Cops seek witnesses in William Floyd High shooting

Full story: Newsday 60
Suffolk police yesterday were reviewing video and interviewing witnesses who had been at the "chaotic" scene at William Floyd High School in Mastic Beach where a 14-year-old boy was shot in the leg after a ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
cracker

Piscataway, NJ

#1 Dec 14, 2008
"Police said the suspect is a male, about 5 foot 7 inches tall with a stocky build."
Too bad there are no witnesses that could at least indentify the perp's race. If W-F, probably Irishtalopian.
cracker

Piscataway, NJ

#2 Dec 14, 2008
Sounds like there should be no more basketball.
hans gruber

Bronx, NY

#4 Dec 14, 2008
Maybe the police should start searching all section 8 housing in the area.
bobby

Bronx, NY

#5 Dec 14, 2008
see whay happen/s when you take some body/s welfare check.
Curious

South Salem, NY

#6 Dec 14, 2008
This Mastic area is intriguing. I'll never have a reason to set foot in there. Could somebody tell me what is wrong with this place. Is it just a big white slum with a lot of sex offenders? Is this just a big, caucasian slum? Is it like a bigger version of Levittown?
MOS

Patchogue, NY

#7 Dec 14, 2008
It's amazing a school shooting in NYC would be font page/top story news. Why did it get buried in a one paragraph piece? I used to work security for that school and the liberal administration is ineffective.It is true there is a very high percentageare of freaks out there.I am surprised there are not weekly school shootings out there. More stress working there than at my real job in NYC. SCPD does a very good job at down playing what goes on in the high crime areas in Suffollk county.
J Travolta

Englewood, CO

#8 Dec 14, 2008
cracker wrote:
"Police said the suspect is a male, about 5 foot 7 inches tall with a stocky build."
Too bad there are no witnesses that could at least indentify the perp's race. If W-F, probably Irishtalopian.
Why do you always has to be puttin' race into it?
R DeNiro

Englewood, CO

#9 Dec 14, 2008
cracker wrote:
"Police said the suspect is a male, about 5 foot 7 inches tall with a stocky build."
Too bad there are no witnesses that could at least indentify the perp's race. If W-F, probably Irishtalopian.
You should know that there are many good citizen Irishtalopians out there: its just that all the bad ones ended up in Shirley/Mastic/Floyd Harbor.
just a thought

West Babylon, NY

#10 Dec 14, 2008
Each time I pick up the paper it seems crime in Suffolk is out of control. Bank Robberies, Home Invasions, Shootings. Our County Executive, Steve Levy, keeps saying how safe it is to live and work in Suffolk. This fool should learn to shut his mouth and start doing something before it gets any worse! Crime is on the rise Steve Levy. Stop fudging your statistics and pick up a paper. You can "read all about it." Not many believe your lise any more. Levy really hasn't done anything to improve public safety since he's been the County Executive. We should have more Deputies on the Highway, more C. O.'s in the jails, bigger jails, and more Police. When crime is on the rise you need more not less! Levy needs to get his head out of the sand and do smoething positive. Maybe he should take some of his stupid anti union commercials off the air and use that money to pay two or three salaries. There is a money savin idea.
Helena

Yorktown Heights, NY

#11 Dec 14, 2008
Not the entire town is all this "slum" as you may say. I've heard This is the cheapest place on long island, so all the "slum" moves here. I go to the high school, i fortunatley was not at the basketball game to see or hear anything about this. According to news 12 this is all gang related. Despite all the violence, sex offenders, and what ever else anyone has to say about this town, there are good people here. There's violence like this no matter where you are in the country. Just because you don't hear about any violence in your town doesn't mean that there isn't any.
William Wallace

Port Washington, NY

#12 Dec 14, 2008
The kid mentioned in this article is just that—a kid and he was seriously injured. I’m glad he’s stable and I hope they catch the culprit.

That being said, let’s address town-bashing. Mastic bashers get overly excited and start to foam at the mouth whenever Newsday reports a fart over there. Granted this latest gun-shooting incident is newsworthy, but guess what folks? It happens Island-wide, not just in Mastic or Shirley.

