Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

You would really be surprised of how many older homes and products in your home that rally does contain this hidden much overlooked carcinogen in them.Does anyone know much about it or have any suggestions on how to deal with it if its in my home?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

What do you really want to know about it, maybe what it would look like and where it would be located in the structure at??

Perhaps if your really unsure about it, then by all means do not disturb it and get it flying its fine mini particles flying in the air as when it becomes friable and gets in the air that's when it can be become a possible health hazard for getting into your lungs.A certified asbestos lab could positively identify it for you, but that would include you or someone else having to get a sample from it and disturbing it more further.

Remember asbestos that's in good shape and not becoming friable and possibly airborne should be left alone or left to a professional to remove it.

Since: Oct 09

Talbott, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

echostar wrote:
Remember asbestos that's in good shape and not becoming friable and possibly airborne should be left alone or left to a professional to remove it.
Most forms of asbestos are safe as long as they aren't deteriorated. Ceiling and floor tiles, drywall, and a number of products with asbestos pose no danger until they are broken or destroyed.

Asbestos insulation on the other hand can easily become airborn if you are moving around in it, such as in an attic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

Also I want to add that asbestos comes in 6 major forms of a naturally ocurring silicate material they are 1.-Chrysotile,-A whitish colored asbestos mined from a serpentine class of rock.2.-Amosite or "brown asbestos", 3.-Crocidolite is a bluish colored type of asbestos.4.-Tremolite, 5.-Anthophyllite, and finally, 6.-Actinolite.

All of these forms of asbestos can pose a possible public health hazard when airborne.
In all of these forms, Chrysotile was the most widely used one of the bunch.It accounts for around 95 percent of the asbestos found in public and private buildings, in which still inhabit them to this day.

Chrysotile has flexible fibers which can easily be woven into Heat resistant cloth, or rope seals around doors for boiler systems, fireproof cloth, even brake lining, pipe insulation,and floor tiles in commercial buildings and homes of the past.

These forms of asbestos are mined from rock and is a naturally ocurring substance within the rock strata.The rocks are then crushed to release the asbestos fibers or bundles to yield it to mostly now commercial applications.

In 1973 the Environmental Protection Agency issued a ban on asbestos being largely used, except for commercial applications.Please remember that even after the ban several building materials and household consumer products still contained asbestos in it and stayed on the consumer market until it was used up.

Some of the asbestos containing products are such as fiber cement asbestos board, floor tiles, linoleum, shingles, pipe wrap, electrical cords, brake shoes,heaters, hair dryers, heat guns and lamps, popcorn cookers,Irons,Blow dryers,Old heating pads, Old Ironing Board Covers electric coffee pots, cooking stoves,cooking ovens, old chalkboards, Even crayons and Play dough and Talc Powder at one time contained asbestos in it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

deernet wrote:
<quoted text>
Most forms of asbestos are safe as long as they aren't deteriorated. Ceiling and floor tiles, drywall, and a number of products with asbestos pose no danger until they are broken or destroyed.
Asbestos insulation on the other hand can easily become airborn if you are moving around in it, such as in an attic.
Agreed, Perhaps if you live in an older home you will want to look around to see if you notice anything of such: Any kind of electrical wires running in your basement or in the attic that are wrapped in a interwoven looking dark brownish colored cloth, as more than likely it could possibly be a asbestos cloth.Old wall mount surface flush heaters are notorious for containing it, just look at that gray looking mass of soft appearing material that the heating coils envelope, also the electrical wires within the heaters are protected from heat by being encased in asbestos.

Your home may contain a fireplace such as mine does, it is possible that behind that metal insert there hides a asbestos heat gasket to shield any other structure mainly of the wood framing from the fireplace heat.I would love to be able to have access to mine to see if that is such.

A lot of houses built through the 1950' area had ZONOLITE INSULATION placed in their attics.This type of dark coarse brownish insulation contained Vermiculite asbestos in it.Please be careful if you are going to enter an older looking homes attic, and do not disturb it or better yet don't go in it at all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

Some older city water mains has cement transit pipe that contains "you know what" in it.A lot of this pipe is several decades old and the fibers which are mixed in with the Portland type cement for added strength crumble, and break off after a long period of time.This in turn, ends up in your drinking, cooking, and bathing water.

