higher consciousness, the road to hig...

higher consciousness, the road to higher power

Posted in the Morganton Forum

lennie ment

United States

#1 Nov 20, 2012
Do you atheists believe in a higher state of mind?
I know you do with drugs, most likely, With practice and conditioning you can obtain a higher state or achieve a higher consciousness without drugs.

Meditate, self hypnosis or concentrate on relaxing, total relaxation.

Try it,you may like it.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2 Nov 20, 2012
It is impossible to be an Atheist, yet believe in a higher consciousness.

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

#3 Nov 20, 2012
GV4L wrote:
It is impossible to be an Atheist, yet believe in a higher consciousness.
That's not true. Many atheists are also Buddhists. Many meditate. Many believe in all sorts of supernatural phenomena, just not in a god.

You are confusing atheism with nihilism. Big difference.

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

#4 Nov 20, 2012
lennie ment wrote:
Do you atheists believe in a higher state of mind?
I know you do with drugs, most likely, With practice and conditioning you can obtain a higher state or achieve a higher consciousness without drugs.
Meditate, self hypnosis or concentrate on relaxing, total relaxation.
Try it,you may like it.
Atheists are one of the most diverse groups of people in this world, so much that it's hardly a group at all.

That's kind of like asking if everyone who isn't a baptist believes the same thing, or if all homosexuals have the same beliefs. Atheists share only one thing in common. No God.

I'm sure plenty of atheists are "spiritual," and have found a higher consciousness. On the other hand, many atheists are very pragmatic and science minded.

We are not all nihilists.
lennie ment

United States

#5 Nov 20, 2012
buddist very much believe in God...many,many Gods they loved magic and philosophy...IE Budda.

what form does God manifest himself to you. If you believed in God. If you closed your eyes imagine the first thing that comes to your mind of God..nothing, a light, white noise, money or a man up in heaven sitting on a cloud with a band of angels walking around with halos on their heads on streets of gold with all the men lying around with 72 vir...women feeding them grapes and stuff.

The idea and your perception of God may be holding you back from the concept of something that is around you, in you
lennie ment

United States

#6 Nov 20, 2012
I can believe that there are people that do not believe that Jesus was God. How can anyone believe that a man named Jesus did not walk on this earth..HOW!

Remember the ancients were spiritual and believed in many Gods or a monotheist God. The ancients believed that a crack of lightening and thunder meant very different things to them, than it does to us today.
lennie ment

United States

#7 Nov 20, 2012
Jesus was a teacher Of a concept of love thy enemies, love thy neighbor, one God was very, very foreign to the hard and callus laws such as an eye for an eye and cutting off hands that had stolen or stoning women to death for adultery.

The laws that were in the old testament are very much in effect in the Middle east now, look at what has and is happening over there now, is what Jesus faced then.
yeah right

Asheville, NC

#8 Nov 20, 2012
lennie ment wrote:
I can believe that there are people that do not believe that Jesus was God. How can anyone believe that a man named Jesus did not walk on this earth..HOW!
Remember the ancients were spiritual and believed in many Gods or a monotheist God. The ancients believed that a crack of lightening and thunder meant very different things to them, than it does to us today.
jesus is not god , he is gods son. gods name is jehovah psalms 83:18

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

#10 Nov 20, 2012
lennie ment wrote:
buddist very much believe in God...many,many Gods they loved magic and philosophy...IE Budda.
what form does God manifest himself to you. If you believed in God. If you closed your eyes imagine the first thing that comes to your mind of God..nothing, a light, white noise, money or a man up in heaven sitting on a cloud with a band of angels walking around with halos on their heads on streets of gold with all the men lying around with 72 vir...women feeding them grapes and stuff.
The idea and your perception of God may be holding you back from the concept of something that is around you, in you
No, you are misinformed about Buddhism. Many people follow Buddhist philosophy as a way of life, but do not believe in any gods or a divine creator. Buddha is not the "God" of Buddhism, he is not a deity to be worshipped, but more of a philosopher. Do some research. I have met quite a few "buddhist atheists." They do exist.

I used to believe in God. I went down that road, and the more I learned about it all, the more certain I was that man created God, and not the other way around. You seem to think there is something keeping me from "enlightenment," but I'm more enlightened now than ever before. I didn't become an atheist overnight. I am not a child that needs to be shown the light.

God is man's answer to his own insecurities about life and death. Many people need God for comfort, for security, for purpose. I don't. It's really that simple.

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

#11 Nov 20, 2012
lennie ment wrote:
I can believe that there are people that do not believe that Jesus was God. How can anyone believe that a man named Jesus did not walk on this earth..HOW!
Remember the ancients were spiritual and believed in many Gods or a monotheist God. The ancients believed that a crack of lightening and thunder meant very different things to them, than it does to us today.
Believing that jesus never walked the earth is just as easy as believing that bigfoot never walked the earth.

You ever think about the possibility that one day, people will view christianity in the same manner that they view Norse or Greek mythology?

The Ancients were spiritual for the same reasons anyone else is. Because we, as humans, need to know the answers, and when we can't produce answers, we make something up. "Oh no! A flash from the sky! The Gods are angry!" They didn't have the science we have today. We can now explain things scientifically that used to be simply attributed to divine forces.

“Try to enjoy the ride.”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#12 Nov 21, 2012
I'm an atheist. I'm not spiritual. I don't believe in an afterlife. Higher level of consciousness? I dunno, I'd need a more direct definition.

If you mean there are planes of existence outside the realm of the world we live in... I dunno... maybe? I don't actively believe in any such thing, but that doesn't mean I completely dismiss it either. It's completely subjective. You just can't know someone else's perspective. Ever. Period. Things like that all come down to personal experience which is neither testable in science, nor dismissible by it. That's not the job of science. Science doesn't care if you are spiritual or not. That's a personal choice everyone makes.

I have made the personal choice not to buy into any kind of spirituality . That doesn't mean I won't change my mind tomorrow, just means I have yet to be convinced of a spiritual plane of existence. I'd have to see it or experience it to believe it.

But it's unimportant to me. If there is some spiritual existence out there that I haven't experienced, I doubt any of the spirits within are interested in my personal beliefs on their existence. In fact, maybe they don't believe I exist either. Who knows. There's a lot of questions there, and I don't have really any answers. All i can say is... nah.. not for me.

I believe in THIS life. I'm interested in what I know, and what I CAN know. I'm interested in the people I can see, feel, experience, teach, and most importantly... LEARN FROM. That's important to me. Believing in this life is the hard part. Living for an afterlife is easy.

If you think of this life as some kind of dress rehearsal, some kind of test, to which there is an instruction manual... it's a very easy life to live. Just go do as you're told, and die.

But when you go on the assumption that this is it, this is all we get... THAT is when life becomes challenging. You must live each moment like it's important. Time wasted is never recaptured. Morality becomes something you have to come by by using empathy, love, compassion, and logic. Not pre-laid out rules. Memories become your most prized possession.

I live the way I live because it reminds me every day that I'm a good person without being forced to be. I live the way I live because I like using logic, intellect, and reason to figure things out, rather than some outdated book.

Say what you want about atheists... and I certainly don't speak for atheists... but our numbers are growing. And it's a very exciting time to be an atheist.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#13 Nov 21, 2012
Religion is like politics, it's completely screwed up. Spirituality, to me is simply a frequency. You can tune in to light or dark energy. I once believed that I was an Atheist, until I realized it's possible that this innate sense of right and wrong that people possess, is merely one's tuning in to the "higher self". I think this sense of morality clearly distinguishes us from other animals on the planet. One could argue that it's simply brain power that sets us apart form other earth critters, but I think there is something more to it. I find that there is plenty of room in my life for a little faith, prayer, and even superstition. I am not ashamed of it, and don't mind at all if it adds or subtracts from IQ.

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

#14 Nov 21, 2012
CDCeltown wrote:
I'm an atheist. I'm not spiritual. I don't believe in an afterlife. Higher level of consciousness? I dunno, I'd need a more direct definition.
If you mean there are planes of existence outside the realm of the world we live in... I dunno... maybe? I don't actively believe in any such thing, but that doesn't mean I completely dismiss it either. It's completely subjective. You just can't know someone else's perspective. Ever. Period. Things like that all come down to personal experience which is neither testable in science, nor dismissible by it. That's not the job of science. Science doesn't care if you are spiritual or not. That's a personal choice everyone makes.
I have made the personal choice not to buy into any kind of spirituality . That doesn't mean I won't change my mind tomorrow, just means I have yet to be convinced of a spiritual plane of existence. I'd have to see it or experience it to believe it.
But it's unimportant to me. If there is some spiritual existence out there that I haven't experienced, I doubt any of the spirits within are interested in my personal beliefs on their existence. In fact, maybe they don't believe I exist either. Who knows. There's a lot of questions there, and I don't have really any answers. All i can say is... nah.. not for me.
I believe in THIS life. I'm interested in what I know, and what I CAN know. I'm interested in the people I can see, feel, experience, teach, and most importantly... LEARN FROM. That's important to me. Believing in this life is the hard part. Living for an afterlife is easy.
If you think of this life as some kind of dress rehearsal, some kind of test, to which there is an instruction manual... it's a very easy life to live. Just go do as you're told, and die.
But when you go on the assumption that this is it, this is all we get... THAT is when life becomes challenging. You must live each moment like it's important. Time wasted is never recaptured. Morality becomes something you have to come by by using empathy, love, compassion, and logic. Not pre-laid out rules. Memories become your most prized possession.
I live the way I live because it reminds me every day that I'm a good person without being forced to be. I live the way I live because I like using logic, intellect, and reason to figure things out, rather than some outdated book.
Say what you want about atheists... and I certainly don't speak for atheists... but our numbers are growing. And it's a very exciting time to be an atheist.
I'll drink to that! Very well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Left will come for YOU 53 min waco1909 14
Let Robert E.Lee Statues Stand, He Was Gay! 58 min waco1909 15
Alt-left blames every one on earth for Charlott... 1 hr Gin Mill 220
Any black men interested in a "platonic" relati... 9 hr waco1909 3
Steve Bannon fired! 10 hr TSF 12
Morganton Graffiti Thu Moose Knuckle 1
The Confederate courthouse Statue Has Got To Go! Wed The Green Watch Dog 4

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Morganton Mortgages