Hamblen County schools OPEN Monday

Hamblen County schools OPEN Monday

Posted in the Morristown Forum

Hamblen Teacher

Jefferson City, TN

#1 Jan 12, 2011
Hamblen County schools will be OPEN on Monday, January 17th!! Spread the word to all Hamblen County parents and students.

We will also go on President's Day and February 18th (which was a Professional Development day).
Boxerbabe

Morristown, TN

#2 Jan 12, 2011
I got a text message from the citizen tribune stating there would be school on monday Jan 17th and Monday Feb 21st but nothing mentioned about friday Feb 18th
It is True

Mount Juliet, TN

#3 Jan 13, 2011
It is on the HCBOE website that school will be open on February 18. All days are posted there......www.hcboe.net.
hahaha

Morristown, TN

#4 Jan 13, 2011
so r they trying to make up the days this way instead of taking away spring break... Before u go bashing me about saying taking away spring break ill state why i say that....

My childs birthday always falls in with spring break or within a couple days of spring break and i have taken him to the beach for his birthday since he was 2 yrs old and i have had it booked for a long time... I have called the hotel and they state that they will not be able to refund all of the money just 60% of it... So i just dont see how it is far to take away a break that they have always had scheduled...

Yes i understand they have to make up the days that they have been out and im fine with that... But i just figured that they would make them go half days on saturdays like we had to do... or extend the year a couple days or something....
Ls wife

White Pine, TN

#5 Jan 13, 2011
hahaha wrote:
so r they trying to make up the days this way instead of taking away spring break... Before u go bashing me about saying taking away spring break ill state why i say that....
My childs birthday always falls in with spring break or within a couple days of spring break and i have taken him to the beach for his birthday since he was 2 yrs old and i have had it booked for a long time... I have called the hotel and they state that they will not be able to refund all of the money just 60% of it... So i just dont see how it is far to take away a break that they have always had scheduled...
Yes i understand they have to make up the days that they have been out and im fine with that... But i just figured that they would make them go half days on saturdays like we had to do... or extend the year a couple days or something....
Plain and simple, go on your trip and allow your child to 'lay out of school'. No need to think the entire school system has to change for your plans. I'm not being ugly but I'm sure everyone could find a reason why this day or that day is not a good day but it's called accepting what is and moving on.
hahaha

Morristown, TN

#6 Jan 13, 2011
well the school system has said that it will be counted as unexcused and my child has perfect attendance thats why its a big deal...
party pooper

Strawberry Plains, TN

#7 Jan 13, 2011
hahaha wrote:
well the school system has said that it will be counted as unexcused and my child has perfect attendance thats why its a big deal...
Lil junior is anything but perfect. Suck it up and quit bein such a goof. He's not going to end up any better off than the other kids who attend school here. They're all 'taught to the test' where they go over the test questions for three whole days before the exams anyway.
Your chubby widdle boy shouldn't have to go to the beach every year anyway. Why not let him join in with the decent kids who use spring break to volunteer service to the elderly or other people in need, then he might actually learn something about life while he's in school.
no worries

Nashville, TN

#8 Jan 13, 2011
hahaha wrote:
I am sure he will do everything possible to keep spring break. There are many families that have scheduled vacations during that week. If I was you, I would just go anyways. If your child has perfect attendance then it sounds like he is a responsible kid who will have no trouble making up the work if there is school.
Hamblen teacher

Jefferson City, TN

#9 Jan 13, 2011
The school board has said that they will NOT add days on to the end of the year, because the graduation date is set and booked. So, that is why we are going the extra days in February, in case we have more snow (or sickness). If they do take away Spring Break days, I have a feeling many students and teachers will be absent!
Sad citizen

Sevierville, TN

#10 Jan 13, 2011
It's a shame the school system is run so poorly. Great future for us all........NOT.
oh no

Morristown, TN

#11 Jan 13, 2011
What?
You mean school will be in session on MLK day?!
Jessie and Al aren't gonna like that!!!!!
Cracker Jenkins

Knoxville, TN

#12 Jan 13, 2011
oh no wrote:
What?
You mean school will be in session on MLK day?!
Jessie and Al aren't gonna like that!!!!!
You can bet lil Tyrone and Teneesha's parents won't send their kiddos to school on MLKjr Day and it will definitely be an EXCUSED absence.
When we gonna have us a James Earl Ray Day?
notnecessarily

Knoxville, TN

#13 Jan 13, 2011
hahaha wrote:
And what is the big deal about having perfect attendance? A certificate. Whoopee! Beyond a certificate, it means nothing.

Are you aware that your child is allowed 5 parent notes throughout the semester in middle school and high school? 10 in elementary. Those parent note days are indeed excused. Since your child obviously is immune to the illnesses that other children get, or he is one of the carriers who come to school sick and give it to everyone else, he hasn't used any of those days. By all means, use them that week should spring break be cancelled.
Haywood Jablowme

White Pine, TN

#14 Jan 14, 2011
Just think.....when school gets back into swing....flu will start up and they will close again.
hehehehehe
hahaha

Morristown, TN

#15 Jan 14, 2011
party pooper wrote:
<quoted text>
Lil junior is anything but perfect. Suck it up and quit bein such a goof. He's not going to end up any better off than the other kids who attend school here. They're all 'taught to the test' where they go over the test questions for three whole days before the exams anyway.
Your chubby widdle boy shouldn't have to go to the beach every year anyway. Why not let him join in with the decent kids who use spring break to volunteer service to the elderly or other people in need, then he might actually learn something about life while he's in school.
First off when did i ever mention my child was perfect?
If i want to take my child to the beach every year than i will take him every year... My money ill spend the way that i wish.... and as him to voulunteer his service he is nine years old and we do take him to places with our church to help out....
hahaha

Morristown, TN

#16 Jan 14, 2011
no worries wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure he will do everything possible to keep spring break. There are many families that have scheduled vacations during that week. If I was you, I would just go anyways. If your child has perfect attendance then it sounds like he is a responsible kid who will have no trouble making up the work if there is school.
Thanks no worries..
hahaha

Morristown, TN

#17 Jan 14, 2011
notnecessarily wrote:
<quoted text>
And what is the big deal about having perfect attendance? A certificate. Whoopee! Beyond a certificate, it means nothing.
Are you aware that your child is allowed 5 parent notes throughout the semester in middle school and high school? 10 in elementary. Those parent note days are indeed excused. Since your child obviously is immune to the illnesses that other children get, or he is one of the carriers who come to school sick and give it to everyone else, he hasn't used any of those days. By all means, use them that week should spring break be cancelled.
Actually it means more than that... Its what he wants to do so i let him...Yes i am aware of this but it does not change his perfect attendance..... Before u go accusing me of being a parent who sends my kid to school sick u must be the parent who does do this... I do not nor will i ever send my child to school sick...Im a whole lot more concerned that my child is healthy than sending him to school sick... If it comes down to it he will be going to the beach instead of school, unless he chooses to go to school instead than i will reschedule it... Those days does not change the attendance... Thanks for ur concern NOT!!!!!!
notnecessarily

United States

#18 Jan 14, 2011
Boy, didn't you get huffy unnecessarily? That was rude. I simply was telling you that if you take him out of school for a week, then it will NOT be counted as unexcused if he hasn't used any other parent notes as you've made clear he hasn't. Parent notes are excused for whatever reason, to be used at the parent's discretion.
Yes, a lot of parents send their kids to school sick and let them stay at least half a day just to get that piece of paper at the end of the year. I just never understood what is so great about it. But if it's important to your boy, then it is important. And it seems unnatural to me to believe that when exposed to so many other children and so many things at school that a child would NEVER get sick. If you took that as offensive, then I'm so sorry. I'm glad you're not one of those parents. Didn't know you were that sensitive. I was only trying to help since you said those days would be unexcused: they won't be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
were are the clubs 10 min Babs 9
Jonee Johnson 21 min Jdh 2
Thinking of you 39 min Lol 5
to these dudes in particular. 41 min Lol 2
Jeff Raulston (Jun '13) 45 min grezzzy 15
bye bye fat lazy mexicans 1 hr AKTUALLY 9
Crazy People 3 hr Help 1

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance