Hamblen County Sheriff's Department T...
assert ur rights

United States

#61 Jun 8, 2012
Local Lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>#1... You can be searched and you possessions searched with no right to a lawyer once you are under arrest. That will come before questioning but not before searches.#2... if you are arrested and taken to jail, your car and property can and will be impounded with or without your consent or that of any lawyer.#3... A traffic infraction does not entitle police to search without your permission as long as you are not under arrest...However, your refusal for permission for a quick look or search leads police to believe you have something to hide and they can bring in a dog to do a walk around. His raction creates probable cause for a search. Or, if they are really interested in you, they can get a judge to issue a warrant because your behavior is suspicious in your refusal to cooperate. If you have nothing to hide, let them search. You create more problems for yourself if you do not.
please explain the basis for arrest on minor traffic violations. If there is nothing visible there is no reason to ask for search therefore no reason to cry probable cause. If you were a lawyer which I highly doubt, you would probably be one of those with your office in the parking lot of SD. My lawyer don't play that sh*t. You better come correct. If they did bring a dog they better get there withing fifteen minutes. Your theory doesn't work on minor traffic infractions. We all know they do what they want but with an attorney like mine it better be by the book.
Local Lawyer

Johnson City, TN

#62 Jun 8, 2012
assert ur rights wrote:
<quoted text>please explain the basis for arrest on minor traffic violations. If there is nothing visible there is no reason to ask for search therefore no reason to cry probable cause. If you were a lawyer which I highly doubt, you would probably be one of those with your office in the parking lot of SD. My lawyer don't play that sh*t. You better come correct. If they did bring a dog they better get there withing fifteen minutes. Your theory doesn't work on minor traffic infractions. We all know they do what they want but with an attorney like mine it better be by the book.
I never said there was a basis for arrest on minor traffic violations. Just because there is nothing visable does not mean the officer can't ask to search. He can say your behavior or level of nervousness is his reason and he can call in a dog if he wishes to push the issue. He has no time limit to bring the dog. It is not a theory but fact. Minor traffic offences does not preclude a request to search and a refusal can and often does, if the officer really thinks the one stopped is dirty, constitute use of the dog to establish probable cause for further action.
oh my oh my

United States

#63 Jun 8, 2012
way to gi wrote:
<quoted text> glad you support a sheriffs dept that would do nothing about two deputies have sex on duty while the was working to protect the county so glad to no they are working hard on the tax man dime . The female deputy bullington got a promotion to work in the school and the male office was a LT. And he was demoted to just patrol now why was they both not sent home and why did just one get in trouble makes you wonder who else Melissa bullington is have sex with at the sheriffs department
wow something needs to be done about this she don't need to be working in the school
assert ur rights

United States

#64 Jun 8, 2012
Local Lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>I never said there was a basis for arrest on minor traffic violations. Just because there is nothing visable does not mean the officer can't ask to search. He can say your behavior or level of nervousness is his reason and he can call in a dog if he wishes to push the issue. He has no time limit to bring the dog. It is not a theory but fact. Minor traffic offences does not preclude a request to search and a refusal can and often does, if the officer really thinks the one stopped is dirty, constitute use of the dog to establish probable cause for further action.
He can SAY his d*ck is 10inches long, one could also say they're a lawyer and they know how to spell offense but, when you step in that courtroom in front of a judge and a lawyer who cares nothing about local politics you better have your ducks in a row. What you can prove with facts is all that matters.
Hamblen County Tax Payer

Morristown, TN

#65 Jun 8, 2012
Local Lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>Never said you did not have the right to ask for a search warrant. Just said that they can bring in the dog and if he triggers, you are gonna be searched. He should not trigger if you are clean. But what do you have to hide...why the resistance, simply to exert your right of being right? Less trouble to cooperate and be viewed as a good cooperative citizen than someone who presents something to hide. I tell my clients that if you are clean, let em search.
I have nothing to hide. I do not consent to anything I own being searched, ever. That is my right as an American citizen and I will never give up that right. You do not sound like any lawyer I know. Every attorney I know advises not to give consent to search no matter what. I think "Assert ur rights" called it correctly. I have my doubts that you are a lawyer. You might be a prosecutor but more than likely you're a cop.
Realamericanhero

United States

#66 Jun 8, 2012
If a cop pulled me over and i knew that I didn't have anything on me I would F with a cop so much. Why not exercise your rights when these cops are out to get you I'll would waste their time for wasting mine.
Hamblen County Tax Payer

