Morrice/Perry Consolidation

Morrice/Perry Consolidation

Posted in the Morrice Forum

Koyl

United States

#1 Dec 23, 2007
A few Rambling thoughts:

Why is it the only ones acting like adults in the consolidation issue between Perry & Morrice are the students?
Why is this issue letting Neighbors to fight with Neighbors, Friends to fight with Friends, Family members fight with Family members?
Both sides are are acting irresponsible in my view, They both either put out the pros as to why consolidation is a good thing or a bad thing but not the cons at the same time. Or they put out the cons of why consolidation is a bad thing or a good thing, but not the pros at the same time.
I must admit I have been in this community only for 12 years but if this is how both communities work to solve issues then no wonder each is in financial trouble.
Personally I see the good and bad on both parts, How will I vote...That issue is still being researched. As far as Morrice asking for bonds to continue, I have no problem with voting yes on bonds when they are appropriate and not trying to pass without the public knowledge bond issues are coming up to a vote.Say you want but I do know first hand people saying to keep the bond vote quiet cause we do not want the people who would vote no on the issue to know. That in my eyes is dishonest, I maintain be outgoing on issues on the bond get the word out better and explain exactly why the bond is needed, you may be surprise people may actually vote for it and not against it cause they think the school district I trying to pull a fast one.
And yes I do agree successful people have graduated from Morrice along with Perry schools. but what is the ratio of those who are prepared for college against those who are not. I have had 2 children graduate from Morrice and know their friends, it was surprising to me to hear how they were shocked and ill prepared for the college level.
But these are a few of my own rambling thoughts, Agree or Disagree, this is America and you have a right to do that, but there is no reason for hostilities to brew over this issue. The Students of both communities are smart kids who will adapt either way. But what type of leadership are we showing them when you have the bickering and fights among friends, people boycotting businesses over this issue. I guess in my view chill out vote your heart, let others vote theirs but still get along and respect each other for their views.
Krista

AOL

#2 Jan 1, 2008
The bond is not being kept quiet. Pay attention to what is happening in your community. The bond has been open for discussion for over a year now.
Koyl wrote:
A few Rambling thoughts:
Why is it the only ones acting like adults in the consolidation issue between Perry & Morrice are the students?
Why is this issue letting Neighbors to fight with Neighbors, Friends to fight with Friends, Family members fight with Family members?
Both sides are are acting irresponsible in my view, They both either put out the pros as to why consolidation is a good thing or a bad thing but not the cons at the same time. Or they put out the cons of why consolidation is a bad thing or a good thing, but not the pros at the same time.
I must admit I have been in this community only for 12 years but if this is how both communities work to solve issues then no wonder each is in financial trouble.
Personally I see the good and bad on both parts, How will I vote...That issue is still being researched. As far as Morrice asking for bonds to continue, I have no problem with voting yes on bonds when they are appropriate and not trying to pass without the public knowledge bond issues are coming up to a vote.Say you want but I do know first hand people saying to keep the bond vote quiet cause we do not want the people who would vote no on the issue to know. That in my eyes is dishonest, I maintain be outgoing on issues on the bond get the word out better and explain exactly why the bond is needed, you may be surprise people may actually vote for it and not against it cause they think the school district I trying to pull a fast one.
And yes I do agree successful people have graduated from Morrice along with Perry schools. but what is the ratio of those who are prepared for college against those who are not. I have had 2 children graduate from Morrice and know their friends, it was surprising to me to hear how they were shocked and ill prepared for the college level.
But these are a few of my own rambling thoughts, Agree or Disagree, this is America and you have a right to do that, but there is no reason for hostilities to brew over this issue. The Students of both communities are smart kids who will adapt either way. But what type of leadership are we showing them when you have the bickering and fights among friends, people boycotting businesses over this issue. I guess in my view chill out vote your heart, let others vote theirs but still get along and respect each other for their views.
Morrice

Lansing, MI

#3 Jan 2, 2008
Ah, true the bond issue is out there, but a few years ago when it was first going on it was being kept low profile, research your history.
Morrice also

United States

#4 Jan 5, 2008
Yes the bond issue was kept very quiet. In fact the first of the proposal votes I learned of the DAY OF the vote.
Louise

