Victims identified in three-vehicle I...

Victims identified in three-vehicle I-10 fatal

There are 20 comments on the The Arizona Daily Star story from Sep 13, 2008, titled Victims identified in three-vehicle I-10 fatal. In it, The Arizona Daily Star reports that:

The Department of Public Safety has identified the two victims from Friday's three-vehicle fatal accident on Interstate 10 Southeast of Tucson.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Arizona Daily Star.

KSF

Anaheim, CA

#1 Sep 14, 2008
Wow, all that to avoid a stray dog. It also shows you that vans, SUV's, etc. sure roll easily - way too easily. Poor mother who lost both her husband AND her son!
DML

Rock Springs, WY

#2 Sep 14, 2008
It was her brother and her son and they are my cousins. It's such a tragedy all because of a loose DPS dog. Please keep the family in your prayers
Observer

Peoria, AZ

#3 Sep 14, 2008
A DPS dog? don't think so. Trying to line up your lawsuit already loser?
DML

Rock Springs, WY

#4 Sep 14, 2008
Observer wrote:
A DPS dog? don't think so. Trying to line up your lawsuit already loser?
Loser huh! Watch this video and then apologize. www.kvoa.com : Interstate accident kills two
Romy S

United States

#5 Sep 15, 2008
According to DPS onsite Officer: The dog supposedly belonged to a UNKNOWN DRIVER that was parked along the Highway. The Dog was hit and after everyone was wrecked...the Dead Dog's OWNER drove off! MY SIL, slowed to avoid hitting the VAN of Girls! The Semi-Flatbed Driver proceeded to REAR-END My SIL'S Acura.LOOK at the damage to the Acura... ANYONE calling anyone a loser in that Acura is an idiot! The Truck driver evidently did not control his VEHICLE (Like in FAILURE to Control!) LEAVING a proper distance between vehicles, was the Trucker's AFTER-THOUGHT! It is proved that My SIL never hit the Van infront of her, so she was doing the proper thing...SLOWING had control of her vehicle, UNTIL the TRACTOR/flatbed completely mangled it. It is a MIRACLE that My Dear SIL is alive(still hospitalized) and All PRAYERS for her Complete Healing are welcomed..Other NEGATIVE comments by folks who do not know a thing of the facts including the type of vehicle she drove, Are NOT! JUST to set it all straight!
Romy S

United States

#6 Sep 15, 2008
BTW:I am Not from ROCHESTER, NY...but from St. Johns, Az.
student at tombstone

Queen Creek, AZ

#7 Sep 15, 2008
nobody should be calling anybody losers honestly you were not there and this is tragic for tombstone and sam manuels(or however its spelled). im in the band at tombstone so i dont think this is a joking matter or funny. we r lucky none of the cheerleaders died and all my prayers go to the ones that did and anyone injured..if you wanna talk email me at
[email protected]
ill write back
bye
KSF

Anaheim, CA

#8 Sep 16, 2008
Romy S wrote:
BTW:I am Not from ROCHESTER, NY...but from St. Johns, Az.
Like we care. Believe me, nobody was looking at where you are from. It just means that your city accessed another town's product to get you on line.
robert cline

Tucson, AZ

#9 Sep 16, 2008
There have been alot of stories about the wreck, some isnt true. Would like to talk to the news. need numbers. Father of cheerleader.
Christina W

Queen Creek, AZ

#10 Sep 16, 2008
How is ur kid doing? I'm trying to send money to help out with the bills..is ur kid in critical condition? Do you think you can give me the schoolds address??

you can email me at

[email protected]
Romy S

United States

#11 Sep 18, 2008
To Robert Cline: Father of a Cheerleader: Here is the Story that is dated 9/17/08 from the BENSONNEWS-SUN: http://www.bensonnews-sun.com/articles/2008/0... The #'s that you are looking for should be listed on the site...(And as follows:)A multi-vehicle accident Friday night on Interstate 10 five miles west of Mescal left two
dead, three seriously injured, and 11 others sent to hospitals with various non-life
threatening injuries.(and following in next post)
Romy S

United States

#12 Sep 18, 2008
The accident, which one firefighter described as "something you only see on TV news"
occurred around 5 p.m. on eastbound I-10 just west of the Empirita Road exit. Traffic in
both directions came to a standstill during rush hour as ambulances, fire trucks, squad
cars, and med-evac choppers descended on the scene.
According to the Arizona Department of Public Safety, a 2007 Acura with three
occupants, a tractor-trailer with two occupants, and a van carrying eight San Manuel
High School cheerleaders and three coaches were involved in the wreck, which witnesses
say started when a dog darted into traffic.
Romy S

United States

#13 Sep 18, 2008
The driver of van, coach Elizabeth Zazueta, age 47, swerved to avoid hitting the dog but
lost control of the van, which then rolled. All of the van's occupants were injured, with
Zazueta and cheerleader Tyler Cline, age 16, in critical condition at University Medical
Center as of Monday morning. Three others from the van are in fair condition at area
hospitals.
Witnesses say the driver of the car, Sally Spettigue of Surprise, slowed down to avoid the
out-of-control van. Her car was then rear-ended at high speed by the semi-truck, with the
force of the impact pushing the Acura's trunk into its passenger compartment.
Romy S

United States

#14 Sep 18, 2008
Spettigue, age 41, suffered chest injuries and was trapped in her vehicle for thirty
minutes. Medical personnel stabilized her while firefighters used the Jaws of Life to
remove her from the mangled car. She was airlifted to UMC, where on Sunday night she
was upgraded from serious to fair condition.
Richard Spettigue, age, 56, of Casa Grande, who was in the front passenger seat, and
Brandon Spettigue, age 22, who was in the rear seat, died at the scene. Mescal and
Benson firefighters remained on-scene after the injured had been transported, as the
younger Spettigue's body had to be extricated from the car.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, Richard Liller, age 45, of Hot Springs, Colo., and his
passenger were treated on-scene for shock and then transported to the hospital. They were
released after observation and treatment.
Romy S

United States

#15 Sep 18, 2008
A Tucson DPS officer says there was no immediate indication of mechanical failure or
driver inattention by Liller. "It appears to be one of those freak things," said the officer.
"You don't expect a dog to be in the highway or have someone slam on their brakes
without warning."
DPS is investigating whether the dog, which was struck and killed by a vehicle, jumped
from a vehicle or was thrown out. DPS will also inspect Liller's truck as part of their
investigative process. It is unclear how many of the student's were wearing seatbelts.
Bystanders provided first aid to the students until medical help arrived. Paramedic Chris
Bernal of Mescal Fire was the first emergency responder to arrive on-scene. He
established a triage and assumed incident command, calling for mutual aid from Benson
Fire and Rincon Valley in Vail. "We really needed their help," said Bernal of the
assistance from neighboring departments.
Bernal was assisted by Benson Fire Chief Keith Spangler, who is a paramedic, three
Mescal Fire EMTS, two Benson Fire EMTS, and two firefighters. Off-duty firefighters
from Fry Fire District, Douglas Fire, and Davis-Monthan who were driving by also
helped treat the injured.
Several ground amublances transported the injured to various hospitals, with the four
most critically injured flown to Tucson.
Westbound traffic reopened after an hour, followed by one lane of eastbound traffic at 7
p.m. The second eastbound lane was opened after 8 p.m., with DPS accident
investigators on-scene for several hours.
Friday's football game between San Manuel and Tombstone was cancelled upon news of
the accident. Grief counselors will be at the school throughout the week to help students
and staff deal with the accident.
Romy S

United States

#16 Sep 18, 2008
FROM WHAT the DPS Officers said..The Dog was hit & KILLED. I have a big problem with a statement made by the Officer here in the article that Dismissed this as "It appears to be one of those freak things," said the officer.
"You don't expect a dog to be in the highway or have someone slam on their brakes
without warning." If it's a dog, coyote, deer or Elk etc. this is not an abnormal occurrence... Critters & People are on the Highway all the time... it's not a FREAK(unusual) thing! That is why a safe FOLLOWING distance is so important! When you take Your CDL Test...Following Distances is stressed as VERY IMPORTANT! The FOLLOWING Distance of the Semi, the Speed, Road Conditions,the size of the vehicle & Load all is to be considered if you are a Responsible Truck Driver! There will be more scrutiny of the accident to come, I can Promise you that!
Romy S

United States

#17 Sep 18, 2008
and KSF.. give it a rest! Deaths of Loved ones is not a laughing matter! AND if you have something to say other than the wise cracks, say it- If not, I doubt whether we care what your problem is!
KSF

Anaheim, CA

#18 Sep 18, 2008
Romy S wrote:
and KSF.. give it a rest! Deaths of Loved ones is not a laughing matter! AND if you have something to say other than the wise cracks, say it- If not, I doubt whether we care what your problem is!
Actually, "give it a rest" is a phrase that is used when someone says or does something over and over again. Death is everywhere, no one was meant to be disrespected. You missed the point - no one is looking at your location and no one at all CARES when people misspell words! I hate when people misspell a word in a text, then follow it up with a correction. Now that's something that people need to give a rest to! Too bad you didn't get it. Maybe now you do.
robert cline

Tucson, AZ

#19 Sep 19, 2008
Christina W wrote:
How is ur kid doing? I'm trying to send money to help out with the bills..is ur kid in critical condition? Do you think you can give me the schoolds address??
you can email me at
[email protected]
She is home and doing alot better. A long road ahead of her. Thanks for thinking about us.
Romy S

United States

#20 Sep 21, 2008
robert cline wrote:
There have been alot of stories about the wreck, some isnt true. Would like to talk to the news. need numbers. Father of cheerleader.
... I am noticing that there are now different Stories(Being written)about what happened that Night of the Accident. IF anyone is interested in the truth. LOOK at the Film Clip on KVOA...then NOTE that there is NO DAMAGE to the front end of My SIL'S Acura Sedan! You can PAUSE the film clip. NO WHITE paint on the front of her vehicle anywhere! The damage to the rear & TOP of the Acura was caused by the Semi that Rear ended her. Our Family of the 2 deceased family members want to thank the Man & His family- that comforted my Severly Injured SIL while she was still pinned in her vehicle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News El Mirage police chief: Speeding surges on Gran... Jul 19 I hate pigs 1
Epcor Water Bill (Jun '12) Jul 14 hibbz 21
Earn gift cards quick and easy! Jul 11 Nielsen3133 1
post feature points referral codes here (May '15) Jul 10 Makaveli 16
News Accused child molester turns himself in to police (May '07) Jul 9 Boy crush bj 11
Review: Lone Star Property Management (Apr '09) Jul 3 cari blair 21
Review: Deep Within Recovery Inc (May '10) Jun '16 Todd l 29

Morristown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morristown Mortgages