manley elementary school

Posted in the Morristown Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sally

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jul 24, 2009
I am planning on relocating to the area and I was wondering what everyone thought about manley school. Both the good and the bad.
JustME

Morristown, TN

#2 Jul 24, 2009
sally wrote:
I am planning on relocating to the area and I was wondering what everyone thought about manley school. Both the good and the bad.
It is a really good school.
JustME

Morristown, TN

#3 Jul 24, 2009
It is a really good school.
sally

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jul 24, 2009
is this side of morristown better than the other sides. I say this because some areas do not look as nice as others. Are the middle and high schools just as good as manley?
Shy LuBuff

Morristown, TN

#5 Jul 24, 2009
The west side of Morristown is considered the rich side. Do not be fooled though because many areas of the east side of money also.
Send your kids to Manley, West View, and either high school and you will be fine.
Manley, Alpha, and West View are considered the rich folk school even though poverty children will attend these schools. East Ridge is also a strong school as well as the Russelville area. Many schools in Hamblen County carry a great reputation (Hillcrest, John Hay, Morristown West), but do no be afraid to send your school to any school in Hamblen County. I would probably back away from Meadowview Middle.
mythought

Morristown, TN

#6 Jul 24, 2009
Shy LuBuff wrote:
The west side of Morristown is considered the rich side. Do not be fooled though because many areas of the east side of money also.
Send your kids to Manley, West View, and either high school and you will be fine.
Manley, Alpha, and West View are considered the rich folk school even though poverty children will attend these schools. East Ridge is also a strong school as well as the Russelville area. Many schools in Hamblen County carry a great reputation (Hillcrest, John Hay, Morristown West), but do no be afraid to send your school to any school in Hamblen County. I would probably back away from Meadowview Middle.
I know several teachers and staff at meadowview and i would but them up against any other school in the county. Yes, Meadowview does serve a more diverse student population than any other school in the county but that does not mean it is not a good school.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7 Jul 24, 2009
I've had kids at Manley long enough to have gone through 3 different principles and I love the school and their staff. I only had one bad year with one teacher (she's retired now thank goodness). But, I think that's a pretty good track record for as many years as I've been there. However, I am sure the other schools have a lot to offer as well. Over all, I think our Hamblen Co. public school system is a good one.
susan

Morristown, TN

#8 Jul 24, 2009
sally wrote:
We moved to Russellville because we heard how great Russellville Elementary is. My kids haven't gone yet, but, we hear its the best elementary school in the county. It is on the East side but, we love it here.
Hardy har

Morristown, TN

#9 Jul 24, 2009
mythought wrote:
<quoted text>
I know several teachers and staff at meadowview and i would but them up against any other school in the county. Yes, Meadowview does serve a more diverse student population than any other school in the county but that does not mean it is not a good school.
Meadowview? That is why students are given the option not to attend there even though they are in zone. Also, which school used the most comp and sick days? Meadowview.
sally

Knoxville, TN

#10 Jul 24, 2009
susan: I read that manley was rated 7 accoring to there TCAP and russellville elemntary in russellville,tn was rated 5 according to the TCAP and meadowview was rated a 3 According to the TCAP
WHS

Morristown, TN

#11 Jul 24, 2009
Alpha, i think is a much better school than Manley. Then continue to West View and then to Morristown West.
what

Morristown, TN

#12 Jul 24, 2009
susan wrote:
<quoted text>
We moved to Russellville because we heard how great Russellville Elementary is. My kids haven't gone yet, but, we hear its the best elementary school in the county. It is on the East side but, we love it here.
You heard right. It is the best school.
Manley Zone

Morristown, TN

#13 Jul 24, 2009
My child attends Manley and yes we made sure we bought our house in the Manley zone, Alpha is also from what i hear from friends excellent! They really encourage parents/ grandparents to volunteer.
Go eagles!!
Johnny Dakota Jones III

Morristown, TN

#14 Jul 24, 2009
Manley or Alpha they are pretty much the same. Both schools are strong as well as Russellville.
bjt

Morristown, TN

#15 Jul 24, 2009
I have heard good things about all of the K-5 schools even the ones in what might be considered lower income areas.

I think we judge the school by the income of the area as opposed to the actual performance of the administration of that school.

TheDebator

Newport, TN

#16 Jul 24, 2009
The principal at Alpha is much nicer than Dr . Barnard Patrick at Manley. She isn't so friendly and Alpha is a greeat school as well as all Hamblen County schools. We have a great school system .
Tired

Morristown, TN

#17 Oct 29, 2009
I know I am a little late on this topic but I wanted to state my opinion. My daughter goes to Manley and my son goes to Lincoln.(Its a very long story dealing with zoning and I am not a "fave" down at the School Board.) I have to say that I was more impressed with the kindergarten teachers and cirriculum at Lincoln than at Manley. My son has surprised me on many occasions with how fast he has learned and the methods used. All in all, I am satisified with both schools so far. I hope this helps.
Not Surprised

Morristown, TN

#18 Oct 30, 2009
We moved to Russellville for the schools and I am so glad that we did. The teachers and principals go above and beyond for their students. Both principals know most all of the students by name and greet the kids at the front door most mornings and on rainy days they are waiting with umbrellas to walk students from the car to the door. They really push for parental involvement with many opportunities to volunteer. I know that West View is a school with lots of money floating around and many people feel with that fact alone makes it a great school. I attended there way back when and have since had family that went there, but there is no way I would let my boys go there if at all possible. West View was a big contributing factor for us making the move to be zoned for East Ridge. Sometimes money can be the root of evil, and please understand that I am NOT saying everyone there is evil, but many students are judged by what they have or don't have. I feel it is probably harder on the girls.
tallman

Morristown, TN

#19 Oct 30, 2009
...west view is an amazing school with the highest in academics for the entire county for middle schools...we have had 3 out of 3 of our children to receive a wonderful education from west view {one still currently enrolled}...several of the west high teachers have made comment that it was obvious that our children came from west view...honor roll all the way!...as for the 'money' that people keep talking about...west view is not a title one school that receives all of the state funding...the money there is from student fundraising and donations from businesses...and yet...and to my knowledge they still have the most computers for the students in the computer labs...i compared 'apples to apples' when we were told of the state report card that tennessee does on all of the school systems...tops for hamblen county: there are a couple elementary schools - especially alpha...middle school was west view...and west high & east are similar best of my memory...we decided to build a home on the west end...based on academics of the schools...not sports...though our children do participate in them - yet it was not a requirement for school selection as some people choose to do...

...as for the 'wealthy' families at west view...there are a few...but my children has never complained about what they don't have or what others do...that my friend, begins at home and the teaching of self worth...playing 'keep up' makes everyone miserable...your supposed to be happy with yourself - not with material things...

fyi - our oldest that graduated from west stated...their fondest years of schooling were at west view and if they could repeat those years...they would in a heart beat...speaks volumes of school!
Debbie

Morristown, TN

#20 Oct 30, 2009
Here is a good website to check on how schools in Tennessee rank: http://www.education-consumers.org/tnproject/...

You can select the county and individual schools. The 2009 info hasn't been posted yet, but should be on there soon. I think the state releases report card information in November.

By the way, it's nice to see that this forum hasn't resorted to the name-calling level of some. We all have our personal preferences and dislikes. It's nice to see that this discussion hasn't become derogatory.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hamblen County's Favorite Substitute Teacher (Oct '13) 8 min Prima Miller 11
Josh McMahan (Sep '14) 19 min Darwinism at is f... 7
Barking dogs on Jaybird Rd 21 min Annoyed Neighbor 5
My Phobia; My Fear 37 min WTSenior 2
does any one know rosa caudill 39 min lazy 7
Poll Do you sleep in a recliner instead of a bed? (Dec '10) 1 hr armystutz 29
who nos rob registar? 1 hr Brandi 55
Restaurant Servers Leaving Too Quickly To Get R... 1 hr Whuteva 44
SCAMMERS on FACEBOOK , who r they 8 hr Julia 51
More from around the web