People With The "Will Work For Food S...

People With The "Will Work For Food Signs"

Posted in the Morristown Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Sep 3, 2010
I'm sure most everyone has now seen them standing near the road at some of the department stores.I have also noticed now that some of their signs state that they will also "work for gas money and food for their children."
I was up in Rogersville last month and noticed a guy and gal standing near the road where you turn there at Wal Mart.
The one thing that really caught my eye was that they had two small children with them sitting in the grass and it was a very hot day.

Now I'm sure that we all have heard the story of where a vehicle full of the "professional beggars" comes around and drops these folks off so they can stand with their signs.
I also have heard stories of how some of these people even attend a "begging class" of sorts and how to dress in clothes so you will feel sorry for them.
Another story was how a elderly man and woman even picked someone up, took them home to try to help them by letting them clean their home, and was robbed in the process.
I am just curious if anyone personally knows someone like this, and if they REALLY do need any financial help??
sure sure

Morristown, TN

#2 Sep 3, 2010
I've seen them and will usually give them a few bucks, but if they will work for food they should get a job. That's what I do. I work for food.

Since: Aug 10

Morristown, TN

#3 Sep 3, 2010
sure sure wrote:
I've seen them and will usually give them a few bucks, but if they will work for food they should get a job. That's what I do. I work for food.
Lol. I'm think I'm just working to make sure my phone bill gets paid. This internet addiction is a bitch!--- best beggar I ever got was in in Asheville, nc. I was walking with my ex just going in and out of some of the shops there wasting money and having a good time when this tattooed midget comes up to us and asks us for money. Before I say anything he senses my reluctance and says "Listen, im not going to lie, if you give me $5 I'm going to use it to buy beer." I look at my girl, and she kind of laughs so I give him a $10. Then he thanks me and says that he's there with some people and they ran out of gas and they're all asking around for gas money. I ask him if he's still going to buy beer. He told me that he had asked a bunch of people before me if they could help him put gas in the car, and they just ignored him, so he said he just decided the next person he saw he would ask for money and tell them he was going to use it for booze. That person was me and I was the only person that gave him any money. My ex and I ended up hanging out with him and his friends that day and they all turned out to be really cool. And their car really was out of gas! Lol

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4 Sep 3, 2010
sure sure wrote:
I've seen them and will usually give them a few bucks, but if they will work for food they should get a job. That's what I do. I work for food.
I work for the bills to get paid, my animals to be well taken care of, parts for the 'ol hot rods, a good steak now and then and oh yea,- weekend barley and hops moolah.
Lilly

Morristown, TN

#5 Sep 3, 2010
I went out to dinner last week and had a guy come up to me and ask for gas money because he had his wife and four month old daughter in the car and it was hot and he didn't have any gas. So I told him to show me his baby and wife and started walking to his car. He then changed his story and said they weren't in the car, they were at a friends house. I told him forget it and went inside and told the manager about him. He went outside and made the guy leave. A lot of people would rather beg for money than actually go out and get a job.

“Fire in my Bones and”

Since: Apr 10

The sweet taste of Kerosene

#6 Sep 3, 2010
If I see a beggar with children I call the police, period. Those children don't desreve that life style. If I see all Adults, I will usually give them a few bucks....I gave one guy a 50 (on accident on Easter) I thought it was a 20, almost got angry; but than thought about how much that made his day, possibly week. I have needed to borrow money from people before to make ends met, if it were not for my family, I would have been up shits creek also. Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have such a large close knit family (most of the family anyways), I have 25+ people I could ask for help from, lots of people have 0.

Lilly I have had the same thing happen to me, I don't want the sob story. Like Dr. A said if your going to tell you want a beer, I will still give you the money, maybe even more to have one on me. Being selfish in life doesn't help anyone, including yourself.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#7 Sep 3, 2010
I think I would try to help anyone if I could and it was a legitimate reason for such.I hate the ideal of anyone's children having to do without some necessity because their parents was so sorry their need for a "fix" overwhelmed the need of their child.

“lets get autonomous!”

Since: Jul 08

nottingham

#8 Sep 3, 2010
what kills me are the ones who, when you say to them "come on and lets go to work" they suddenly have some appointment to keep. when i had my own business i approached a few and offered them regular jobs at a good rate of pay not one of them was actually willing to work. not when they can stand there and get paid for nothing. saw the same one in greenville, then morristown , then sevierville. he was one who wouldnt work. i wanted to make a sign and stand next to him that said "liar" with an arrow pointed in his direction.
joanne

White Pine, TN

#9 Sep 3, 2010
I once ran into mcdonalds and picked up a bag of food because the guy had a sign that said "please help me, I'm hungry". He laughed and threw the bag back at me.

“Fire in my Bones and”

Since: Apr 10

The sweet taste of Kerosene

#10 Sep 3, 2010
Gromit THAT would have been priceless.....following him around with it....
sure sure

Morristown, TN

#11 Sep 3, 2010
I generally give them money. because I have the money and it's their conscience. My conscience is fine with helping a homeless guy get drunk and his is fine with asking strangers for money to get drunk.
Dee

Morristown, TN

#12 Sep 3, 2010
I was at Wal-mart last week loading my groceries up and a man drove up beside my car and asked me for money because he needed to get back to Knoxville. To be honest, with the way things are today I was afraid. I told him I didn't have any cash and got in my car as quickly as I could. I was afraid he might have a gun or try to get out and grab my purse. You just don't ever know anymore.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#13 Sep 3, 2010
I'm like sure sure, I usually give them money because sometimes it's difficult to tell whether they really need help or not. If I've been had then that's on them not me .One other thing, if someone has gotten to the point of begging for what ever reason ,they can't get much lower can they?
Struggling Girl

Morristown, TN

#14 Sep 3, 2010
Well I know personally what its like to struggle in fact im doing it right now...im seven months pregnant and my husband has a job but it pays extremely low and we are technically homeless the person were with now says we cant stay from the seventh thru the seventeenth and we just now got on the waiting list for morristown housing but its a three month waiting list and i have no idea when were going to get a call from them and im due in november....if i knew what i know now i wouldve changed my life a long time ago but ya know its relly hard when your whole family is drug addicts and thats all youve been raised to know and it used to be normal to me and when i got sober it felt so wierd but now it feels good and im trying my best to pick up the pieces and provide a good life for my daughter and like Ashes82 said some people have tons of people to help them i literally have noone. We have to use my husbands entire check to save for the light deposit when housing does call us and i dont even know when that will be....so some people really do struggle and i think its pathetic that people are using those situations to theyre advantage when theyres real people out there struggling crying stressing about what theyre going to do...

Since: Aug 10

Morristown, TN

#15 Sep 3, 2010
I can't be the only person in morristown with a positive story to tell about this topic! I guess maybe I'm stupid but through the course if my life I have given several strangers rides. People ask me fir help all the time. I guess i have one of those faces, but I have never felt like a sucker, so ... Sometimes i give money sometimes i dont, it just kind of depends in the gut feeling i get about the person asking. I once gave a man a ride from exit 4 all the way to the truck stop on watt rd west of Knoxville just because he was nice when he asked. I've even picked up a couple random hitchhikers, and anytime I see somebody pulled off with the hood up, I stop and offer to use my phone or give them oil or water or antifreeze or whatever i got in the bed of the pickup that might help. Hell I bet jump off three or four people a year that I don't know. What comes around goes around because it's been me sitting on the side if the road with my hood up more times than I care to remember. I even ot stuck in pep boys parking lot once next to the ild movie theater across from east town mallwhen i was 16. I wasn't supposed to be in Knoxville, so I was scared to call my parents, and I knew my older sister would tell them, so I was having a panic attack. One of the guys at Pep boys ended up putting a new fan belt on my car with no labor charge because all I could afford was the belt!

“Fire in my Bones and”

Since: Apr 10

The sweet taste of Kerosene

#16 Sep 3, 2010
Dr_Acula wrote:
I can't be the only person in morristown with a positive story to tell about this topic! I guess maybe I'm stupid but through the course if my life I have given several strangers rides. People ask me fir help all the time. I guess i have one of those faces, but I have never felt like a sucker, so ... Sometimes i give money sometimes i dont, it just kind of depends in the gut feeling i get about the person asking. I once gave a man a ride from exit 4 all the way to the truck stop on watt rd west of Knoxville just because he was nice when he asked. I've even picked up a couple random hitchhikers, and anytime I see somebody pulled off with the hood up, I stop and offer to use my phone or give them oil or water or antifreeze or whatever i got in the bed of the pickup that might help. Hell I bet jump off three or four people a year that I don't know. What comes around goes around because it's been me sitting on the side if the road with my hood up more times than I care to remember. I even ot stuck in pep boys parking lot once next to the ild movie theater across from east town mallwhen i was 16. I wasn't supposed to be in Knoxville, so I was scared to call my parents, and I knew my older sister would tell them, so I was having a panic attack. One of the guys at Pep boys ended up putting a new fan belt on my car with no labor charge because all I could afford was the belt!
We live in the city, and they plow constantly in the winters, you wake up in the morning with a 3 foot wall of snow around your car. My husband, I swear helped around 30 people last winter dig and push out. He can't leave anyone walking down the road either. I would like to think that if I were a man, I would do the same, but as a woman who most of the time has children with me, its simply not safe for me to do that, I can't chance it for even a second (yes I know worlds largest run on sentence). Soceity beats into our heads that we are going to get raped and murdered, so we start to believe it, lol. I could never put my children in harms way for anyone elses well being...thats simply my momma bear instincts I suppose.

“Fire in my Bones and”

Since: Apr 10

The sweet taste of Kerosene

#17 Sep 3, 2010
Struggling Girl wrote:
Well I know personally what its like to struggle in fact im doing it right now...im seven months pregnant and my husband has a job but it pays extremely low and we are technically homeless the person were with now says we cant stay from the seventh thru the seventeenth and we just now got on the waiting list for morristown housing but its a three month waiting list and i have no idea when were going to get a call from them and im due in november....if i knew what i know now i wouldve changed my life a long time ago but ya know its relly hard when your whole family is drug addicts and thats all youve been raised to know and it used to be normal to me and when i got sober it felt so wierd but now it feels good and im trying my best to pick up the pieces and provide a good life for my daughter and like Ashes82 said some people have tons of people to help them i literally have noone. We have to use my husbands entire check to save for the light deposit when housing does call us and i dont even know when that will be....so some people really do struggle and i think its pathetic that people are using those situations to theyre advantage when theyres real people out there struggling crying stressing about what theyre going to do...
Keep your head up, things will get better. You will find a way to make it work. Most important, stay clean.
heres an idea

United States

#18 Sep 4, 2010
Struggling Girl wrote:
Well I know personally what its like to struggle in fact im doing it right now...im seven months pregnant and my husband has a job but it pays extremely low and we are technically homeless the person were with now says we cant stay from the seventh thru the seventeenth and we just now got on the waiting list for morristown housing but its a three month waiting list and i have no idea when were going to get a call from them and im due in november....if i knew what i know now i wouldve changed my life a long time ago but ya know its relly hard when your whole family is drug addicts and thats all youve been raised to know and it used to be normal to me and when i got sober it felt so wierd but now it feels good and im trying my best to pick up the pieces and provide a good life for my daughter and like Ashes82 said some people have tons of people to help them i literally have noone. We have to use my husbands entire check to save for the light deposit when housing does call us and i dont even know when that will be....so some people really do struggle and i think its pathetic that people are using those situations to theyre advantage when theyres real people out there struggling crying stressing about what theyre going to do...
Have you gone to Douglas Cherokee yet? I think they would have some programs or money to help you. It's worth asking about. I'm proud of you for changing your life and you deserve some help.
Lucy

Morristown, TN

#19 Sep 4, 2010
Struggling Girl wrote:
Well I know personally what its like to struggle in fact im doing it right now...im seven months pregnant and my husband has a job but it pays extremely low and we are technically homeless the person were with now says we cant stay from the seventh thru the seventeenth and we just now got on the waiting list for morristown housing but its a three month waiting list and i have no idea when were going to get a call from them and im due in november....if i knew what i know now i wouldve changed my life a long time ago but ya know its relly hard when your whole family is drug addicts and thats all youve been raised to know and it used to be normal to me and when i got sober it felt so wierd but now it feels good and im trying my best to pick up the pieces and provide a good life for my daughter and like Ashes82 said some people have tons of people to help them i literally have noone. We have to use my husbands entire check to save for the light deposit when housing does call us and i dont even know when that will be....so some people really do struggle and i think its pathetic that people are using those situations to theyre advantage when theyres real people out there struggling crying stressing about what theyre going to do...
I'm really happy for you guys trying to get on your feet. I've been in some pretty crappy situations myself, but you keep your mind set on getting what you want and need you will. Probably not when you want it though...lol. They will tell you there is a 3 month waiting list, but you call them every chance you get so your in the front of there minds. You being pregnant your already at the top of the list although they'll never tell you :) Central services on Cumberland may be able to help you with gettin the lights on if they have funds left from the winter and they'll be able to hook you up with funiture too.
Post something when you all get settled in with what you guys still need , I'll bet there are plenty of people on here that will help you guys out. Good luck to you my friend!
Have Always Helped

Wincanton, UK

#20 Sep 4, 2010
I've seen then around. and always have went and got them something to eat.. ive never given money. my husband has taken them in to a fast food resturant and let them get something to eat and paid for it. and from that one i recall the guy was so worried about feeding his family he asked my husband if it was ok to get some extra food for cheap and take it to his kids. so we agreed and offered a ride.. come to find out there were kids.. and this family litterly you could see they were struggling. im not sure how others feel.. i feel great when i can help someone out..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What’s the name of that guy that drives a white... 2 hr mechanically incl... 23
Mark Bell 3 hr Sugar Daddy 5
Scott Lemka 3 hr lol 2
Missing post 5 hr Retribution 14
Murder 5 hr lol 141
snitches in morristown 6 hr Serh 13
Cassie Backer 7 hr Omg ur dumb 19

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morristown Mortgages