howmet lays off 56
morristown

Brunswick, GA

#1 Dec 11, 2008
howmet lays off 56 people the are letting them work till thier christmas break. then they will be layed off
concerned

Sevierville, TN

#2 Dec 11, 2008
I was told that about a hour ago. It's terrible that all of these people are now out of work like so many others. I do believe things are gonna get worse if it's possible.
A Concerned Citizen

Morristown, TN

#3 Dec 11, 2008
These layoffs are harming families across the board. Here in East Tennessee, our workforce cannot handle and does not deserve these sorts of layoffs. As I know and as you know, our economy is failing. This is nothing new. However, we must find a way to save jobs and begin to get our region moving again as a hub for manufacturing and innovation. As Congress is considering a bailout for the large auto manufacturers, it should keep in mind that families, the very individuals, that elected them, are hurting. While corporate bailouts are senseless, and while economic stimuluses aren't the solution to all of America's economic failures, the American people and our elected officials must consider the best of the worst possible options. It is my observation that a meaningful and carefully executed economic stimulus program for the American family and the out of work laborer is our best course of action at this time. As a Conservative, I understand that government handouts are not the answer to each of our problems. However, I understand that when implemented properly and guided by our principles as outlined in the doctrine of compassionate conservatism, we can get America and east Tennessee moving again.
freebird

Morristown, TN

#4 Dec 12, 2008
thats sad.as bad as berkline my son in law was layed off from berkline a month ago due to lack of work according to the papers they gave him when they layed him off ..he can't draw his unemployment because according to what they told them he wasn't layed off due to lack of work there is plenty of work to be done ....yet no one can explain why the paperwork says one thing that they gave him and the office says something else and better yet if there is plenty of work at berkline why did they lay off two whole lines the same day??
freebird

Morristown, TN

#5 Dec 12, 2008
of course i did forget to mention that berkline is the company that stated there had been no lay offs in their newspaper interview last month that it was just rumors hummmmm...wonder how all those layed off folks explain that?
Melissa

Morristown, TN

#6 Dec 12, 2008
I know several people who work at Berkline. One of them being my husband and sister. They have plenty of work to do. They are both working 12 hour days and will continue to do so until Christmas break in which they will get 2 weeks off with unemployment benefits. They generally shut down for a week for Christmas and have been known to shut down for 2 so I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary.

Not to be rude but my husband is in management and he told me they laid off the ones who weren't performing the job or who were laying out.

Since: Oct 08

Nashville, TN

#7 Dec 12, 2008
A Concerned Citizen wrote:
These layoffs are harming families across the board. Here in East Tennessee, our workforce cannot handle and does not deserve these sorts of layoffs. As I know and as you know, our economy is failing. This is nothing new. However, we must find a way to save jobs and begin to get our region moving again as a hub for manufacturing and innovation. As Congress is considering a bailout for the large auto manufacturers, it should keep in mind that families, the very individuals, that elected them, are hurting. While corporate bailouts are senseless, and while economic stimuluses aren't the solution to all of America's economic failures, the American people and our elected officials must consider the best of the worst possible options. It is my observation that a meaningful and carefully executed economic stimulus program for the American family and the out of work laborer is our best course of action at this time. As a Conservative, I understand that government handouts are not the answer to each of our problems. However, I understand that when implemented properly and guided by our principles as outlined in the doctrine of compassionate conservatism, we can get America and east Tennessee moving again.
if you wanna stop this, you need to start massive protest against nafta and free trade, with nafta, the auto industry cut it's own throat by moving so many jobs south of the border, on the free trade side, it isn't fair that other countries can import more to us then we can export to them, thus killing american jobs, by 1) importing product made usually by slave labor in other countries, and 2) because slave labor is cheaper, companies shut down american factories and just have it made overseas, thus maxing their profits by getting rid of american workers. so it all falls back to the political machines of the past, on both sides, dems and repubs, as to why we are in this shape, take japan for instance, they protect themslves by limiting what can be imported to their country, but the u.s. doesn't restrict as much because greed and greed alone runs this country. btw i'm still waiting after 15 yrs for the jobs nafta was suppose to create in this country! this is just my opinion.
A Fact

Kodak, TN

#8 Dec 12, 2008
A friend of mine was laid off last week from Berkline, and it wasn't due to her not showing up for work or for not doing her job. She has been there for 10 years, and only missed 21 days of work and that was because she became ill and had to have surgery.
freebird

Morristown, TN

#9 Dec 12, 2008
yeah my son in law missed two days due to the birth of a child and wifes complications so guess thats what got him canned my point was and still is why fill out the papers one way then fight him to keep him from getting to draw benifits?he was told he would not have a problem because it was due to lack of work....so now he and his family (two little boys) face being put on the street wife can't work she's waiting to get over surgery from having baby to have another surgery for stomach problems...so with the fact that there are so many places hiring through temp services and illegals there are no jobs right now .what are people supposed to do ??????????

Nashville, TN

#10 Dec 12, 2008
he should be able to still draw unemployment. the paper they gave him with the reason for the lay off should be all that is needed, if not, he can file an appeal to the unemployment office. if that doesn't work, he can always get a gutter lawyer to file suit. the last thing berkline needs is publicity over a lay off after swearing in the paper that they are not laying off. but what ever he does, he needs to keep his layoff slip in his hands and not let anyone have it until needed for legal puposes. the reason i say gutter lawyer is because usually the higher priced lawyer are already retained by these companies so people have to go else where to get a lawyer.
Doug

Nashville, TN

#11 Dec 12, 2008
QUIT BUYING THE CRAP THEY EXPORT in TO US!!!!
mo-town wrote:
<quoted text>
if you wanna stop this, you need to start massive protest against nafta and free trade, with nafta, the auto industry cut it's own throat by moving so many jobs south of the border, on the free trade side, it isn't fair that other countries can import more to us then we can export to them, thus killing american jobs, by 1) importing product made usually by slave labor in other countries, and 2) because slave labor is cheaper, companies shut down american factories and just have it made overseas, thus maxing their profits by getting rid of american workers. so it all falls back to the political machines of the past, on both sides, dems and repubs, as to why we are in this shape, take japan for instance, they protect themslves by limiting what can be imported to their country, but the u.s. doesn't restrict as much because greed and greed alone runs this country. btw i'm still waiting after 15 yrs for the jobs nafta was suppose to create in this country! this is just my opinion.

Nashville, TN

#12 Dec 14, 2008
Doug wrote:
QUIT BUYING THE CRAP THEY EXPORT in TO US!!!!
<quoted text>
do you have a list of american made products you could post?
Doug

Nashville, TN

#13 Dec 14, 2008
If you will look at the back of the package ,, most tell where they are made. I know not everything is made in the USA. Check out the only place to get the new energy saving light bulbs. CHINA!!. But we need to TRY to buy American..

Nashville, TN

#14 Dec 15, 2008
Doug wrote:
If you will look at the back of the package ,, most tell where they are made. I know not everything is made in the USA. Check out the only place to get the new energy saving light bulbs. CHINA!!. But we need to TRY to buy American..
i do look at the packages and i do look for american made products, this is one of the reasons the economy is in the shape it is in, free trade helps china and other slave labor countries and kills the u.s.'s job market, so this is why i say do away with free trade and go to a fair trade, i can't remember which of the big 3's ceo's made the statement, but he said when another country can inport 65000 cars a year and we can only export 6500, it kinda stiffles their fair merketability. fair trade not free trade is the only way to go! as for the energy saving light bulbs, which is worse in the long run, an old filament bulb, or a bulb that is filled with mercury and the label on the pack has the numer for instructions on how to clean up spilled mercury which will sit in a landfill till the end of time?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fattest woman in Morristown? 5 min DimeDivatrashpix 13
Morristown robbery thugs CAUGHT (Dec '11) 3 hr Shame 16
Living Well in Morristown 3 hr Love My Life 3
Parking in the Streets 4 hr Best Wings 1
Anyone know about a jonathan carpenter? (Apr '15) 4 hr Best Wings 23
Buffalo Wild Wings Waitresses 4 hr Best Wings 3
Welcome to Morristown 4 hr Move it 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morristown Mortgages