Posted in the Morristown Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe

Morristown, TN

#1 Nov 1, 2009
Hi, folks.

Last night, Halloween night, I had to run out to get a part for my heater. On the way back, I took Sulphur Springs Road (south of the 160). There's an old house out there, that I never fail to notice. It's on Sulphur Springs, at the corner of Fernwood Church. An old, big, two-storey job. Anyone who's been out there knows the house; it's hard to miss, and very distinctive.
Anyways, as I drove by, I noticed lights on in the house, a vehicle in the driveway, a sign in the yard that I couldn't make out in the dark, and several vehicles in a lot next-door, with a sign saying, "Park here."
I swung around and went by again, swerving in the road to get my headlights on the sign in the yard. It said, "Appalachian Hauntings," with a telephone number. "Hey," I thought, "I didn't know they were setting up a funhouse out here." I swung round again, parked in the lot with the other vehicles, got out, and walked toward the house. I'm not a big fan of funhouses; I only wanted to see the inside of the place.
As I approached, I thought it didn't seem like any funhouse I'd ever seen. There were only a few lights on, and a couple of people walking around the house with flashlights. I could hear an engine running behind the house, likely a generator. Fake ghost tours?
Having bothered to park and walk the hundred feet or so to the house anyway, I decided to speak to the people inside. "Howdy," I said loudly, making my presence known before entering through the open door, as anyone who doesn't feel like being shot does around here. "Are you folks setting up a haunted house?" This was, after all, Halloween night.
There were two people standing on the stairs inside, one with a flashlight. "No," I heard a woman's voice say, "we're conducting an investigation."
I mumbled something along the lines of, "See you later; good luck," and got out of there.

When I got home, I looked up "Appalachian Hauntings" on the 'net, and, lo and behold, in the 'Photos' section of their website, there were three pictures of the very house, They'd been there before. Two of the pictures I didn't believe were ghosts, but the second one was, let's just say, convincing. Have a look.

I'm very curious now, and wonder if anyone knows anything about the place. Any stories, rumours, legends, etc?

Thanks.

---Joe
Interested

Morristown, TN

#2 Nov 4, 2009
This is very interesting. I live on Fernwood Church Road and drive by the house several times a day. Everytime we go by it my son loves to point out the fact that it is haunted. I'd like to know more info.

Since: Nov 09

Morristown, TN

#3 Nov 4, 2009
I've managed to find a bit of statistical info; here it is in a condensed form. Keep in mind, I'm not perfectly sure about any of this.

They say it was built by the Riggs family c. 1825. That would make it 184 years old - very old for any building; damned old for a wooden house.

They say it was used as an improvised hospital during the Civil War. I figure it probably was.

Last occupied by Calvin Hobson in the mid-eighties.

Last re-sold in 2002. New owner wanted to restore it, but never has. Too bad. I've seen this happen too many times; someone buys an old house thinking they'll restore it with a gallon of paint, then when they realise how much work it really needs, they just let it fall down. I've got a good mind to make the owner an offer.

Anyways, enough lamenting. You can find some more info, old memories of the place, plus a picture, here: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/morristown-tn...

By the way, I'm the same person who posted the first comment to this thread.

---Joe

Morristown, TN

#4 Nov 4, 2009
That link wasn't quite right; this link will take you to the first page of the thread: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/morristown-tn...

---Joe

Since: Sep 09

Morristown, TN

#5 Nov 4, 2009
Is there a Historical Society in Morristown? My house will be 100 years old next year and I would love to see it added to such a Society....

O, I looked at their website appalachianhauntings and there are only a couple of photos which I cannot tell if they are fakes or not.. Not quite sold...

Morristown, TN

#6 Nov 4, 2009
I don't know about any historical societies or anything, but as for the pictures (you are talking about the three pictures of this house on the photos page, right?): The first and third are caused by a light-leak problem that I've dealt with myself. The second one is strange; part of my mind sees a face; the other says it's probably a reflection or dirt or something. I'm leaning toward the latter.