Oxford, MI

#5 Jan 8, 2008
Let's not make this a Hatfields vs. McCoys issue! It is in both communities best interest for these districts to merge. It is obvious that the high and mighty Perry folks don't want to lower themselves to merge with "those" people in Morrice. Yes, there will pains with the change but welcome to the real world. Most businesses are going through the same thing now. If they don't merge, we are doing a disservice to both communities and their students.
YESMORRICE

Owosso, MI

#6 Jan 9, 2008
Are you not thinking about the students. Perry isn't worried about merging with a smaller school, but afraid of loosing their community, as is Morrice. Any way you look at it consolidation would do nothing but lay-off a bunch of teachers, make everybody spend more money in taxes, ruin sporting opportunitys for both districs, and so on. CAT or CT can talk all they want about how consolidation is better for the students. But everybody knows they are just thinking with their pockets. To them its all about the money. So when you go to the polls on Jan. 15th remember what I, and my community, are telling you. VOTE NO ON CONSOLIDATION.
NO CONSOLIDATION

Troy, MI

#7 Jan 9, 2008
I guess this person does not understand the advantages of a small town and school. I do and I choose to live in Morrice and support the small school. How does one figure its better for the communities? Please explain! It will cost jobs, lost revenue for the school, yea that's good. I guess we could look at the consolidation plan and review those advantages, well I guess not, BECAUSE IT DOES NOT EXIST !! By the way, this is not like the Hatfield's and McCoy's. This is about what we as parents believe is to be what's best for our own children. All we want is to keep our small school open so our kids can enjoy the same advantages as those before them.
Louise wrote:
Let's not make this a Hatfields vs. McCoys issue! It is in both communities best interest for these districts to merge. It is obvious that the high and mighty Perry folks don't want to lower themselves to merge with "those" people in Morrice. Yes, there will pains with the change but welcome to the real world. Most businesses are going through the same thing now. If they don't merge, we are doing a disservice to both communities and their students.
Ally

Lansing, MI

#8 Jan 10, 2008
Whether this bond passes or not...I hope something good comes out of this by bringing both communities closer. There are strengths and weaknesses on both sides of this issue........its about working together and not against~
Wendy

United States

#9 Jan 10, 2008
As a Senior and Homesteader in Morrice..I need to know how this decission will effect my Taxes.On a fixed income as many in this area are. We are finding it hard to hold on to our farms and property as it is with the state that Michigan is in. We need to do what will in the LONG range help the whole area KEEP THERE HOMES?OR THERE WILL BE NO STUDENTS TO ATTEND EITHER SCHOOL>
Ally

Lansing, MI

#10 Jan 10, 2008
Wendy wrote:
As a Senior and Homesteader in Morrice..I need to know how this decission will effect my Taxes.On a fixed income as many in this area are. We are finding it hard to hold on to our farms and property as it is with the state that Michigan is in. We need to do what will in the LONG range help the whole area KEEP THERE HOMES?OR THERE WILL BE NO STUDENTS TO ATTEND EITHER SCHOOL>
There is a meeting at the Perry High School tonight at 6:30pm.....I've been advised that an Attorney will be present at this meeting. They might be able to answer some of the unanswered questions some of us still have.
samuel

East Lansing, MI

#11 Jan 11, 2008
High and mighty Perry folks don't want to lower themselves with "those" people in Morrice? I have no idea where you came to such a conclusion, but that is simply not the case.

The biggest disservice of consolidation would be to the students; in the middle of an academic year, the identity of their school will be wiped out, non-existant. High school seniors will be finished with winter sports, possibly even spring, until the new district is named, a mascot and colors chosen, and approval given by the State of Michigan.

Consolidation may very well be a good idea for the students, but the Community Action Team's complete lack of research and a laid-out plan will ruin the school year for many, many, MANY students. Had they done even a smidge of research, they would have known that once the bill is put on the ballot, the law passed is IMMEDIATE. No Perry schools, no Morrice schools, no school board, no teachers, and no classes until a school board is instituted, and every single position from the bus drivers and janitorial staff all the way up to teachers and superintendent is filled. This process could take weeks.