Morristown, TN

#67 Jun 9, 2012
Realamericanhero wrote:
If a cop pulled me over and i knew that I didn't have anything on me I would F with a cop so much. Why not exercise your rights when these cops are out to get you I'll would waste their time for wasting mine.
A lot of cops here think they are hot snit and are to be treated as royalty. Well, I pay taxes that pay their salaries and they are not going to intimidate me into anything. They start playing their little games with me and I'll play my little games with them when I know i have done nothing wrong.
taxman

Nashville, TN

#68 Jun 9, 2012
just pay your taxes and quit whining !!
Local Lawyer

Johnson City, TN

#69 Jun 9, 2012
Hamblen County Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have nothing to hide. I do not consent to anything I own being searched, ever. That is my right as an American citizen and I will never give up that right. You do not sound like any lawyer I know. Every attorney I know advises not to give consent to search no matter what. I think "Assert ur rights" called it correctly. I have my doubts that you are a lawyer. You might be a prosecutor but more than likely you're a cop.
I'm sorry but if I were a prosecutor, I WOULD STILL BE A LAWYER !!! Too bad you came to an intellectual conversation UNARMED... I advise my clients to go the path of least resistance to cause themselves less grief in the long run. Not all lawyers like to cause nothing but trouble for their clients. It is the clients neck that is in the noose so to speak. At the end of the day, I go home and sleep with my wife while you are standing up for your rights in jail waiting to explain it to the judge. If it all turns out in your favor, thats fine but, you lost time in jail and lost your bail money, even if they were wrong. And don't even go there about how you would sue because you most likely would lose based on the crappy attitude you had with the police to begin with that gave them marginal probable cause to start it all off.
duh

Morristown, TN

#70 Jun 9, 2012
Hamblen County Tax Payer wrote:
The Citizen Tribune has reported several times this week about the Hamblen County Sheriff's Department stopping cars on I81 for drivers not wearing seat belts and then proceeding to arrest these individuals for possession of drugs. All individuals stopped and cited were of a certain age group. This is PROFILING and profiling is ILLEGAL. I have never known of the Hamblen County Sheriff's Department routinely stopping vehicles on I81. I do believe the sheriff's department is conducting these stops because they are aware that fans attending Bonnaroo are traveling on the interstate during this time. The sheriff's department needs to stay off the interstate and let the Tennessee Highway Patrol make stops on the interstate. The Hamblen County Sheriff's Department has enough to keep them busy if they would arrest all of the meth-heads in Hamblen County that are not on the interstate. The sheriff's department needs to take care of Hamblen County residents and let the highway patrol take care of the interstate.
Wow, all I can say is you are very stupid. I read the tribune and from what I read they stopped 2 cars. The 1st one stated, was for the seat belt and after they stopped her, the officer smelled pot which is why they wanted to search. She had heroin,LSD,2 forms of the psychedelic drug ecstasy,pot and counterfeit money.Inside her vehicle was 18 single shots bundles of heroin, 6 LSD tablets,5 ecstasy pills,about a gram of "molly powder",pot 2 adderall pills and 1 xanax pill.She also had $244.00 that was phony money and had a fake ID. I can not believe anyone was be stupid enough to fuss about the county officers doing such a great job. The 2nd car had 3 people in it and they had 32 ecstasy pills,24.6 grams of pot and one of them had a fake ID. The county officers can be anywhere in the county whether it be on a city rode,a county road or the interstate.I am very happy they done their job.
my thoughts

Dandridge, TN

#71 Jun 9, 2012
Hamblem County Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>
They were not cited for DUI. They were cited for possession. Therefore, they were not "wasted". The sheriff's department does not routinely patrol the interstate. They are patrolling the interstate this week to target Bonnaroo fans. These fans were not even going to stop in Hamblen County. They were passing through. They were no threat to any resident of Hamblen County. I want our tax money and resources used to protect the citizens of Hamblen County from crimes that are actually a threat to Hamblen County not some other county in TN.
If they are no threat then please stay in your home and do not travel our roads or take a trip to Dollywood this weekend!!! It would be you who would complain when one of these people cause a wreck because of drugs or alcohol! You would then be yelling wondering where youf police was!!!! The police can not win in everyones eyes, I don't care who they arrest or where as long as the person is doing wrong in our county they need to be stopped! Keep up the good work HCSD!
Hamblen County Tax Payer

