Red Light & Speeding Cameras in Morri...

Red Light & Speeding Cameras in Morristown--Communism at its best

Posted in the Morristown Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Morristown, TN

#1 Jun 25, 2008
In Tuesday's (6-24-08) Citizen Tribune, the City Council and the Mayor (probably just Crumley's idea that they fall in line with) is starting to put up red light cameras and speeding cameras throughout our once great city.
What else can happen in the first term of "Mayor" Barile besides turning the city lights down at night. Property taxes went up 40% with the county using the idea if we do not approve a property tax here then then we will raise the sales tax.
The lastest raise will make Hamblen County the largest sales taxed county in the state and maybe in the Nation. The Mayor putting signs in a dog pen on the front of the City Center's property. The waste of putting flower beds and something weird in the pavement for asthetics in the middle of town that from what I been told can not even be cleaned by the street sweepers we have.
However, I can not put all the blame on her since the City Council evidentially approved all of these things. No City Center is being built that has been promised since Gary Johnson was Mayor. But I do remember the City having a $100 million wish list last year which was blown or they would not have to keep raising all of our taxes and nothing to show for it. Quit taxing us to death and spending it all on crap. Although, we do get exactly what we deserve beacause we keep voting the same people in and we did vote for the KAB Mayor Barile.
The red light and speeding cameras may not be the ending but sounds like the start of a path that Big Brother is watching you and will be watching even closer when the cameras went up. One step closer to Communism!
RedLightCameraCr ock

Newport, TN

#2 Jun 25, 2008
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...

the proof is here..
Just wait until someone DIES from a rearend collision at one of the MONEY MAKING intersections.
I hope the city of Morristown gets it's pants sued off along with RedFlex..
NAZISM at it's best.
RedLightCameraCr ock

Newport, TN

#3 Jun 25, 2008
it will be fun to watch and see this BRIGHT IDEA go up in flames... I wonder how many HAMBLEN COUNTY and CITY OFFICIALS will be CAUGHT breaking the law at the intersections they are so eager to protect and defend against traffic violations.. I wonder if they will have to pay their fines?? Or will it be forgiven by the "good ole boy" Morristown way of law...I for one, will be around with a video camera keeping tabs on the timing of the yellow lights.. we will have to catch this criminal government in the act of stealing the hard earned dollars of it's citizens...
crazy

Gainesville, FL

#4 Jun 26, 2008
i agree, they are crazy. everyone is always looking for a way to make some money. i don't believe that the city or county officials will have to pay fines. i just wonder how many people will get tickets just because the officer watching knows the car of someone they don't like.
wondering

United States

#5 Jun 27, 2008
is this going to be something put at all lights? or just a few here and there?

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 27, 2008
Lemme say this, my husband, being the speed demon he is, got a ticket IN THE MAIL! It had a picture of the vehicle he was in and the liscense plate. LOLOLOLOL...Thats what he gets for thinking he can fly! OOOHHH!! I need to pay it, Im glad I remembered that!
Watch-Dog

Morristown, TN

#7 Jun 27, 2008
Slam the brakes on when they change.
Larry J

Jefferson City, TN

#8 Jun 27, 2008
These things ain't right:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/17/1791.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/22/2268.asp

http://govkingsporttn.blogspot.com/2008/04/re...

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/12092

"I too was initially favorable to this initiative. That support was based upon my experiences with red-light cameras in German cities. There, the cities operate the camera system. It isnít about making money, but ensuring and protecting public safety. However these reports show that principal is not the primary motivation under the American imported model.

Itís a shame we couldnít import the German model without interjecting the capitalism germ into the mix. Manipulating yellow signal timing to deny drivers the 3-second standard is reprehensible. The companies which promote these camera systems do so as a business, which is understandable. However to base contracts strictly on profit-sharing of violators seems disingenuous.

The citizens have no way to know of the timing shift activated within these camera systems. Governments donít declare it upfront. There are no warning signs that the traffic lights have shortened yellow light times. Accidents have resulted from the installation of these systems.

It seems the community would be better served by improving our roadway system. Re-configure some intersections and roads, analyze and coordinate traffic signals to aid traffic in moving more smoothly around our community. Short these corrective first-step actions, it would seem that we would need to hire someone to inspect and monitor the camera system operation to insure drivers are not being victimized by the this safety enhancement that is suppose to protect them. A strange kettle of fish this!"

http://www.motorists.org/blog/red-light-camer...

With the money this city needs, watch your backside.
Stitcher Girl

Morristown, TN

#9 Jun 27, 2008
So, what if someone is driving your car? I know you'll be responsible for paying the ticket, but won't it also go against you on your driving record??? Even if you weren't driving??? Doesn't sound constitutional to me. And, what if someone steals your car... what a mess that would be to get that straightened out! Also, like another poster said, the timing of our lights are all out of whack. At the red light at 11E and King Avenue (if you're crossing 11E), you only have about 3-4 seconds to accelerate and get across the street. I know that for a fact because I videotaped it with my cell phone, IN CASE I'M EVER INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT THERE, I'll have the proof.

Also, there is a potential for abuse of this system... and there's always a bad apple in EVERY bunch.

They try to say that they're concerned with saftey. I don't buy it. Or, at least that's not their primary concern. Their primary concern is to generate revenue, and that makes these cameras WRONG! They're trying to bring in money any way they can because they are desperate.

I, for one, will be taking the back streets, and WILL NOT go around these cameras if I can help it.
been there

Morristown, TN

#10 Jun 27, 2008
You can either pay the fine and it doesn't get turned in on anyone's insurance or driving record OR you can turn the name of the person driving the car & the authorities will take it from there. At least it was my experience
Stitcher Girl

Morristown, TN

#11 Jun 27, 2008
been there wrote:
You can either pay the fine and it doesn't get turned in on anyone's insurance or driving record OR you can turn the name of the person driving the car & the authorities will take it from there. At least it was my experience
Well, then, that just PROVES that it's a money racquet! I think I will just avoid the cameras all together.
Thanks for the info!

“CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!”

Since: Jun 08

morristown

#12 Jun 27, 2008
been there wrote:
So I could blame it on my Husband HAHAHAHAHA!
Stitcher Girl

Morristown, TN

#13 Jun 27, 2008
Well, now, that WOULD be an upside to it, Lisa B... blame the old hubby! LOL
BK117ez

Morristown, TN

#14 Jun 29, 2008
Red light cameras and speed cameras are unconstitutional and therefore are a waste of Morristown tax payers money. Article eight of the bill of rights states ... "nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him" Cameras do not meet this requirement, the accused does not have any way of questioning the accuser.

Article the eighth [Amendment VI] US Bill OF Rights

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.
RedLightCameraCr ock

Newport, TN

#15 Jun 29, 2008
Like stated above, let's see someone slam on the brakes and cause a terrible rearend collision, killing someone, then we will see what happens... Whoever heard of a yellow light meaning STOP??? Heck, if yellow means stop, then let's just do away with the yellow light, and go from green to red.... that would make more sense.. now wouldn't it? LOL!
This town, along with many others across this CRIMINALLY MANAGED United States is nothing more than a 2 bit banana republic.
I wonder if the city officials will be held responsible for their "violations?"
RedLightCameraCr ock

Newport, TN

#16 Jun 29, 2008
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/16/1688.asp

Minnesota Supreme Court Strikes Down Red Light Cameras

The supreme court found that Minneapolis had disregarded a state law imposing uniformity of traffic laws across the state. The city's photo ticket program offered the accused fewer due process protections than available to motorists prosecuted for the same offense in the conventional way after having been pulled over by a policeman. The court argued that Minneapolis had, in effect, created a new type of crime: "owner liability for red-light violations where the owner neither required nor knowingly permitted the violation."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...

The downside occurs when a ticket arrives in the mail with your name on it. It happened to Giff Nickol. He says he was driving fast on wet pavement in Baltimore when the traffic light turned from green to amber.

Nickol decided to go through the intersection, but the light turned red, and he got a ticket citing photographic evidence at the intersection. Nickol fought it, and won.

"This is not about insuring traffic safety," Nickol says, "it's about raising revenue."

He says his ticket was unfair because the amber light was too short. And he suspects this might have even been intentional.

"They don't make money unless people break the law," he says.
RedLightCameraCr ock

Newport, TN

#17 Jun 29, 2008
http://www.phantomalert.com/PhotoBlocker-and-...

How does PhotoBlocker Spray work?
A majority of red light & speed cameras utilize a strong flash to photograph the license plate on your car. Once sprayed on your license plate, PhotoBlockerís special formula produces a high-powered gloss that reflects the flash back towards the camera. This overexposes the image of your license plate, rendering the picture unreadable. With PhotoBlocker, your license plate is invisible to traffic cameras yet completely legible to the naked eye
LOL...

Since: Apr 08

Morristown, TN

#18 Jun 29, 2008
wondering wrote:
is this going to be something put at all lights? or just a few here and there?
I believe the newspaper said it would be on five lights. I believe it will be on more when the money starts rolling in.
wondering

United States

#19 Jun 30, 2008
which lights, did it say?

Since: Apr 08

Morristown, TN

#20 Jun 30, 2008
wondering wrote:
which lights, did it say?
I hope this is right
1. Morris Blvd @ main mall entrance
2. MB @ Haun Dr
3. MB @ Cumberland
4. MB @ AJ Highway
5. AJ @ 160

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jerry Miller (Oct '14) 4 min A Friend 6
different races mixing (Oct '13) 1 hr Interesting 123
Brandon and Tabitha 2 hr mcw 1
Who knows (DP) Daniel Peters? (Oct '13) 2 hr sabrina 19
christina swartz 3 hr hester 1
Abusive Pastor !!!!!! @ New Life Primitive Bap... 3 hr Helpful 36
Who predicts The Storms ? 5 hr Ms Sassy 4
More from around the web

Morristown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE