Will new restaurants come to Morristown if LBTD passes?

Posted in the Morristown Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 353 Comments Last updated Nov 6, 2008
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Against Liquor

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

The Committee for Growth and Progress would have us to believe that new restaurants are lined up and ready to come to Morristown once liquor by the drink passes. In their Sunday advertisement, they all but guaranteed that Outback, Bonefish Grill, and Carrabba's will come to Morristown upon passage of LBTD.

A citizen of Morristown contacted OSI Restaurants (parent company of the previously mentioned restaurants) to see if they were really that eager to set up shop in Morristown. Once the citizen shared Morristown's demographics with the representative, the citizen was assured that it would be "highly unlikely" that any of their restaurants would be interested in coming to Morristown.

That same citizen also contacted Darden Restaurants (parent company of Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and Texas Roadhouse) to see if one of their restaurants would come to Morristown. The answer was no, and they were directed to the following site selection criteria: http://www.dardenrestaurants.com/abt_sitesele...

These important pieces of information seem to indicate that this is not the "restaurant referendum" that the Committee for Growth and Progress has made it out to be. Regardless of what the citizens have been told, higher-end restaurants are not chomping at the bit to come to Morristown. There are a number of demographics that parent companies consider when they locate in a new town: population, median income, current density of restaurants, etc.

There's a good reason this year's ballot calls this issue the "liquor referendum." The issue is not restaurants, it is liquor.

Vote AGAINST liquor by the drink.
Blimp

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

If you vote...they will come.
Liquor equals more jobs.
I know a thousand more restaurants that would gladly accept LBTD in Motown.
Vote Yes..as in Yes for more jobs.

“E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.”

Since: Oct 08

Morristown TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

Immediately? No you will not see an influx of chain resteraunts in M'town. I am curious, though, of how "your friend" discribed the demographics of Morristown. Is there a record of the calls, names and phone numers of representitives from these companies with who your friend spoke?

Otherwise this is mearly He said She said BS.
morristown

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

Against Liquor wrote:
The Committee for Growth and Progress would have us to believe that new restaurants are lined up and ready to come to Morristown once liquor by the drink passes. In their Sunday advertisement, they all but guaranteed that Outback, Bonefish Grill, and Carrabba's will come to Morristown upon passage of LBTD.
A citizen of Morristown contacted OSI Restaurants (parent company of the previously mentioned restaurants) to see if they were really that eager to set up shop in Morristown. Once the citizen shared Morristown's demographics with the representative, the citizen was assured that it would be "highly unlikely" that any of their restaurants would be interested in coming to Morristown.
That same citizen also contacted Darden Restaurants (parent company of Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and Texas Roadhouse) to see if one of their restaurants would come to Morristown. The answer was no, and they were directed to the following site selection criteria: http://www.dardenrestaurants.com/abt_sitesele...
These important pieces of information seem to indicate that this is not the "restaurant referendum" that the Committee for Growth and Progress has made it out to be. Regardless of what the citizens have been told, higher-end restaurants are not chomping at the bit to come to Morristown. There are a number of demographics that parent companies consider when they locate in a new town: population, median income, current density of restaurants, etc.
There's a good reason this year's ballot calls this issue the "liquor referendum." The issue is not restaurants, it is liquor.
VOTE YES Morristown needs to come out of the dark ages and be responcible.
It should be my choise no one elses
for it

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Against Liquor wrote:
How do we know it was a truthful depiction of our demographic.I'm sure if these restaraunts do their research which they will they will see all the business Morristown gets from it's many surrounding counties.If we get LBTD they will come.Not right away but they will come so vote it in & watch Morristown Prosper!
For It As Well

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

I too am in favor of LBTD, but I do not think restaurants will flood to our little town. I think it will help in the long term to attract some nicer restaurants and I know for a fact that Morristown was once on the radar for Red Lobster until the powers that be told them there waqs no way they would ever get LBTD here so what did RL do? They went to Johnson City and opened a store that produced a company "opening week" record sales volume at that time. How do I know this you ask? I was working for RL at the time and was involved in the JC store opening crew.

As far as demegraphics are concerned I believe Don Bunch ran an ad in the Tribune a few days back on this issue stating that he had contacted Darden Restaurants and obtained the information. I have no reason to doubt what Don Bunch says. He's the only guy I've ever seen that could buy a cow pasture full of cow patties and then find someone to buy all the cow patties, clean up the pasture land and then buy it from him at a nice profit! LOL!
For It As Well

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Sorry for the typos!

