Avoid Tooley's Transmission

Avoid Tooley's Transmission

Posted in the Morristown Forum

Unauthorized repair

Morristown, TN

#1 Dec 11, 2009
I had a leak in my transmission about 4 months ago and took my truck to Tooleys. They were suppose to look at my truck and call me with the price to fix it. I received a voice mail from them saying it was going to cost $350 to fix but by the time I could call them back they had closed for the day. The next day I received a call telling me my truck was fixed and I could come pick it up. Upon arrival I was greeted with a smile and a $989 dollar bill. When I asked who authorized the repair? They had nothing to say. I felt obligated to pay because I was leaving town 3 days later and needed my truck. Last week I had the same issue with my transmission and against my better judgement I took it back thinking it would be covered under warranty. WRONG! I had them to write on my ticket to call customer to authorize any repair! They looked at the truck and told me it would cost $800 to fix. Due to my first experience I asked them to fax me a detailed written copy of everything they had to do to it. The fax total was much different that the price I was told over the phone. The total they had faxed was over $1,300. I told them to let me think about it because I was not sure what I wanted to do. The next day I called them and told them that price was too expensive compared to the previous price and that I had decided to have my truck towed from their shop and I was not going to let them do the repair. The next day I arrived at Tooleys with a tow truck on the way and was informed that I could not take the transmission but I could pick it tomorrow. I asked why? He responded "so I can get my parts out of it." I asked what parts? He said "the parts I used to fix it, that transmission is fixed and ready to go back in." I asked who authorized them to do any repairs? At this point he had nothing to say other than "you need to just let us put it back in, you wont find a cheaper price." I informed them I had already found a transmission cheaper than their price. At that point he continued trying to bully and pressure me into letting them finish the unauthorized repair. However at this point I decided I was not about to pay them another penny and just had my truck towed to a mechanic that charged about half the price. I am speaking from my own personal experience. This company has treated me unfairly both times that I have used their service by raising the price at least $550 more than what I was told and preforming unauthorized repairs! I have talked to several people who claim to have had a similar experience with them. This seems to be a common practice wtih Tooleys. I would NEVER reccomend a friend or family to take their vehicle to Tooleys.
cola-dreamer

United States

#2 Dec 11, 2009
Sorry your OP got off track. A guy that use to work there just 'fixed' my transmission for 1200. We didn't even get home and the same thing happend as before. Now he still has my van and all the money. A week has gone by and he won't answer my calls...he apparently taught everyone who works there how to work on them...
Karma mustBreal after all

Kodak, TN

#3 Dec 11, 2009
cola-dreamer wrote:
Sorry your OP got off track. A guy that use to work there just 'fixed' my transmission for 1200. We didn't even get home and the same thing happend as before. Now he still has my van and all the money. A week has gone by and he won't answer my calls...he apparently taught everyone who works there how to work on them...
Couldn't have happened to a better person. Merry Christmas, hag.
cola-dreamer

United States

#4 Dec 11, 2009
Ignore flower she's just mad she's not the center of attention. She hijacked the other thread also.
flower

Nashville, TN

#5 Dec 12, 2009
cola-dreamer wrote:
Ignore flower she's just mad she's not the center of attention. She hijacked the other thread also.
Are you a Vagitarian? You are very sick person.
Jason

