Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2012

Judged:

I wonder how many people read the "State of the City" address published in the MNH February 2. The most interesting part of the report talks about 'Election Information'.

The 2011 election was the first time in years that Morganton's election was conducted by the Burke County Board of Elections. Mayor Mel Cohen was interviewed and made several comments. Mayor Cohen said he expected improvements in the process before 2013. Morganton has experienced criticism of the election / runoff method used allowing an "OCTOBER" election date.

This method requires a candidate receive 50 percent of the votes plus 1 to be declared the winner. If no winner, a "runoff" election can be held in "NOVEMBER" (during the time all other towns actually hold their elections). This method is used in 17 other cities across North Carolina, including Raleigh, Shelby, Statesville, Monroe, and Rocky Mount.

Mayor Cohen says "I've heard some argue we could save money holding the election in November when county elections are held, using the "plurality method" where the candidate who gets the most votes wins". Figures have been thrown out, and every time they seem to be different. I believe elections are the foundation of our democracy, like the foundation to your house, I would ask,'Do you want it built the cheapest way ?

Mayor Cohen continued saying the plurality method can result in a candidate winning who receives a smaller percentage of the vote. Mayor Cohen continues saying October elections don't "get lost" in the shuffle of deciding county-wide issues. Next a comparison to voter turnout in Morganton on Oct. 11 is compared to that of Burke County the following month (10.4%) to (14.6%) which based on the respective number of eligible voters is just a BAD comparison !

Finally, Mayor Cohen states "The multiple voting sites and the method used by BCBOE to notify voters was confusing and we won't be using that in the future. REALLY Mel, so you think you have the AUTHORITY to tell the BCBOE's how many polling places to use to conduct the elections ?

Folks, please look at this as it is an "ABUSE of POWER" and at the least an attempt to "TAMPER with Morganton's election" which is not allowed since Morganton contracted with BCBOE's to conduct ALL future city elections. Mel will continue to do "whatever he wants, as long as taxpayers sit by and do nothing".

That's sad.

Morganton must do better.
enough

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2012

Judged:

Yes Teacher, It is sad. We will NEVER be rid of MEL. Money breeds power... Power breeds corruption. If ever there was a need for term limits, its this place. As a side note, did anyone notice the Joe Eddy Roper incident? Does it really take 8 PIGS to restrain a 75 year old man?
Beaver Head

Ellenboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2012

Judged:

The mayor and his blond headed bimbo need to go. I see that the city lawyer has finally retired. I wonder if there is a civil lawsuit pending?
Debs

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Mel, has a restaurant in Town. He views all of Morganton as his, he is a egotistical ass. The way the Historic Morganton festival is ran is just as offending as the elections.
They always say that the Historic festival looses money , if that is really the truth then why do they continue to run it the same way every year. They charge vendors for power but they have no way to monitor the power being used , non of the attractions , rides or either of the stages have power meters on them. So where does the money go to??
That old Man is fucking everyone and laughing himself to sleep.
If someone has a lot of money they should buy his neighbors house and turn it into a half way house. That would be a great thing. or just ride by his house and throw garbage in his yard . F The Man

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Morganton Forum right now

Search the Morganton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
blonde on wilson street 5 min Rube Walker 9
Caldwell County HS football 25 min caldwelldude213 1
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 37 min Waco 1909 55,830
Town of Hudson- Alcohol Vote 1 hr not the 1950s 18
Affair with boss 1 hr i know 26
public school cuts (Aug '13) 2 hr Curious 12
Hidden Cell Phone Battery Power (Nov '07) 2 hr Curious 32
•••
•••
•••
•••

Morganton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••