This is simply unacceptable.
Louise wrote:
Silent Majority

United States

#12 Jan 12, 2008
As I read the coments, I hear the same old emotional words, except one from Koyl. What are the facts. When I spoke to a person against consolidation, I asked, what are some of the pluses for consolidation, Answer: There arn't any, I can't find any. When I asked a person on the vote yes side the same question, answer: There are some negitives, but, the pros outweigh the Cons. Neither side knows the other side facts from the one they are taking. How does anyone make a intelligent decision if they don't know all the facts availble. My question is, How do I vote? because I have the ability to make up my own mine given the TRUE facts which are lacking here. True, no matter how much we think we know, there are unknows.
Most people who don't like change, it is because of the unknows. They are afraid to leave their comfort zone. If we all knew more of the truth, we would not be so afraid of change.
Ripped apart

United States

#13 Jan 13, 2008
I have been told in no uncertain terms that this will benefit the kids in the future while the current students may have to "deal with it" during the transition. Every child matters from past to current to future. We could have come together and found ways to help our schools. Instead of working together, it was placed on a ballot to and I quote, "force the communities to make it work." Forcing change in this manner does not make the decisions what are best for our students. Parents, community members and business owners who work with the schools bring about postive changes in many forms. If the slower approach was taken these two communities would not be filled with hate. People on both sides are talking of moving out of the community, boycotting businesses, yelling instead of discussing, etc...etc. If the people who started this had the childrens best interest in mind they would have approached it a little more diplomatically. I do not believe that the healing process will be in any way short whether the outcome is yes or no.
I moved here after serving six years in the military looking for a community to raise my children in. I found a great little community where everyone knows each other and genuinely care for one another. I have now watched a small group tear it apart and leave me asking whether or not I want to raise my children here. What gave them that right?(Yes, they have the legal right, but morally?????)
Ally wrote:
Whether this bond passes or not...I hope something good comes out of this by bringing both communities closer. There are strengths and weaknesses on both sides of this issue........its about working together and not against~
samuel

Lansing, MI

#14 Jan 15, 2008
Silent Majority wrote:
As I read the coments, I hear the same old emotional words, except one from Koyl. What are the facts.
FACT: SB 730 was passed in order to push back the effects of consolidation until July 1 if the vote is passed. Eleventh hour legislation to prevent the debacle that would-have-been (no school, appointing of new school board, rehiring of teachers, etc), shows how poorly planned this is.
Jen

Lyndeborough, NH

#15 Jan 16, 2008
Well, looks like school of choice for us when it's time for the little one to start up school. After all, both Perry and Morrice buses pass our house each morning. We are about 500 feet from the line, technically in Morrice schools.

I went to a small school with very few activities and options for higher level learning. I did well in college, only because I had to fight tooth and nail to take the AP exams, do dual enrollment, and prepare myself for college. I'd like our child to have a good chance at a well rounded education. I don't want her to end up stuck her junior year with no more options for advanced courses, like I was. I can't see how Morrice will achieve that - they are smaller than the school I went to - my school played them in sports (back when Morrice HAD sports teams).

Thank God for school of choice.
KOYL

Lansing, MI

#16 Jan 16, 2008
Time to Heal

My fellow neighbors and friends, now that the consolidation debate and vote is over. Let me ask you all to act like adults neither side bragging or still complaining for the consolidation. It is a time for healing of these two communities, it is a time of healing of hard feelings towards neighbors and friends that had a different view than you. It is time that the two communities work together to strive to make each and each other a great example how people may disagree but can come together and work for what is best for the children and their communities. Under our Republic we have the right to bring forth new ideas to be voted on by the majority. So do not hold grudges against those who came forth with new ideas. Under our Republic we have the right to verbally oppose new ideas and vote them down if we feel it is not in the best interest, so do not hold grudges against those who oppose. Now is the time to rise and shine and show what can be done when you work together.
For the People 101

Laingsburg, MI

#17 Jan 16, 2008
Why is everyone arguing any way this bill was meant to help the people and community's not destroy us. These are the times when we must use are heads and think whats best for the community not being stubborn and arguing just to hear ourselves talk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morrice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirty Cops in Lansing (Sep '06) 21 hr operation gladio 103
Nathan Secord Aug '17 1234abcd 1
Perry Michigan Bullies Yet to be Held Accountable (Sep '16) Sep '16 PapaRon1347 1
testr2 (Aug '16) Aug '16 A-Train 1
test (Aug '16) Aug '16 A-Train 1
Peanut butter is good for you (Aug '16) Aug '16 A-Train 1
God's got this! (Aug '16) Aug '16 A-Train 1

Morrice Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morrice Mortgages