I don't really believe in ghosts or any of that sort of thing; I'm just looking for stories and such about the house and place. I figure, if there were ghost-hunters at the place, there must be a lot of stories and legends about.

---Joe

Since: Sep 09

Morristown, TN

#7 Nov 5, 2009
I believe in ghosts, why or how they are here is beyond me. I actualy think my own home is haunted but with positive spirits...Or that of children. Its odd but I can close doors or open them and when I come back they are opposite of how I have left them. Every so often I hear small light footsteps running back and forth in the upstairs hall.. Anyway its not as often felt and we just leave it alone...
Matthias

Morristown, TN

#8 Nov 6, 2009
This house is indeed haunted. My grandmother & family owned the house in the middle 1910'for 10 years or so. My grandmother used to see a little blonde girl at the top of the stairs and civil war soliders walking around much of the time. The house is really falling down now. I think it was also a funeral home sometime but do not the dates.
Paigey

Morristown, TN

#9 Nov 10, 2009
im very intersted in this house my self..i go by it all the time and take pictures just to see if i could catch anything..about 4-5 months ago..me and my mother were driving by and i had her stop..when i got my picture back there was one with a little girl to the side of the house and a woman standing next to the bush in front of the house..i myself went on halloween and went through the house..my thoughts are that its very much haunted..the rooms upstairs you could smell like smoke but it didnt smell like tabacco and there were a few times i got the feeling someone was watching me..

here is the link to the picture i was telling you about.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/Cherry...

you may have to save and enlarge a little bit..but the little girl is circled i just noticed the woman a couple days ago.

Morristown, TN

#10 Nov 11, 2009
Interesting picture. I saw the smaller figure right off, but of course it was circled; it took a bit longer to spot the larger figure - and when I did, I nearly choked on my grits!

I had taken three pictures of the place before, not looking for ghosts, but just to show a friend. I went and looked at them again, but I didn't see anything unexplainable. Oh, well. When I get time, I'll go again; maybe even call the owner and see if he'll let me in there.

I still want to see the inside of the place.
Anonymous

Morristown, TN

#11 Nov 11, 2009
Paigey wrote:
im very intersted in this house my self..i go by it all the time and take pictures just to see if i could catch anything..about 4-5 months ago..me and my mother were driving by and i had her stop..when i got my picture back there was one with a little girl to the side of the house and a woman standing next to the bush in front of the house..i myself went on halloween and went through the house..my thoughts are that its very much haunted..the rooms upstairs you could smell like smoke but it didnt smell like tabacco and there were a few times i got the feeling someone was watching me..
here is the link to the picture i was telling you about.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/Cherry...
you may have to save and enlarge a little bit..but the little girl is circled i just noticed the woman a couple days ago.
That is so interesting!!!! Have you seen the odd image in the tree?? If you look at the tree there is a small circular light spot that looks like it has a dark image of a body standing in it. Kinda weird, Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but it looks cool. But this picture is very interesting..
Just thinking

Morristown, TN

#12 Nov 15, 2009
My friend said that he knew that it was an old veterans hospital then someone bought it and used it as a house.
GOHST LOVER

Louisville, TN

#13 Nov 15, 2009
I live in a haunted house.Spirits are very real. APPALACHIN HAUNTINGS wants to investigate my home.I already know whats there.Thay are really cool people if you think you got spooks give them a call.
Anonymous

Morristown, TN

#14 Nov 16, 2009
long hair

United States

#15 Nov 16, 2009
Joe wrote:
Hi, folks.
Last night, Halloween night, I had to run out to get a part for my heater. On the way back, I took Sulphur Springs Road (south of the 160). There's an old house out there, that I never fail to notice. It's on Sulphur Springs, at the corner of Fernwood Church. An old, big, two-storey job. Anyone who's been out there knows the house; it's hard to miss, and very distinctive.
Anyways, as I drove by, I noticed lights on in the house, a vehicle in the driveway, a sign in the yard that I couldn't make out in the dark, and several vehicles in a lot next-door, with a sign saying, "Park here."
I swung around and went by again, swerving in the road to get my headlights on the sign in the yard. It said, "Appalachian Hauntings," with a telephone number. "Hey," I thought, "I didn't know they were setting up a funhouse out here." I swung round again, parked in the lot with the other vehicles, got out, and walked toward the house. I'm not a big fan of funhouses; I only wanted to see the inside of the place.
As I approached, I thought it didn't seem like any funhouse I'd ever seen. There were only a few lights on, and a couple of people walking around the house with flashlights. I could hear an engine running behind the house, likely a generator. Fake ghost tours?
Having bothered to park and walk the hundred feet or so to the house anyway, I decided to speak to the people inside. "Howdy," I said loudly, making my presence known before entering through the open door, as anyone who doesn't feel like being shot does around here. "Are you folks setting up a haunted house?" This was, after all, Halloween night.
There were two people standing on the stairs inside, one with a flashlight. "No," I heard a woman's voice say, "we're conducting an investigation."
I mumbled something along the lines of, "See you later; good luck," and got out of there.
When I got home, I looked up "Appalachian Hauntings" on the 'net, and, lo and behold, in the 'Photos' section of their website, there were three pictures of the very house, They'd been there before. Two of the pictures I didn't believe were ghosts, but the second one was, let's just say, convincing. Have a look.
I'm very curious now, and wonder if anyone knows anything about the place. Any stories, rumours, legends, etc?
Thanks.
---Joe
I was there that night as one of my cousins has some conection to the Ghost hunting deal,My interest was more in seeing the house as my great aunt lived there in the 30s or 40s.Ive heard alo of stories but didnt see anything that night,It was a little funny though,the Ghost hunters were upstairs in the house and we were downstairs where an old player piano sat.I wasnt thinking and played a small tune on the piano to see if it would play,needless to say the ghost hunters thought there was a haunted piano downstairs.The house is supposed to have been built around 1790 and there are stories of civil war soldiers taken there for treatment,and tales of bloodspots that cnat be cleaned and doors that wont stay shut.But who knows.personally Id like to see it fixed up as it is very solid inside,just badly neglected.
tallman

Morristown, TN

#16 Nov 16, 2009
...i drive by often and see this house...it is sad of the neglect of this home - i bet it was amazing in it's hey-day...but there is an older home on valley home road - fairly close to the home mentioned in this thread...anyone with info on it...

Location hidden

#17 Dec 18, 2009
I'm not sure who has it now, but a few years back some friends and i drive by that house and snapped a few pics. In one picture that was, what seemed to to a young lady standing in a an upstairs window. Not to say that there is anything really there, but it is a creepy photo. I have friends that live out that way, so i frequent the area. That house has always captured my attetion as i drove by. The last i heard a friend mine's dad owned the house and was storing some of his belongings in it. That was about 2 years ago.
retta

Nashville, TN

#18 Dec 21, 2009
just looked at the pics on here of the house and i can see the woman next to the bush really good. creepy ! anymore haunted houses in morristown that you know of ??

Location hidden

#19 Dec 22, 2009
retta wrote:
just looked at the pics on here of the house and i can see the woman next to the bush really good. creepy ! anymore haunted houses in morristown that you know of ??
Bethesda cemetary is a pretty god place to go. Take some one with a yankee accent, and a good camera and you'll really get some good pics.
interested

United States

#20 Dec 22, 2009
82blaze wrote:
<quoted text>
Bethesda cemetary is a pretty god place to go. Take some one with a yankee accent, and a good camera and you'll really get some good pics.
where is this cemetary at? i'm not from around here (a yankee) and would like to see it myself.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lesbian Couple Kicked out of 1st Baptist 14 min Open Minded 262
Too many wrecks on joe hall road. 5 hr bartey 6
Joby Buckingham 5 hr Cautious 1
Team Tech 7 hr CBt 14
Mexicans 8 hr Lol 39
Tonya Jones 8 hr 744337864974 2
Manson ripping pages from Bible (Jan '12) 9 hr john 51
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morristown Mortgages