they are supposed to serve. Observe how much they object to and resent citizen oversight - accountability.
If they were better paid, the standards could be higher, the emotional screening could be more selective and their intellectual quality could be higher.
Finally (when you speak of facts), you have no knowledge of what I do for strangers and you have no insight to the fact that I do it without being paid.
Just for the record

Wausau, WI

#25 Sep 30, 2007
DesiDogg wrote:
Welcome to the Bush police state.
That's plain BS. Stop blaiming Bush for everything. People like you must think Bush must have over a hundred clones all over doing his all this. Not to mention the President is not a dictator and does not have the ablitiy to control all this. Take a civic class befoe spouting your rant.
Just for the record

Wausau, WI

#26 Sep 30, 2007
Barney Fife wrote:
No wonder crime rates are increasing. Everything is a crime !
Hate your screen name, but I think you hit the nail on the head.
Carl from AA Co

Frederick, MD

#27 Oct 2, 2007
Wow, Mike D and James B really know law enforcement. Just as I said, wannabes. "Trained to intimidate" and "trained to escalate". Where do you get your information from. Totally clueless! One thinks its all about power and the other thinks its all about skirting the constitution. Neither of you two punks has any clue about what it's like on the street dealing with people such as yourselves. Citizen oversight? What the hell do citizens know about our job? That's why they are called "citizens". Those who can't or won't do the job only need to know how to dial 911 when the shit hits the fan. Then stand back and my brothers and sisters will take care of business. We have plenty of oversight in this career. Ever heard of Internal Affairs? Think it's all BS when they investigate a complaint? Think again. Don't try to pass yourself off as being so knowledgeable about law enforcement when you obviously have no clue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morrisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sarah boring aka Sarah morgan...aka sarah the s... 11 hr Cuz I can 1
Moving to Raleigh area Jun 21 Moving 1
News Jake Xerxes Fussell Unearths More Hidden Gems o... Jun 18 Victor Hugo 133
News North Carolina's "bathroom bill" repeal: who's ... Jun 16 Louis Stephenson 4
You can listen to the police scanner for Durham... (Aug '12) Jun 16 sexymonica285 3
Father's Day Sale at Artspace Jun 15 rfox90 1
Beware Mike Luchansky (Aug '10) Jun 14 Michael 74

Morrisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morrisville Mortgages