Question for Facebook users who recei...

Question for Facebook users who receive friend requests from total strangers

Posted in the Morristown Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Facebook Friend

Wildersville, TN

#1 Nov 28, 2009
In the last few weeks, my husband and I both have received several friend requests from absolute strangers. When I search for the particular names used,(usually an unusual name)I get back anywhere for 20 to 40 profiles with that particular name. All of the profiles have different pictures of "seductive" looking young women. All of the profiles were created only days before. The only info in the profiles are age (the birthdates are all different), looking for and Single. There are sometimes a few wall posts from people asking who they are or how do you know me, but the posts disappear very quickly. There is no information about other friends either. Obviously this is a scam. I have been reporting these to Facebook when I get them but none of these profiles have been taken down. Does anyone have any idea what this scam is about? Do other people get these requests regularly as well?
OhYeahBritpop

United States

#2 Nov 28, 2009
Nope. All the strangers I hear from are friends of friends.
Pretty scary, though!
Dangerous

AOL

#3 Nov 28, 2009
Facebook Friend wrote:
In the last few weeks, my husband and I both have received several friend requests from absolute strangers. When I search for the particular names used,(usually an unusual name)I get back anywhere for 20 to 40 profiles with that particular name. All of the profiles have different pictures of "seductive" looking young women. All of the profiles were created only days before. The only info in the profiles are age (the birthdates are all different), looking for and Single. There are sometimes a few wall posts from people asking who they are or how do you know me, but the posts disappear very quickly. There is no information about other friends either. Obviously this is a scam. I have been reporting these to Facebook when I get them but none of these profiles have been taken down. Does anyone have any idea what this scam is about? Do other people get these requests regularly as well?
Something similar has been happening to me but it has been young guys instead of girls. I've been doing research but can't find where or why it originated. If you receive any news please post it. Good Luck!

“If I knew then.....”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 28, 2009
They are probably gamers....who just need 'friends' so they can add you to their team.
User

Morristown, TN

#5 Nov 29, 2009
Yeah I use facebook games, so I get requests from ppl needing neighbors. You never have to talk to them, but the more neighbors the more you can do on your games!!!
Facebook Friend

Wildersville, TN

#6 Nov 29, 2009
Neither of us has ever played any type of game on Facebook.
I have been able to determine that these are NOT profiles of real people, hence the question in my previous post..... Does anyone know what the "scam" could possibly be?
beaver

Lawrenceville, GA

#7 Nov 29, 2009
I would not answer those. There are scammers out there as well, direct marketing pyramid schemes, and all manner of stuff, especially data collection. If you don't have any mutual friends and you don't know them, I would steer clear
Psy

Sweet Briar, VA

#8 Feb 13, 2010
I simply ignore the requests. Since I don't play games or anything else, I have no idea where these people come from. It's kind of disappointing to have 10+ requests and they're all fake people.
for the love of nursing

United States

#9 Feb 13, 2010
I have gotten a few I block and delete them I dont accept a request from anyway I dont know in real life. I dont need "virtual" friends. I need friends I cac call when I am in a bind.
old news

Greeneville, TN

#10 Feb 15, 2010
i get them too, and mine are mostly from guys also. i just click ignor but i dont know what they are up to either.
humane

Springfield, VT

#11 Feb 18, 2010
I'm getting them, too -- young, seductive looking women. I ignore them....
hey

Seymour, TN

#12 Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for the heads up!
no brainer

Morristown, TN

#13 Mar 26, 2010
make your profile private, then if and when u get a friend request just hit ignore.
Mtown Mom

Nashville, TN

#14 Mar 26, 2010
I ignore requests like that. I got two in the past 24 hrs. Also, like someone else said, make your profile private.. that will help some to. Good luck :)
Philly Girl

Frisco, TX

#15 May 6, 2010
I also have been getting friend requests from strangers who have been FB users only a few days and have less then five friends each. I'm actually wondering if it's my ex's psycho girlfriend trying to see my page. Is that a crazy thought?
lol

Nashville, TN

#16 May 6, 2010
Mark it as spam, & deny it lol .....
baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#17 May 22, 2010
I get these as well. Clearly they are some kind of solicitation. There always brand new and If you check out the wall posts they always say something like "went to a party and it got pretty wild. See the pictures at ------." Just deny them and mark them as spam or as a friend request from someone you don't know.

Since: Apr 09

Sevierville, TN

#18 May 25, 2010
You really should make your profile private, don't include your DOB. I don't accept unless I know someone or at least look them up in the year book!!!
not alone

Knoxville, TN

#19 May 25, 2010
I also get several request but I don't accept friends unless it is someone that I know. Hit ignore and set your profile to private.

Since: Dec 09

Morristown, TN

#20 May 25, 2010
NEVER click on the email link that facebook gives you to notify you. This is how scammers get your login information. Report/block the people that you do not know that request friendship.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christina Wood at Sykes (Jan '17) 1 hr Celebration time 67
Does anybody know about any of the wise boys? 1 hr John 12
the topix trolls 2 hr No name 11
Distracted Drivers 3 hr Thanks 14
Change the name of Morristown 4 hr Uncle Ben 10
Brad Suffridge 5 hr You know who 4
Runaway 5 hr Puzzled 9

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance