Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Boo wrote:
<quoted text>If you believe your statement, you do not understand the teachings of Jesus. Logically and spiritually.
Then you enlighten me as to what is wrong with my statement and how it conflicts with Jesus's teachings. Defend your statement.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Once again, we disagree.I do not think that Jesus says for us to stand by while someone beats our heads in.Once again, I answered your question.May not have been the way you wanted ,itit answered, but I answered.Will you not now answer mine?
Then what does "Turn the other cheek" mean? You think that is figurative language? If so, then explain what he meant by that statement.
waco1909

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
Abortion. First of all let me say that I wish every mother would give birth to her child. I do not defend abortion as a means of birth control. I would think that Jesus would want every child conceived to be born. The conception of a child is a personal matter, and the mother has a choice of whether she will carry the child to term or not. We know that some have their reasons why they do not that may be practical, and some are simply irresponsible people who do not want to have another child to care for. Regardless, that is their decision to make. How God deals with each individual in terms of justice, I do not know, but if there is a harsh judgement, then that is God's decision to make and the person who is guilty will pay in the way that God chooses.
Now, let me ask you. Are all things possible with God? You would probably answer 'yes'. If so, then what happens to the soul of the aborted child? My guess is that you would respond that the child is sinless and goes to heaven. So, if all things with God are possible, and the soul of the child goes to heaven, is it possible that God could send the soul of that child into another womb of a mother for the child to be born by other parents? I am not trying to rationalize abortion as being the correct position for the mother to take who aborts, but I think this is a great possibility because God is all powerful and can act as he chooses.
Now, in regard to closing abortion clinics. We know that regardless of the law, some people are going to find ways to have the fetus aborted if that is their desire. Should we make it clinically safe for these people to have the procedure performed in a professional and sanitized setting, or should be let them go back to the untrained novice on the street with a supply of coat hangers to perform the procedure, greatly jeoprodizing the health and safety of the mother?
Another thing. Republicans are against welfare and high tax rates. What do you think would happen if every child conceived were to be born? How many of those born would require Social Services for assistance? What would happen to the tax rate that people already complain about? Of course, it would go higher and higher. Here is my final statement. If you choose to have every child to be born, then we as a society have to take the responsibility that every child is cared for by proper housing and being fed. Otherwise, unless we are willing to take on that responsibility, then you better leave things as they are. Now, I have answered your qustion, maybe not to your satifaction, but to the way that I see it.
You did your best,State.Certainly,I agree with some of your points.Would I choose to pay higher taxes to support taking care of the extra children? I`m not going to insult your intelligence by giving you an answer you already know.Things are changing so fast today,they just created a hamburger out of cow cells they grew in a lab.This was predicted years ago by science fiction writers,I bring it up to illustrate how fast things are happening these days.Years ago,Toffler wrote a book called "Future Shock"....The future is now...and I am shocked....
waco1909

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what does "Turn the other cheek" mean? You think that is figurative language? If so, then explain what he meant by that statement.
Literally.to defend yourself against verbal attacks with dignity.Case in point? Jackie Robinson.
Boo

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you enlighten me as to what is wrong with my statement and how it conflicts with Jesus's teachings. Defend your statement.
Church and state. Plain and simple. The concept has been around for how long? Your ideology compares law and religion as one. That is not the case in this country. "Worship as you please or not at all" etc. The examples you are using are moot. End of defense.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Boo wrote:
<quoted text>Church and state. Plain and simple. The concept has been around for how long? Your ideology compares law and religion as one. That is not the case in this country. "Worship as you please or not at all" etc. The examples you are using are moot. End of defense.
Very weak defense. You make generalizations without specific points and that is what kills your argument. In other words, you have no defense. Now, would you like to discuss specific points?
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text>Literally.to defend yourself against verbal attacks with dignity.Case in point? Jackie Robinson.
Jackie Robinson had an agreement with Branch Rickey not to retaliate against racism for a 3 year period. It was not Robinson's choice. It was made mandatory by Branch Rickey. After the period was over, he ran into and spiked every racist ballplayer that he had past encounters with. He lived it for 3 years, and that in itself is incredible. Jackie Robinson was a great man. He not only was a great ballplayer that broke the color barrier, but he honored his agreement with Mr. Rickey. A man of his word that opened the door for other ballplayers to come. He is a great American hero that proved that one can be controlled in any situation he may face.
Boo

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Very weak defense. You make generalizations without specific points and that is what kills your argument. In other words, you have no defense. Now, would you like to discuss specific points?
What about laws and beliefs don't you understand? You do know how "laws" are created, right? You do know how religious beliefs are created, right? Laws "we" all have to abide by, right? Religious beliefs, not so much, right? There is no argument. Your done.

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Jackie Robinson had an agreement with Branch Rickey not to retaliate against racism for a 3 year period. It was not Robinson's choice. It was made mandatory by Branch Rickey. After the period was over, he ran into and spiked every racist ballplayer that he had past encounters with. He lived it for 3 years, and that in itself is incredible. Jackie Robinson was a great man. He not only was a great ballplayer that broke the color barrier, but he honored his agreement with Mr. Rickey. A man of his word that opened the door for other ballplayers to come. He is a great American hero that proved that one can be controlled in any situation he may face.
Robinson was a real man.Today we seem to have to defend our manhood from every perceived"disrespect ". Nobody can ignore, or back down, from anything.Some people remember Robinson as a great ballplayer.I remember him as a great man, of great dignity and determination.A role model, for us ALL!
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Boo wrote:
<quoted text>What about laws and beliefs don't you understand? You do know how "laws" are created, right? You do know how religious beliefs are created, right? Laws "we" all have to abide by, right? Religious beliefs, not so much, right? There is no argument. Your done.
What do you think The 10 Commandments are? Suggestions from God? They are laws!
ohno

Clover, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Its all about. racism the blacks will not shut up until the state gives them what they want from this trial. its over the man proved his guilt to a jury so let it go he protected his self and his community from a little thug trying to show he could walk on anybody s property and jump on a man's back to beat him but he payed with his life for it so let the thug rip and let zimmerman get back to his normal life
Boo

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think The 10 Commandments are? Suggestions from God? They are laws!
Do you think Pharaoh would have obeyed those words written on stone tablets if Moses had gone back to Egypt? BTW, was Moses Christian? Who was he leading out of Egypt? Muslims? Buddhists, Catholics?? Church and state, it's a simple concept. Man votes for laws. Same sex marriage, your biggie, abortion, banking, regulations, self-defense.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Boo wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think Pharaoh would have obeyed those words written on stone tablets if Moses had gone back to Egypt? BTW, was Moses Christian? Who was he leading out of Egypt? Muslims? Buddhists, Catholics?? Church and state, it's a simple concept. Man votes for laws. Same sex marriage, your biggie, abortion, banking, regulations, self-defense.
So, what is your point? Moses, a Jew, lead the children of Israel out of Egypt. They were Jews. Christianity, Islam and Catholicism did not exist in the time of Moses. Laws are established in religions just as they are in nations. I believe totally in the separation of church and state. Some people think the words of the Bible supercede the US Constitution and would love to see a Christian Theocracy be the rule of law in the US. Fortunately, the First Amendment freedom of religion clause prevents this. I fail to see the point of your "simple concept" of Church and State. Please elaborate. Why do you think prayer was removed from public schools by the Supreme Court?

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State, I hate to get involved, but there are MANY Christians who firmly believe in the separation of church and state, I believe Christ Himself addressed that point.Certainly, extremists of all kinds can be located to back up any point someone may care to advance.Ultimately,I believe that statements indicating that religious extremists would prefer this country to be governed under biblical laws to be self-defeating and provocative.
Boo

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what is your point? Moses, a Jew, lead the children of Israel out of Egypt. They were Jews. Christianity, Islam and Catholicism did not exist in the time of Moses. Laws are established in religions just as they are in nations. I believe totally in the separation of church and state. Some people think the words of the Bible supercede the US Constitution and would love to see a Christian Theocracy be the rule of law in the US. Fortunately, the First Amendment freedom of religion clause prevents this. I fail to see the point of your "simple concept" of Church and State. Please elaborate. Why do you think prayer was removed from public schools by the Supreme Court?
"The Ten Commandments, also known as the Decalogue, are a set of biblical principles relating to ethics and worship, which play a fundamental role in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. They include instructions to worship only God and to keep the sabbath, and prohibitions against idolatry, blasphemy, murder, theft, dishonesty, and adultery. Different groups follow slightly different traditions for interpreting and numbering them." "Law is a term which does not have a universally accepted definition,[2] but one definition is that law is a system of rules and guidelines which are enforced through social institutions to govern behavior.[3] Laws can be made by legislatures through legislation, the executive through decrees and regulations, or judges through binding precedents (normally in common law jurisdictions). Private individuals can create legally binding instruments, though not laws strictly speaking, through for example contractual arrangements, particularly arbitration agreements that exclude the normal court process. The formation of laws themselves may be influenced by a constitution (written or unwritten) and the rights encoded therein. The law shapes politics, economics and society in countless ways and serves as a social mediator of relations between people." This discussion was about stand your ground LAW. I'm done talking religion, as I am sure your's is different from mine. Have a good one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 841 - 855 of855
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Morganton Discussions

Search the Morganton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The Return of Jim Crow in North Carolina 4 min Jubilant Sleep 28
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 34 min State of Florida 54,792
DA Race: Don't forget to go vote! 44 min TSF 9
Why Meedos close??? 59 min Backagain 1
a meth head thief 1 hr lizard 7
Flamboyant, eccentric Willard Blevins dies 5 hr gv4l 26
Atheists in Caldwell County? (Nov '11) 7 hr Free-Thinking 387
•••
•••
•••
•••

Morganton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000