RUSure

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Is the rumor I have heard about Gillies leaving East true? If so, it is about time! Why he was around this long puzzles me. I remember the days when East was competitive and not even considered to be compared to a rec league team like it has been the past few years. I hope they get someone who will turn it around. Do you think Wills or Haun will get it, will they go outside the town or state, or will they hire another "fresh out of college 22 or 23 year old (since that worked so well for them with Gillies!)"? I personally want them to hire somebody more interested in winning than trying to start a program with 3 teams! Gillies seems to be a good guy, I've talked to him a couple of times, but he's just not a good coach in my opinion. So, don't get me wrong I'm not bashing him as a person, just his coaching.
tenth inning

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

RUSure wrote:
Is the rumor I have heard about Gillies leaving East true? If so, it is about time! Why he was around this long puzzles me. I remember the days when East was competitive and not even considered to be compared to a rec league team like it has been the past few years. I hope they get someone who will turn it around. Do you think Wills or Haun will get it, will they go outside the town or state, or will they hire another "fresh out of college 22 or 23 year old (since that worked so well for them with Gillies!)"? I personally want them to hire somebody more interested in winning than trying to start a program with 3 teams! Gillies seems to be a good guy, I've talked to him a couple of times, but he's just not a good coach in my opinion. So, don't get me wrong I'm not bashing him as a person, just his coaching.
I understand what you mean... Just because someone is in over their head doesnt mean they arent trying to do well.. I dont think the problem was that the guy didnt care, he just tried to please everyone. That is a tragic thing to do in the sports world.
Their is no pride when everyone makes the team... They just expect to be added to the roster with little effort. To have a great team or program you have to got to have someone challenging you for every position. There cant be any give-me spots. Every player on a team needs to know with no surprise that their position is not held just for them. That is the kind of coach I would want to see in any sport at any level.
Yes he is leaving and I only wish him the best......
RUSure

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

tenth inning wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you mean... Just because someone is in over their head doesnt mean they arent trying to do well.. I dont think the problem was that the guy didnt care, he just tried to please everyone. That is a tragic thing to do in the sports world.
Their is no pride when everyone makes the team... They just expect to be added to the roster with little effort. To have a great team or program you have to got to have someone challenging you for every position. There cant be any give-me spots. Every player on a team needs to know with no surprise that their position is not held just for them. That is the kind of coach I would want to see in any sport at any level.
Yes he is leaving and I only wish him the best.....
I am glad he is leaving, but I do wish him well! Thank you for an intelligent post.
Insider

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

The list of people who will most likely apply from what I hear are as follows:

Ryan Haun
Corey McGinnis
Johnny Rice
David Hartsook
Justin Hite
Chris Shockley

Just the word on the street. Thoughts?
wondering

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Judged:

Insider wrote:
The list of people who will most likely apply from what I hear are as follows:

Ryan Haun
Corey McGinnis
Johnny Rice
David Hartsook
Justin Hite
Chris Shockley

Just the word on the street. Thoughts?
all the guys are very young to be head coaches. Except Rice. What about any old coaches that use to coach around hear????
Seriously

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
all the guys are very young to be head coaches. Except Rice. What about any old coaches that use to coach around hear????
Do you even have a clue? Do you think a man in his 50's needs to coach and if so that person has to teach? They're not going to hire an old rec league coach! Hartsook is about 40, Haun and Rice are in their 30's, and the other three are mid 20's. Hartsook, Rice, and Haun will be my votes. They are all old enough, all are from the area and remember how it used to be, and have adequate coaching experience. It also depends on what faculty positions need filled.
Just sayin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Definitely not Haun
FYI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Hartsook is the elder of that group in his 40s. Rice isn't far behind. Haun, Shockley and Hite are 30ish. Mcginnis is the younger of the five mentioned.
wondering

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>Do you even have a clue? Do you think a man in his 50's needs to coach and if so that person has to teach? They're not going to hire an old rec league coach! Hartsook is about 40, Haun and Rice are in their 30's, and the other three are mid 20's. Hartsook, Rice, and Haun will be my votes. They are all old enough, all are from the area and remember how it used to be, and have adequate coaching experience. It also depends on what faculty positions need filled.
i know them all. Rice would be a great fit and he is a great guy!
Seriously

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Judged:

FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
Hartsook is the elder of that group in his 40s. Rice isn't far behind. Haun, Shockley and Hite are 30ish. Mcginnis is the younger of the five mentioned.
There is only 3-4 years between Rice and Haun. The other three are in their mid 20s. I watched all those guys play in high school.
In the know

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Judged:

