Mastic student sex attacks raise conc...

Mastic student sex attacks raise concerns anew

There are 29 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 16, 2008, titled Mastic student sex attacks raise concerns anew. In it, Newsday reports that:

Long-standing concerns about the number of sex offenders in the Mastic area surfaced anew among parents, civic leaders and school officials yesterday, one day after a William Floyd High School student was ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Badtothebone

Rockville, MD

#1 Jan 16, 2008
Mastic Beach is a dumping ground and I blame the real estate agencies who send all the welfare cases there.
An Ex Patchogian

Hawley, PA

#2 Jan 16, 2008
Newsday please stop butchering the English language "raise concern anew" My thirteen year old has better diction.
People take a look at the mudflaps of town trucks, "Give Em a Brake" I don't understand why proper English cannot be written or spoken.
A comment about the story, atypical for that area. What happens if the locals find the perp and administer the justice that is deserved? They will be told don't take the law into your own hands. Oh boy(sigh).
GET THE WORD OUT

Sarasota, FL

#3 Jan 17, 2008
Details are: from what I seen on a post.

Saturday Jan 19, 2008 10am-12pm
Corner of Mastic Rd and Mastic Beach Rd.
PTO, Civic associations, Fire Depts, and people who care will be there
PLEASE show up and take action!!!
FIGHT FOR OUR CHILDREN, FAMILIES & TOWN!
GET UR TOWN BACK!
DON'T LET THESE PIGS DO THIS TO OUR CHILDREN!
Gallowsman

Orono, ME

#4 Jan 17, 2008
Is it me or just the weather?

Am I the only one who has noticed that the one individual arrested so far was NOT a Registered Former Offender.

So why is everyone blaming them for this guy's crime and wants them run out of town when they are the LEAST likely to harm a child per the Dept. of Justice's own figures. Just got to love that fear, ignorance, and hysteria and how it blinds individuals to the facts and truth. 9 out of 10 sex crimes will be committed by someone NOT on the Sex Offender Registry, and 8 of those will be by someone close to victims such as a family member, relative, friend, teacher, etc..

It is a wonder you all are not for banning guns as over 3,000 children die from gun related incidences each year, nearly 10 kids a day killed and you don't have a problem with that so what is you problem with this?

Or how about children who are killed almost daily by their parents such as Thomas Reilly who killed his two daughters and then himself. Or Gilberta Estrada who hanged her children in a closet and then herself seems much more heinous. Or Ambrosio Analco who kill his three children and wife rates right up there. Or how about John Lafleche who bludgeoned his two young children to death with an aluminum baseball bat. And Michael Veillette who stabbed his wife and then burned the house down with their four children inside. etc., etc., etc.

Too bad "John Q. Public" does see these deaths as a problem, much less as heinous enough to warrant their attention to be dealt with. No votes in these children left for Politicians to squeeze out for a next term in office.

"Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play."
~Joseph Goebbels

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown Heights, NY

#5 Jan 17, 2008
Gallowsman wrote:
Am I the only one who has noticed that the one individual arrested so far was NOT a Registered Former Offender.
So why is everyone blaming them for this guy's crime and wants them run out of town when they are the LEAST likely to harm a child per the Dept. of Justice's own figures. Just got to love that fear, ignorance, and hysteria and how it blinds individuals to the facts and truth. 9 out of 10 sex crimes will be committed by someone NOT on the Sex Offender Registry, and 8 of those will be by someone close to victims such as a family member, relative, friend, teacher, etc..
It is a wonder you all are not for banning guns as over 3,000 children die from gun related incidences each year, nearly 10 kids a day killed and you don't have a problem with that so what is you problem with this?
Or how about children who are killed almost daily by their parents such as Thomas Reilly who killed his two daughters and then himself. Or Gilberta Estrada who hanged her children in a closet and then herself seems much more heinous. Or Ambrosio Analco who kill his three children and wife rates right up there. Or how about John Lafleche who bludgeoned his two young children to death with an aluminum baseball bat. And Michael Veillette who stabbed his wife and then burned the house down with their four children inside. etc., etc., etc.
Too bad "John Q. Public" does see these deaths as a problem, much less as heinous enough to warrant their attention to be dealt with. No votes in these children left for Politicians to squeeze out for a next term in office.
~Joseph Goebbels
I would have to say either you work for the ACLU or are a sex offender. Do you have any interesting data on how many sex offenders there are that haven't been caught.Sounds like maybe you should start renting them rooms. birds of a feather tend to flock together!

LBF

Selden, NY

#6 Jan 17, 2008
Where are was these kids parents. The problem is not enough parents walk there kids to the bus stop or pick them up at the bus stop after school.
shirley resident

Medford, NY

#7 Jan 17, 2008
YESTERDAY FROM EARLY MORNING TO LATE EVENING I WATCHED POLICE, CRIME SCENE, AND DETECTIVES, ARREST AND DO AN INVESTIGATION OF AN EMPLOYEE OF THE WILLIAM FLOYD SCHOOL DISTRICT. THE FELONY CHARGES HE WAS ARESESTED ON ONE OF WHICH INCLUDED RAPE

Rocky Point, Ny

#8 Jan 17, 2008
The point is that kids shouldn't have to worry about such horrible things happening as they walk home from school. The first two victims were in high school and were at an age that most parents would consider old enough to walk home alone from school.

Yorktown Heights, NY

#9 Jan 17, 2008
RockyPointResident wrote:
The point is that kids shouldn't have to worry about such horrible things happening as they walk home from school. The first two victims were in high school and were at an age that most parents would consider old enough to walk home alone from school.
don't forget though this is the shirley mastics and the priorities are all messed up,the last budget vote they wanted to get money for an astro turf field,I have not seen any money allocated for or even asked for increased security in our district,remember they say are kids are the most important thing and I bet that astro turf would have kept them real safe

Rocky Point, Ny

#10 Jan 17, 2008
You're definitely correct in school districts having wrong priorities when it comes to spending. However, i think it's horrible that anyone should feel unsafe walking around their own community. This isn't the projects or a high-crime inner city neighborhood, it's eastern Long Island. Many people probably moved to this area from city expecting a safer and more pleasant quality of life. The point is that the area will never be Old Field or Belle Terre, but it could definitely be cleaned up of litter and degenerates and be more like Rocky Point/Sound Beach.

LBF

Selden, NY

#11 Jan 17, 2008
You're definitely correct in school districts having wrong priorities when it comes to spending. However, i think it's horrible that anyone should feel unsafe walking around their own community. This isn't the projects or a high-crime inner city neighborhood, it's eastern Long Island. Many people probably moved to this area from city expecting a safer and more pleasant quality of life. The point is that the area will never be Old Field or Belle Terre, but it could definitely be cleaned up of litter and degenerates and be more like Rocky Point/Sound Beach.
Ok Rocky Point...Have you ever been in the area when school let's our there. the kids walk form school to the shoppong center to get there parked cars or just hang around. What is so great about that. I quess you live in a glass house!! Go take a look at the filth that walks those streets.

Rocky Point, Ny

#12 Jan 17, 2008
LBF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok Rocky Point...Have you ever been in the area when school let's our there. the kids walk form school to the shoppong center to get there parked cars or just hang around. What is so great about that. I quess you live in a glass house!! Go take a look at the filth that walks those streets.
Yes I have as a matter of fact. I was one of those kids as I just graduated last year from Rocky Point High School. As for the comment of filth, yes every school has some undesirables, but as a graduate I can attest that the majority of students in that school are decent kids and there rarely is any problems with them walking to the Kohl's shopping center. Have you witnessed any problems with these students walking to the parking lot? I doubt it. There is a 45 minute period between the end of 8th period and the start of after school activities. Most of these kids are involved in sports and clubs, they are not hanging around past this period of time. As a resident and student, I have never felt unsafe walking around my community.

Rocky Point, Ny

#13 Jan 17, 2008
LBF wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and by the way Holtsville, my cousin tells me of the many problems at Sachem East High School and about how she is embarassed that the cops are at the school so often. Sorry, but I don't recall that happening at my high school, but I guess I live in a glass house. I wasn't planning on acting immature on this forum but I had to put this out there.

LBF

Selden, NY

#14 Jan 17, 2008
<quoted text>
Yes I have as a matter of fact. I was one of those kids as I just graduated last year from Rocky Point High School. As for the comment of filth, yes every school has some undesirables, but as a graduate I can attest that the majority of students in that school are decent kids and there rarely is any problems with them walking to the Kohl's shopping center. Have you witnessed any problems with these students walking to the parking lot? I doubt it. There is a 45 minute period between the end of 8th period and the start of after school activities. Most of these kids are involved in sports and clubs, they are not hanging around past this period of time. As a resident and student, I have never felt unsafe walking around my community.
You are young...open your eyes wide no one is safe any where they live. I don't care what town or state you live in. As a parent I see things I wish I didn't and it all starts at home we must have time for your children and talk to them about everything. You are a child! Don't speak until you are a parent of a high scholl student.