So amongst the Fluoride that's also considered a carcinogen, you could possibly have the added carcinogen causing material of Asbestos in your city drinking water.
The Professor

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

echostar wrote:
Some older city water mains has cement transit pipe that contains "you know what" in it.A lot of this pipe is several decades old and the fibers which are mixed in with the Portland type cement for added strength crumble, and break off after a long period of time.This in turn, ends up in your drinking, cooking, and bathing water.
So amongst the Fluoride that's also considered a carcinogen, you could possibly have the added carcinogen causing material of Asbestos in your city drinking water.
Somebody get this man a job with the EPA.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2010

Judged:

The Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody get this man a job with the EPA.
I would like to be a E.P.A. bloodhound.I can guarantee if it out there, then I damn sure could find it!!
Inspector Gadget

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

Now you all have me worried of whats hiding in my home.
barb

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Judged:

echostar, do you know if it has been used as siding on older homes? my house was built in 1950 and it has a kind of over lapping siding on it i wasnt to take it off and put on new sidind but my children tell me not to mess with it because it could be asbestos
barb

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Judged:

sorry i'm not awake yet i meant i want to take it off and replace it with new siding

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Judged:

barb wrote:
echostar, do you know if it has been used as siding on older homes? my house was built in 1950 and it has a kind of over lapping siding on it i wasnt to take it off and put on new sidind but my children tell me not to mess with it because it could be asbestos
I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to respond to you, but I just came home from work.Those 12 hour shifts seem to drag me down some, though I still enjoy getting on the 'ol topix board.I've learned it was used in siding in a lot of the older homes built from around the 1930's through the 1970's time period.Some may have been used in the early to mid 1980's also.Many older office buildings still have in them as well as older Schools.Can you give me more detail on your siding such as width and length and what does the exterior facing of it look like??

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Judged:

Typo.-The above post was suppose to state,-"Many older office buildings still has it in them."
I guess I'm really more tired than I thought.I'll try to pay closer attention as the evening progresses.
Inspector Gadget

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2012

Judged:

echostar wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to respond to you, but I just came home from work.Those 12 hour shifts seem to drag me down some, though I still enjoy getting on the 'ol topix board.I've learned it was used in siding in a lot of the older homes built from around the 1930's through the 1970's time period.Some may have been used in the early to mid 1980's also.Many older office buildings still have in them as well as older Schools.Can you give me more detail on your siding such as width and length and what does the exterior facing of it look like??
That's it I'm moving to a newer house!
barb

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2012

Judged:

it kind of looks like white shingles they are in layers about a foot and a half wide and a foot long it really has me worried because i have grandchildren that loves to come and visit me it also feels like real stiff insulation i'm sorry it's hard to describe but i really appreciate your help thank you so much

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2012

Judged:

barb wrote:
it kind of looks like white shingles they are in layers about a foot and a half wide and a foot long it really has me worried because i have grandchildren that loves to come and visit me it also feels like real stiff insulation i'm sorry it's hard to describe but i really appreciate your help thank you so much
This sounds very typical of the old wall shingles that did contain Asbestos in them.However, without seeing the siding in person then I'm only assuming that from what you've described to me.The old Asbestos wall shingles were either wavy in appearance,-{the top and bottom edges cut in an irregular pattern,} and they also appeared in a straight cut version.Both versions appeared with the horizontal ends being longer that the vertical ends.
There was irregular lines embedded into the shingles running vertically through each individual shingle.Also, most of these wall shingles featured each square appearing in a 10 inch X 14 inch dimension.The wall shingles used a mixture of cement reinforced with Asbestos fibers for durability, heat resistance and strength that would prove to last for many decades.
LMAO

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2012

Judged:

Slate shingles are often times mis-took to be asbestos. They have a common appearance if painted. An easy way to check is with a car key. Scrape a small line, if its fiberous and cardboard feeling, its most likely asbestos. If its solid like a rock, its probably slate. The slate shingles in raw state are a darker gray in color than asbestos also.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Morristown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Morristown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Morristown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Morristown