what does it take for dhs to take action?

Posted in the Morristown Forum

momma c

Morristown, TN

#1 Nov 23, 2008
I was just wondering what it takes to get dhs to do something. I have called two or three times and the mother goes off the hung always. Any advice for making sure this little girl gets treated right?
City Girl

Morristown, TN

#2 Nov 23, 2008
They have strict protocols as to which cases they respond to. If the child is in immediate danger, a response within 24 hours is required. I would suggest exaggerated your complaint when you call to get a response.
concerned

Morristown, TN

#3 Nov 23, 2008
You have to keep calling. All calls go through Nashville and are given a priority level. There are three levels. And depending on the severity of the situation they will assign someone the case or never take any action. The more you call the better chances are that someone will come out. Have details, the more you can provide the better. If it's that bad call the cops and then the case will be handed over to dhs and possibly have the child removed from the home.
momma c

Morristown, TN

#4 Nov 23, 2008
The child is not in danger the mother just does not seem to care for the child at all. I am not around the child much as a used to be therefore i cannot make a lot of calls. With that, do you think i have no chance of saving this child?
City Girl

Morristown, TN

#5 Nov 23, 2008
Keep calling with what you know, and pray that someone else who may be closer to the child now will also call.
Sad Situation

Morristown, TN

#6 Nov 23, 2008
Is this child being neglected in any way that you can prove?
momma c

Morristown, TN

#7 Nov 23, 2008
Sad Situation wrote:
Is this child being neglected in any way that you can prove?
Prove-not don't quess i can. But everytime i call i have some kind of neglect to report. Example my last call was the kid never gets a bath! All her girl parts were all red because of that. A year ago i reported that the kid at 4 years old had a diaper rash because we pee in our pull up and mom lays in bed til noon. I feel that those type things i cannot take pictures of. I am just stuck!
Citizen of Motown

Morristown, TN

#8 Nov 23, 2008
Unfortunately neglect that you are describing is not indicative of abuse. However, if you keep calling, eventually they will open a case.

Since: Feb 08

Morristown

#9 Nov 24, 2008
Here's a notion. Call the police. Have them try and to a saftey check. Something along the lines of no food, running water, electricity .. ie ... etc.. Than have your attorney. You have an attorney right ? Anyways... start filing for custody of the child. Or children. We need to care for our children. No issues there. But all these shoulder care givers need to step up. Handle the situation differently !! Attempt to take custody of the children you folks have in question ... and raise them yourself.
As a side note. Some people should not be allowed to have children. Or limited to how many they can have. Too many people in this world and not enough world. Wonder who will give first in that battle ?
Mom

Morristown, TN

#10 Nov 24, 2008
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a custody case into court?

Morristown

#11 Nov 24, 2008
How ever long ti takes a judge to decide the merits of the case. And decide to hear the case. And then your lawyer to draw papers up and have them served. So i would guess if everything went well. You could have the case begin within 3 weeks. Maybe a month. Also depends on the case load the judge has as well. Any vacations he may take... sick days .. etc. If your extremely lucky you could get it started in 2 weeks.
momma c

Morristown, TN

#12 Nov 24, 2008
persona wrote:
Here's a notion. Call the police. Have them try and to a saftey check. Something along the lines of no food, running water, electricity .. ie ... etc.. Than have your attorney. You have an attorney right ? Anyways... start filing for custody of the child. Or children. We need to care for our children. No issues there. But all these shoulder care givers need to step up. Handle the situation differently !! Attempt to take custody of the children you folks have in question ... and raise them yourself.
As a side note. Some people should not be allowed to have children. Or limited to how many they can have. Too many people in this world and not enough world. Wonder who will give first in that battle ?
Ok i know that the child has not food in the house and she does not have a pot to cook in a fork to eat with, stuff like that. So i call the police and the police see that. The police will take the child then? Then i file for custody? Do I have this right?

Morristown

#13 Nov 25, 2008
Well not sure the police will take them. But they will call for a dhs worker to the house to inspect. Though the police have the authority to take children. Only in extreme cases do they normally take them. Usually they work in conjunction with dept of children services. Even making a call to casa might help. Back to your questions. If there is not enough food. And proper cooking items. Then the police may call dhs. Oh depending on how severe the situation is take the child/children. In the mean time if you are family. And know that dhs has the children. You can call and request to be the temporary guardian of the child/children. And if dcs feels the parent/parents aren't making enough progress toward bettering the current situation. Like getting the proper food. Enough pots/pans/plates and other needed items. They may allow you to retain custody of them children on a full time temporary basis. All this is a touch and go situation however. As you would also have to met dcs guidlines to be allowed temp custody of the child/children. DCS will visit your house/apt. Verify income information, length of time at housing, and a few other tid bits. DCS may go ahead if they take the child and let you have temp custody. And then verify all this information at a later time. But will happen fairly quickly. I am sure if everything gets this far, that dcs would/will go before Judge Seals and ask for a casa worker. As well as a guardian ad litem. Which a guardian ad litem is a court approved/appointed attorney. In that postion or situation strictly for the child/children. Looking out for the best intrests of the children. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I will answer your questions as best i can. I am not a paralegal or attorney.
concerned

Morristown, TN

#15 Nov 26, 2008
What is your relationship with the family? Are you an aunt or family member? Dhs always placing the child with a member of the family first after inspecting their home and approve them. If not the child will go into foster care which you have to take classes to become a foster parent. Neglect is a form of abuse and you have all rights to call dhs or the police. Do not take pictures, legal action can come against you. Let the dhs workers or police take all the pictures if needed.
mother

Morristown, TN

#16 Nov 26, 2008
you'll never get my daughter.

stay away from us with your lies!
momma c

Morristown, TN

#17 Nov 26, 2008
Ok guys, problem- i am not related. So does that mean i have no chance?
And now my next piece of info is the mom may go to jail on monday for 48 hours. So where will this child go? Should I call the lady that I last talked to about this child to find out?
And by the way, you all have been so helpful. Thank you for all the advice.

Morristown

#18 Nov 27, 2008
As long as the mother gets proper people to watch her children for the time she is in jail. Unless she has been directed already by DCS to let them know. Then she doesn't have to tell a soul other then where her child will be staying. I must say at this point though. Unless you already have the approved DCS training for being a foster parent and are registered. Or have a boat load of money. I doubt you would be able to become the guardian of her child. The process depending on the situation can be a long drawn out process. It makes the situation worse that your not a blood relative. Generally DCS will try and go thru blood relatives to find someone that cares about the child. And has a suitable living space. Where's the father of the children in all this mess ? I'm quite sure dept of children services will want to interview him as well. And know how he is or is not supporting his child. And to see if he wants to have custody on a temp basis. I t would seem you should contact a local attorney at this point. Not going to say any certain one. Best thing is to hunt yourself. Things rarely go the way we want them to. So would hate to have you do all this. And the child end up in foster care ? You are wanting to help. I understand. But it's also pulling the strings in a child's life as well. And i am not fully qualified to take things further then they are. Best wishes and good luck in any decision you come to !
hello

Morristown, TN

#19 Nov 27, 2008
happy thanksgiving

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lear 29 min Hammer 13
Need Massage (Aug '14) 3 hr Jim 15
Girl with Strap On for me (Mar '12) 3 hr Jim 20
Walter Dale McDaniels 5 hr Looking 1
At night I think of you 7 hr not so quiet 3
disabled tags on high end vehicles? 8 hr omg 13
Erica Lawson and Michael and Lacey Harris 8 hr erica 4
CITY COUNCIL Morristown 9 hr Truth Hurts 64
More from around the web

Morristown People Search