OPINION/COLUMN: Lower WV Child Abuse,...

OPINION/COLUMN: Lower WV Child Abuse, Illegal Drug Use, and Use Fines for Pot Holes

There are 10 comments on the Huntington News story from Dec 27, 2012, titled OPINION/COLUMN: Lower WV Child Abuse, Illegal Drug Use, and Use Fines for Pot Holes. In it, Huntington News reports that:

A report out of Morgantown, WV has finally stated that West Virginians must curb drugs to stop child abuse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Huntington News.

“Often copied, never duplicated”

Since: Nov 11

BelAir, CA

#1 Dec 27, 2012
That article is total load of crap.

The problem isnt a drug-abuse problem. The problem is poverty and the constant dehumanizing of the human spirit.
There's a zero chance that someone who earns 50K a year is going to rob your house. Poverty creates desperation, and that desperation leads to crime.
Sure, rich and poor use drugs, rich and poor practice some sort of form of child-abuse. But those with resources behave this way out of choice, the choice of being selfish. The poverty stricken behave this way because they have no where else to turn. They see a society who scorns them and ignores them, while not seeing the benefit of helping them to become productive citizens.
I'd like to know where the writer of this stupid story thinks our state will get fine revenues from, as if these misdeeds are something new? Drug possession is already illegal- nothing new there. Child abuse is already illegal- nothing new there. But in both of those circumstances, those acts are perpetrated by the indigent FAR more than the middle-class or higher. Poor people cant pay fines, nor can they afford good representation. They end up in jail when they cannot pay, further burdening the taxpayer, draining our scant operating budgets, only to end up back on the street where the whole process can begin again. The local cops are only too happy to arrest them, as they get paid overtime for every arrest they make that ends up in court. That's right, the lives of the desperate being sold-out so cops can make 80-100K a year in a town where the average per-capita income is 18.5 K a year.
We need job creation. We need a local board who has the ability to change, by inviting and giving incentives to prospective businesses instead of the elitist, clanned-in practices which have directly led to half of Huntington's residents leaving to seek opportunities elsewhere. A person who earns for himself ( and their family) is much more likely to have pride in themselves. That person is far less likely to engage in activities to put that pride at risk.
the trooper

United States

#2 Dec 27, 2012
The article is correct. You get out of life what you put in it. People dont rob people to pay bills they do it to buy pills. Drugs have ruined huntington.

BelAir, CA

#3 Dec 27, 2012
the trooper wrote:
The article is correct. You get out of life what you put in it. People dont rob people to pay bills they do it to buy pills. Drugs have ruined huntington.
ROFL!! You most definitely do NOT get out of life what you put into it.
And why do people need to buy pills?

Since: Dec 12

United States

#4 Dec 28, 2012
Spleencage I am absolutely stunned by your naïveté'. The trooper is spot on, and you, are in fairy land. Wake up and smell the coffee. It's those kinds of excuses that are enabling lousy parenting.
alligatorjackson

United States

#5 Dec 28, 2012
Spleencage, are you dissagreeing with the point that drug addicts don't make good parents

BelAir, CA

#6 Dec 28, 2012
Onion Breath wrote:
Spleencage I am absolutely stunned by your naïveté'. The trooper is spot on, and you, are in fairy land. Wake up and smell the coffee. It's those kinds of excuses that are enabling lousy parenting.
Im stunned you can type, because you certainly cannot read/comprehend.
OMG

Baltimore, MD

#7 Dec 5, 2014
Drug addiction is an illness. You can't put all the people who have this illness in a box and say you are a horrible parent. That's as ignorant as saying if you aren't a Christian you are doomed to go to hell. Are all parent's with cancer bad parents???? EDUCATE YOURSELVES PEOPLE!!!!
Them

Waynesburg, PA

#8 Dec 5, 2014
Yea to omg. when I pull out driveway every day of wk to work. then just one day....I see two dogs knotted in a ditch as my headlights brush along. I dam near backed up. then I think of Most people living near doing same thing. Yea...go to Work....no check in the mailbox. Now when I see a couple not working I remember....2 dogs knotted.
Them

Waynesburg, PA

#9 Dec 5, 2014
Spleencage wrote:
<quoted text>
Im stunned you can type, because you certainly cannot read/comprehend.
dec 28 12 Yea the thread is toast...and your most likely dead if not od
Murugan

Bladensburg, MD

#10 Dec 6, 2014
Them wrote:
Yea to omg. when I pull out driveway every day of wk to work. then just one day....I see two dogs knotted in a ditch as my headlights brush along. I dam near backed up. then I think of Most people living near doing same thing. Yea...go to Work....no check in the mailbox. Now when I see a couple not working I remember....2 dogs knotted.
Wtf does that have to do with anything?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morgantown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Herd has " TWO " National Football Champion... 13 min Pray4WV 2
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 5 hr Meherewv 1,338
WVU Needs To Acquire CAMC and CAMCARE ! 5 hr CTMountaineer 23
Martin family 18 hr Sick 5
I be playing basketball in da nba Sun Devin Williams 1
Anyone know a girl named Cinnamon? (Jan '11) Sun Beansy 14
Morgantown social network bars don't fall for it Sun Beansy 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morgantown Mortgages