Decker won't hire any of those guys. He will go outside the area, just like Scott Walker did at Jefferson County. He went and got Josh Warner from Dobyns Bennet.
Johnny Rice wanted the job when Adrian Wills got it. He's old news. McGinnis and Haun couldn't even control the freshmen and jv teams. Shockley ha that's funny. Hite was banned at West this season as a jv coach for yelling too much. Heard he wasn't even retained at West. Hartsock was 1-27 at Cherokee this season.
The guy they hire will be someone none of us have even heard of.
Senior Now

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

In the know wrote:
Decker won't hire any of those guys. He will go outside the area, just like Scott Walker did at Jefferson County. He went and got Josh Warner from Dobyns Bennet.
Johnny Rice wanted the job when Adrian Wills got it. He's old news. McGinnis and Haun couldn't even control the freshmen and jv teams. Shockley ha that's funny. Hite was banned at West this season as a jv coach for yelling too much. Heard he wasn't even retained at West. Hartsock was 1-27 at Cherokee this season.
Haun and McGinnis had no say in the players they received, gillies picked all of them! Also, have you ever played for the guys, I have. I played for Haun my freshman and sophomore years. He knew the game, also pitchers actually threw bullpens during practice, and we also took a lot more batting practice. The team he had this year only had a handfull of actual players, but if you had paid any attention that team got better as the year went on. The other thing was that Gillies wouldn't let him pull better freshman players up like was needed to. The JV team got better when Haun brought up 4 freshmen to play.
You don't know that Haun and McGinnis were only doing what the head coach asked them to do. I want Coach Haun to coach us next year, he cares about winning and not so much about player development. The guys he selects to be on the team will be guys that are ballplayers, not wannabes. We want Haun!
What

Blacksburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

In the know wrote:
You're an idiot. Hite coached the middle school program and volunteered as an assistant because he was brought in at the break. He was great the kids said. And to be honest, don't think I've ever heard him raise his voice. I hope he stays at west. I'd say he will. I doubt East would hire him to be head coach. Rice or Haun would probably be front runners if I had a vote. I'm sure this thread will eventually turn to smearing soon. You started it off well belittling all candidates mentioned.
really

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

What wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. Hite coached the middle school program and volunteered as an assistant because he was brought in at the break. He was great the kids said. And to be honest, don't think I've ever heard him raise his voice. I hope he stays at west. I'd say he will. I doubt East would hire him to be head coach. Rice or Haun would probably be front runners if I had a vote. I'm sure this thread will eventually turn to smearing soon. You started it off well belittling all candidates mentioned.
why would one person say he yelled too much and you say you didnt hear him raise his voice did u see him coach? I'm just asking because i didnt ?
Swim Mom

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

What wrote:
<quoted text>
Coach Hite is young, but he's a great person. We were fortunate to have him as swim coach for part of our season this year. No, he's never coach swimming, but he found the resources he needed to help our kids and finish the season strong. As a matter of fact, West finished very well.....much better than East did with their "coach". And I must say that coach Hite is a teacher/coach who was there for the kids. They were his main concern & it showed. I NEVER once heard him raise his voice at any of the kids. I hope he's our coach again next year.
Funny

Blacksburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

That folks accuse Hite of yelling. He's the most laid back and funny guy you'll meet. He knows baseball too.
RosannaStone

Newport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

Me habla englis muy poco
former player

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

I would take rice any day over that group. Hite is a good guy and knows baseball but doesnt have enough experience in coaching yet. Please no haun, he wasnt a good player and i dont see anything that impresses me about his coaching. John is an intelligent guy who understands baseball and education. He was a part of the winning teams at east and I believe has the best chance to get them back there.
Player 2

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

former player wrote:
I would take rice any day over that group. Hite is a good guy and knows baseball but doesnt have enough experience in coaching yet. Please no haun, he wasnt a good player and i dont see anything that impresses me about his coaching. John is an intelligent guy who understands baseball and education. He was a part of the winning teams at east and I believe has the best chance to get them back there.
You don't know what you're talking about. You've changed your name on this thread fro just sayin to former player!
Bolt

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

What did gillis teach.? What does rice and haun teach?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 6 min BellBoy 145,499
doctor scott matson in morristown (Aug '12) 42 min mechanically incl... 13
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 56 min chris 9,313
hookers in morristown?? u gotta be sh*tting me... 59 min Just me 17
Jennifer 1 hr Who cares 2
Need Massage 1 hr Needy 3
What is going on at the animal shelter? 2 hr Andrea Brooks 94
County Commission Antics 11 hr spade 22
Whats going on at old black college? 13 hr yup 20
•••
•••
•••

Morristown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000