National Fitness Ripoff!!

National Fitness Ripoff!!

Posted in the Morristown Forum

SquirrelGirl

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jul 29, 2008
I am just curious how many responses I may get, or if it has just happened to me...Has anyone else been railroaded by National Fitness Center here in Morristown? If so please let me know...we are paying a collection agency for a membership that we never authorized and to beat it all, they will not let us use the gym! We have never even set foot in the building! As if times are not hard enough, now we are forced to pay for a serice that we are NEVER able to use! Anyone else out there feelin our situation? Have you been screwed as well? If so, vent it out!!!
Mythoughts

United States

#2 Jul 29, 2008
I pay it and don't use it enought to get my moneys worth which is pretty much the concensus around here. It's my own fault.

The first year I bought a 1 year in the one in Knox & it's good at any location. Morristown only has 3 yr. Once they caught on, I had to get a 3 year the following year because they made it so that you couldn't buy one in knox and use it in morristown. Hardly seems right since the one in Knox advertises you can use it at any of their locations even in Oak Ridge. Their all the same franchise. They even own court south. Which really does suck because I work in Knox alot.
K Haun

Morristown, TN

#3 Jul 29, 2008
I know a lot of people who have been screwed over by them. I haven't been to the place and I don't plan on it. If I want to work out, I'm just going to do it from home. It's a lot cheaper!
True

United States

#4 Jul 29, 2008
What ever you do don't let anyone steal or lose your credit card. They charge you ENORMOUS fees when you change your card or the expiration date expires. They are non refundable and they won't work with you. I have used it a handfull of times. Don't get into the mess several thousands have. You can't even transfer memberships anymore. Beware!

Since: Jul 08

Russellville, TN

#5 Jul 29, 2008
SquirrelGirl wrote:
I am just curious how many responses I may get, or if it has just happened to me...Has anyone else been railroaded by National Fitness Center here in Morristown? If so please let me know...we are paying a collection agency for a membership that we never authorized and to beat it all, they will not let us use the gym! We have never even set foot in the building! As if times are not hard enough, now we are forced to pay for a serice that we are NEVER able to use! Anyone else out there feelin our situation? Have you been screwed as well? If so, vent it out!!!
If it were me I would get a lawyer. I would never pay for a service I couldn't use.
Connie

Morristown, TN

#6 Jul 29, 2008
You never authorized it? Meaning, you never joined?

If this is the case then you're screwed if you're paying a collection agency for it. Why pay for something you never authorized? That was basically you admitting you did authorize it.
What happened

United States

#7 Jul 29, 2008
Squirrel Girl, what happened and how were they authorized to charge to your account if you never ok'd it?

Since: Jul 08

Russellville, TN

#8 Jul 29, 2008
Sounds like you're leaving out information because no one in their right mind would pay for something that they didn't authorize. you should have called your bank and told them what what happening and they might have been able to do something to help out (maybe freeze the account until further investigation)
Teacher

Morristown, TN

#9 Jul 29, 2008
I doubt that the gym duped anyone so badly as to charge them without them being unaware. I personally have a problem with the three year contract. Why not a year? I believe that the NFC depends on a certain amount of attrition amongst its members in order to keep attendance small and tolerable yet still pay their overhead and make some money. A motivated person does not need a gym to work out in.
SquirrelGirl

Knoxville, TN

#10 Jul 30, 2008
OK...you have questions, here is more info. B4 the operation opened they had the small office set up beside it to join up in for when the building itself was actually finished. We (husband & I and little ones in tow) went in to check in to things and speak to someone, i.e. we WERE interested in joining. We spoke with a rep (Danny?) and received all of the pertinent information. My hubby was getting ready to sign paperwork and our youngest child starts squalling so he got up to take him outside for a min or two. "Danny" proceeds to tell me to just sign my hubby's name on the paper for him and we can be done. Now I realize that yes, I signed paperwork...HOWEVER...I was specific in asking the following questions:
1. Q: Will we be notified when the gym opens?
A: Absolutley
2. Q: Will you notify us before withdrawing funds
from our account for payment?
A: Absolutley
3. Q: Can we cancel if we are not pleased?
A: Yes, not only can you cancel if you are not
pleased, if you should ever move from this
area to an area where there is not a NFC
facility, your membership will be cancelled
due to lack of a facility in your immediate
area.
Here is what happened...a few months later, there is money being sucked out of our account and we are bumfuzzled as to why...call the bank, and NFC has dipped into our account on 2 seperate occasions causing us to be overdrawn and paying overdraft fees as well. We DID issue a stop payment on them from taking any further $$ out! Next thing we know we get a copy of the contract in the mail and a collections notice for OVER $4000.00!!!!! What [email protected] gym membership in Morristown no less should cost that much???? We tried to argue our case to the collections agency and were informed that if we tried to fight we could lose and have to pay court fees as well, all because they have that contract signed by me while my hubby is trying to soothe my crying child! Yes, a mistake on my part so those of you folks out there who relish in taking aim on someone's mistakes...apparently there are alot of you on here...BACK OFF! I am merely looking to see if this or something similar has ever happened to anyone else and if you had any recourse that you took? Sometimes there is just strength in numbers you know? Thanks for those of you who have offered your advice thus far, these days I think more of us should be sticking together instead of trying to tear each other down!(that goes out to all you Crazy a** sheriff jarnigan posters/bloggers...damn back biters! get some help!)

SquirrelGirl

Knoxville, TN

#11 Jul 30, 2008
Oh and one more piece of info...we contacted NFC regarding this as well and presented our case and advised as to what we were told regarding notification of the gym opening and contacting us regarding our funds. We were told..."Well,we advertised on the radio!" AND "We can not notify everyone that joined, that would just take too much time! You should have known that we would start withdrawing when things opened."
Guess I should have been listening to my radio more...as well as sharpening my non-existent psychic abilities...
Jessie

Morristown, TN

#12 Jul 30, 2008
Well with all the above being said, you have got to pay it. Take it to court, you'll lose, pay court cost, miss work, etc. If you have made one single payment to the collection agency then you have basically admitted you acknowledge the debt. Been there done that. Not with NFC but with a gym that were here years ago. Can't even remember the name of it now. Good luck!
Health World

Morristown, TN

#13 Jul 30, 2008
The gym name was Health World, and it was a RIP off. I remember.
Jessie

Morristown, TN

#14 Jul 30, 2008
That was it. Thank You.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mtown vs Greenville fball 1 hr Who 7
Lindsey Wolfe Lolo Linzi Snitch 3 hr ImCallingBull 10
School zoning 3 hr Dante 13
people you would f*ck at Jtekt 3 hr Big Wayne 53
Ulta Beauty 3 hr VFL18 22
Pain clinic 5 hr poster 4
Wreck on 25 6 hr lol 18
Jerk on 160 8 hr Puff dragon 36

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web