Morristown, TN

#6 Dec 12, 2009
topix exposed, oh yes b s!
2centz

Morristown, TN

#7 Dec 12, 2009
Unauthorized repair wrote:
I had a leak in my transmission about 4 months ago and took my truck to Tooleys. They were suppose to look at my truck and call me with the price to fix it. I received a voice mail from them saying it was going to cost $350 to fix but by the time I could call them back they had closed for the day. The next day I received a call telling me my truck was fixed and I could come pick it up. Upon arrival I was greeted with a smile and a $989 dollar bill. When I asked who authorized the repair? They had nothing to say. I felt obligated to pay because I was leaving town 3 days later and needed my truck. Last week I had the same issue with my transmission and against my better judgement I took it back thinking it would be covered under warranty. WRONG! I had them to write on my ticket to call customer to authorize any repair! They looked at the truck and told me it would cost $800 to fix. Due to my first experience I asked them to fax me a detailed written copy of everything they had to do to it. The fax total was much different that the price I was told over the phone. The total they had faxed was over $1,300. I told them to let me think about it because I was not sure what I wanted to do. The next day I called them and told them that price was too expensive compared to the previous price and that I had decided to have my truck towed from their shop and I was not going to let them do the repair. The next day I arrived at Tooleys with a tow truck on the way and was informed that I could not take the transmission but I could pick it tomorrow. I asked why? He responded "so I can get my parts out of it." I asked what parts? He said "the parts I used to fix it, that transmission is fixed and ready to go back in." I asked who authorized them to do any repairs? At this point he had nothing to say other than "you need to just let us put it back in, you wont find a cheaper price." I informed them I had already found a transmission cheaper than their price. At that point he continued trying to bully and pressure me into letting them finish the unauthorized repair. However at this point I decided I was not about to pay them another penny and just had my truck towed to a mechanic that charged about half the price. I am speaking from my own personal experience. This company has treated me unfairly both times that I have used their service by raising the price at least $550 more than what I was told and preforming unauthorized repairs! I have talked to several people who claim to have had a similar experience with them. This seems to be a common practice wtih Tooleys. I would NEVER reccomend a friend or family to take their vehicle to Tooleys.
That's a horrible experience. I hope the other place is better for you. I've heard a lot of horror stories about mechanics.
unauthorized repair

Milan, TN

#8 Dec 12, 2009
FLOWER, untill you can act like an adult DO NOT COME BACK TO THIS POST! This is for an issue I have, that I am trying inform others and get assistance from others in the community that have been ripped off by this company! This is not a post to squabble about your childish behavior!

If you have had an issue with Tooleys Transmission send Don Dare (6 on your side) an e mail so he can come interview them and ask them why they continue to fix items that are unauthorized and raise prices on customers without their knowledge! Here's a link to put in your info to contact him.

http://knoxville.wate.com/contact/6_on_your_s...
Andy

United States

#9 Oct 29, 2014
I dropped my trans off there about a week ago. When I get it back I will let y'all know the quality og work, price, etc.

“To thine ownself be true!”

Since: Jan 13

In the shadows.

#10 Oct 29, 2014
Andy wrote:
I dropped my trans off there about a week ago. When I get it back I will let y'all know the quality og work, price, etc.
Good luck. I hope your experience with them is better than most other people I know. I personally wouldn't take mine to them simply based on word of mouth, but you might have better luck. Either way, let us know.
dodgeem

Morristown, TN

#11 Thursday Aug 13
I'm open to suggestions, I believe I need a total rebuild on my truck. Tooleys is about 2 1/2 miles from me, but I'm glad I looked here first. I was considering them, just because I live so close. I would like to know the name of the other mechanic you used. Thanks for the heads up!
lol

Morristown, TN

#12 Thursday Aug 13
dodgeem wrote:
I'm open to suggestions, I believe I need a total rebuild on my truck. Tooleys is about 2 1/2 miles from me, but I'm glad I looked here first. I was considering them, just because I live so close. I would like to know the name of the other mechanic you used. Thanks for the heads up!
Tooleys has done our transmission work for years & I mean 25+ years. Never had an issue & the pricing is comparable to other places. We've checked around at other places in the past when we knew for sure what the issue was & we did find one man a little cheaper. Tooleys charged us what that man would have charged us which he didn't have to do.
ET Bass

Bowling Green, KY

#13 Thursday Aug 13
No way ..... Ain't no way I'd have him do anything for me ever again ..He did my truck , still have issues .. Take it back over and over , still the same .. He ran the bill up a extra 4 hundred too .. I refused to pay because it wasn't what we agreed upon and finally adjusted it and agreed that he'd made a mistake ..$3000 wasted !! Lesson learned

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do rebel flags seem to be mostly on cars un... 13 min Civil War Facts 30
Hottest/Best Looking Man in Morristown (Nov '09) 14 min Hottie 253
Need paint!! 26 min Jon 3
Question for Facebook users who receive friend ... (Nov '09) 26 min Say What 44
Motorcycle Wreck on Panther Creek Rd 45 min cousin 26
Help white girl pregnate with Mexican (Dec '12) 46 min mechanically incl... 30
Poll What you enjoy most About Morristown ? 49 min Local 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morristown Mortgages