Morristown, TN

#72 Jun 9, 2012
Local Lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry but if I were a prosecutor, I WOULD STILL BE A LAWYER !!! Too bad you came to an intellectual conversation UNARMED... I advise my clients to go the path of least resistance to cause themselves less grief in the long run. Not all lawyers like to cause nothing but trouble for their clients. It is the clients neck that is in the noose so to speak. At the end of the day, I go home and sleep with my wife while you are standing up for your rights in jail waiting to explain it to the judge. If it all turns out in your favor, thats fine but, you lost time in jail and lost your bail money, even if they were wrong. And don't even go there about how you would sue because you most likely would lose based on the crappy attitude you had with the police to begin with that gave them marginal probable cause to start it all off.
I will not be arrested because I do not break the law. I have nothing on or in my property that is illegal.
It is not illegal for me to refuse to consent to a search of my property and I cannot be arrested for not consenting. So why would I be in jail when a search warrant would render nothing? If you're truly a lawyer, you would know this. I do believe you are the one that came to this conversation unarmed intellectually only drawing on your cop mentality and not knowing what the law actually entitles me to do legally.
Hamblen County Tax Payer

Morristown, TN

#73 Jun 10, 2012
duh wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, all I can say is you are very stupid. I read the tribune and from what I read they stopped 2 cars. The 1st one stated, was for the seat belt and after they stopped her, the officer smelled pot which is why they wanted to search. She had heroin,LSD,2 forms of the psychedelic drug ecstasy,pot and counterfeit money.Inside her vehicle was 18 single shots bundles of heroin, 6 LSD tablets,5 ecstasy pills,about a gram of "molly powder",pot 2 adderall pills and 1 xanax pill.She also had $244.00 that was phony money and had a fake ID. I can not believe anyone was be stupid enough to fuss about the county officers doing such a great job. The 2nd car had 3 people in it and they had 32 ecstasy pills,24.6 grams of pot and one of them had a fake ID. The county officers can be anywhere in the county whether it be on a city rode,a county road or the interstate.I am very happy they done their job.
The Citizen Tribune had published articles prior to Thursday (the day the article you referred to was published) saying that the sheriff's office had been stopping cars on the interstate practically all week based on the "no seatbelt" law. Not too long ago, the sheriff stated that his office would not be patrolling the interstate. There are dangerous criminals living in Hamblen County who are a threat to the citizens of Hamblen county that the sheriff's department should be concentrating on arresting instead of some Bonnaroo Fans on the interstate. If these people did possess drugs, more than likely they were going to use them at Bonnaroo. Manchester, TN needs to deal with these people since Bonnaroo is in Manchester, Tn instead of Hamblen county law enforcement. These officers chose to make an easy buck going after these young people on the interstate instead of doing the harder job of arresting criminals residing in Hamblen County. Our law enforcement could be better utilized going after dangerous criminals residing in Hamblen County that are actually a volatile threat to the citizens of Hamblen County.
Hamblen County Tax Payer

Morristown, TN

#74 Jun 10, 2012
my thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>If they are no threat then please stay in your home and do not travel our roads or take a trip to Dollywood this weekend!!! It would be you who would complain when one of these people cause a wreck because of drugs or alcohol! You would then be yelling wondering where youf police was!!!! The police can not win in everyones eyes, I don't care who they arrest or where as long as the person is doing wrong in our county they need to be stopped! Keep up the good work HCSD!
You do not know me and you have no clue what I would or would not complain about. And you most certainly do not know if i would be "yelling" or not. I wonder how many break ins, wrecks and criminal acts were committed in Hamblen County while our officers were playing Barney Fife on the interstate and someone needed for law enforcement to be close by and they weren't?
Waaa waaa waaa

Sharon, SC

#75 Jun 10, 2012
Who cares if its thp or hcsd? Slow down, buckle up and stay sober.
Facts is facts

Johnson City, TN

#76 Jun 10, 2012
Hamblen County Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>
I will not be arrested because I do not break the law. I have nothing on or in my property that is illegal.
It is not illegal for me to refuse to consent to a search of my property and I cannot be arrested for not consenting. So why would I be in jail when a search warrant would render nothing? If you're truly a lawyer, you would know this. I do believe you are the one that came to this conversation unarmed intellectually only drawing on your cop mentality and not knowing what the law actually entitles me to do legally.
If you could read, you would see that I said none of what you said I did. I never said it was illegal for you to refuse consent to be searched, personal or property (unless you are under arrest, then you have no say). I never said you would be in jail (unless you were under arrest).I never said you could be arrested for not consenting. I said that (expanded version) if a police officer felt he had reasonable suspicion, he could then bring in a dog or hold you and secure a search warrant BUT ONLY IF HE HAD REASONABLE SUSPICION OR PROBABLE CAUSE. Learn to comprehend what you read. He would have to answer as to what his suspicion or probable cause was if he pushed that far and I am sure he would have them if he did push it that far. He/she has to answer for what they do. And if a search warrant would render nothing, then you are good to go and could file suit and make him/her produce said cause for the action taken in court as your civil rights have been violated. I know what the law legally entitles you to do and not do. I never said anything to the contrary. By the way, in some states and/or municipalities in the United States, you can be forced to submit to a patdown or search of property you may have in you possession at that time. Refusal would get you arrested as that is a violation of a law on the books in the state ot town/county.
Local Lawyer

Johnson City, TN

#77 Jun 10, 2012
And ys, I do, like a lot of other people on here, use different screen names. I don't always answer from a legal standpoint but from a persoanl opinion and I try and not mix personal opinion and legal opinion.
Looking

Morristown, TN

#78 Jun 10, 2012
Facts is facts wrote:
<quoted text>If you could read, you would see that I said none of what you said I did. I never said it was illegal for you to refuse consent to be searched, personal or property (unless you are under arrest, then you have no say). I never said you would be in jail (unless you were under arrest).I never said you could be arrested for not consenting. I said that (expanded version) if a police officer felt he had reasonable suspicion, he could then bring in a dog or hold you and secure a search warrant BUT ONLY IF HE HAD REASONABLE SUSPICION OR PROBABLE CAUSE. Learn to comprehend what you read. He would have to answer as to what his suspicion or probable cause was if he pushed that far and I am sure he would have them if he did push it that far. He/she has to answer for what they do. And if a search warrant would render nothing, then you are good to go and could file suit and make him/her produce said cause for the action taken in court as your civil rights have been violated. I know what the law legally entitles you to do and not do. I never said anything to the contrary. By the way, in some states and/or municipalities in the United States, you can be forced to submit to a patdown or search of property you may have in you possession at that time. Refusal would get you arrested as that is a violation of a law on the books in the state ot town/county.
Read your previous statement again. You did say that you would be home sleeping with your wife while I was in jail waiting to explain it to a judge.
Hamblen County Tax Payer

Morristown, TN

#79 Jun 10, 2012
Facts is facts wrote:
<quoted text>If you could read, you would see that I said none of what you said I did. I never said it was illegal for you to refuse consent to be searched, personal or property (unless you are under arrest, then you have no say). I never said you would be in jail (unless you were under arrest).I never said you could be arrested for not consenting. I said that (expanded version) if a police officer felt he had reasonable suspicion, he could then bring in a dog or hold you and secure a search warrant BUT ONLY IF HE HAD REASONABLE SUSPICION OR PROBABLE CAUSE. Learn to comprehend what you read. He would have to answer as to what his suspicion or probable cause was if he pushed that far and I am sure he would have them if he did push it that far. He/she has to answer for what they do. And if a search warrant would render nothing, then you are good to go and could file suit and make him/her produce said cause for the action taken in court as your civil rights have been violated. I know what the law legally entitles you to do and not do. I never said anything to the contrary. By the way, in some states and/or municipalities in the United States, you can be forced to submit to a patdown or search of property you may have in you possession at that time. Refusal would get you arrested as that is a violation of a law on the books in the state ot town/county.
Well, Facts is Facts/Local Lawyer, read your previous post again. You said you would be home sleeping with your wife while I was in jail waiting to explain it to a judge.
Local Lawyer

Johnson City, TN

#80 Jun 10, 2012
Yes I did but you took that out of context of the whole post. It was not directed at you personally, but rather "you" meaning people in general who like to cause problems and make waves rather than let a simple look satisfy the officer and they are on their way. The cop mentality is that honest people have nothing to hide and those that balk or refuse do. Most of the time, unfortunatly, they are right and the ones who feel they are in the right and are being unjustly harrassed end up criminalized in the mind of the cop. My point being is that is is simply not worth the hassle in the long run. Let em look and go on your way. Makes life easier.But, if you want to stand your ground and defend you rights, please go ahead, you just put money in the pockets of the lawyer who you hire to defend you. If you do not hire one, good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
14 min Southerner 2
someone that can do GOOD alterations in morrist... (May '09) 17 min bob 21
democrat-john-mccain 21 min Southerner 2
Sandra Kay fretting used 1 hr Jack 2
Buffalo trail Walmart Neighborhood Market 2 hr LMJ 14
Hot county cops 3 hr Angel face 11
A message to Wesley Manis 4 hr Thoughtuknew 1

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morristown Mortgages