College Square Mall
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
just a thought

Church Hill, VA

#1 Jan 15, 2008
How many of you avoid the mall on Friday & Saturday nights because of the rowdy teenagers? I used to work their & all of the store owners were furious because the little punks were driving away all of their business on those nights.
mo-town

Murfreesboro, TN

#2 Jan 16, 2008
i don't go there period, no matter what time of day or day of the week, their are always punks in there
west grad

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jan 16, 2008
Maybe if some of you would reach out to them they wouldn't be so "rowdy" is the word I believe was used. Punks are everywheree. Malls, grocery stores, restaurants, Churches, anywhere.
mo-town

Murfreesboro, TN

#4 Jan 16, 2008
maybe if mommy and daddy didn't let the mall be the babysitter, there wouldn't be as many punks
west grad

Knoxville, TN

#5 Jan 16, 2008
mo-town wrote:
maybe if mommy and daddy didn't let the mall be the babysitter, there wouldn't be as many punks
Well I don't know all of their background stories, but I'm sure glad you do. I wish we had more people like you in the world. People who know everything about someone just by looking at them.
Claude Crashcob

Morristown, TN

#6 Jan 16, 2008
The mall is a place to shop and enjoy the experience. The "punks" you refer to are the kids on the streets due to the fact that the commish has never addressed the fact that we need a center of activities for the younger population.
But, lets take a look at the root cause of the reason they are at the mall.The parents should be the ones that are with these kids and building a quality of life enviroment. Instead they drop the kids and head off to their own form of entertainment that for whatever reason doesnt include the siblings.
I say build the center and also build the family closeness first.
mo-town

Murfreesboro, TN

#7 Jan 16, 2008
west grad wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I don't know all of their background stories, but I'm sure glad you do. I wish we had more people like you in the world. People who know everything about someone just by looking at them.

west grad, i don't know all of their backgrounds, but wmost parents drop their kids at the mall and leave them unsupervised letting the mall deal with them. i'd call any young boy having to hold his crotch when he walks to keep his pants from falling down or young girls showing g-strings a serious problem. mommy and daddy need to do their job and teach their kids respect not leave them at the mall and learn thugology
west grad

Knoxville, TN

#8 Jan 16, 2008
mo-town wrote:
<quoted text>
west grad, i don't know all of their backgrounds, but wmost parents drop their kids at the mall and leave them unsupervised letting the mall deal with them. i'd call any young boy having to hold his crotch when he walks to keep his pants from falling down or young girls showing g-strings a serious problem. mommy and daddy need to do their job and teach their kids respect not leave them at the mall and learn thugology
I don't see why parents need to take all the blame for this. That's like saying that a teacher should be held accountable for the students that don't want to learn (That's what NCLB says!). It's ridiculous. If a kid wants to rebel, he or she will rebel. Sometimes they just need to learn stuff on their own. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can pick yoursef up.
mo-town

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Jan 16, 2008
yeah your right, maybe they can start gangs like out in california to help find themselves, and get their confidence from other punks
Claude Crashcob

Morristown, TN

#10 Jan 16, 2008
West Grad......you were impressing me, now your depressing me.Kids need to be raised not turned out.
Sad

Morristown, TN

#11 Jan 16, 2008
I've actually spoken to several security guards at the mall, they feel as though they are nothing but weekend babysitters. I spoke to a guy at the movies one night before Christmas, and he was telling me one girl there waiting on her parents, had been there since 12 noon! And it was already 11:15pm that night, he said sometimes parents don't come get the kids til 3am, until the bars close. He said some parents drop the kids off, and hit the bars, and don't pick them up until they close. Or the kids beg some other friend to have their parents take them home.

The mall is nothing but a weekend babysitter, I refuse to go up there on weekends. I am glad we are getting some lil strip malls here n there thru out town, I will do more shopping there at the lil strip malls, than at the big mall.

It's non sense. I think it should be a federal law! That from Friday at 5pm until the mall opens on Monday, that anyone caught under the age of 18 without a parent! not someone else who is 18! but a parent! Then they should be charged with trespasssing. or something! This has gotten way out of hand.

The mall is loosing tons of income due to this. Surely the store owners know this.

Perhaps if everyone sends email messages in to the store's corperate offices and complains, someone will take note. Because no one is going there to shop.

I have two daughters, and all I can say is from the time they turned 12-11 and started asking to go to the mall on weekends to hang out with their friends, the answer has been no! My kids are now 17 and 18, and they still do not go to the mall on the weekends to hang out. Hell will freeze over before I let my kids become Mall Brats.
just a thought

Church Hill, VA

#12 Jan 16, 2008
west grad, you can psycho analize the situation all day but it doesn't change the fact that it's only a matter of time before one of these kids who is "trying to find himself" is going to pull out a gun & start shooting the place up. A little over a year ago a 17 year old kid come up there drunk and started ramming into other cars in the parking lot & on Morris Blvd. A few people were hurt seriously. Every weekend up there looks like the Jerry Springer show.
Sad

Morristown, TN

#13 Jan 16, 2008
Ain't that the truth! Jerry Springer would have a friggin field day at that mall!
mtown x-teacher

Morristown, TN

#14 Jan 16, 2008
I dealt with these same kids when I was teaching. I would overhear them talking about meeting at the mall on the weekends to hang out. They are the main reason I would not go to College Square Mall. Most of these kids are rude, disrespectful, and to be honest, just like their parents who dropped them off. The better kids are the ones who are NOT hanging at the mall on the weekends. No wonder Morristown is losing income from sales tax. People are choosing to go to malls in other towns where they don't feel so threatened. I can't tell you the last time I shopped at College Square.
just a thought

Church Hill, VA

#15 Jan 16, 2008
That is exactly why the owners of the individual stores in the mall are so upset. They are paying outragious rent & the mall management won't allow a curfew to be put into effect so that some of the business will return.
Sad

Morristown, TN

#16 Jan 16, 2008
We should all email the mall owners! and the store's corp. offices.

Since: Oct 07

Vegas.

#17 Jan 16, 2008
(in a howard dean voice) we'll go to the mall..then to the individual stores..then to corporate, then to the state government, then to the senate, then to the supreme court ! whoo!!!!!!
just a thought

Church Hill, VA

#18 Jan 16, 2008
First of all, west grad or drop out or whatever, it's pretty obvious that either you are, or used to be one of the little jerks that hang out & cause trouble at the mall. But I have to wonder how you would feel if one of your family members were to get caught up in the middle of some of the crap that goes on at the mall. But of course in order to care you would have to mature enough to care about someone other than yourself.

Since: Oct 07

Vegas.

#19 Jan 16, 2008
just a thought wrote:
First of all, west grad or drop out or whatever, it's pretty obvious that either you are, or used to be one of the little jerks that hang out & cause trouble at the mall. But I have to wonder how you would feel if one of your family members were to get caught up in the middle of some of the crap that goes on at the mall. But of course in order to care you would have to mature enough to care about someone other than yourself.
Yes, I am a drop out. I dropped out of HS to go to college and double major in political science and economics. And by the way, if Jesus were here today, these were the kinds of people he would hang out with. Why aren't more people reaching out to them?

Mark 2:17
And hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
mtown x-teacher

Morristown, TN

#20 Jan 17, 2008
"West Grad" quoted
Yes, I am a drop out. I dropped out of HS to go to college and double major in political science and economics. And by the way, if Jesus were here today, these were the kinds of people he would hang out with. Why aren't more people reaching out to them?
Mark 2:17
And hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
As a former teacher, I tried to reach out to these kids. It works with some, but there's something greater going on and it's called peer pressure. Most of these kids want to belong to a group or be accepted by others. Also, many of these kids are younger and very impressionable. I would be willing to bet that a lot of their parents don't know what they do at the mall or how they are acting. Then there are the parents who just plain don't care just as long as they don't have to deal with their own kids. That's the sad fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Women Should Not Speak At Church (Jan '11) 27 min The husband 726
Asian Express 54 min Differences matte... 8
Dale Lynch is not qualified for his position (Aug '09) 1 hr Wonder Why 520
Somebody got his feelings hurt 1 hr Drank more 3
Roma 3 employees 2 hr lol 6
Marva B 2 hr Tammy 6
Olive Garden coming to back of mall 2 hr just let me eat a... 6
breaking news CORRUPTION AT MANLEY BAPTIST (Jul '13) 9 hr That guy 185

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web