New furniture company could bring 150...

New furniture company could bring 150 jobs

There are 7 comments on the Lenoir News-Topic story from Jul 16, 2014, titled New furniture company could bring 150 jobs. In it, Lenoir News-Topic reports that:

A Florida-based furniture company is considering placing a manufacturing plant in Caldwell County, with perhaps 150 jobs over the next three years, county officials said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lenoir News-Topic.

curious mechanic

Black Mountain, NC

#1 Jul 17, 2014
I have a feeling this wont be what the EDC makes it out to be if it happens but has me curious none the less. I cant really see a furniture company willing to pay an average wage of 37K a year, my guess is that is twisted numbers from the management side average pay. Either twisted by the company, the EDC or both.

What site could they be looking at? Does anyone know if the old Pacemaker / Lenoir Chair Complex is being used for anything now. I think a dumpster manufacturer has moved into one of the buildings Broyhill owned, maybe Plants 3 and 55. Harper Furniture is the only other empty one not torn down. Does anyone know if its being used for anything? Not sure the Kincaid Plant in Joyceton is being used for.

Last Sunday I heard on the radio (103.3) about a furniture manufacturer in Lenoir looking to hire a lot of people but it wasn't Bernhardt which is about the last one standing. Did anyone else catch that? The add said you had to apply somewhere near the ed center at some office, cant remember the name of it either.
resident

Dayton, OH

#2 Jul 17, 2014
Well you know what that means if its true about a new furn comp 1500 more mexicans come over to apply for the 150 jobs
old Broyhill guy

Black Mountain, NC

#3 Jul 17, 2014
I would like to see some revival of the industry but if the city/county ever put all their eggs in that basket again they are pure and simply crazy. The demise of Broyhill or rather Furniture Brands International has actually been breathing so life into smaller operations and giving some room to breath in the industry. Bernhardt is actually doing some of the best business its done in a while, starting to expand even. FBI also proved with their demise that cheap Chinese Furniture cost them more than it saved them which is currently serving as a lesson to other furniture manufacturers.

FBI's final blow was when Heritage Homes Group LLC took over which by the way still owns most of the complex. Broyhill and Thomasville Executives learned a few lessons during the decline but couldn't manage to stop the bleeding long enough to implement their plans to save the companies. It didn't help that FBI was in survival mode when HHG took over and basically decided to rape the company for every dime they could before it was too late. What they did was criminal.

FBI and HHG have eliminated close to 10,000 jobs in NC alone over a decade before they sold off everything for every dollar they could get. After reading the article in the News Topic, I cant imagine this mystery company starting from the ground up in Lenoir with only 800,000 initial investment. A handful of machines would cost that in a modern factory. They must be looking at a fully stocked ready to go plant they intend to get for a song which would be the complex.

On a side note and probably unrelated I hear Singer Furniture still exists and is making a comeback to the industry. They are currently located in Jamaica I think but have been looking to expand again. They actually still own property in Lenoir so they have somewhat of an interest here.
Agree

Hickory, NC

#4 Jul 18, 2014
This could be great..
maybe

Black Mountain, NC

#5 Jul 18, 2014
Agree wrote:
This could be great..
It could but I wont hold my breath. The sooner it happens the better though. Many of these old plants wont be profitable unless someone gets in here soon and keeps the maintenance and repairs up. The longer they screw around the less chance it will happen. People are moving on to other things so the skill set is disappearing as well. If any of the Broyhills would decide to resurrect and purchase the family name back it could be a good thing, cant see that happening though.
carolina watchdog

Lenoir, NC

#6 Jul 20, 2014
Another could be, maybe business coming to Lenoir? What happened to the Electric Car plant that they hyped up for so many months. After all the news releases all we ended up with was a Dog Treat Plant.
LOL

Denver, NC

#7 Jul 21, 2014
carolina watchdog wrote:
Another could be, maybe business coming to Lenoir? What happened to the Electric Car plant that they hyped up for so many months. After all the news releases all we ended up with was a Dog Treat Plant.
The company burned them on that one.

But I still don't understand you, why get on here and tear the City/County down when they are trying hard to bring jobs and $$$ back to this area??? It is easy to sit behind a computer and be a little bitch ass, like you. Why don't you get out and help promote this county???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Latest Gallup Poll: Trump - 37% 1 hr TSF 7
Russian Interference in American Elections?? 2 hr TSF 172
🐷State of the UNIOM, Cheeseburger Yum-Y... 13 hr DavidMooseKnuckles 72
Vicky and Waco Want My Man Milk! 13 hr DavidMooseKnuckles 66
State Of The Onion? McDonalds Onion Rings and ... 13 hr DavidMooseKnuckles 71
🐄 your moms milk is tasty 🐄 16 hr DocMooseKnuckle 205
State of the Milk Address! Victoria, Waco, Milk! 16 hr DocMooseKnuckle 78

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance