1,307 votes

Click on an option to vote

Allen Jones

Lance Wilson

yeah

Charlotte, NC

#211 Dec 20, 2013
Gump wrote:
Well, even to me, and I am none too conversant with all the pertickulars, the answer is obvious:

None of the above.

We need more choices.
I've been hearing some talk of Chris running again on the dem ticket. Had 3 different people tell he was considering a run just in case. Anyone else know anything about this?
BJAY

Lenoir, NC

#212 Dec 20, 2013
FormerCCSO wrote:
<quoted text>
Lolololol, BJ, you are trying so hard, but you can't get people to help you. You try convincing employees how good they got it and what a great sheriff he is, but you can't sell it, when you don't believe it either. You are just thankful to get that free paycheck, at least for another couple of months. Do you not know what is so obvious? Nobody at the office likes you, they think you are a joke and make fun of you behind your back, even the other command staff members, even the sheriff does it. Don't believe me, just ask Poarch what Jones nickname is for you other than lardass. Bennett will tell you to your face now that he got away from here. Jones needs you, but doesn't respect you, but he will keep you around as long as you serve a purpose. When is the last time you truly earned a paycheck legally? I guess you have to do what you have to do, but be honest with yourself even if every else isn't.
Keep trying fatass, you are trying so hard, but you are still losing. Well you got plenty of time during the work day when we are working and you are getting paid to jerk Jones off and surf the internet!
Dems for Wilson

Lenoir, NC

#213 Dec 20, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been hearing some talk of Chris running again on the dem ticket. Had 3 different people tell he was considering a run just in case. Anyone else know anything about this?
I like Chris and all and he was done dirty by Jones like so many others have been but I dont think he can get enough support to beat Jones. I think it will be tough enough for Lance just for the simple fact its always tough to beat an incumbent but if anyone can Lance can not to mention I firmly believe Lance is the best choice we could possibly have for a Sheriff. When Gary ran for office it was all about cleaning the county up now its about cleaning our county government up, its become complacent, corrupt and not for the people. Lance will fix that starting at the Sheriffs Office and it will spread from there. The best thing the Democrat party in this county can do is support Lance all the way and work together to rid the county of Jones. If nothing else it will lend some credibility to the local Democrat party which due to national party policies isn't in the best light right now. Anyone running on a Democratic ticket in this county in this day and time will not only be fighting an uphill battle against an incumbent but also have to deal with the fallout of national politics.
Dems for Wilson

Lenoir, NC

#214 Dec 20, 2013
Gump wrote:
Well, even to me, and I am none too conversant with all the pertickulars, the answer is obvious:
None of the above.
We need more choices.
Well if I were you I would make a point to become more "conversant with the particulars" as they are important when it comes to shaping our local home front situation. Go to both peoples functions and see what you think. I have a feeling if you get to hear Lance talk you will see what the best choice is. I like choices but in this case I dont think any democrat candidate would have a chance. We can beat Jones if we all pull together. Removing the corruption from government is a far more important matter than partisan politics.
CALDWELLCOUNTY

Lenoir, NC

#215 Dec 25, 2013
Dear Santa, for Christmas next year, I would like a new Sheriff, I have been really good, but the current sheriff has an evil fat elf that constantly rides by my house and keeps checking my car for stickers, he also keeps asking me to give stickers to my family and to donate money. I don't like him and he smells funny. I really would like a sheriff that knows my name and comes to work more than 2 days a week.
Sincerely,
Caldwell County
voter

Lenoir, NC

#216 Dec 26, 2013
I will be voting for Wilson, no contest between the two.
Hope42014

Lenoir, NC

#217 Dec 31, 2013
For 2014 Caldwell County needs a sheriff free of scandal, corruption and lies. Vote Wilson for Sheriff, he will clean up the scandal and corruption that has embarrassed Caldwell County for the last 4 years and get us back to honest law enforcement.
change in 2014

Lenoir, NC

#218 Dec 31, 2013
Hope42014 wrote:
For 2014 Caldwell County needs a sheriff free of scandal, corruption and lies. Vote Wilson for Sheriff, he will clean up the scandal and corruption that has embarrassed Caldwell County for the last 4 years and get us back to honest law enforcement.
Yes I agree. I have heard a lot of people talking about how they feel 2014 is going to be a good year and a year for change, seems a lot of people have a strange new hope for the future. I for one have been feeling the same way and I also feel like this is going to be one of the changes we see in this year. I think people have had all they can take of government wrong doing, corruption, mismanagement of tax payer dollars and just generally sick of government not working for who pays their salary. I will be there voting with you and hope many others do the same if they are tired of the same old self serving politicians.
the real gump

Lenoir, NC

#219 Jan 1, 2014
Gump wrote:
None of the above.
We need more choices.
I was the original Gump. You read my post a year ago and started doing it. You don't do it right, so please stop. Mine was funny and right on. Yours just sounds very unintelligent. Just FYI.
truth be

United States

#220 Jan 2, 2014
change in 2014 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I agree. I have heard a lot of people talking about how they feel 2014 is going to be a good year and a year for change, seems a lot of people have a strange new hope for the future. I for one have been feeling the same way and I also feel like this is going to be one of the changes we see in this year. I think people have had all they can take of government wrong doing, corruption, mismanagement of tax payer dollars and just generally sick of government not working for who pays their salary. I will be there voting with you and hope many others do the same if they are tired of the same old self serving politicians.
I think Lance will get the agency back on course. I support him but still question if he has the experience on the business side of operating the dept. I've heard several times Soots and Preswood will be captains . I don't know either one of them very well but doubt they can manage the business end either or have the education needed. What are lances plans for this? How's he gonna manage the budget, funding, and program items. What is the business management part of his plan. Being sheriff requires more than just enforcing laws, he's gotta know how to manage the business side too. I would like to hear his plan.
2 pennies

Lenoir, NC

#221 Jan 2, 2014
truth be wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Lance will get the agency back on course. I support him but still question if he has the experience on the business side of operating the dept. I've heard several times Soots and Preswood will be captains . I don't know either one of them very well but doubt they can manage the business end either or have the education needed. What are lances plans for this? How's he gonna manage the budget, funding, and program items. What is the business management part of his plan. Being sheriff requires more than just enforcing laws, he's gotta know how to manage the business side too. I would like to hear his plan.
I agree that he has what it takes to clean that office up and I will go further in saying he can easily manage it on a daily basis. You have to consider we are talking about Caldwell County Sheriffs Office not the L.A. County Sheriffs Office with an umpteen million dollar budget. Even in the case of some place like that the Sheriff is just a figure head with an army of advisers, bean counters and Admin Assistants. If you really want to drive the point home take into consideration who is running the office now and even he has managed to at least keep it out of the red most days albeit at the cost of good efficient service to the citizens of the county.

I think you may be putting too much stock in Alan's education when in reality it is mostly just padding and bluster, not that much practical working knowledge. He has close connections at Appalachian State so I would go as far to call into question most of his degree but even so he isnt even around CCSO enough to use what education he may posses. The daily operations is spread among different people whom I would question their leadership abilities on any day.
If I were you I would ask Wilson personally what his business plan is, attend some of his speaking events or send him a message. He seems very personable and easy to talk to. I have only heard stories of who he has in mind for Captains and what not on here so I would imagine its mostly stories invented by CCSO members attempting to discredit Wilson some how but as of yet I dont see any reason why his choices if true would be a problem. I assume he knows them and knows their strengths and weaknesses. I can say this I dont see how anyone out there has any room to talk about lack of abilities because from what I know of the current command staff and the former almost anyone would be an improvement.
The one thing about that situation I dont really understand is if you dont know anything about those two people named, how could you say they are not qualified or not educated enough?
Either way I think its just a distraction as Jones needs something to keep the pressure off his and his departments lack of ability. Just my two cents.
truth be

United States

#222 Jan 2, 2014
2 pennies wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that he has what it takes to clean that office up and I will go further in saying he can easily manage it on a daily basis. You have to consider we are talking about Caldwell County Sheriffs Office not the L.A. County Sheriffs Office with an umpteen million dollar budget. Even in the case of some place like that the Sheriff is just a figure head with an army of advisers, bean counters and Admin Assistants. If you really want to drive the point home take into consideration who is running the office now and even he has managed to at least keep it out of the red most days albeit at the cost of good efficient service to the citizens of the county.

I think you may be putting too much stock in Alan's education when in reality it is mostly just padding and bluster, not that much practical working knowledge. He has close connections at Appalachian State so I would go as far to call into question most of his degree but even so he isnt even around CCSO enough to use what education he may posses. The daily operations is spread among different people whom I would question their leadership abilities on any day.
If I were you I would ask Wilson personally what his business plan is, attend some of his speaking events or send him a message. He seems very personable and easy to talk to. I have only heard stories of who he has in mind for Captains and what not on here so I would imagine its mostly stories invented by CCSO members attempting to discredit Wilson some how but as of yet I dont see any reason why his choices if true would be a problem. I assume he knows them and knows their strengths and weaknesses. I can say this I dont see how anyone out there has any room to talk about lack of abilities because from what I know of the current command staff and the former almost anyone would be an improvement.
The one thing about that situation I dont really understand is if you dont know anything about those two people named, how could you say they are not qualified or not educated enough?
Either way I think its just a distraction as Jones needs something to keep the pressure off his and his departments lack of ability. Just my two cents.
I am putting no basis on Allan's education because I'm guessing Alan has someone handling the business part for him .It may not be LA County but I'm guessing the budget is easily a couple million dollars plus a year and that's a pretty good chunk considering our county is not as big as LA' either. As about his choices of staff, I heard it other places than here. I don't know either but I do know talking to others they are police not budget administrators so before you get defensive I'm not trying to discredit nobody, just ask a question. I don't know Lance enough to know even where to ask him a question. But one thing you and several of lances supporters have proven good is " don't ask questions" or someone gets all defensive. That's the only and I say only downside of his campaign I seen so far. If the whole campaign carries that arrogance I wonder what it would be like if they did get elected. 3 times in a year I've ask a simple question only to get a defensive, cocky or religious response, not gonna get you many votes. I came in here today which I seldom do for a question and was fully supporting Lance but as before the response makes me wonder if that is the right choice not because of the answer but more for the lack of an answer or some arrogant remark. Makes me wonder sometimes if dealing with the known (Alan)is gonna be any worse than dealing with the unknown (Lance) or just call them equal and save my gas and stay home on Election Day.
2 pennies

Lenoir, NC

#223 Jan 2, 2014
truth be wrote:
<quoted text>
I am putting no basis on Allan's education because I'm guessing Alan has someone handling the business part for him .It may not be LA County but I'm guessing the budget is easily a couple million dollars plus a year and that's a pretty good chunk considering our county is not as big as LA' either. As about his choices of staff, I heard it other places than here. I don't know either but I do know talking to others they are police not budget administrators so before you get defensive I'm not trying to discredit nobody, just ask a question. I don't know Lance enough to know even where to ask him a question. But one thing you and several of lances supporters have proven good is " don't ask questions" or someone gets all defensive. That's the only and I say only downside of his campaign I seen so far. If the whole campaign carries that arrogance I wonder what it would be like if they did get elected. 3 times in a year I've ask a simple question only to get a defensive, cocky or religious response, not gonna get you many votes. I came in here today which I seldom do for a question and was fully supporting Lance but as before the response makes me wonder if that is the right choice not because of the answer but more for the lack of an answer or some arrogant remark. Makes me wonder sometimes if dealing with the known (Alan)is gonna be any worse than dealing with the unknown (Lance) or just call them equal and save my gas and stay home on Election Day.
Well actually if it came off as defensive I apologize because it wasn't my intention mainly because I have nothing to be defensive about. I am not running for Sheriff and dont really consider myself part of his campaign, I know him some and have spoken with him at a few events but I probably know a few of his campaign people more and that's as far as it goes so I think you may have misinterpreted the reply as hostile.
About the budget, yes I think it is in the few million range but as you said it isn't handled by the Sheriff alone, he has professional admin assistants like any department head.
As for being police and not budget administrators, well a Captain doesn't really have or shouldn't have his hands in the budget cookie jar at that level anyways, that level of rank is purely operational and wouldn't be able to spend money without higher up approval at least from my field of experience in the matter.
If you want to get in touch with Lance I do know he has a website I have seen it and I know that you can email him from there, he also has an election facebook if you do the facebook thing. You may take this the wrong way but I hope not because nothing is implied but I would caution you to base what you see here as "official supporters" because who knows who is who. Someone may appear to be and be just some random person attempting to attach themselves to something or they very well could be the opposition just trying to make Wilson and his supporters look bad, its a trick as old as elections have been held. I have seen negative posts from what appears both sides but I take it with a grain of salt because this is Topix and that should explain it enough. My advice is to go straight to the person himself and you can use one of those outlets I stated above. He may have some events listed on the website where you can see him in person, I haven't checked these past few weeks because of the holidays.
Kim

Lenoir, NC

#224 Jan 2, 2014
Wilson got my vote. To much going on up there that's not good. Wilson is a good Christian man and we need a change up there period!
truth be

United States

#225 Jan 2, 2014
2 pennies wrote:
<quoted text>Well actually if it came off as defensive I apologize because it wasn't my intention mainly because I have nothing to be defensive about. I am not running for Sheriff and dont really consider myself part of his campaign, I know him some and have spoken with him at a few events but I probably know a few of his campaign people more and that's as far as it goes so I think you may have misinterpreted the reply as hostile.
About the budget, yes I think it is in the few million range but as you said it isn't handled by the Sheriff alone, he has professional admin assistants like any department head.
As for being police and not budget administrators, well a Captain doesn't really have or shouldn't have his hands in the budget cookie jar at that level anyways, that level of rank is purely operational and wouldn't be able to spend money without higher up approval at least from my field of experience in the matter.
If you want to get in touch with Lance I do know he has a website I have seen it and I know that you can email him from there, he also has an election facebook if you do the facebook thing. You may take this the wrong way but I hope not because nothing is implied but I would caution you to base what you see here as "official supporters" because who knows who is who. Someone may appear to be and be just some random person attempting to attach themselves to something or they very well could be the opposition just trying to make Wilson and his supporters look bad, its a trick as old as elections have been held. I have seen negative posts from what appears both sides but I take it with a grain of salt because this is Topix and that should explain it enough. My advice is to go straight to the person himself and you can use one of those outlets I stated above. He may have some events listed on the website where you can see him in person, I haven't checked these past few weeks because of the holidays.
I was reacting a little strong as well, sorry . I'm not sure how the finances work at the dept is why I was curious. One thing I've not heard bad about the crew there now is budget issues so I was curious what Lance had planned. I've ask a couple questions before and got the Christian routine for a reply, which is ok to a point but still gotta have a plan. You are right this is topix and sadly answers are not to dependable. I'll check out lances website. Thank you
2 pennies

Lenoir, NC

#226 Jan 2, 2014
truth be wrote:
<quoted text>
I was reacting a little strong as well, sorry . I'm not sure how the finances work at the dept is why I was curious. One thing I've not heard bad about the crew there now is budget issues so I was curious what Lance had planned. I've ask a couple questions before and got the Christian routine for a reply, which is ok to a point but still gotta have a plan. You are right this is topix and sadly answers are not to dependable. I'll check out lances website. Thank you
Hey no worries. It can get frustrating looking for a legitimate answer to something on here. While I am not versed on all the budget matters lately out there I do know they have had their share of problems at least in the form of putting money where it could be used the best to serve the people. The whole deal with the embezzlement that took place out there is still shrouded in a lot of mystery as to how much and over what amount of time which to me is reason enough to see them all out the door. That's our money and yet someone was allowed to keep it with no charges and the Sheriff refuses to comment on it using the old it's a confidential personnel matter cop out routine.
You have issues involving purchases of high dollar toys for the command staff and new cars such as a 100,000 dollar SWAT van that is essentially a fancy painted Ford E-350 van that rarely ever gets used except for school visits and so on. The Sheriff has the county commission snowed so he can basically spend at will and use any BS excuse to get more funding, funding that this county is in short supply of. Excessive spending by county departments is what got us our last tax hike several years back and someone will have to pay the piper again eventually as it all adds up.
I know one big thing I have heard Wilson and particularly one of his men talk about when speaking of Wilson is grant funding that the current Sheriff seems to completely ignore, the money is out there it just requires a little effort and next thing you know we could have programs out there that really benefit the citizens. The big thing is funding deputy positions that this county is in dire need of. Five deputies on a shift was fine back in the 80's and 90's but still today? That's the reason it takes 30 plus minutes for one to arrive a lot of time when you need one. The budget has obviously grown since the 80's and we all know the crime rate has so why do we still have the same amount of manpower. Why do we have unbelievable amounts of turnover out there which costs in more ways than one.
You're welcome and hope that info helps, You can find it just by Google'n LanceWilsonforSheriff.com if you haven't found it already. I am sure he will answer any questions you ask of him.
truth be

United States

#227 Jan 2, 2014
2 pennies wrote:
<quoted text>Hey no worries. It can get frustrating looking for a legitimate answer to something on here. While I am not versed on all the budget matters lately out there I do know they have had their share of problems at least in the form of putting money where it could be used the best to serve the people. The whole deal with the embezzlement that took place out there is still shrouded in a lot of mystery as to how much and over what amount of time which to me is reason enough to see them all out the door. That's our money and yet someone was allowed to keep it with no charges and the Sheriff refuses to comment on it using the old it's a confidential personnel matter cop out routine.
You have issues involving purchases of high dollar toys for the command staff and new cars such as a 100,000 dollar SWAT van that is essentially a fancy painted Ford E-350 van that rarely ever gets used except for school visits and so on. The Sheriff has the county commission snowed so he can basically spend at will and use any BS excuse to get more funding, funding that this county is in short supply of. Excessive spending by county departments is what got us our last tax hike several years back and someone will have to pay the piper again eventually as it all adds up.
I know one big thing I have heard Wilson and particularly one of his men talk about when speaking of Wilson is grant funding that the current Sheriff seems to completely ignore, the money is out there it just requires a little effort and next thing you know we could have programs out there that really benefit the citizens. The big thing is funding deputy positions that this county is in dire need of. Five deputies on a shift was fine back in the 80's and 90's but still today? That's the reason it takes 30 plus minutes for one to arrive a lot of time when you need one. The budget has obviously grown since the 80's and we all know the crime rate has so why do we still have the same amount of manpower. Why do we have unbelievable amounts of turnover out there which costs in more ways than one.
You're welcome and hope that info helps, You can find it just by Google'n LanceWilsonforSheriff.com if you haven't found it already. I am sure he will answer any questions you ask of him.
I have wondered what happened with the embezzlement thing but you are correct, anytime something negative happens, the statement is always " protected by employee confidentiality ". It's our tax dollars we should know where it goes. I did hear from a couple supporters too about Lance wanting to do grants and buy things more for patrol. I heard who they thought he might have doing the grants and things. If they are right about the person Lance has got the in mind he is right cause that guys pretty darn sharp but I can't see the guy taking a county job but I hope he does, would help Lance a lot. I have heard others too say the budget here was not spent exactly right, especially on stuff like cars for patrol. They rather spend more on ranking officers cars than patrol cars which really need to be the better ones. But this again I don't know ifs true or not. I have heard a bunch about how much county money has been spent paying for college for some there now but that a lot of officers are not trained like they should be. Why would we spend county money paying employees college cost if that's true. I guess a lot will come out before elections and we will learn more.
Pike Bishop

Enfield, IL

#228 Jan 3, 2014
I am no fan of Jones and the inept management of the departnment.
I am also disturbed that Wilson's campaign trailer is on Ben Griffin's property at the golf course. I do not want BG to own the next sheriff.
Really

Lenoir, NC

#229 Jan 3, 2014
Do you know of any property in caldwell county that Ben doesn't own? Besides, Ben and Sheriff Jones both have rental properties and do business very discreetly and they don't want you to know it.
not a problem

Lenoir, NC

#230 Jan 4, 2014
Pike Bishop wrote:
I am no fan of Jones and the inept management of the departnment.
I am also disturbed that Wilson's campaign trailer is on Ben Griffin's property at the golf course. I do not want BG to own the next sheriff.
I dont see the big deal myself. Its a good location and I am sure the price is probably right which is important for Wilson's Campaign considering it is a grass roots campaign with no funding from the Republican Party to help. I in my honest opinion do not think you will ever have to worry about anyone owning Wilson, he is his own man and no amount of money can change that. I think that is something the people in this county may have a hard time understanding giving the history of politicians around here. He is a different person and that will take some getting used to but for the better. You also have to consider how bad Ben dislikes Jones so naturally he will help anyone who is opposing him which isn't a bad thing at all in this case. I personally think peoples view on Ben is misguided but I am not getting into that argument here, Jones has done a lot to perpetuate peoples view on Ben because they fought like cats and dogs since the day Ben was elected but that's another story in its self.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Truly Do Miss You (Sep '10) 2 hr Repeatly 9
Who Do You Support For Senate In NC in 2014 2 hr Cyrus5590 3,476
Lenoir man charged with drug offenses 3 hr DAMN 4
Cheater why break my heart 7 hr Notsure 8
What really happened with the BCPS resignations? Dec 15 Lovitz 5
Tired of it Dec 14 Pitbull 2
Dating link on Topix Dec 13 tex866 1
Morganton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web