public school cuts
Pike Bishop

United States

#1 Aug 14, 2013
I continue to be appalled at class room cuts in NC systems. What are the Republicans thinking?
These are local jobs lost and buying power and taxes. These are local kids deprived of supplies, books and in overcrowded classrooms.
I repeat there will be no great groundswell of good private schools opening in our non metro counties. Employers do not want to come to a place with shoddy schools and an ignorant work force. NO the public schools cannot be shut down but they can be crippled to the point of being ineffctive. Most parents cannot homeschool, most have no access to a private school. In 85 per cent of our state our public schools are the only option.
Actions such as no pay raise for advanced degrees and ongoing low pay enures few young folks will enter teaching. Do we embrace ignorance? I am a conservative independent by the way and my first presidential vote was for Reagan.
This state does not have northern style teachers unions- the local teachers are my neigbors, family and friends. We must do better than this or we are doomed.
Brandi

Lenoir, NC

#2 Aug 14, 2013
Don't worry. They will be cut further when everything past the 8th grade gone online home school. Look at the money that would save the state and federal government in books, teachers, supplies, buildings, buses, etc.
Pike Bishop

United States

#3 Aug 14, 2013
That may be ok for a few, but are most families going to be able to keep an income at home to homeschol- not the people i know attempting to patch togther multiple sub standard wage jobs.
CherokeeWarrior

Simpsonville, SC

#4 Aug 14, 2013
Pike Bishop wrote:
I continue to be appalled at class room cuts in NC systems. What are the Republicans thinking?
These are local jobs lost and buying power and taxes. These are local kids deprived of supplies, books and in overcrowded classrooms.
I repeat there will be no great groundswell of good private schools opening in our non metro counties. Employers do not want to come to a place with shoddy schools and an ignorant work force. NO the public schools cannot be shut down but they can be crippled to the point of being ineffctive. Most parents cannot homeschool, most have no access to a private school. In 85 per cent of our state our public schools are the only option.
Actions such as no pay raise for advanced degrees and ongoing low pay enures few young folks will enter teaching. Do we embrace ignorance? I am a conservative independent by the way and my first presidential vote was for Reagan.
This state does not have northern style teachers unions- the local teachers are my neigbors, family and friends. We must do better than this or we are doomed.
Thank all the simple minded folks who voted for Patty McCrory & Mark Meadows!!
Smiley

Greenville, SC

#5 Aug 15, 2013
McCrory is definitely the worst governor NC has ever had. It will take years to make up for all of the destruction he has done in 8 months. Education is our state's future. Within 5 years there will not be enough warm bodies to fill the teacher positions. No one will go into or stay in the education field in NC. It is sad that he cares nothing about children or our state's future. I am glad all of my children are out of public education! Greed is the bottom line for our governor. I hope his secretary that is making $85000 per year is enjoying his spoils. 2016 cannot come soon enough to get him out of office!
CherokeeWarrior

Lexington, NC

#6 Aug 15, 2013
Smiley wrote:
McCrory is definitely the worst governor NC has ever had. It will take years to make up for all of the destruction he has done in 8 months. Education is our state's future. Within 5 years there will not be enough warm bodies to fill the teacher positions. No one will go into or stay in the education field in NC. It is sad that he cares nothing about children or our state's future. I am glad all of my children are out of public education! Greed is the bottom line for our governor. I hope his secretary that is making $85000 per year is enjoying his spoils. 2016 cannot come soon enough to get him out of office!
Amen!!
Yuup

Rolesville, NC

#7 Aug 16, 2013
You can't just blame it on McCrory. It's taken us years to get this point with no new job creation, taxing existing businesses to the point that they either move to South Carolina or close their doors. Teachers striking and demanding a pay increase should be glad they have a job. We would all like to see a pay increase but in this economy, we're fortunate to even find work. McCrory is making some tough calls, but calls that if done years ago, we not be in this position. Doing what you percieve as bad is no different from doing nothing, Obama got reelected. We are all having to suffer through this until things get better, it's not just the teachers. Oh, and I have a masters degree and work a grunt job everyday. Roll your sleeves up, start working together and stop complaining.
Pike Bishop

United States

#8 Aug 16, 2013
Iagree that NC was done no favors by past polcies that are anti growth and anti business.
NC teachers are not unionized and repeat cannot strike.
Shifting $$$$$ from the classroom to nebulous and in my area non existing private charter schools hurts my local students families and economy.
The anti small, rural county bias coming out of Raleigh is appalling.
It is time for our representatives to stand up for the people that sent them or leave and let someone with our interests at heart to stand for us.
Like it or not most kids will go to public schools
we need professionals there, decently paid and not ignorant failures or pedophiles in the classroom.
Oh I have not noticed any of upper administration being laid off, just the direct classroom teachers.
say what?

United States

#9 Aug 16, 2013
Pike Bishop wrote:
Iagree that NC was done no favors by past polcies that are anti growth and anti business.
NC teachers are not unionized and repeat cannot strike.
Shifting $$$$$ from the classroom to nebulous and in my area non existing private charter schools hurts my local students families and economy.
The anti small, rural county bias coming out of Raleigh is appalling.
It is time for our representatives to stand up for the people that sent them or leave and let someone with our interests at heart to stand for us.
Like it or not most kids will go to public schools
we need professionals there, decently paid and not ignorant failures or pedophiles in the classroom.
Oh I have not noticed any of upper administration being laid off, just the direct classroom teachers.
The education cuts were truly a turn in the wrong direction, however adding insult to injury is the substantial pay increases McCory was able to provide to his inner circle, some exceeding a 20k per year increase. This coming from the same governor that can not understand why unemployed folks can't survive of $350 week.. Not sure if NC has ever impeached a governor but if he continues his route, his buddies will be richer and we will all be paying for it years to come.
Lol

Conover, NC

#10 Nov 4, 2013
Yuup wrote:
You can't just blame it on McCrory. It's taken us years to get this point with no new job creation, taxing existing businesses to the point that they either move to South Carolina or close their doors. Teachers striking and demanding a pay increase should be glad they have a job. We would all like to see a pay increase but in this economy, we're fortunate to even find work. McCrory is making some tough calls, but calls that if done years ago, we not b

e in this position. Doing what you percieve as bad is no different from doing nothing, Obama got reelected. We are all having to suffer through this until things get better, it's not just the teachers. Oh, and I have a masters degree and work a grunt job everyday. Roll your sleeves up, start working together and stop complaining.
What bs
jan

Norcross, GA

#11 Nov 4, 2013
Why is it OK for the government to shut down but the people still have to pay taxes and fees and all this other BS the government makes people pay. The people need to shut down and let the government. See we are not going to put up with this crap.
Curious

Hickory, NC

#12 Jul 25, 2014
And we are still looking at more cuts.....
Really

Hickory, NC

#13 Aug 19, 2014
Not as bad this year
Pike Bishop

United States

#14 Aug 19, 2014
Election year bones thrown to the people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Times prints full page of Trump's lies 5 min State of Florida 57
Americans Prefer Obama; Trump Hurts America 32 min State of Florida 4
Trump Threatens Comey 2 hr waco1909 16
Does anyone know Rocco DiSanto? (Jan '10) 15 hr LEE LEE PRICE 6
Mike Ross 23 hr Just curious 1234 1
News Witch conjures up life in Burke (Nov '07) Tue southern at heart 196
Does anyone talk about anything other than poli... Jun 24 Wtf 1

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance