volunteer firefighters
tyg

Strawberry Plains, TN

#1 Jul 7, 2010
yet again thanks to the volunteers of hamblen county

A Hamblen County deputy and a North Hamblen County volunteer firefighter saved a Morristown man trapped in a burning home on Spout Springs Road early Wednesday morning.

Deputies David Cribley and Jason Murphy responded to the fire at 12:17 a.m. and were notified by deputy Marti Wolfe that she could not make entry because of smoke, reports said.

The officers were advised someone was still inside the home. Several attempts to get into the home were made, but the smoke made it difficult to enter.

Cribley, who is also a volunteer firefighter with the West Hamblen Volunteer Fire Department, kicked in the front door and tried to crawl but was unable to locate anyone. He then went to the back door and kicked that in as well.

Placing a wet towel over his face he crawled back into the home and yet again was unable to locate anyone.

"When I exited the residence, the North Hamblen fire truck was pulling in, I grabbed an air pack off the truck and entered back in the residence," explained Cribley.

He carried the air pack in on one shoulder and masked up while entering. Cribley found Don Stepp in his bedroom unresponsive, but breathing, according to reports.

Cribley and Ronnie Hayes, North-Hamblen VFD assistant chief pulled Stepp out.

Stepp had several burns over his body and was attended to by Morristown-Hamblen Emergency Medical Services.

Cribley was praised for his life-saving work.

"We are proud of him for what he did," said Wayne Mize, chief deputy of the Hamblen County Sheriff’s Department.

"Deputy Cribley chose to go in to help his fellow man without regard to his own safety and should be praised for his heroic actions," said Sheriff Esco Jarnagin.

"The Cribleys have a long history of working in safety, in particular with the volunteer fire departments and its not surprising that David would risk his life," said David Purkey, Hamblen County mayor. "That is how he has been trained."

According to Mize, Cribley was sent home to clean up and change clothes, but was not harmed.

In turn, Cribley praised Hayes for his work.

"Hayes should be commended on a good job," Cribley said.

Stepp was flown to Vanderbilt University Medical Center burn center in Nashville.

No one else was home at the time of the fire.

Stepp is listed in critical condition, according to Mize.

According to North firefighter Jason Bunch, the inside was charred, but the dwelling was not big.

"The home had two broken windows one of which the victim broke in attempt to get out," Bunch said.

The damage done to the home is worth $10,000 and the worth of the contents is $5,000.

North, South and East Hamblen County Volunteer Fire Departments along with the Morristown Fire Department, deputies of the HCSD and EMS personnel responded to the scene.
wow

Strawberry Plains, TN

#2 Jul 7, 2010
thank you north hamblen
NHCVFD 500

Morristown, TN

#3 Jul 7, 2010
Also we would like to thank Morristown Fire Department and the MFD Firefighter named Bo for thier assistance last night.
tom

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jul 9, 2010
is the guy that wasd pulled ok ?
Thank you

Morristown, TN

#5 Jul 9, 2010
Thank you for thanking Bo. From what I have heard he and the volunteer pulled the guy to the door/safety and he was not mentioned ANYWHERE. So thank you for mentioning him.
Morristown

Morristown, TN

#6 Jul 9, 2010
Yes, thank you for mentioning Bo. He put his life on the line as well by helping drag the man out of the house and there was NO mention of his name in the paper...go figure!
what the crap

Morristown, TN

#7 Jul 31, 2010
some guy maybe bo i aint sure pulled him out none of the others did!!! they just said they did!! u should have seen the family praisin cribley and hayes... sayin they were there heros and crap... well just to let them two know WE know yall didnt do it and thanks for lyin to all of us no wonder yall couldnt give us any info... thanks for who ever did pull him out!!! Wish it could have turned out better!!! RIP DONNIE STEPP!!! I love u papaw
sorry

Nashville, TN

#8 Aug 1, 2010
Sorry about the loss of Donnie Stepp but I am a firefighter that was on scene and Ronnie Hayes, David Cribley, and Bo Hoover all worked together to try to save him. Also, there was a woman officer who attempted to rescue him, but the smoke was too heavy (not sure on her name). Thanks to everyone that helped.
yup

Morristown, TN

#9 Aug 1, 2010
fire fighters don't do there job to be hero's or have there name posted all over the newspapers..that being said... yes they did save the man so yes he should have gotten something sad about him i agree but i bet if you asked BO he really wouldn't mind it either way as long as he got his job done.
what the crap

Morristown, TN

#10 Aug 1, 2010
but still cribley wanted to act like he done it all and when my boyfriend seen him a couple of nights ago he told on his self he let it slip out that he didnt do it so..... but its not fair for him to lie to my family even if he did help he still didnt tell the whole truth
katy

Warwick, RI

#11 Aug 1, 2010
Thank you wrote:
Thank you for thanking Bo. From what I have heard he and the volunteer pulled the guy to the door/safety and he was not mentioned ANYWHERE. So thank you for mentioning him.
I heard bo wasn't even there. I heard he was back at the station playing basketball.
Firefighter

Nashville, TN

#12 Aug 1, 2010
Being a firefighter myself it takes a team to get the job done no matter what and its really hard for us to deal with a loss no matter if we knew them or not and I know it is very hard for the family also and im very sorry about the loss. I personally know that I would risk my life to save anyone and to me that is no hero its just having concern for others and their safety. Sorry for the loss of Donnie I know its hard to see someone go.
donnies grand baby

Morristown, TN

#13 Aug 1, 2010
but how can someone lie to the family like that it broke my heart thinkin he tried to save my papaw and i was lookin at those 2 beautiful kids of his... they could have lost there daddy... well thats what i was thinkin at the time... but i mean i know he had a part in it but i dont think he done everything everyone is puttin out... i would like to know who really did it and thank them i want the real person that tried to save him know how thankful the family really is and that is comin from donnie stepps granddaughter.... but hey fire guy that was there??? could u give me any info on what really happened? everyine is tellin us diff things and we would really like to know what happened... i mean he told me the night before to come home and i didnt i feel like if i was there i could have saved him... i think he knew something bad was goin to happen and i just need some closer... if so please email me [email protected]
donnies grand baby

Morristown, TN

#14 Aug 1, 2010
sorry wrote:
Sorry about the loss of Donnie Stepp but I am a firefighter that was on scene and Ronnie Hayes, David Cribley, and Bo Hoover all worked together to try to save him. Also, there was a woman officer who attempted to rescue him, but the smoke was too heavy (not sure on her name). Thanks to everyone that helped.
Officer wolfe
donnies grand baby

Morristown, TN

#15 Aug 1, 2010
Morristown wrote:
Yes, thank you for mentioning Bo. He put his life on the line as well by helping drag the man out of the house and there was NO mention of his name in the paper...go figure!
maybe he was the one that didnt want no one to know who he was????
Firefighter

Nashville, TN

#16 Aug 7, 2010
Bo Hoover,Ronnie Hayes,David Cribley all helped in the rescue and officer Wolfe made a brave attempt but she could not get to him, these people I know for a fact but if there are anymore I am very sorry. But, with all respects everyone works as a team and if we didnt the rescue would have not been made in the first place and In my opinion if you want to thank anyone write letters to the departments that were on scene and it would mean more than one on one because we do the job because we love to help people and make them as safe as possible. This is just my opinion, you are entitled to do what you please. God Bless You and your family.
Know Your Bible

Morristown, TN

#17 Aug 7, 2010
Jude 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what's better sex in morning or at night ? (Jun '09) 53 min Happily Married 31
Kita Denton 1 hr Joe 5
koch foods (Mar '12) 1 hr Meh 90
drugs at Lincoln Manor (May '13) 1 hr Back 34
Amvets - TN Veterans 1 hr J Reb 5
Black Panthers 1 hr King Kong 12
Roy McGee in Rehab 2 hr Amanda 5

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance