First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Scarlet

Kingsport, TN

#1 Apr 2, 2012
So I've recently moved to this lovely state of TN.I'm pregnant with my first child and have heard that they drug test newborn babies. I support this for mothers whom abuse drugs especially pills which seems to be quite popular here.I myself have smoked marijuana on occasion to help with stress, depression, anxiety and nausea because I'm against pill usage pregnant or not. Research shows that children born to mothers that smoke not only do well on cognitive tests but often do better than those of non marijuana smokers.Therefore I never worried about possibly having my child taken away. There is a BIG differance between a pregnant woman who smokes weed to cope with mental and physical ailments versus a pregnant woman who pops pills and shoots up to get high. And just because they are prescribed to these women it's ok but yet they still damage the child which is rediculous.My question is does the state enforce mandatory drug tests to mothers and their newborns and if positive is the child taken away? And for those of you whom are blessed with no ailments and don't take anything prescribed or not don't pass judgement on me.Just because rather than taking a chance with pills my dr. would prescribe for my ailments I chose an all natural remedy that tests show have no affect on newborns but is illegal doesn't make me a bad mother. So before you comment do your research and don't even bother if your gonna piss and moan about how bad of a person I am. Man made beer/liquor...God made Pot...who do you trust?
Scarlet

Kingsport, TN

#2 Apr 2, 2012
Here is some statistics for you marijuana ignorant people... Melanie Dreher, RN, PhD, FAAN explains her cannabis and pregnancy research study in Jamaica. Pregnant women and their children were studied for over ten plus years, both marijuana smokers and non-smokers were included in the study – one of the first scientific studies of the effects that cannabis may have on pregnancy and the child’s development thereafter. Comparing the two groups, the neonates of mothers who used marijuana showed better physiological stability at 1 month and required less examiner facilitation to reach an organized state and become available for social stimulation.

The results of the comparison of neonates of the heavy-marijuana-using mothers and those of the non-using mothers were even more striking…
■The heavily exposed neonates were more socially responsive and were more autonomically stable at 30 days than their matched counterparts.
■quality of their alertness was higher;
■ their motor and autonomic systems were more robust;
■they were less irritable;
■they were less likely to demonstrate any imbalance of tone;
■ they needed less examiner facilitation to become organized;
■they had better self-regulation;
■ judged to be more rewarding for caregivers than the neonates of non-using mothers at 1 month of age
Here is her video...http://youtu.be/K9WorI M0RhA

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#3 Apr 2, 2012
First of all I want you to know that I am not judging you. IDK what kind of "research" you have been reading, but drugs are drugs. If you smoke mary jane when you are pregnant you are no different than those doing pills. I am a smoker of mary jane too, but I NEVER did it while I was pregnant. Please think about your baby. What you inhale while pregnant your baby inhales too. For the sake of your child, it is time to quit. Then you won't have to worry about getting your baby taken from you. I don't know you, but I am begging you to please stop what you are doing while pregnant. I could care less what you do after you deliver your precious baby.
Gann

Morristown, TN

#4 Apr 2, 2012
Starting off with "you ignorant marijuana people" is just going to get you pounced. Good luck getting a descent answer...
Lisa

Morristown, TN

#5 Apr 2, 2012
Are you on TennCare?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
My opinion

Charlotte, NC

#6 Apr 2, 2012
No one should do drugs includes alcohol while pregnant

Since: Oct 10

Jeff City

#7 Apr 2, 2012
Hun, no matter how much anyone smokes, drinks, or pops pills, stress/worry/anxiety will always be around. I'm not a pot-hater, but I don't smoke anymore either. Throw the research out of the window...it isn't full proof and chances are, you really don't want to risk it. Besides, we are supposed to be crazy during pregnancy...hormones amplify everything! The only relief you're going to find is giving everything to God and trusting Him to take care of you...it worked for me...I can honestly say I've never been happier. Good luck to you, I think you will be a wonderful mommy :)
Ktown girl

Washington, DC

#8 Apr 2, 2012
In the state of TN all newborns are tested for drugs. If the baby shows positive you will be seen by DHS and you will NOT leave the hospital with your baby. Trust me I know I work in this field. The fact is marijuana is illegal! It doesn't matter why you are smoking it, the fact is that it is illegal. As for the infant you are passing the smoke to your unborn child which can interfere with their lung maturity. Please stop smoking. You are putting your unborn child at risk. And you don't want to lose your child. Remember this is TN, not California.
Rebecca

Morristown, TN

#9 Apr 2, 2012
Ktown girl is correct. How can marijuana not affect the fetus when cigarette smoke does? Anything that goes into your body is passed along to the fetus. I don't care how much research has been done, smoking anything while pregnant is not the wisest choice to make. Everyone has stress. I used to stay stressed out and had many anxiety attacks. I refused to deal with it through medicine. I chose to meditate. Crazy as it sounds, it works for me. Try that instead. I stayed sick to my stomach the entire 9 months I was pregnant, I lost more weight than I gained no matter how much I ate. It's part of it. I don't know about you or others but I would die for my child and if it meant me giving up a habit I had, no matter why I had that habit, I would give it up for the sake of my child. In this case, your unborn child.
LBD

Morristown, TN

#10 Apr 4, 2012
Just so you know you are also tested at your first ob visit, if positive you will continually be tested through urine and or blood. Everything is documented and the info is passed on. You and the baby will be tested upon delivery. The baby will not be released to you or anyone you live with. Not judging, but my baby is more important then smoking pot....
SAD

Washington, DC

#11 Apr 6, 2012
Bunch of pot headed pill snorting hoes..call Dcs when your water breaks so they can meet you there DUMBa**
oh yea

Salisbury, NC

#12 Apr 7, 2012
Yea they sure will was a pot smoker until i found out i was pregnant cause he is way more important
HollaBack

Morristown, TN

#13 Apr 20, 2012
Beware it is now class 1 felony if your child is pos. you will be charged with felony indangerment.
Ash

Charlotte, NC

#14 Apr 20, 2012
Is there anything that can be done to a girl who is pregnant and doing drugs? Do the OB's drug test throughout the pregnancy? I know someone who is pregnant and abusing drugs but didn't know if anything could be done?
GLTU

Morristown, TN

#15 Apr 20, 2012
Ktown girl wrote:
In the state of TN all newborns are tested for drugs. If the baby shows positive you will be seen by DHS and you will NOT leave the hospital with your baby. Trust me I know I work in this field. The fact is marijuana is illegal! It doesn't matter why you are smoking it, the fact is that it is illegal. As for the infant you are passing the smoke to your unborn child which can interfere with their lung maturity. Please stop smoking. You are putting your unborn child at risk. And you don't want to lose your child. Remember this is TN, not California.
yes she is putign her child at at some risk, how ever ther is no risk to her childs lungs as the (smoke isnt going to the unborn childs lungs, in fact the child is not useing its lungs at this point, and pot is usede to treat some lung disorders in some states of the u.s. in fact its used to treat a large number of things and copd and asthma are 2 of them as well as anxiety. the fact is TN has a huge problem with drugs (mainly pills) and they have to look at any one illegal substance the same as any other just cuz its the law. with that being said pot in the first place shouldnt be an illegal sub. and it will cause you some trouble if you child tests positive for it when its born,how ever i dought it will cause you to have your child taken from you. but you may have DHS all over yoru ass for months maybe even longer after the child is born.
GLTU

Morristown, TN

#16 Apr 20, 2012
Rebecca wrote:
Ktown girl is correct. How can marijuana not affect the fetus when cigarette smoke does? Anything that goes into your body is passed along to the fetus. I don't care how much research has been done, smoking anything while pregnant is not the wisest choice to make. Everyone has stress. I used to stay stressed out and had many anxiety attacks. I refused to deal with it through medicine. I chose to meditate. Crazy as it sounds, it works for me. Try that instead. I stayed sick to my stomach the entire 9 months I was pregnant, I lost more weight than I gained no matter how much I ate. It's part of it. I don't know about you or others but I would die for my child and if it meant me giving up a habit I had, no matter why I had that habit, I would give it up for the sake of my child. In this case, your unborn child.
cigarette smoke and weed smoke are 2 completely difrent things and contain completely difrent chemcials infact the only one thing they share is corbinmanoxide wich isnt good but its in the air we breath with out smoke allso
alternative

Morristown, TN

#17 Apr 20, 2012
you can allways choose to give birth at home and not even use the hospital. this is very much legal lots of ppl do it (usely from some crazy tree huging religion) but it is done alot and has been done form the begening of time with a midwife and then take the child to your personle doc. the next day for check ups and to get its papper work to give it a ss# and birth card. with out all the norms of a public hospital.
Bystander

Morristown, TN

#18 Apr 21, 2012
I'm mentioning this for the sake of throwing the information out there, do your own research from reputable sources and decide for yourself if it is worth it.

I know a woman who smoked pot while she was pregnant, supposedly because it helped her eat. The day her child was born, it tested positive for marijuana. The child was taken away, and the mother arrested. I don't know all of the details, but I'm sure the mother testing positive would have been a violation of probation since she has a history of criminal activity, and it's also possible the child or mother were positive for other drugs and she did not tell us. The child was eventually released to the father, but the mother spent the first year of the child's life behind bars.

By deciding to self medicate, this is what you are risking, regardless of your thoughts on the potential effects on the unborn child. Especially the first few moments, but the entire first year of a child's life is a crucial time where bonds and attachments are formed.

The fact is, we have laws. While these laws are in effect, you have no choice but to abide by them, no matter your thoughts on their legality or morality. If you choose to break these laws, you are deemed a criminal, and possible unfit to care for your children. Is it worth it?
duh

Morristown, TN

#19 Apr 21, 2012
If you smoke pot when you are pregnant, then what is the difference if, when your baby is born, you just go ahead and blow smoke in his or her face. Hell, teach the baby to smoke from an early age. You deserve a mother of the year award. A baby is more important than whatever issue you are going through. Your first job is too make sure your baby is safe.
ktown girl

Knoxville, TN

#20 Apr 21, 2012
You are completely WRONG! Studies show that Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)the active chemical in cannabis, reduce the development of surfactant that is REQUIRED for fetal lung maturity. Studies also show that maternal marijuana use also affects infant birth weight, head circumference, and length. Long-term risks include psychosocial and behavioral problems. Also marijuana use during pregnancy increases the risks of SIDS. I don't know where you get your information from but it is not from educational resources that are EVIDENCED BASED! Please refrain from making comments that you know absolutely nothing about! I work in this field and have 3 college degrees. "dought" "useing" "putign" "usede" "yoru" Did you even graduate high school?
GLTU wrote:
<quoted text> yes she is putign her child at at some risk, how ever ther is no risk to her childs lungs as the (smoke isnt going to the unborn childs lungs, in fact the child is not useing its lungs at this point, and pot is usede to treat some lung disorders in some states of the u.s. in fact its used to treat a large number of things and copd and asthma are 2 of them as well as anxiety. the fact is TN has a huge problem with drugs (mainly pills) and they have to look at any one illegal substance the same as any other just cuz its the law. with that being said pot in the first place shouldnt be an illegal sub. and it will cause you some trouble if you child tests positive for it when its born,how ever i dought it will cause you to have your child taken from you. but you may have DHS all over yoru ass for months maybe even longer after the child is born.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jim brooks hcsd 53 min Julia 11
SCAMMERS on FACEBOOK , who r they 1 hr Julia 51
5 point 3 hr Pitbullmom74 5
Looking for Mark Heck or Melissa 4 hr MBH72 5
Wilderness in smokies 4 hr Info 6
Warrensburg road caving in 6 hr East Side Resident 6
Restaurant Servers Leaving Too Quickly To Get R... 8 hr little miss booge... 39
More from around the web

Morristown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE