Yaphank shooting range dispute may go to state

There are 20 comments on the May 18, 2008, Newsday story titled Yaphank shooting range dispute may go to state. In it, Newsday reports that:

Brookhaven Supervisor Brian X. Foley has agreed to ask the state Pine Barrens Commission for a ruling on whether Suffolk Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays constitutes development in an environmentally sensitive ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Laz

Brooklyn, NY

#2 May 18, 2008
Don't close the range!! It's been there since the 60s, apparently that means it's been there longer than most of these houses...what kind of morons buy homes next to a shooting range and then complain about the noise? Duhhh...maybe you shouldn't have moved there then. Where are we supposed to enjoy our hobby? We can't shoot off guns in our backyards or in any random patch of woods. Leave us our shooting ranges, don't close it down and build more mini mansions...if that happens I swear I will puke.
Dick Head

Central Islip, NY

#3 May 18, 2008
Dick Amper is a blowhard who has made a business out if being a talking head and shouting people down.
Connie Kepert is the worst councilperson on Long Island. She makes Brian Foley look like a genius.
Jim

Brooklyn, NY

#4 May 18, 2008
The shooting range was there first. These people complaining about the noise are probably related to the nitwits who buy houses near airports and then are shocked about the noise from planes.
Civic groups suck

Central Islip, NY

#5 May 18, 2008
they are busy bodies who don't necessarily represent the majority of people. Fakes masquerading asenvironmentalists are worse.
MCR

Springfield Gardens, NY

#6 May 18, 2008
I met Dick Amper nearly 20 years ago - he was a self-involved blowhard then - and he is much worse now.

We are expected to believe in lead leaching into the water supply and killing us all?

Dick Amper's number 1 reason to be alive, is to make sure no one else can live anywhere near him in the Pine Barrens. I've been to his beautiful, scenic home.

Fish Billy
Henry

Stratford, CT

#7 May 18, 2008
I live nearly 2 miles east of the range & am annoyed by the noise of the shotguns on weekend mornings. Coupled with the lead being a danger to both ground water & wildlife, I believe it's time to move the skeet shooting range to another location. It's not appropriate for our park & community.
Jim

AOL

#8 May 18, 2008
The range stood alone in the middle of nothing for many years. Then a little at a time, houses were built next to and around the range. The range was open and very active when a vast majority of these folks bought their houses and moved into them. Now the home owners want to shut down something that has been enjoyed by many for a lot of years because they've realized guns make noise.
Get over it! You moved next to a range-the range wasn't built next to you! Who cares what you think? Move if you're that unhappy!
By the way: The range is not causing your house to lose value-the houses were sold below market value initially because they were built NEXT to a shooting range! I don't suppose you have any recollection of that!!!
Bang Bang Bang
Dennis
#9 May 18, 2008
Henry wrote:
I live nearly 2 miles east of the range & am annoyed by the noise of the shotguns on weekend mornings. Coupled with the lead being a danger to both ground water & wildlife, I believe it's time to move the skeet shooting range to another location. It's not appropriate for our park & community.
I live near the water I hear shot guns go off during at Thanksgiving time so guys can enjoy a fresh duck music to my ears in the summer I hear racers geting ready for off shore racing before they head off on there travels I hear boats go out for the morning catch music to my ears I also live next to a train track not to far awayI love the sound off the whistel.I new what I was moving next to.If you have lived there long now you complaine about it if you have not get off the band wagon or get on it and move do't be like the people that moved next to Mcarther then complaine about the nose.Go get a gun and enjoy what the Island has for you and don't listen to some enviro pirate out to save the world with his gas guzzeler car
RedneckInNY

Tuxedo Park, NY

#10 May 18, 2008
It was an established fact, 2 years ago, that those protestors knowingly bought houses in that area at a reduced cost because the range was there. Now, they want to shut it down because it no longer serves their purposes. What's more, the lead poisoning threat is nothing but junk science, since Mark has agreed to clean up the lead every year or so and it would take over 300 years for the lead to actually leach into the aquifer. These people's underground septic systems dump more crap (literally) into the aquifer than the lead sitting above ground. They just don't like guns and they don't want anyone else to enjoy them either. That's their real agenda. Henceforth, let it be known that we're on to their scheme.
RedneckInNY

Tuxedo Park, NY

#11 May 18, 2008
Hmm...Now I remember why I don't read Newsday anymore. They don't believe in the FIRST AMENDMENT either. They censored out a word I used to describe the sewage and it started with 'C,' 'R' and ended with 'P'. Freaking commies.
Dino

Columbus, GA

#12 May 18, 2008
Best years of my life spent at that range.You can have newyork ,Now i go in my back yard and shoot with my kids like i did with my dad back in the day on Long Island...They must want the land to build more condos or maybe more stores that noone will move into...
Keep it open

Westbury, NY

#13 May 18, 2008
Mark Wrooble ROCKS!!!
abc

Staten Island, NY

#16 May 18, 2008
its only a matter of time before Nassau collsieum get torn down
Cameron Diligence

Edison, NJ

#17 May 19, 2008
One real question to ask is: Why did the likes of county officals such as Ginny Fields, Brian Foley, Ben Zwirn, Michael Deering, Cameron Alden, Steve Levy and others fight so hard to reopen this gun range when in their own county records it states: the range was closed due to excessively high noise levels and that the lead is classified as hazardous waste is a danger to the groundwater? The commission would be merely doing what they are charted to do by voting in favor of the motion. As a side note, isn't it interesting that most of the people commenting in favor of this dangerously unhealthy gun range that loses approximately $20,000/year after taking in rent are, not from Suffolk County, but from Nassau County. Do all good things come from Nassau County I wonder?
Bob - Yaphank

Edison, NJ

#18 May 19, 2008
Keep it open wrote:
S.T.F.U. already.
Next time don't buy a house next to a skeet range douchebags.
You speak so well and put things in perpsective for me. Let us pretend that I am what you call a douchebag, and am classified as being stupid for doing so. The obvious observation is that statistically there cannot be 200 plus new home owners who invested their life savings buiding new homes here while the range was closed being as studid as I was. With this said, it should tell everyone that the process to reopen this range was done in way to trick everyone and do whatever it takes to get it open and most likely satisfy a debt that Steve Levy, Ginny Fields and others owe to your network voting for them or paying them off in campaign contributions. I understand that Steve Levy received close to $40,000 from one indivdual right around the time they started the process to reopen and he was running for Executive. I'm pretty sure it came from one of his current top employees and a former elected official himself.

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#19 May 19, 2008
Henry wrote:
WHY DON'T YOU MOVE INSTEAD OF MOVING THE RANGE???.....IT WAS THERE BEFORE YOU!!!
Deal or no deal

Edison, NJ

#20 May 19, 2008
Back in 2006 when the neighbors were attending the commission meetings and speaking out before it reopened, there were two meetings in row that should concern anyone. In June of 2006, we were there, and so were a lot of the supporters of the range. Debate ensued. The issue WAS NOT on the agenda. In July of 2006, the range issue WAS printed on their agenda to discuss jurisdiction, we were there, NO ONE was there from the range supporters, nor was the vendor or any representative for such. No motion was publicly made either way by our town reps John Turner or Brian Foley regarding jurisdiction of the range.<BR><BR>In general, one would think that if anyones business fate could be decided by any one commission, or board, on any one particular day, that person, or a representative, surely would be present to protect their business interests. In our opinion, we find the sequence of events in 2006 very odd. Fast forwarding to 2008, what is even more interesting is that 2 months ago when Connie Kepert went to ask the town rep, John Turner, to make a motion at the commission, he walked out during her presentation. We find mother natures timing most interesting and do not believe in coincidence.
Connect The Dots

Edison, NJ

#23 May 19, 2008
The range’s vendor, Mark Wroobel, owns a gun store in Nassau. What I found intriguing is that his father-in-law, Bill Marshall, was the former budget director for then Nassau Supervisor Tom Gullota and also served as the Deputy Receiver of Taxes for former North Hempstead Supervisor Ben Zwirn. Ben Zwirn is now the Assistant Deputy County Executive to Mr. Levy. Wroobel, contributed to campaigns of former Suffolk Legislator and now State Assemblywoman Ginny Fields who was instrumental in passing, (some might say ‘railroading’) legislation exempting the range from county noise laws, making it easier to re-open the range. In fact, when the range re-opened, Mr. Wroobel hosted a political fundraiser at the range given by “Friends of Ginny Fields” complete with alcohol being served while shotguns blasted away only 100’ from a South Country District school bus stop. Now here’s where it gets interesting. In 2005, Steve Levy met with civic leaders and told them the county would not spend any money on the gun range unless an agreement was in place with the town of Brookhaven regarding their noise laws protecting residential areas. John LaValle, the Town Supervisor at the time, issued a letter to Levy saying no deal. Oddly enough, then Parks Commissioner Foley stated on record that the town said issued a letter saying they would grant an exemption. It seems a little odd here considering we have the public document from John LaValle in hand saying no way. Also intriguing is that the range re-opened in 2006 after the Pine Barrens Commission did not take jurisdiction of its own lead polluted land where the range operates. Jurisdictional action by the commission would have prevented its re-opening. Interestingly enough, Brian Foley was won his position as town supervisor and Steve Levy and him are sitting members of this commission.
ligirl

Bay Shore, NY

#24 May 19, 2008
this shooting range sux, its next to a park, so when your at the park trying to relax, all you hear is the sound of rifles firing, how unsettling. You want to fire guns? go to an indoor range. I truly hope this place gets shut down!
Cameron Diligence

Edison, NJ

#25 May 19, 2008
Stop your crying wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you move there? The range was there long before you.
Actually you are incorrect. There were three homes there long before the range and they were paid a yearly fee not to sue the range when it was opened back then proving it has always been a nuisance. I really wish everyone would do their due diligence before sounding off so the facts are published properly and not the simple rhetoric we always see from supporters. Thank you for your time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moriches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mastic Beach Village employee claims in police ... 28 min hodoo 13
dion hampton is a hack 40 min hodoo 27
cam slave wanted (Apr '14) 7 hr Badtothebone 30
Anderson is a Real Johnson Fri hodoo 19
Indemnification Apr 21 Really Brady 84
maura kiss my a $$ Apr 19 villager 1
Survey Apr 19 michelle w 16
More from around the web

Moriches People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE