pediatric orthodontist
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cautious mom

United States

#1 Nov 14, 2009
any really good orthodontist for children? my child needs braces and ive heard alot of horror stories! any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Nov 14, 2009
All the orthodontists in Morristown are good. I've had experiences with 2 and never had a bad experience with either. The best thing to do is schedule consultations and decide who is going to suit you best.
cautious mom

United States

#3 Nov 14, 2009
manicotti wrote:
All the orthodontists in Morristown are good. I've had experiences with 2 and never had a bad experience with either. The best thing to do is schedule consultations and decide who is going to suit you best.
thanks!
mon of one

Knoxville, TN

#4 Nov 14, 2009
cautious mom wrote:
any really good orthodontist for children? my child needs braces and ive heard alot of horror stories! any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
I take my daughter to Mark McKenna. He will do a consultation for free and the thing I liked about him, when we went for our consultation,he didn't want to put the braces in her for almost 2 years because she still had alot of baby teeth to lose. He doesn't pressure you to do anything until it needs to be done.
Greys fan

Kingsport, TN

#5 Nov 14, 2009
cautious mom wrote:
McKenna. Dr. Gibson was horrid with my kids. He has great staff, but he is lacking in compassion or personality. Haven't heard anything but good about McKenna.
cola-dreamer

United States

#6 Nov 14, 2009
My oldest is 7 and I'm terrified she will need them at what age do kids start to get braces now? Seems like I see really young kids with them now.
Braces R Better

United States

#7 Nov 15, 2009
Each child is different in the time at which braces are needed. Commonly, it is between ten and fourteen years. This is not a rule, just the most common age.
cautious mom

United States

#8 Nov 15, 2009
thanks for the info.. i will try McKenna. Ive heard bad things about Gibson also.
WHS

Morristown, TN

#9 Nov 15, 2009
Gibson is great. I dont think he lacks in personality. He really knows what he is doing. My advice would be to go to Gibson.
Neighborly

Morristown, TN

#10 Nov 15, 2009
Greys fan wrote:
<quoted text>
McKenna. Dr. Gibson was horrid with my kids. He has great staff, but he is lacking in compassion or personality. Haven't heard anything but good about McKenna.
Wow...sorry you had a rough experience with Dr. Gibson. We've had just the opposite! He is fantastic! Possibly you were seeing him at the time of his first learning about his wife's cancer? That had to be distracting and a very difficult time. He is honestly one of the nicest Dr's we have ever encountered. He has been AMAZING with my kids. Very helpful, informative and encouraging.
Neighborly

Morristown, TN

#11 Nov 15, 2009
cola-dreamer wrote:
My oldest is 7 and I'm terrified she will need them at what age do kids start to get braces now? Seems like I see really young kids with them now.
If you think your child may need braces, 7 is not too young to get a consult! As a matter of fact, I would do it now because then the orthodontist can work with your dentist to make things easier when the time comes. If I had known to take my son in at 7, then we would have headed off some BIG problems that have cost us alot more. So don't wait. Just because the braces won't be put on immediately there are steps that can be taken to lessen the need and the expense!
west mom

Grovetown, GA

#12 Nov 16, 2009
I've don't have any personal experience with Gibson, but I've heard bad things from a couple of people. I don't care how great you are, there is always going to be someone out there unhappy with you. It's all about the individual.

I have had a decent experience with McKenna. He's got zero personality, but does good work, and that's what matters. I hope that you are pleased with whichever one you choose!
Old Guy

Nashville, TN

#13 Nov 16, 2009
Had my kids to Mckenna and Gibson, both did a great job. If your kids aren't taking care of their braces and teeth like they should Dr Gibson will get on to them but that's a good thing, right? Also heard lots of good thinks about Dr Coffey and heard his prices are better than the Mckenna and Gibson.
WHS

Morristown, TN

#14 Nov 16, 2009
Dr. Coffey will give you a better price, but will keep the braces on there a ridiculous amount of time.
Greys fan

Kingsport, TN

#15 Nov 16, 2009
Neighborly wrote:
<quoted text> Wow...sorry you had a rough experience with Dr. Gibson. We've had just the opposite! He is fantastic! Possibly you were seeing him at the time of his first learning about his wife's cancer? That had to be distracting and a very difficult time. He is honestly one of the nicest Dr's we have ever encountered. He has been AMAZING with my kids. Very helpful, informative and encouraging.
I don't know about the timing, but my kids brushed and did everything he told them, but they were horrified of him. I had braces as well at the same time and he was ok with me, but I would have preferred someone "kinder" with my kids.
I broke my retainer a while back and won't even go back to see him. I was just glad to get away from him.
But our teeth looked good. Guess that is the most important thing.
BlackQueen40

Nashville, TN

#16 Nov 16, 2009
WHS wrote:
Dr. Coffey will give you a better price, but will keep the braces on there a ridiculous amount of time.
That's because Dr. Coffey wants his patients teeth to look their best. You could even say he's a perfectionist but he wants his patients to be very happy with their smile and he wants to make sure that a few years down the line your teeth have not shifted as well. He's a great orthodontist and he does have the best price in town.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#17 Nov 16, 2009
I am surprised to see negative comments about Dr. Gibson. I went to him and thought he was just super friendly and I couldn't be happier with the results. Two of my children went to Dr. McKenna and we got good results there too. I've also heard good things about Dr. Coffey. All the orthodontists in town are good. You just have to schedule consultations, go meet with them & their staff and see who will suit you best.
hope your happy

Strawberry Plains, TN

#18 Nov 16, 2009
we just put braces on our sons teeth. with Dr. Coffey and we love it there. Evry one is nice and friendly there....and when it comes to price- Dr. Coffey is the wat to go....He is about $3850..Where Dr.Gibson is about $5700-$7000..Depends on how bad they are.. good luck.. just go & c fir ur self..C who u like and can afford
Wasting ur time

Dillon, SC

#19 Nov 16, 2009
The cost of braces is not a "one fits all" type of deal. The cost, amount of time required for the correction, products used, etc all factor into the total expense.
micha in morristown

Kingston Springs, TN

#20 Nov 17, 2009
My son wil be turning 10 in a couple of weeks, and his dentist said he will need braces, but she said to wait a couple of years. Does this sound correct?And, can you make payments on the braces, and for what length of time? Sorry to ask so many questions,but I'm new at this....THANKS!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SSY for Black Women 2 min Ester Rolle 1
Laura Weaver?? 34 min Joe 4
snapchat 39 min DJ Khaled 1
Hacker Timothy French (Jun '14) 1 hr Frank 24
Who is the hottest trailer trash fat nasty whit... (Dec '09) 1 hr Charlene 19
Amvets - TN Veterans 1 hr Shut up 7
autumn harrison 2 hr Derrick 29

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance