What to feed my German Shepherd???

Posted in the Morristown Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Shepherd

Morristown, TN

#1 Nov 22, 2008
I HAVE A 6 WEEK OLD GERMAN SHEPHERD PUUPY AND THE VET HAS TOLD ME TO FEED MY PUPPY PURINA PUPPY CHOW. EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN READING THE PAST FEW DAYS IS SAYING THAT PURINA IS THE WORST FOOD I CAN FEED MY DOG? PLAESE HELP I DONT WANT TO HURT MY DOG, I WANT TO FEED HIM WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM?????????? THANKS
outdorsman

United States

#3 Nov 22, 2008
i have always used purina. i feed them puppy chow when they are little and dog chow when they are older. great food for health and coat. it also not always good to change your dog food alot when they are little, sometimes it upset thier lil bellies.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#4 Nov 22, 2008
Shepherd wrote:
I HAVE A 6 WEEK OLD GERMAN SHEPHERD PUUPY AND THE VET HAS TOLD ME TO FEED MY PUPPY PURINA PUPPY CHOW. EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN READING THE PAST FEW DAYS IS SAYING THAT PURINA IS THE WORST FOOD I CAN FEED MY DOG? PLAESE HELP I DONT WANT TO HURT MY DOG, I WANT TO FEED HIM WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM?????????? THANKS
Purina is otherwise called PUKINA....don't go there! If you have to feed dog food, then go with EVO, Dr. Moyers has it.
Otherwise, Id' start your pup on some raw meat and bones. Yes, it's the best you can feed your dog. Bones...only raw, no cooked
I have been a raw feeder for 9 years. My dogs are thriving and are all doing well.
ALL dog food is bad for your dog. Remember these are carnivores, they are meat eating animals. Please consider a raw diet for your dog. All the "old wives tales about bones are just hogwash", bones will be great for your GS, simply because it will cause you GS to grow naturally. Too much calcium as well as too little works both ways.
Well, I've probably let the cat out of the bag regarding who I am, but I can't help it. I am probably the sole raw feeder in this town, but if you want a healthy dog, and I am all about healthy dogs, then look to raw feeding. There is no way that you can go wrong and your dogs as well as your vet will be amazed.
When it comes to an animal, I'm all for the natural way of raising them.
Start your dog with chicken necks, feed your dog whole prey the size of your dogs head. Yes, if that means a small hen, then feed him that,
wolves fasted for days w/out food. That's the way you feed raw.
I would be happy to meet up with you to discuss this.
really now

Morristown, TN

#5 Nov 22, 2008
Shepherd wrote:
my daughter has a German Shepherd, and she has always fed her Iams. A little expensive, but a really good food for you puppy,(and in a little while, dog.)

Location hidden

#6 Nov 22, 2008
really now wrote:
<quoted text>
my daughter has a German Shepherd, and she has always fed her Iams. A little expensive, but a really good food for you puppy,(and in a little while, dog.)
Iams is the worst too, as a matter of fact any dog food is bad.
If you don't believe me, pay attention to your dog food commercials:
All natural..fruits veggies, meat. They are trying to compete with raw feeders. There is a HUGE market for raw feeders, check out the internet..it's unbelievable.
you can buy, rabbit, deer, lamb, tripe,( not the tripe at the grocery, that's bleached tripe,don't go there), chicken, beef hearts, kangaroo, bear, buffalo,and the list goes on. HUGE business.
They are all trying to compete w/a raw diet. Yet a raw diet is waaaaay more cheaper than buying dried food. Thing is dogs don't need veggies, that's a waste of time, stick to meat and bones.
Dog food companies buy 3 D meat, that means Dead, dyeing and diseased. Is that what you want to feed your dog?
Not me. I feed raw.
freebird

Morristown, TN

#7 Nov 22, 2008
Shepherd wrote:
little expensive but i recommend royal canian it is only sold at pet stores but that is all we use for our dogs

“Just little ol' me”

Indy

#8 Nov 23, 2008
Feed it Iams or a good quality food. Science Diet is good, as is Eukenuba. You can buy Iams at Walmart. I feed my dogs a Pedigee, Iams, and Science Diet on a rotating basis. Good luck!!
really now

Morristown, TN

#9 Nov 23, 2008
Yasher wrote:
<quoted text>
Iams is the worst too, as a matter of fact any dog food is bad.
If you don't believe me, pay attention to your dog food commercials:
All natural..fruits veggies, meat. They are trying to compete with raw feeders. There is a HUGE market for raw feeders, check out the internet..it's unbelievable.
you can buy, rabbit, deer, lamb, tripe,( not the tripe at the grocery, that's bleached tripe,don't go there), chicken, beef hearts, kangaroo, bear, buffalo,and the list goes on. HUGE business.
They are all trying to compete w/a raw diet. Yet a raw diet is waaaaay more cheaper than buying dried food. Thing is dogs don't need veggies, that's a waste of time, stick to meat and bones.
Dog food companies buy 3 D meat, that means Dead, dyeing and diseased. Is that what you want to feed your dog?
Not me. I feed raw.
she has never had any problems wih Iams. Her dog is now 11 years old and is in perfect shape.
recycle

AOL

#10 Nov 23, 2008
Or you could just go out and gather road kill and the road crews wouldn't have to pick them up. That would be a great way to recycle and do community service work also. lol Just kidding. I used to have a GS, and purina puppy chow and dog chow did just fine with him. We did however live on a farm and he caught rabbits and groundhogs all the time. Most people think GS's eat a lot but actually, they eat less than some smaller breeds.

Since: Nov 07

Morristown, TN

#11 Nov 23, 2008
We have a GSD also, and have had great luck with Nutro.

Once your puppy gets to be an adult, Nutro makes a great formual for large dogs containing glucosamine - which will hopefully help stave off hip dysplasia.

Best of luck. Great dogs for sure.

Since: Nov 08

tennessee

#12 Nov 23, 2008
fed my redbone coon hound ol' roy since the day i got him at 6 months old, he died 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 16.
a girl fed a rottweiler i had a piece of chicken, a bone punctured his intestines and he died, age 2. i would not recommend fowl in a diet for dogs, the bones splinter, since they are hollow for flight, and get caught all through the gi tract. cats are built to eat bird bones though.
purina is a good feed, so is iams. alpo is what i fed my black GERMAN shepard, he thrived on it. make sure the dog gets tons of exercise and training, a bored puppy is oftn destructive. good luck.
For Heavens Sake

Bean Station, TN

#13 Nov 24, 2008
MissinMotown wrote:
According to the Animal Shelter thread there is an over population of animals there. Why don't you see if they can grind you up some cats.
There is always an IDIOT on every post.

“Whatever You Are Be A Good One”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#14 Nov 24, 2008
Royal Canine is what they recommend for my Bully.

She isn't crazy about it but several vets said it's the best food I can give her.

I mix a little something into it to make it more enticing.

“Bite Me”

Since: Jul 08

Chattanooga, Tennessee

#15 Nov 24, 2008
Table scraps. No bones. I about choked to death on one.

Since: Mar 08

Russellville

#16 Nov 24, 2008
kenpo_mofo wrote:
We have a GSD also, and have had great luck with Nutro.
Once your puppy gets to be an adult, Nutro makes a great formual for large dogs containing glucosamine - which will hopefully help stave off hip dysplasia.
Best of luck. Great dogs for sure.
Nutro is a good food, I used to feed it to my first Dal, she loved it. Then I found a food at the Co-op when reading the Nutritional labels worked better for her. The Dal I have now is on Science Diet for Sensitive Skin. All of these are good foods. I buy mine at either Co-op or Tractor Supply since we don't have a pet store to speak of.

Since: Nov 08

tennessee

#17 Nov 24, 2008
science diet! i couldn't think of the name of it! great stuff, dogs with skin issues like a lot of dobies have great results. i had a dotted dog once, someone stole her. lamb and rice is the best flavor, bunch of good stuff in there.
Karin

AOL

#18 Nov 24, 2008
For Heavens Sake wrote:
<quoted text>There is always an IDIOT on every post.
Idiot is an understatement, but I can't come up with one that is appropriate. Such nonsense, if u have nothing to contribute, why the BS, please...agree with your thought...
Jeff McDaniel

Morristown, TN

#19 Nov 24, 2008
Dont feed him any puppy formula. Feed him adult food as adult has too much protein. I have a German Shepard from Baden K-9 in Canada. He eats raw chicken at least 4 days a week. The others he eats cottage cheese and yogurt for his digestive tract. He does get purina maximum lamb and rice formula and has had that since he went on solid food.

Also, after he is a year old fast him one day a week as it keeps them very alert.

If you need more specifics email me at [email protected]
Jeff McDaniel

Morristown, TN

#20 Nov 24, 2008
I meant puppy formula has too much protein.
Jeff McDaniel

Morristown, TN

#21 Nov 24, 2008
My dog eats very little dog food......he pretty much eats raw meat, eggs and yogurt. You can also go to the chicken houses and buy the ones that die. Oh and be sure that you freeze all the meat first. Like leg quarters and breasts for at least 7 days, and whole chickens from chicken houses at least 12-14 days to kill anything they may have.

Whole dead chicken froze for 12-14 days feathers and all as the feathers aid in digestion is also a good food. Just freeze, thaw and cleave the chest open to get him started.

Heres my dudes mom on the wall.

http://www.badenk9.com/phpv/augusttraining.ph...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walter State president says he only works with ... 14 min Leadarse 5
Is it ok to wish that Jesus was dead? 38 min mary 8
All smokers should go ahead and die 2 hr Tax payer 26
3 brats at Wal-Mart Monday night 4 hr skyedove 52
cheating at otics (Oct '12) 7 hr Miller 15
Kelly Livesay---P.O.S (Aug '16) 7 hr Killerk 4
linda parrott stole my black suv today 9 hr Skunk 4

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance