Eastside Baptist changes name, adopts fresh approach to worshipping

Jan 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: McDowell News

As 2011 drew to a close and 2012 approached, billboards popped up around McDowell announcing an important event on 1-1-12. Soon the mystery was over: Eastside Baptist Church in Nebo changed its name of 34 years and became known as Nebo Crossing.

Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Nov 25, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Duh

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

Judged:

All ideas are not always good ideas. Its their church and they can call it anything they want to call it. My question is will Jesus still be able to find them on the last day?
docnbox

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

Its better than deer crossing.
Former Member

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

Judged:

That place and the responsible parties are not blessed and that church will not be blessed. All the behind the scene activity, the attitudes and the way the church is being run is sickening. They had to change the name to hide the past reputation. I guess they will be changing the name again in a few years.

“blah”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

At least they're trying to make a difference. It's got to be better than most of the ultra conservative judgmental churches this county is riddled with. I say way to go nebo crossing!
bbc

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

cheeriosRnotdonutseeds wrote:
At least they're trying to make a difference. It's got to be better than most of the ultra conservative judgmental churches this county is riddled with. I say way to go nebo crossing!
The pastor is an "ultra conservative judgmental liar".
Read his blog about meeting the president then read the accounts of what actually happened. He could have told the truth rather than make up the self congratulatory account that never happened. Wonder why he feels the need to lie? I don't think the Lord appreciates people lying in order to "make a difference".
Former Member

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

What is this difference they are making? Please explain.
just a thought

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

A church shouldn't need to be flashy to get people to attend. The Bible says to go out into the highways and the hedges, not sit in church with your fancy computer and power point program. I don't know about this church, I don't go there, but it seems to me that too many organized religions are trying to bribe people to attend with breakfasts and such. Church is supposed to be about Jesus NOT flashy and how much money you can get out of people.
Money machine

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

This church is nothing but a money machine!

“Second Coming LOL”

Since: Jan 12

Bethlehem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

just a thought wrote:
A church shouldn't need to be flashy to get people to attend. The Bible says to go out into the highways and the hedges, not sit in church with your fancy computer and power point program. I don't know about this church, I don't go there, but it seems to me that too many organized religions are trying to bribe people to attend with breakfasts and such. Church is supposed to be about Jesus NOT flashy and how much money you can get out of people.

Whoa bro. Jesus likes breakfast. And fellowship, which usually comes with breakfast. I remember the days when churches were lit by candles and oil lamps. Electricity didn't change the message. Neither did indoor plumbing. Technology makes it easier to spread the word, especially to the younger generations of today. Now the message being given, Jesus is going to keep a close eye on that. So's my brother S.

Since: Jan 12

Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

All over it JC. Looks like the good people have their eye on this one. These are always fun lol.

“yanking chains. ”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Former Member wrote:
That place and the responsible parties are not blessed and that church will not be blessed. All the behind the scene activity, the attitudes and the way the church is being run is sickening. They had to change the name to hide the past reputation. I guess they will be changing the name again in a few years.
poken like a "True Christian ™ "

“yanking chains. ”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Spoken like a "True Christian ™ "

Sorry for the typo.

Though poken is kinda funny too too if you take it in the right context, now that I think of it...
Rainbow

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

just read his Sunday interview in today's paper. I hate preachers like him, He makes statements about the renaming the church. " it describes what I think God would want us to do " seriously does he have God / The Jesus's cell phone number? Hey god I think we need to do this , Hey God I think we need to jump up and down. Hey god a lot of Church's have Bands and I think you don't want us to have one. He wants to Market his church, East Side was just not a Fancy enough Name for him and that was the name Preacher long used and God wants this Church to be about him and his vision.
He is a young Jerk of a Preacher just like the preacher at the First Baptist church in town. Just as soon as he took over he wanted to spend money on crazy things and he wanted to travel on the church's $$ with the facade of doing gods work in mississippi and foreign countries. When asked why he didn't practice what he preached ( re building and repairing homes and sharing the word ) within 5 miles of his church his reply was " Those people don't appreciate our work and they don't take care of their homes anyway" He has soft hands and most of his sermons sound the same because he takes them from the webb.
At least The old east Side church has had a increase in membership , The baptist church has not, it's been a long time since I have seen the down town streets full of cars on a Saturday night and the Baptist church full of people celebrating a wedding. He sucks
True

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

It's true! We have fixed up locals houses without so much as a thank u! Then they end up in jail! We have had people sell the newly install windows we put in their houses so they could buy drugs! Kinda spoils the good deed doesn't it!
bbc

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

This is how Pastor Ritter described his meeting with Obama at Countryside BarBQ:

"As I have been calling the men of our church to be courageous men, God allowed me an opportunity to either practice what I preach or cower in passivity.
I knew I was about to be afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity. Should I voice my many concerns about his policies and the absence of God in his many decisions? As I looked around the room, I wondered what would the people in my small town think if I disagreed vocally with the President?
I decided then and there that today I would look for any opportunity to be courageous and voice my heart for right.
In a few courageous minutes with the President and with the press, I had voiced my concerns.
I had been courageous and believing God was pleased with the way I had represented Him.

This is how the Wall Street Journal described Pastor Ritter's conversation with Obama:

The president posed for a photograph with four women in Native American costumes who had just performed “Geronimo” with the McDowell County senior line dancers.

“He said he thought it was just wonderful what we were doing,” Jewell Randolph, 78 years old, of Marion, told a pool reporter.

Mr. Obama promised a group of paramedics, who were wearing their uniforms, that he’s pushing for a jobs plan that’ll help them avoid layoffs, according to one of them, 38-year-old Chad Robinson. He got an earful on regulations from Dan Kuehnert, a lawyer, who pressed the president to cut them back.

Pastor Bob Ritter of Eastside Baptist Church told Mr. Obama that he and his parishioners pray for him.

“And he said he believes in the power of prayer,” Mr. Ritter said, recounting his conversation with the president.“He said he was trying to get some jobs to the area, so that’s good to hear.’’

“blah”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Former Member wrote:
<quoted text>What is this difference they are making? Please explain.
They are trying to get people interested and excited about church. I'm sure they're not perfect but really, is any one or any church perfect? No. They just do the best the can. I, as well as hopefully many others can appreciate their efforts.

“blah”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

bbc wrote:
<quoted text>The pastor is an "ultra conservative judgmental liar".
Read his blog about meeting the president then read the accounts of what actually happened. He could have told the truth rather than make up the self congratulatory account that never happened. Wonder why he feels the need to lie? I don't think the Lord appreciates people lying in order to "make a difference".
You don't worship the pastor, you worship God.
Blair Perry

Stanfield, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

Rainbow said" I hate preachers like him,". That one statement tells us all we need to know about you and invalidates anything you try to convey.
bbc

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

<quoted text>
You don't worship the pastor, you worship God.
You must not have read the newspaper article.
The article is about the changes at the church not about "worshiping God".
The pastor did tell the reporter he has a blog where he comments on various subjects, including his brief talk with President Obama at Countryside Barbecue.

“blah”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

I haven't read it. I will and get back to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Morganton Discussions

Search the Morganton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 min Delinger 56,224
Town of Hudson- Alcohol Vote 1 hr Just saying 34
Budget Friendly Child Custody Lawyer 1 hr Not Impressed 14
Did you all miss me (Nov '08) 1 hr Smokey and the Bandit 6
Gay marriage is on its way, folks. 1 hr SoIncrediblyGay 1
Meth Dealers 3 hr Oh well 27
Dos Amigos 3 hr caldwelldude213 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Morganton Jobs

•••