Rocky Point, Ny

#15 Jan 17, 2008
LBF wrote:
<quoted text>
You are young...open your eyes wide no one is safe any where they live. I don't care what town or state you live in. As a parent I see things I wish I didn't and it all starts at home we must have time for your children and talk to them about everything. You are a child! Don't speak until you are a parent of a high scholl student.
I may be young, but I'm more aware of things than other 19 year olds I know. You are correct that bad things happen everywhere. However as a civic activist, and coming from a family of civic activists I know that many problems can be solved by changing the image of a community and enforcing housing laws.
wrong island

Coram, NY

#16 Jan 17, 2008
LBF wrote:
<quoted text>
wow! you're closed minded. you should resepct that someone that age has a good head on his/her shoulders. the solution is to be active in your community and take pride in where you are from. it is all our responsibility to provide a safe place for children and families to live. if you cannot provide that you should not have had children. set a good example, anyone can make a difference.
wrong island

Coram, NY

#17 Jan 17, 2008
snoopy1967 wrote:
<quoted text>don't forget though this is the shirley mastics and the priorities are all messed up,the last budget vote they wanted to get money for an astro turf field,I have not seen any money allocated for or even asked for increased security in our district,remember they say are kids are the most important thing and I bet that astro turf would have kept them real safe
the only threat to these schools are the kids themselves. ever try to get in these schools these days. it is not the way it used to be. it's tight. mind you, this stuff didn't happen within the school. school security has nothing to do with this. tell them to bring back the attendance policy!
wrong island

Coram, NY

#18 Jan 17, 2008
Gallowsman wrote:
~Joseph Goebbels
you may want to ease up on the nazi propaganda buddy. hitler, goebbels; smart, dead. and why would we look to the sex offenders? maybe because they have poor moral character and were stupid enough to do it the first time.

Yorktown Heights, NY

#19 Jan 18, 2008
wrong island wrote:
<quoted text>
the only threat to these schools are the kids themselves. ever try to get in these schools these days. it is not the way it used to be. it's tight. mind you, this stuff didn't happen within the school. school security has nothing to do with this. tell them to bring back the attendance policy!
what policy is that?
LI Resident

United States

#20 Jan 18, 2008
I am sending the following e-mail and urge you to do the same if you want to see change in this community. For those of you who don't care and simply want to bash our residents, please don't bother reading any further.

Dear Ms. Browning:

As a concerned parent in the William Floyd School District I am compelled to send this e-mail to you in an effort to urge you to take severe actions against the recent attacks against our children and the pitiful state our district has become. I am not a political person, but after these most recent acts against our community I must tell you that your lack of any form of representation is absolutely shameful and appalling. It amazes me that this community is such a dumping ground for sex offenders and other criminal elements and yet our elected officials are nowhere to be found except that is for election time when your signs litter our streets and your representatives knock on our door telling us what a wonderful person you are. WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU DOING TO BETTER OUR COMMUNITY???? I post this as a very concerned parent who time and again has witnessed the taxpaying citizens and children of this District be ignored by our political representation and have become embarrassed to call this town our home. How sad it is that you post on your website that you are a strong voice in the Legislature for working families as I fight to protect our children, defend our seniors, and ensure that our community is a safe, affordable, and peaceful place to live. AGAIN, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE SINCE BEING ELECTED IN 2005 TO BETTER THIS SITUATION???

I urge you to take a look at the Newsday forums concerning these incidents which have occurred in the past 10 days. I along with so many other citizens who are fed up with your lack of action, feel it is your duty as a civil representative of this community to attend the following town meeting:

Saturday Jan 19, 2008 10am-12pm
Corner of Mastic Rd and Mastic Beach Rd.
PTO, Civic associations, Fire Depts, and people who care will be there
Please show up and take action!!!

If you continue to ignore this situation, I assure you that I and many others will most definitely ensure that you are no longer in office come re-election day. You are truly not a fair representative of the good people of this community who care enough to take action

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moriches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why brucie doesn't pay taxes 42 min My comments 25
Thank god for trump 15 hr Chad Lackey 5
bamboo invasion in masticbeach 23 hr georga boy 2
Guardian Angels Thu 11951 Rat Dog 14
Crimes in Mastic Beach Thu Liar 19
Marina 1 For Sale Thu Liar 22
hey Thu Really Brady 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moriches Mortgages