Food City plans 2 new Morristown stores

Mar 20, 2014 Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel 26

"We have operated in the Morristown region for a number of years and currently have four locations there, three of which are relatively older.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dafaq

Morristown, TN

#1 Mar 25, 2014
Why in the hell do we need 2 more stores?
curious

Charlotte, NC

#2 Mar 25, 2014
they are doing away with old stores when the new ones are built not like they are adding new stores on top of the ones already here

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#3 Mar 25, 2014
Why the hell not? Just why is it when a bussiness builds a new store, or a small business opens, it gets trashed here? why are they questioned why the do what they do? If a bussiness closes, people seem glad, remmember all the trashing of the burger truck? Just can't understand all the negative remarks about bussiness here.
lol

Bulls Gap, TN

#4 Mar 25, 2014
The new stores will replace the ones on West A J near the end of Morris blvd and the one on Cumberland out near East High.

Pizza, no one is "bashing" or "trashing" FC in this thread.. Just seems the OP is was asking why we needed two more stores (we have 4 currently, that would have made 6). I dont think they realized that the new ones were replacing two of the current stores.
Yep

Morristown, TN

#5 Mar 25, 2014
Screw FC when we have Price Less Foods... People need to wake up and see that KVAT are crooks. Their Shit is WAY overpriced.... And these little old women shop there and spend their checks there when they probably don't get much...
Luv Ingles

Morristown, TN

#6 Mar 25, 2014
Both of these new stores are being built in flood zones. That's bad enough, but when a company like Food City refuses to listen to customers, then the future does not bode well for them. They are overpriced, and their refusal to sell brand names and their creation of gimmicks to get people in their stores are not good business practices. They don't give a dam about their customers or the communities where they operate. All Steve Smith understands is how much he can make before he retires. He won't have to worry about the impact of his decisions. Ask the folks in Bluefield, West Virginia.
local

Morristown, TN

#7 Mar 25, 2014
lol wrote:
Pizza, no one is "bashing" or "trashing" FC in this thread..
You were saying?
lol

Bulls Gap, TN

#8 Mar 25, 2014
local wrote:
<quoted text>You were saying?
that the people who posted before I did weren't bashing.

I'm kidding. I can predict the future and know what some morons are going to post before they actually post it... BTW, that was sarcasm.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 25, 2014
Yea, no bashing here.....

“A looking in view.”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#10 Mar 25, 2014
With the value card system, they know beforehand what they will make in a months time. Raise it a buck here this week, on something else next week... A slick system. They have several local towns locked up, with FC being the only place to shop. Competition is badly needed.
Luv Ingles

Morristown, TN

#11 Mar 26, 2014
I imagine the new Walmart on the west end will be pretty stiff competition.
lol

Bulls Gap, TN

#12 Mar 26, 2014
DirtyFrank wrote:
With the value card system, they know beforehand what they will make in a months time. Raise it a buck here this week, on something else next week... A slick system. They have several local towns locked up, with FC being the only place to shop. Competition is badly needed.
Blame Kroger, Publix, and other grocery store chains for not coming to this town. The only two regional stores we have for his area are Ingles and Food City. Food City and Ingles can't "lock down" a town/city. If stores don't come in then they will never have the competition. We did have a Kroger back in the early 80's, but it shut down and left town.

The only sort of competition they have is Price Less Foods, but I really dont see them as a real contender to take away the people that shop at Ingles and FC.
So-over-the-bs

Morristown, TN

#13 Mar 26, 2014
Price Less? Seriously? Yeah, might be a better deal on a few things, but not by much. Yes, I've checked them out. Most things are the same price or more, but a few are cheaper. They do carry a few things that no one else does, so that is a bonus, but you pay dearly for those things. And they don't have most of the brands or items many people buy.

As for Food City, they rank #2 on low price, beaten only by Wal-Mart. Some of their prices are still outrageous, but many have come down. And they still beat Ingles by a mile and half! I don't understand why anyone shops at Ingles; they are ridiculous! Example: ice cream at Ingles -$6; same ice cream at Wal-Mart -$3.88. That's just one item, but why would you do that?

Location hidden

#14 Mar 26, 2014
So-over-the-bs wrote:
Price Less? Seriously? Yeah, might be a better deal on a few things, but not by much. Yes, I've checked them out. Most things are the same price or more, but a few are cheaper. They do carry a few things that no one else does, so that is a bonus, but you pay dearly for those things. And they don't have most of the brands or items many people buy.
As for Food City, they rank #2 on low price, beaten only by Wal-Mart. Some of their prices are still outrageous, but many have come down. And they still beat Ingles by a mile and half! I don't understand why anyone shops at Ingles; they are ridiculous! Example: ice cream at Ingles -$6; same ice cream at Wal-Mart -$3.88. That's just one item, but why would you do that?
Do you mean Mayfields ice cream at wal- mart is $3.88? It's 2 for for $6 at Ingles. Check their ads,
Yes

Morristown, TN

#15 Mar 26, 2014
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Blame Kroger, Publix, and other grocery store chains for not coming to this town. The only two regional stores we have for his area are Ingles and Food City. Food City and Ingles can't "lock down" a town/city. If stores don't come in then they will never have the competition. We did have a Kroger back in the early 80's, but it shut down and left town.
The only sort of competition they have is Price Less Foods, but I really dont see them as a real contender to take away the people that shop at Ingles and FC.
They got White Pine locked down... no other place to shop in that town....
The Verser

United States

#16 Mar 26, 2014
I just buy what is on the ValueCard.

Location hidden

#17 Mar 26, 2014
Yes wrote:
<quoted text>They got White Pine locked down... no other place to shop in that town....
Could White Pine support another grocery store?
lol

Bulls Gap, TN

#18 Mar 26, 2014
Yes wrote:
<quoted text>They got White Pine locked down... no other place to shop in that town....
Yes, that's because the evilness of Food City forces others off their turf and wont let them build a store..

Here, just in case you were confused, I will hold up my sarcasm sign just to let you know that what was said above is sarcastic.

Just because no one else builds a store there doesn't mean they cant. Typically means they dont see a reason to do so. Of course, like Pizza asked, could another grocery store survive in a town that small.. I would doubt it.

To "So-Over-the-BS" I mentioned Price Less because besides Ingles and Food City, what other grocery stores (Walmart is a department store that happens to sell groceries) are there in Morristown or the rest of the lakeway area? None. As I said, I dont see them as competition. I didn't include Walmart because so many people complains about Walmart.

Kroger, Pulbix, Trader Joe, Earthfare, etc. all have the closest stores in Knoxville or Johnson City. If Kroger came back to town then Food City and Ingles (and even WalMart) would have some competition, but I dont seem them opening a chain here.
So-over-the-bs

Morristown, TN

#19 Mar 26, 2014
Pizza Runner wrote:
<quoted text> Do you mean Mayfields ice cream at wal- mart is $3.88? It's 2 for for $6 at Ingles. Check their ads,
Nope. Check Blue Bunny. And Mayfield's is $2.97 every day at WalMart; Ingles prices are limited time sales. Almost everything is more at Ingles.
Fireball

Johnson City, TN

#20 Mar 26, 2014
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
So much truth in this. A lot of people like to hate on Food City because they're more of them around here. Truth is that's the case because the national chains like Publix and Kroger that gross hundreds of billions every year haven't shown much interest in the smaller communities in this region. Food City is basically a small chain, based near Bristol, with about a third of the locations as Priceless Foods but they've made the decision to serve places like White Pine. For me, if I can get it at Food City I'd much rather do that than buy from the evil empire of Walmart. I really don't mind Ingles, they're a nice regional chain too but are much more expensive than Food City, and soon they won't even have nicer stores.

Food City is spending millions to build 2 new stores in a town they probably lead in sales already, projected to create 400 to 500 new jobs in the shopping center. Yes, not the best jobs but people have to work to attract more professionals and high-paying jobs. The company is owned largely by employee-owned stock and is based locally. Hate on them all you want but they're definitely a much better company than anybody else selling groceries here and they actually open doors in cities of less than 50,000 people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any working girls in Morristown? 4 min Jake 11
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 8 min Huh 150,170
Koch foods 1 hr superdog 35
male boxer missing 1 hr Pitbullmom74 22
Hot Spot Pizza 2 hr bestpizzaever 28
Live Music Tonight Saturday, Sept 20 9pm-Midnight 3 hr henry 2
First baptist church in morristown 3 hr mee 69
The road to Walmart 15 hr Question 11
•••
•••
•••

Morristown Jobs

•••
•••