Eastside Baptist changes name, adopts...

Eastside Baptist changes name, adopts fresh approach to worshipping

There are 63 comments on the McDowell News story from Jan 21, 2012, titled Eastside Baptist changes name, adopts fresh approach to worshipping. In it, McDowell News reports that:

As 2011 drew to a close and 2012 approached, billboards popped up around McDowell announcing an important event on 1-1-12. Soon the mystery was over: Eastside Baptist Church in Nebo changed its name of 34 years and became known as Nebo Crossing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at McDowell News.

Former Member

Marion, NC

#21 Jan 22, 2012
cheeriosRnotdonutseeds wrote:
<quoted text>
They are trying to get people interested and excited about church. I'm sure they're not perfect but really, is any one or any church perfect? No. They just do the best the can. I, as well as hopefully many others can appreciate their efforts.
Theyre also talking of cutting out certain services. Ritter has said hes stopping his visits to hospitals. He spends all his time at the buisness of the family that fills his pocket. I guess a name change, big screen tvs and a coffee shop is a reason to get excited about church these days. All these new "exciting" changes sound like a cover up for some insecurities. Kind of like the guy who has to buy the big fast car to cover for his short comings.
Michelle Lynn

Powell, OH

#22 Jan 22, 2012
I'm excited about the changes at Eastside/Nebo Crossing and want to visit them sometime in the future. I hope they aren't Independent Fundamental Baptist anymore. I hope they accept people using non-KJV Bibles also.

“blah”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#23 Jan 22, 2012
Former Member wrote:
<quoted text>Theyre also talking of cutting out certain services. Ritter has said hes stopping his visits to hospitals. He spends all his time at the buisness of the family that fills his pocket. I guess a name change, big screen tvs and a coffee shop is a reason to get excited about church these days. All these new "exciting" changes sound like a cover up for some insecurities. Kind of like the guy who has to buy the big fast car to cover for his short comings.
Interesting pov. What kinda church do you prefer?

“yanking chains. ”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#24 Jan 22, 2012
Michelle Lynn wrote:
I'm excited about the changes at Eastside/Nebo Crossing and want to visit them sometime in the future. I hope they aren't Independent Fundamental Baptist anymore. I hope they accept people using non-KJV Bibles also.
Hey, this reminds me of an old joke:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern ConservativeĀ†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
Former Member

Marion, NC

#25 Jan 22, 2012
A church without a self centered Pastor whos only interested in his own personal agenda. An old fashion church where a Pastor is more interested in the preachings on the Bible instead of himself, where hes been, who hes talked to and not trying to make himself seem bigger than the church. Its not too much to ask

“yanking chains. ”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#26 Jan 22, 2012
That's the great thing about McDowell county. Don't like your church? There's 20 more right around the corner.
no dog in the fight

United States

#27 Jan 22, 2012
Former Member wrote:
A church without a self centered Pastor whos only interested in his own personal agenda. An old fashion church where a Pastor is more interested in the preachings on the Bible instead of himself, where hes been, who hes talked to and not trying to make himself seem bigger than the church. Its not too much to ask
Try First Pres.
Blair Perry

Charlotte, NC

#28 Jan 23, 2012
Former Member wrote:
Agreed, but at the same time you do want an educated leader. Waking up one morning and deciding you don't want to be a mechanic any longer is not a call to preach. Small towns tend to have more than a few of those.
Redneck Roy

Nebo, NC

#29 Jan 23, 2012
Former Member wrote:
That place and the responsible parties are not blessed and that church will not be blessed. All the behind the scene activity, the attitudes and the way the church is being run is sickening. They had to change the name to hide the past reputation. I guess they will be changing the name again in a few years.
You must not have been a good member or you would still be there or maybe they threw you out cause you was bad to judge people I know all people there cant be going to hell

“blah”

Location hidden

#30 Jan 23, 2012
Well good luck to you, but seriously do you think it's ok to come on here bashing a church? I mean why not just let the people who love that church and who want to go there enjoy themselves?
Michelle Lynn

Powell, OH

#31 Jan 23, 2012
Former Member wrote:
Uh, in most of the "old fashioned" churches I've been in, the preachers are more interested in how long the dresses on the women are, what version of the Bible you use, what kind of music you listen to, what kind of TV shows you watch (if you're even brave enough to have a satanic TV machine in your house), how much you tithe, how often you proselyze, how often you skip your kids' birthdays to attend church functions, calling everyone different than your group "wicked", and gossipi... er, "giving a prayer request" about how wicked the church across the street is for allowing a divorced single mother to join their church, rather than following what the Bible actually teaches about love, mercy, and grace.

