TSF

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Jesus stood his ground when he drove out the money changers who were defiling the temple. He also advised one to "turn the other cheek". But if you are going to be killed, you will not be able follow that instruction. No mortal can fathom the exact will of the Almighty. That is why I believe that using religion trying to win man's political arguments would be blasphemous to religion.
State of Florida wrote:
Maybe not on this thread because I don't personally know any of you, but with many of my conservative Christian friends, I ask them if they think Jesus would be a stand your ground advocate? Usually they just babble and move on. Not one has given a straight answer. So, I am asking those of you who profess Christianity the same question. Would Jesus be a stand your ground advocate? Why or why not?
TSF

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Winston Churchill said that Americans always do the right thing-- after they have exhausted all the other possibilities. I think we are likely now down to that last possibility with stand your ground..
waco1909 wrote:
TSF although I agree with your assertion of most Americans supporting"stand your ground" I'm also aware that sometimes most Americans....are wrong.Although not, I believe, in this case.

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer your abortion question after to respond to this. Jesus would advise you to "defend yourself and your property?" Is that why he said, "If someone smite thee, turn to him the other cheek also?" What did Jesus mean by this statement? Does this sound like he would support 'Stand Your Ground' to you?
The Lord, when smitten on the cheek, DID NOT TURN the other cheek, but rebuked his assailant with dignity.The language was figurative, as is a lot of the Bible.Now I'm going to answer your question, again.I believe that Jesus Christ would support stand your ground.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Dang wrote:
I love the way your "friends babble", you sound like a great friend. Don't we have a "separation of church and state"? You can not use this example without using all the rest, like homosexuality, infidelity etc. Stand your ground is a law. Now, if you would like to ask about another religion...guess which one, where you can strike down someone go ahead. Oh yeah, try reading the Koran.
My friends and I are real friends, and because of that we challenge each others beliefs. Sometimes they babble, sometimes I do. I am not defending Islam. I do not agree with their beliefs, but I do defend their right to exist in this country under the First Amendment, and that is the Supreme law of this nation. No state law supercedes it.
TSF

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Ideology is quite confusing.
For instance:
Some support the right to life but want to kill certain convicted criminals even though there have been many instances of the conviction of innocents.

Then others want to end the death penalty for convicted criminals but support the killing of innocent babies.

So , being ideologically challenged and prone to ration instead, I think we should just end the killing period.

But even though I would end the state killing and medical killing, I would still, given the chance, kill anyone who threatened my life or the life of my family.

Who invented this ideology thing anyway?
State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer your abortion question after to respond to this. Jesus would advise you to "defend yourself and your property?" Is that why he said, "If someone smite thee, turn to him the other cheek also?" What did Jesus mean by this statement? Does this sound like he would support 'Stand Your Ground' to you?
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> The Lord, when smitten on the cheek, DID NOT TURN the other cheek, but rebuked his assailant with dignity.The language was figurative, as is a lot of the Bible.Now I'm going to answer your question, again.I believe that Jesus Christ would support stand your ground.
How do you make the decision of what is figurative and what is literal? Is "Thou shall not Kill" figurative or literal? When Jesus was on trial and was whipped severely and spit on by the Romans with a crown of thornes imbedded into his head, did he "Stand his ground" and retaliate back? Is the beating of Jesus and his reaction to that beating figurative or literal? I would say that he literally 'turned the other cheek'. How can you explain that any other way?

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you make the decision of what is figurative and what is literal? Is "Thou shall not Kill" figurative or literal? When Jesus was on trial and was whipped severely and spit on by the Romans with a crown of thornes imbedded into his head, did he "Stand his ground" and retaliate back? Is the beating of Jesus and his reaction to that beating figurative or literal? I would say that he literally 'turned the other cheek'. How can you explain that any other way?
Where does it say that Jesus was supposed to resist his torture and crucifixion? Was that not His Destiny? Now, answer my question, like I did yours.
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

TSF wrote:
Jesus stood his ground when he drove out the money changers who were defiling the temple. He also advised one to "turn the other cheek". But if you are going to be killed, you will not be able follow that instruction. No mortal can fathom the exact will of the Almighty. That is why I believe that using religion trying to win man's political arguments would be blasphemous to religion.
<quoted text>
Outstanding comment.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

The parables of Jesus also have to be figured out, as they are figurative.If you have trouble with that, go to a good Bible based study group.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State, you didn't answer my question.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State you aren't my enemy.But our disagreement is profound.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

TSF wrote:
<quoted text>
And you can use the argument that Jesus was not "stand your ground" when he was being arrested in the garden, Peter drew his sword and cut off the ear of a Roman soldier. Jesus told him, "Peter, put away your sword. All who live by the sword, die by the sword". So, even in his time of arrest to be sentenced to death on the cross, Jesus was definitely not Stand your Ground.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Where does it say that Jesus was supposed to resist his torture and crucifixion? Was that not His Destiny? Now, answer my question, like I did yours.
Jesus very well could have resisted his torture and crucifixion. Did he not tell Pilate that he could call on Legions of Angels to come and protect him? Did he? No, he did not. So, therefore, he did not use stand your ground. No matter what you say, Jesus was totally non violent and advocated that to his followers. He admonished Peter in the garden for using his sword to defend him. You cannot in any way defend 'stand your ground' law by the teachings of Jesus, not matter how far you try to reach for it's defense. Logically and spiritually, that just cannot happen. Now, I will answer your question, but it will be several hours from now as I have some business to take care of. Thanks for an intelligent dialogue. This is the real purpose of this forum.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
And you can use the argument that Jesus was not "stand your ground" when he was being arrested in the garden, Peter drew his sword and cut off the ear of a Roman soldier. Jesus told him, "Peter, put away your sword. All who live by the sword, die by the sword". So, even in his time of arrest to be sentenced to death on the cross, Jesus was definitely not Stand your Ground.
Once again, we disagree.I do not think that Jesus says for us to stand by while someone beats our heads in.Once again, I answered your question.May not have been the way you wanted ,itit answered, but I answered.Will you not now answer mine?
Bubba

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

For those of you that want to inject the teachings of Jesus Christ as a reason to not defend the "stand your ground" ruling. Let's also use his teachings that if Trayvon had been christ like, he would have walked away and not confronted Zimmerman. You can't have it one way and be fair to both parties.
waco1909

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus very well could have resisted his torture and crucifixion. Did he not tell Pilate that he could call on Legions of Angels to come and protect him? Did he? No, he did not. So, therefore, he did not use stand your ground. No matter what you say, Jesus was totally non violent and advocated that to his followers. He admonished Peter in the garden for using his sword to defend him. You cannot in any way defend 'stand your ground' law by the teachings of Jesus, not matter how far you try to reach for it's defense. Logically and spiritually, that just cannot happen. Now, I will answer your question, but it will be several hours from now as I have some business to take care of. Thanks for an intelligent dialogue. This is the real purpose of this forum.
Jesus was not sent here to use his power that way.HE had a DUTY to perform,to shed HIS BLOOD for us,not to physically destroy HIS enemies.The way of the Lord is the way of Perfection.If the world was populated by people as good as the LORD,Zimmerman wouldn`t have needed a gun,and Trayvon Martin would not have used his fists as weapons.Sorry,the battery on my phone was down,so I had to use the work computer.When you return,I will tell you what kind of work I do,you may find it interesting.
Boo

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe your statement, you do not understand the teachings of Jesus. Logically and spiritually.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Bubba wrote:
For those of you that want to inject the teachings of Jesus Christ as a reason to not defend the "stand your ground" ruling. Let's also use his teachings that if Trayvon had been christ like, he would have walked away and not confronted Zimmerman. You can't have it one way and be fair to both parties.
And Zimmerman would not have been armed for the purpose where the likelihood to kill someone would have been an option. Neither was very Christ-like, as probably neither are any of us.
waco1909

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Jesus come to show off his ability to kill His enemies?No. The lesson of Christ is Perfection.If people here were all Christ-Like,Zimmerman would not have needed to use a gun,and Martin would not have used his fists.
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Abortion. First of all let me say that I wish every mother would give birth to her child. I do not defend abortion as a means of birth control. I would think that Jesus would want every child conceived to be born. The conception of a child is a personal matter, and the mother has a choice of whether she will carry the child to term or not. We know that some have their reasons why they do not that may be practical, and some are simply irresponsible people who do not want to have another child to care for. Regardless, that is their decision to make. How God deals with each individual in terms of justice, I do not know, but if there is a harsh judgement, then that is God's decision to make and the person who is guilty will pay in the way that God chooses.

Now, let me ask you. Are all things possible with God? You would probably answer 'yes'. If so, then what happens to the soul of the aborted child? My guess is that you would respond that the child is sinless and goes to heaven. So, if all things with God are possible, and the soul of the child goes to heaven, is it possible that God could send the soul of that child into another womb of a mother for the child to be born by other parents? I am not trying to rationalize abortion as being the correct position for the mother to take who aborts, but I think this is a great possibility because God is all powerful and can act as he chooses.
Now, in regard to closing abortion clinics. We know that regardless of the law, some people are going to find ways to have the fetus aborted if that is their desire. Should we make it clinically safe for these people to have the procedure performed in a professional and sanitized setting, or should be let them go back to the untrained novice on the street with a supply of coat hangers to perform the procedure, greatly jeoprodizing the health and safety of the mother?

Another thing. Republicans are against welfare and high tax rates. What do you think would happen if every child conceived were to be born? How many of those born would require Social Services for assistance? What would happen to the tax rate that people already complain about? Of course, it would go higher and higher. Here is my final statement. If you choose to have every child to be born, then we as a society have to take the responsibility that every child is cared for by proper housing and being fed. Otherwise, unless we are willing to take on that responsibility, then you better leave things as they are. Now, I have answered your qustion, maybe not to your satifaction, but to the way that I see it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Morganton Discussions

Search the Morganton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Brandi collins 12 min curious 4
blonde on wilson street 3 hr enjoy 14
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 hr Delinger 55,935
Has Meedo's Really Closed Down This Time? July ... 8 hr Guy 4
Crawford trial expected to start today (Nov '12) 9 hr Gotcha 49
Affair with boss 9 hr Just saying 32
Giovanni's Pizza shut down?? (Dec '13) 9 hr prego 21
•••
•••
•••
Morganton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Morganton Jobs