“What does this button do?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

If you look back 15 yrs. ago Morristown had no chain restaurants. You went to Knoxville. Today Morristown has many chain restaurants. I think LBTD issue has many aspects to it. I don't drink liquor but I don't care if the couple at the next table are having mixed drinks. I don't tell them can't, they don't tell me I have to. I think LBTD is about choice. Plus it will generate revenue for Morristown. And more then likely drew in more chain reataurants. Plus I dont like the idea of someone telling me I can't do something in Morristown that I can do in Knoxville.
Watch-Dog

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Don Bunch running the "show"?
If all these places say they are not coming...why worry about the vote AGAINST it?
The City of Morristown can't get their hands on the tax dollars from this.
It goes to or is ran thru Nashville baby.
I'm going to vote YES and see what happens.
I don't drink but I sure do eat.
Dude Lebowski

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

Against Liquor wrote:
You've done some homework, but one thing that you neglected to say was that the most important priority for these restaurants was that the area HAD to have LBTD. Cracker Barrel is a huge chain and look where it's located. They don't serve alcohol, so LBTD was not a requirement. I work for a company that sells distributorships. We have our minimum criteria, too, but we also look at possible future growth. If a potential distributor meets 2 out of 3 requirements, we'll do everything we can to make it happen. Morristown will have 2 out of 3 if LBTD passes, as far as the restaurants you mentioned, and they are traffic count (thanks to 25E) and LBTD. I've been reading a lot of your posts, and I believe that you are entitled to your opinion, but I also believe that you are basing it on your religios convictions and trying to sway the masses with whatever means that you can. I applaud your effort, but do not agree with your methods. But hey, I'm just the Dude.

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

From what I have seen, this Committee for Growth and Progress did not guarantee these restaurants would definitely come, but they did in their advertisement suggest that these restaurants might come to Morristown if LBTD was passed. Seems a logical thought process to me. I have worked with devlopers in the past and I know one thing for sure, as it relates to these types of restaurants coming to Morristown, they certainly will NOT come if they don't have the ability to serve wine or mixed drinks! As far as your statement referring to websites and contacts with restaurant officials, our demographics DO fit some of these restaurants'requirements. A lot matters on how the demographics are presented, and other factors. I would bet that the person contacting the restaurant websites you referred to did not give a very flattering review of our numbers. Remember "Figures Lie and Liars Figure!"
the one

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

like l have said on other posts, 100 million for new school 60 million new jail, if this does not pass so we can get tax revenue of liquor and new business who do you think is going to pay for this . YOU and ME its coming just wait and see don bunch is a good man but he does not care if property taxes double or triple he got the money, poor working people cant afford this
Al Cohol

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

The reason we got those O'charleys and Applebees years back is because we had recently made it legal to sell beer in these restaurants. The next step is to pass LBTD so more restaurants might come in to make profits on drinks.
The same people against liquor by the drink are probably the same ones passing emails around about Obama being the Anti-Christ.

Have you seen all the wrecked cars sprawled all over church's property in the city?
Al Cohol

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Open the door. Eventually businesses will come. If the door is closed. How do they get in?
Forit

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

What about the places ALREADY here? I see Ruby Tuesday, O'Charley's and others serving up some nice wine and cocktail options while we wait on more choices. It is interesting to see how those with religious based opposition resort to anything they can to get their way.
Al Cohol

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

They do not and can not sell wine. Maybe wine coolers. Big difference. Also, no legal "cocktail options" in Hamblen County. Oh yeah, what is a cocktail option?

“What does this button do?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Are there any places in Morristown that you can BYOB and they provide the set-up?
1whoknows

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

lowflyer wrote:
Are there any places in Morristown that you can BYOB and they provide the set-up?
The Little Dutch will.
INFORMED

Jefferson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

Blimp wrote:
If you vote...they will come.
Liquor equals more jobs.
I know a thousand more restaurants that would gladly accept LBTD in Motown.
Vote Yes..as in Yes for more jobs.
FINALLY someone who knows! Thank goodness! Ok Blimp....go ahead and tell us the (quote) thousand more restaurants that would gladly accept LBTD in Morristown. Start naming them. You can use as much space and as many posts as you need. Now, fill us in on how many jobs we can expect to see? More LIES and EMPTY PROMISES just to benefit the few who want LBTD. Lies! VOTE NO!
INFORMED

Jefferson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

Cool Head Luke wrote:
From what I have seen, this Committee for Growth and Progress did not guarantee these restaurants would definitely come, but they did in their advertisement suggest that these restaurants might come to Morristown if LBTD was passed. Seems a logical thought process to me. I have worked with devlopers in the past and I know one thing for sure, as it relates to these types of restaurants coming to Morristown, they certainly will NOT come if they don't have the ability to serve wine or mixed drinks! As far as your statement referring to websites and contacts with restaurant officials, our demographics DO fit some of these restaurants'requirements. A lot matters on how the demographics are presented, and other factors. I would bet that the person contacting the restaurant websites you referred to did not give a very flattering review of our numbers. Remember "Figures Lie and Liars Figure!"
Whoa there Luke. The posters on this site have all but assured the rest of us that we can expect the restaurants, jobs, revenue, and everything else in the world if LBTD passes. What figures would you use? Those fabricated by the lying group trying to get LBTD passed? How about the Mayor? Can she give a true number? Why not go to public records and get the numbers. How about the Blue Book that has populations and demographics? What's being done is every lie that can be told in support is being used. Misrepresentation of numbers. The pro side of this issue are the ones guilty of this!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 min Bayless 144,626
Who is that making out in side parking by longh... 10 min CAP 9
John Wesemann where is he now? (Jan '13) 18 min Rage of angels 28
painters 1 hr kuntrol 8
cory mcnew (Feb '14) 2 hr think 30
mandy mullins 2 hr Wrecker 4
A redneck is 2 hr Wait-----what 2
Gays in Morristown? 9 hr spdf 23
Singles/Couples/Kinky Thread 11 hr Hey 15

Search the Morristown Forum:
•••
•••
•••