Not true in every situation, but this has been my general observation.
Former Member

United States

#32 Jan 23, 2012
Redneck Roy wrote:
<quoted text> You must not have been a good member or you would still be there or maybe they threw you out cause you was bad to judge people I know all people there cant be going to hell
Sorry Redneck but when I saw what transpired with the last Pastor and all the changes that started to happen that I thought were more going towards a popularity contest, I along with some others thought it was time to go.
Former Member

United States

#33 Jan 23, 2012
cheeriosRnotdonutseeds wrote:
Well good luck to you, but seriously do you think it's ok to come on here bashing a church? I mean why not just let the people who love that church and who want to go there enjoy themselves?
Uh ok. Didnt know I was shutting the place down. If I dont approve of something then I will voice my opinion. If I know things are going on there that have no place in a church enviroment then I will voice my opinion. If I know for a fact that a certain person or persons is not being honest then I will voice my opinion. If you go there and see otherwise then voice your opinion.

“blah”

Location hidden

#34 Jan 23, 2012
Michelle Lynn wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, in most of the "old fashioned" churches I've been in, the preachers are more interested in how long the dresses on the women are, what version of the Bible you use, what kind of music you listen to, what kind of TV shows you watch (if you're even brave enough to have a satanic TV machine in your house), how much you tithe, how often you proselyze, how often you skip your kids' birthdays to attend church functions, calling everyone different than your group "wicked", and gossipi... er, "giving a prayer request" about how wicked the church across the street is for allowing a divorced single mother to join their church, rather than following what the Bible actually teaches about love, mercy, and grace.

Not true in every situation, but this has been my general observation.
Exactly!

“blah”

Location hidden

#35 Jan 23, 2012
Former Member wrote:
<quoted text>Uh ok. Didnt know I was shutting the place down. If I dont approve of something then I will voice my opinion. If I know things are going on there that have no place in a church enviroment then I will voice my opinion. If I know for a fact that a certain person or persons is not being honest then I will voice my opinion. If you go there and see otherwise then voice your opinion.
Everyone lies. You don't have to like the place but why do you have such a problem with those who do?

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#36 Jan 23, 2012
This classic clip reminds me of most preachers when they "talk to God"

Qualified

Asheville, NC

#37 Jan 24, 2012
Former Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Redneck but when I saw what transpired with the last Pastor and all the changes that started to happen that I thought were more going towards a popularity contest, I along with some others thought it was time to go.
What DID happen with the last Pastor? There have been hints in the two blogs about Eastside Baptist Church, but no one has said.
Former Member

United States

#38 Jan 25, 2012
What I heard and it may/may not be true is that he used church money to buy his own farming/grading equipment. There were outside issues as well but doubt that played a role in him having to leave.

“That'll shut her up!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#39 Jan 25, 2012
I'm going next Sunday. They say I can do anything I want and all I have to do is ask forgiveness and I'm good to go. Plus that preacher is HOT.
Cain

Burnsville, NC

#40 Jan 25, 2012
If a member would post what time is sunday morning sevice I'm coming too. I am trying to get Newt to come also about all his lying. Casey if you would save me a seat it would be a pleasure to put my hand on your knee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wanna be gangster girls at case farms 1 hr LeleFROMthedowell 4
please report all foodstamp fraud. 8 hr John 2
Loud Booms at 4am? Wed Becky 3
Completely nude sunbathing chick Wed Scooter 4
does anyone not care about whats going on at st... Jul 26 Dangalang 4
guinea pig Jul 26 old patient 1
News Morganton Development Readies for Customers Jul 25 Disappointed 2

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance