Speaking of Twilight!
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Richmond, KY

#1 Nov 21, 2008
Anyone remember when that place blew up? My aunt lived across the street when that happened. It blew out all her windows in her house

Richmond, KY

#2 Nov 22, 2008
Come on Somebody's gotta remember when Twilight skating rink blew up.
well well

Morristown, TN

#3 Nov 22, 2008
yes, i sure do remember it blowing up I also remember the people that ran and managed the place. The explosion appeared to have been an inside job... They tried to blame it on United Cities Gas Company. Everyone in town knew all the "funny dealings" that went on at "the rooms in the back of the bowling alley" Little hidden rooms.... gambling and so on.. They thought they were too slick to get caught. I guess the heat got turned up and the place had to be destroyed... Oh well... cheers...
ABC

Knoxville, TN

#4 Nov 22, 2008
I think somewhere around 85 or 86. It was a great place to hang out in the late 70's and early 80's.
I had alot fun at the pool. I remember being happy that we had a pool on the west end.

Richmond, KY

#5 Nov 22, 2008
I barely remember the pool. Though now you mention it I do remember going with Daycare there. That was back when George Michaels was big. I remember hearing that "faith" song there and thinking. Woah that's inappropriate for me. lol Yeah I was SUPER young when it exploded. I remember waiting on it to get rebuilt. So I wasn't aware of the backrooms.

tennessee

#6 Nov 22, 2008
skating rinks of the '70's and '80's.
twilight
wolfe
buffalo trail
the zoo
there was another in newport that i think was also wolfe skating rink, owned by the same people i think.
my fave was the zoo, downtown jeff city. big, open wooden floor, painted animals on the walls, dark lights, disco ball, theater seats, huge dj booth on the floor, you could actually request songs and they would play them, holiday parties, pool tables, snack bar, some fights but were stopped pretty quick, most started by out of towners looking to make trouble with locals.
ahhhh, to be young....

twilight i never really cared for the tile floor, wood gives more. get wood burns instead of broken bones. now they have a dress code and don't even look at someone wrong. they can deny entrance to anyone, and kick your butt out for no reason. i hate it there now.

Richmond, KY

#7 Nov 22, 2008
Has it really gotten that bad? I don't remember how the floor was. I always thought it was wood. Of course I haven't been there in 17 years or more. Dang. It stinks things are getting so sucky..
well well

Morristown, TN

#8 Nov 22, 2008
the original floor at Twi-Lite skating rink was blue... it was an acrylic like surface. I thought that it was a fantastic skating surface. I really liked it better than wood. Twi-Lite was the place in it's heyday.. The swimming pool was in the shape of a cross. They had the can am cars near the pool, the small restaurant in between the rink and the bowling alley. They also had a stage area in the far right hand corner of the skating rink and sometimes there would be live bands that played. They had the huge starburst lights that were hanging on the walls. The disco lights and such. They also did music requests, couples only skating, reverse skating, speed racing. They also did the hokey pokey as well. Also, on New Years Eve, you paid extra and they had all night skating until 7 am. The entire walking areas around the rink itslef were carpeted and had carpeted seating. There were also many arcade machines as well. The rink had a huge DJ office that was enclosed in glass. Twi-Lite was the premier skating rink for it's time. It was a very nice place. Now, when you want to talk of the bowling alley, that is where the trouble started. The bowling alley was a legitimate business but also served as a front for illegal gambling that took place in the back of the business. Mr. Bill Lee himself had ties to this business. Also , the Simmons' run and managed it.
Anyway, it was a cool hangout at the time. I guess it was a 70's and 80's thing.
anon2

Morristown, TN

#9 Nov 22, 2008
I remember those floors well. I broke my leg and didn't even fall. Hit a hole in the floor and twisted my leg breaking both bones. Needless to say, I never went back.

tennessee

#10 Nov 22, 2008
no concert shirts, guys cannot wear earrings, one two or ten doesn't matter. i don't know about tattoos as mine is on my back. forget about talking to the dj and the snack bar sucks. i never saw any bands there.

at buffalo trail i went there a couple years ago, same owners, same wood floor, it just seemed a heck of a lot smaller than it did when i was a kid!
well well

Morristown, TN

#11 Nov 22, 2008
yeah the bands played way back in the late 70's. I only saw them there a couple of times. They set up in the far right hand corner in the rear of the building.. on the same side as the dj booth... all the way in the back. This place as truly and awesome place. Not to cause any problems on here... but why do guys feel they have to wear earrings? I just think it is tacky.. but to each his own. Maybe one is ok.. but not any more than that... but I guess I have a conservative side to me..Tattoos are ok as long as they can be hidden.. I have a couple of those myself, but they are where they can be hidden. No one wants to look at a carnival attraction..
Sandi Brewer Castellaw

Morristown, TN

#12 Apr 8, 2009
well well wrote:
yes, i sure do remember it blowing up I also remember the people that ran and managed the place. The explosion appeared to have been an inside job... They tried to blame it on United Cities Gas Company. Everyone in town knew all the "funny dealings" that went on at "the rooms in the back of the bowling alley" Little hidden rooms.... gambling and so on.. They thought they were too slick to get caught. I guess the heat got turned up and the place had to be destroyed... Oh well... cheers...
You have no clue what you are talking about!!!!! My uncle Ambrose & his wfie Peggy built & have always owned Twilight! It was not an inside job!
They built it back & have been wonderful to all kinds of children for many years in our community. Before you go running you mouth again have your story straight! And my name is Sandi Brewer- Castellaw if you have any more questions about my family! I am listed in the phonebook!
Old-Timer

United States

#13 Apr 8, 2009
Hey,
I used to work at Twilight. I knew Ambrose and his wife. And, the Simmons'. All were very nice to me. I had a good time working there. It was in the early 80's. I worked the snack bar. All the little kids and the bigger kids...I'll never forget all of them. And, don't forget the skate guards...they were great.
Old-Timer

United States

#14 Apr 8, 2009
Sandi,
I remember well the times that your uncle would give free admission to kids. And, also, give free skates to some of them. Yes, he was good to the kids. I remember that.
Remember It Well

Bean Station, TN

#15 Apr 8, 2009
I have pictures of the place after the explosion. It was the bowling alley that bles up - i believe it was due to a gas leak.
just talking

Atlanta, GA

#16 Apr 9, 2009
I remember Twilight with the best memories, I spent the majority of my teen age years there, Ambrose, Peggy and the Simmons were great to all of us, they were like our second parents. Avery ran the bowling alley and everyone had a good, safe time. I wish my girls, who are teenagers, had a place like that to go to know. I know the skating rink is there, but you can only skate so much. I hear they are planning another re-union, I think it is on August 2, at the skating rink, what a hoot it will be to see everyone again.

“VOTE TRUSTY RUSTY!!!”

Since: Apr 09

Morristown, TN

#17 Apr 9, 2009
Put your right foot forward
Put your left foot out
Do the Bunny Hop
Hop, hop, hop!
Whuteva

Atlanta, GA

#18 Apr 10, 2009
I remember when they opened the pool. Worked nights back then, so spent most days napping at poolside.

Since: Dec 07

Morristown

#19 Apr 10, 2009
Whuteva wrote:
I remember when they opened the pool. Worked nights back then, so spent most days napping at poolside.
My first job was Lifegaurding at the pool. Loved it.:)

“Bite Me”

Since: Jul 08

Chattanooga, Tennessee

#20 Apr 10, 2009
G-O-Rs Biggest Fan wrote:
Put your right foot forward
Put your left foot out
Do the Bunny Hop
Hop, hop, hop!
And shake your ole bunny tail like a polaroid picture!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dustin isom 2 hr yepp 10
Strange creature West end 2 hr Truer story 14
Alicia Newman (May '12) 4 hr Studlyboi1331 11
Where are all the fruit trees in Morristown? 8 hr Conservationist 5
What happened to nick Newman after high school 10 hr Anonxoxo 1
Dionne Allen 12 hr to funny 2
Betty Jo Willams 12 hr SomeoneWhoKnows 1

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance