First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hans

Fairmont, WV

#1 Dec 10, 2011
My opinion as a homeower in Harvest Ridge:

Wow, the service after the sale sucks!

If you are planning on buying in Harvest Ridge, you should be aware that they will say what you want to hear to get you to sign. They usually leave out little things like the 10 foot easement all around your property. Oh, and the fact that many yards have standing water that really stinks (literally) in the summer.

Dave is one warranty guy, Steve is another. Both have different approaches to not doing what needs to be done.
Hootie

Morgantown, WV

#2 Dec 10, 2011
Have a family member who purchased a Dan Ryan townhouse. Once you sign, they are gone. Getting them to fix problems is like pulling teeth. I think in the long run it's hurting their business.
No DRB Fan

Morgantown, WV

#3 Jan 23, 2012
To Hans: 10' easements are common in all developments in Morgantown. There are plats drawn up for every lot in Harvest Ridge and DRB should have shared that with you.

I agree that the sales people will wine and dine you and tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to sign.

Warranty Dave is horrible. He finds every way to tell you how your problem is not a warranty issue. Have had many encounters with all the DRB warranty folks. They have gone through 3 of them since we moved in (July 2009). They also go through a lot of production managers. I believe I have seen 4 ot 5 of them leave since 2009. This seems fishy to me for such a great company.

Build quality is just so-so. Actually had warranty Steve (no longer with DRB) tell me my expectations were too high. They have strange rules for what constitutes bad drywall finishing, overspray of paint, etc.

My advise to anyone building with DRB is to stay on top of the job. Visit your home every chance you can as it is being built. Go over every document with a fine tooth comb 2 or 3 times. Ask a lot of questions and make sure you get answers. Bring a real estate agent with you when you meet with the sales people. A lot of people don't know you can do this. The agent will know how to deal with the sales people (and they will take half of the commission). The DRB sales folks don't like this. Knock on doors and ask folks who already live in the development about their experiences. Talk to folks who moved in at the beginning as well as folks who just moved in recently. DRB should help you with this. If they are so great, they shouldn't mind you talking to folks who have bought from them.

I personally would not build with DRB again. One of those life lessons learned.
Production Building

Morgantown, WV

#4 Feb 21, 2012
I'm reading a few of the responses to items, that seem strange to me. I have a friend that bought a DRB home and referred me. They received a plot plan and signed it at a meeting right before construction started on their home. I myself know that their people are not paid on a commission nor do they split it with an agent, that was from my agent and my sales rep. Agents with production building are paid from a Realtor fund established by that particular builder. I also called and asked who the Warranty manager was at HR and I was given Dave's name. I in turn asked who was the warranty manager prior and was told the project managers took care of their own warranty items on the homes until the company grew to hold a warranty manager position. Makes sense to me from a business point. I have also asked for a copy of the contract and warranty book. It states in the book drywall specifications that are standard on a national building level. I'm not taking one side, I'm actually reviewing all items and asking the questions that people are posting but what I am finding is that the answers are there and given but has anyone read the warranty book? We decided to buy and so far have been extremely pleased. If I find out anything negative I will surely post. What I'm finding so far, is that there are always two sides. I did stop and talk to 3 different buyers 2 in HR and 1 at another community, all 3 said that they were happy with their home. I do thank you all for giving me a heads up on questions to ask, it was helpful even though we work with a Realtor.
No DRB Fan wrote:
To Hans: 10' easements are common in all developments in Morgantown. There are plats drawn up for every lot in Harvest Ridge and DRB should have shared that with you.
I agree that the sales people will wine and dine you and tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to sign.
Warranty Dave is horrible. He finds every way to tell you how your problem is not a warranty issue. Have had many encounters with all the DRB warranty folks. They have gone through 3 of them since we moved in (July 2009). They also go through a lot of production managers. I believe I have seen 4 ot 5 of them leave since 2009. This seems fishy to me for such a great company.
Build quality is just so-so. Actually had warranty Steve (no longer with DRB) tell me my expectations were too high. They have strange rules for what constitutes bad drywall finishing, overspray of paint, etc.
My advise to anyone building with DRB is to stay on top of the job. Visit your home every chance you can as it is being built. Go over every document with a fine tooth comb 2 or 3 times. Ask a lot of questions and make sure you get answers. Bring a real estate agent with you when you meet with the sales people. A lot of people don't know you can do this. The agent will know how to deal with the sales people (and they will take half of the commission). The DRB sales folks don't like this. Knock on doors and ask folks who already live in the development about their experiences. Talk to folks who moved in at the beginning as well as folks who just moved in recently. DRB should help you with this. If they are so great, they shouldn't mind you talking to folks who have bought from them.
I personally would not build with DRB again. One of those life lessons learned.
Happy with our home

Morgantown, WV

#5 Apr 21, 2012
We built our home two years ago in Harvest Ridge and really enjoy it so far. As far as construction, if you are worried you can drive by every day and watch what they do. You can practically see any phase of construction at once if you walk around the neighborhood since so many homes are going up. So one shouldn't be surprised if you do your homework. If you have questions they are always quick to respond - yes even after we closed. At our closing we did take a realtor with us and she earned about a 3% commission, but we appreciated her help. We have been here two years and with any issue we have had, we have had a response within 24 hours from the managers and it was resolved by the end of the week, even when subcontractors were involved. As far as the water issue, the problems appear to be decreasing as more yards are becoming established, however we are at the top of the hill and haven't had issues. As far as quality of our home vs price, we checked out a ton of homes in our price range over a period of two years in the Morgantown area and we chose Dan Ryan because the layout of the home was perfect and the cost for a brand new home with the options we wanted and a decent sized yard was hard to beat. If we used a custom builder for the square footage we wanted we would be way out of our price range and much further out of Morgantown, plus the older homes in our area we looked at needed lots of upgrades to make it "ours". Yes it's a cookie cutter home, but we didn't expect otherwise and we like the design and location. Two years into it, we would do it again.
fifty fifty

Morgantown, WV

#6 Apr 21, 2012
We bought our home in harvest ridge 3 years ago. The main positive is price and it's a new house. Same house in Suncrest is $200K more. I don't have a problem with lot or house, but I'm tired of the constant construction, bad roads, electric heat, lack of subdivision amenities, playground, pool, etc. We're in the process of selling our house and bidding on a house in Suncrest. Know we'll take a loss when you can build new and don't have to pay realtor commission. Kind of wish we'd just paid the premium price and lived in Suncrest from the start.
testrun

United States

#7 Apr 22, 2012
Are lots still available. i think the area is beautiful.
City Resident

Morgantown, WV

#8 Apr 22, 2012
Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Granted, DRB and many other mass production companies buy materials in bulk and save $ in the process. On the flip side, they don't use top of the line materials either. A cheaper grade window is the first thing I noticed when shopping for a new home about 2 1/2 years ago. The HVAC is also a lower grade that I have seen used in many rentals. I too opted to stay in town and bought an existing home in an established neiborhood. With that said, be very very careful of choosing a city neighborhood. Many of the single family homes are being slowly consumed by landlords and turned into rentals. two homes within a stones throw of my house were recently bought by out of state landlords who turned them into rentals. Neither of the current renters maintain them as an owner would. The current city administration has not kept up with neighborhood issues which have resulted in a decline in both appearance and property value.
Just an idea

Morgantown, WV

#9 Jan 15, 2013
There are two builders in Harvest Ridge. One is Dan Ryan, and I regret buying because of 1) all the problems we've had; and 2) the warranty manager.

If I were to do it over again, I would use the other builder or buy within the city limits. Don't take my word for it. Drive into the community and see the difference in the quality.

Given the roads and that we are in the county, it is a must that you try to drive into the neighborhood when there is snow on the ground. Let's put it this way, both my spouse and I had to buy four wheel drive vehicles.
Been there

Morgantown, WV

#10 Jan 15, 2013
Seems as companies grow, there quality and service suffer. When DRB first started in this area you couldn't beat the quality of both the product and service. You don't hear so much positive now. Glad I passed them by and chose a local established contractor.
New neighbor

Morgantown, WV

#11 Feb 21, 2013
We were looking for a new home in Morgantown and of all we' ve seen , we'll be taking one in Harvest Ridge. Yes, there are still a lot of problems in the community, construction, roads ....but it's not finished ...we are going with the other builder. better quality materials, better finished construction and, yes, we checked references and their follow up responses were a lot better than with DRB. A bit higher in price, not much, but definitely better quality, design, distribution and materials.
We are happy with the area, the big lots, having Walmart next door and being still not too far from town.
Horror-sheer horror

Fairmont, WV

#12 Mar 2, 2013
Simply a horrible experience!! Terrible construction in every way possible!!!
Read the contract well and have an attorney review it before signing anything!
Please do not use this builder.
Lynn Hinkle

Charleston, WV

#13 Jul 30, 2013
Our company does not mass-produce homes-we believe in a quality home for a fair price! We will be building in the Morgantown area this fall-then the competition will have to have people that can market their homes against a real "quality" built home for the same price!! H&H Developers L.L.C.-we see a need for better construction and we are going to make the difference......23 years and still going strong.
Can I post a photo here

Morgantown, WV

#14 Aug 15, 2013
Would be interested in showing my Dan Ryan house.
1 post removed
Home Sweet Home-

Annandale, VA

#16 Oct 22, 2013
My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in the Charlestown/Ranson, WV area. So far we have narrowed it down to two communities. Spruce Hill which is a DR company build and Arcadia which is not. Has anyone had anything to say about Arcadia? I am really nervous because this if "forever"; it's as real of a commitment as getting married, since we plan on growing old in this home. After reading some of these posts, I am torn...
I wish you all the best with your homes and situations...
Dan Ryan Builders sucks

Alexandria, VA

#17 Oct 24, 2013
Home Sweet Home- wrote:
My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in the Charlestown/Ranson, WV area. So far we have narrowed it down to two communities. Spruce Hill which is a DR company build and Arcadia which is not. Has anyone had anything to say about Arcadia? I am really nervous because this if "forever"; it's as real of a commitment as getting married, since we plan on growing old in this home. After reading some of these posts, I am torn...
I wish you all the best with your homes and situations...
Please pick Arcadia. Dan Ryan Builders have had so many lawsuits in WV and they are lead by management folks that only care about profits. Customers are only a commodity to them. No matter how bad (and they are really, really bad) their homes are constructed, they don't care. The owner's a joke, the COO is a snake, the entire organization is a piece of CRAP just like the homes that build.
Nightmare

Morgantown, WV

#18 Oct 25, 2013
PLEASE do not buy this junk in Suncrest Village, Morgantown!! Scam after scam after scam. Lies and more lies! The result is a piece of junk!!
Run and run fast!!
Beware

Clarksburg, WV

#19 Nov 22, 2013
I had bought a house in HR and know of a friend who was buying in Brookdale. The same problems that happened during our build is happening with them as well. The project managers are terrible and when problems are seen just say we will get it later. We'll later came up and they still were fixed as they rushed to get us in he house so they get paid no matter. Lies from the sales agents and their lenders they don't care as long as the push you in the house or onto someone else. Just beware what they are telling you with a grain of salt. I would not recommend it anyone else.
Brooke

Morgantown, WV

#20 Thursday Feb 5
Can anyone tell me what our HOA dues go to at Harvest Ridge?? Because it is clearly not for fixing our roads or plowing or attest putting sinders down on them when they snow or when we have ice. I am new to Harvest Rudge and not sure what are HOA dues are going to.
Beavis

Fairfax, VA

#21 Thursday Feb 5
You mean there actually exists an association who’s sole purpose is to tell you what you can and can’t do on your own property — and you PAY THEM for it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morgantown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rachel shoaf and Sheila eddy (May '13) 5 hr Mikko_S 11,122
Musician J Marinelli Does It All 11 hr uh 2
Archie's in Sabraton 12 hr Tamburine 2
Looking for a good church Wed Jimmy Jacker 5
Nicole Moran Arrested Mar 3 fryingpan 5
looking for a doc that will prescribe narcotics Mar 3 bullconner 4
Herbal Incense/Potpourri Feb 27 this is sad 8
Morgantown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web