Every little god/damned gust of wind in this area gets exhaustively reported on by Newsday. Add to the mix what I call the ‘grunt and scratchers’ commenting inanely, and a shameful precedent has been set that is difficult to undo. It’s really too bad considering that there are some decent, hardworking residents in all areas of Long Island and profiling based on a zip code is just cringe-worthy to say the least; really stupid and senseless.

Town bashing is nothing new to these esteemed forums.“Say what we say, because…hey we’re cool”. So ridiculous! It’s become rote, boring and startlingly acceptable. It is this type of cretinous behavior that leads to fear, hate and preconceived notions that have little to do with actual individuals.

To paint one town with one brush is shockingly obtuse and puts you in the company of fools. It also gives all readers the creepy,“been-there-done-that kind of feeling”—meaning it’s so 'high school bully'. Why the hell would anyone want to don that puerile persona again? Or worse yet—why would you want to portray yourself as a knuckle-dragger who continues to town-bash because you haven’t anything more substantive to post?

Try this: be a stand-up person who doesn’t mouth whatever the next guy is saying or in this case, post in different words, the same horsesh/i/t.

It’s not impossible to wade through the quagmire of really stunted posts and think for oneself.
William Wallace

Port Washington, NY

#13 Dec 14, 2008
Helena wrote:
Not the entire town is all this "slum" as you may say. I've heard This is the cheapest place on long island, so all the "slum" moves here. I go to the high school, i fortunatley was not at the basketball game to see or hear anything about this. According to news 12 this is all gang related. Despite all the violence, sex offenders, and what ever else anyone has to say about this town, there are good people here. There's violence like this no matter where you are in the country. Just because you don't hear about any violence in your town doesn't mean that there isn't any.
Well said Helena!
whoa

Bridgeport, CT

#15 Dec 14, 2008
i live in mastic/shirley, the town aint all that bad, there is crime in every town not just mastic, and alot of the people commiting the crimes are transplanted from other towns, we also have the most sex offenders in the world which is awesome everyones town should be like that, those people should be castrated, or sent to an island called pedif isle, but thats neither here nor there, some kid took his daddys gun trying to be cool got into a fight like a cool person and shot someone like a cool person, he wont be that cool when hes in jail, and to get rid of all this scum just stop handing out welfare checks, theyll go to some other town and beg and scratch there
SBC

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Dec 14, 2008
Curious wrote:
This Mastic area is intriguing. I'll never have a reason to set foot in there. Could somebody tell me what is wrong with this place. Is it just a big white slum with a lot of sex offenders? Is this just a big, caucasian slum? Is it like a bigger version of Levittown?
I love how someone from Hicksville...which has it's own issues...is judging a town he has never stepped foot in. And on top if that, insulting Levittown. The ignorance of people just amazes me.
No common sense

Far Rockaway, NY

#17 Dec 14, 2008
whoa wrote:
i live in mastic/shirley, the town aint all that bad, there is crime in every town not just mastic, and alot of the people commiting the crimes are transplanted from other towns, we also have the most sex offenders in the world which is awesome everyones town should be like that, those people should be castrated, or sent to an island called pedif isle, but thats neither here nor there, some kid took his daddys gun trying to be cool got into a fight like a cool person and shot someone like a cool person, he wont be that cool when hes in jail, and to get rid of all this scum just stop handing out welfare checks, theyll go to some other town and beg and scratch there
Don't kid yourself when the shooter is caught, I predict he will already have a criminal record and prior "youthful offender" adjudications. He will get what out of this? Pretty much nothing. He'll get another YO slap on the wrist and be available to shoot, rob, rape again. The revolving door criminal justice system is a JOKE facilitated by delusional judges who have never stepped out of their ivory towers and gotten a whiff first hand of the stench of the ghettos that the criminals come from. Force the Judges to do a few mandatory ride alongs a year in the ghetto so they can get a dose of reality.
Curious

South Salem, NY

#18 Dec 14, 2008
SBC wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how someone from Hicksville...which has it's own issues...is judging a town he has never stepped foot in. And on top if that, insulting Levittown. The ignorance of people just amazes me.
Ignorance is not knowing what an ip address is.

Honestly, I'm not judging Mastic, just asking about it because I havent set foot in it. It truly seems like it has problems, but at the same time, its' residents really care about it and defend it. Why can't it be turned around?
Silas Barnaby

Bronx, NY

#19 Dec 14, 2008
"Police said the suspect is a male, about 5 foot 7 inches tall with a stocky build."

Hey that really narrows it down for us! What exactly is the point of that description?

Does the SCPD intentionally not report the race of the suspect or does Newsday omit it?

“Small gov't.Low taxes, Freedom”

Since: Mar 07

Ronkonkoma

#20 Dec 14, 2008
Curious wrote:
This Mastic area is intriguing. I'll never have a reason to set foot in there. Could somebody tell me what is wrong with this place. Is it just a big white slum with a lot of sex offenders? Is this just a big, caucasian slum? Is it like a bigger version of Levittown?
Actually the Mastic/ Shirley area has a reason for being a magnet to freaks/weirdos/mental patients.

It was the "dumping ground" if you will, of King's Park and Pilgrim State in the 1980's.

When those two hospitals were mandated to start discharging patients into the regular population, Mastic and Shirley were putting up a lot of "cheap" housing, so through Social Services and the Dept. Of Mental Hygiene many of them ended up in those areas. The relatively inexpensive homes also attracted the lowere middle class and lower class working poor from the city looking for their "American Dream"

All of this led to the, oh so lovely, demographics of Suffolk's favorite towns to hate.

You asked.....
No common sense

Far Rockaway, NY

#21 Dec 15, 2008
Lost Rights James Bovard wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the Mastic/ Shirley area has a reason for being a magnet to freaks/weirdos/mental patients.
It was the "dumping ground" if you will, of King's Park and Pilgrim State in the 1980's.
When those two hospitals were mandated to start discharging patients into the regular population, Mastic and Shirley were putting up a lot of "cheap" housing, so through Social Services and the Dept. Of Mental Hygiene many of them ended up in those areas. The relatively inexpensive homes also attracted the lowere middle class and lower class working poor from the city looking for their "American Dream"
All of this led to the, oh so lovely, demographics of Suffolk's favorite towns to hate.
You asked.....
Don't forget about the ever popular Section 8 rentals of formerly summer bungalos that couldn't be sold because they were sub standard and couldn't get certificate of occupancies, or home owners insurance for that matter.
Vince

Bayport, NY

#22 Dec 15, 2008
I too used to hold the ignorant view of the area. Having moved to the area in the late 1990's I was surprised at the people who live and OWN in the area. I have never met a friendlier or harder working group of people. Many have gone on to have good paying jobs and own businesses, but choose to stay here because they like the area. Many are third generation residents, who could choose to live somewhere else but don't. The problem with the area is caused by state and local government. Rather than taking Section 8, Sex Offenders, and recovering addicts and dispersing them equally around the county, they overburden this area. This creates a catch 22. It causes the home values to stay depressed, which in turn causes the slum lord's to buy up property only to be paid by DSS to house more of these people. Believe me, if any other South Shore area was subjected to the government forced influx of temporary residents, the outcome would be the same.
In short, it is not the RESIDENTS of Mastic-Shirley, that harm the area, it is the TEMPORARY RESIDENTS forced on us by the government. But until the taxpayers of the area unite against these infair practices, nothing will change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moriches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stop the lies about Manorville (Apr '11) 16 hr Sunshineretrednow 6
What is Your Opinion of the Rev. Al Sharpton 17 hr king bruce 3
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) Wed Lou 334
Poospatuck Unketchaug Reservation Close Smoke S... (May '11) Dec 16 pbear 17
MBPOA Law suit Dec 16 Question 80
Vodka Vic to hold fund raiser Dec 15 king bruce 2
Gargilia Dec 14 hoodo 1

Moriches News Video

Moriches Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Moriches People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Moriches News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Moriches

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:48 pm PST

ESPN 2:48PM
Jets' Richardson: I'm on same level as Watt
NFL 4:23 PM
Vick: Playing on Redskins would be 'dream come true'
Bleacher Report 4:54 PM
Previewing Giants vs. Rams
NFL 5:13 PM
Jets' Richardson: I'm on the same level as J.J. Watt
Bleacher Report 7:38 PM
What to Expect from Geno Smith, New York Jets Offense in Week 16