no praying at public meetings
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#21 Nov 11, 2013
[QUOTE who="say what?"]<quoted text>
It is called freedom of religion for a reason and not called freedom of Christianity . All religions should have equal representation when addressing public prayer as you mentioned. Personally I'm agnostic , not to be confused with atheist, which basically means I am not sure what I believe. I feel personal beliefs should be kept personal or at least allow all faiths the same opportunity for public displays of prayer and stop trying to redefine the term religion as the overall meaning of Christianity
[/QUOTE]

Jesus instructed us not to be like the Pharisees who liked to make a public spectacle over prayer. He instructed that when you pray to pray in private to the Father who hears your prayers. Many people advocating prayer at public meetings should maybe consider this wisdom from Christ himself.
say what?

Newland, NC

#22 Nov 11, 2013
State of Florida wrote:
It is called freedom of religion for a reason and not called freedom of Christianity . All religions should have equal representation when addressing public prayer as you mentioned. Personally I'm agnostic , not to be confused with atheist, which basically means I am not sure what I believe. I feel personal beliefs should be kept personal or at least allow all faiths the same opportunity for public displays of prayer and stop trying to redefine the term religion as the overall meaning of Christianity
"

Jesus instructed us not to be like the Pharisees who liked to make a public spectacle over prayer. He instructed that when you pray to pray in private to the Father who hears your prayers. Many people advocating prayer at public meetings should maybe consider this wisdom from Christ himself.
Not much more can be said, you quoted directly from the official source of Christianity. Excellent fact.
Educated

Hickory, NC

#23 Nov 12, 2013
They are called "Public" meetings for a reason - for the public. This means that all citizens, regardless of ethnic background, wealthy or impoverished, gay or straight, religious or not - are to be recognized. For this simple definition it is imperative that prayer to any religious figure NOT be allowed.
That being said - if you want to pray to some invisble man in the sky, based on ancient superstitions - DO IT AT HOME!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#24 Nov 12, 2013
Educated wrote:
They are called "Public" meetings for a reason - for the public. This means that all citizens, regardless of ethnic background, wealthy or impoverished, gay or straight, religious or not - are to be recognized. For this simple definition it is imperative that prayer to any religious figure NOT be allowed.
That being said - if you want to pray to some invisble man in the sky, based on ancient superstitions - DO IT AT HOME!
I'm educated old boy.I'll pray where I choose, admittedly that is when I'm alone, usually.State made an excellent point.However, telling me my belief is superstitious is what I call an"opinion " Rather incendiary, at that. Muslims are a bit more aggressive, when someone calls their faith"superstitious" .I have an opinion on you, and your lack of faith, but I don't need to publish that, do I?
Educated

Hickory, NC

#25 Nov 12, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm educated old boy.I'll pray where I choose, admittedly that is when I'm alone, usually.State made an excellent point.However, telling me my belief is superstitious is what I call an"opinion " Rather incendiary, at that. Muslims are a bit more aggressive, when someone calls their faith"superstitious" .I have an opinion on you, and your lack of faith, but I don't need to publish that, do I?
I could really care less about your opinion of me. And while I agree with your statement about muslims,their overall attitude of righteousness is aligned with christians.
As for my "opinion" of a christian god being borne of superstition and folklore - there are far too many scientific facts to prove any religious notion as just that. What gives anybody else the right to post a statement on Topix about jesus or their god, or stand on the street corner yelling at my children "that they are going to hell" over my views?

If you are really an open-minded, educated person, read Sam Harris' book "Letter To A Christian Nation." I don't expect you to fully agree with all of the points made in the book, but there are many irrefutable facts stated in it that might provide some insight to the "opinions' of others.
say what?

Newland, NC

#26 Nov 12, 2013
Educated wrote:
<quoted text>I could really care less about your opinion of me. And while I agree with your statement about muslims,their overall attitude of righteousness is aligned with christians.
As for my "opinion" of a christian god being borne of superstition and folklore - there are far too many scientific facts to prove any religious notion as just that. What gives anybody else the right to post a statement on Topix about jesus or their god, or stand on the street corner yelling at my children "that they are going to hell" over my views?

If you are really an open-minded, educated person, read Sam Harris' book "Letter To A Christian Nation." I don't expect you to fully agree with all of the points made in the book, but there are many irrefutable facts stated in it that might provide some insight to the "opinions' of others.
Religion is just that, an opinion, regardless of ones beliefs. The great divides in religions are due the fact the opinions are passed on generation to generation , predominately region to region or country to country. Most people truly never had a choice of exploring other religions or options, esp in the south where Christianity is dominate and from childhood you are taught any other form of religion is wrong, which is no different than the middle eastern kids being force fed Islam. Unfortunately most people know very little of religions outside their own beliefs and surprisingly the different religions do not vary as much as you think when looking at the overall picture. People should just be much less critical of other religions or lack of religion because truth be known, nobody and I mean nobody knows for certain and if the answers were that clear cut, then we would only have one religion that every person would follow. So until that happens, it's all opinions and interpretations at best.

Location hidden

#27 Nov 12, 2013
Religion is just that, an opinion, regardless of ones beliefs. The great divides in religions are due the fact the opinions are passed on generation to generation , predominately region to region or country to country. Most people truly never had a choice of exploring other religions or options, esp in the south where Christianity is dominate and from childhood you are taught any other form of religion is wrong, which is no different than the middle eastern kids being force fed Islam. UnfIortunately most people know very little of religions outside their own beliefs and surprisingly the different religions do not vary as much as you think when looking at the overall picture. People should just be much less critical of other religions or lack of religion because truth be known, nobody and I mean nobody knows for certain and if the answers were that clear cut, then we would only have one religion that every person would follow. So until that happens, it's all opinions and interpretations at best.[/QUOTE] While we're all being tolerant, maybe the non-believers could refrain from their smart remarks.No one is more critical than atheists.Right now Christians are being killed all over the world, for their faith.Not a believer? Great.No complaints from me.I'll believe what I want, I don't shove my beliefs down anyones throat.Neither do I need any opinions on my faith.Topix is a free shot.If someone wants to tell me that my faith is a fairytale, they should have the guts to do it to my face.

Location hidden

#28 Nov 12, 2013
Educated wrote:
<quoted text>
I could really care less about your opinion of me. And while I agree with your statement about muslims,their overall attitude of righteousness is aligned with christians.
My"opinion"of you? How could I have an opinion of you?I don't know you.Neither do I scream at people that they are going to hell! I take care of MY FAITH, no one elses.The religious"fakers"do More damage to Christianity than anyone else.They are the ones who flaunt their moral superiority like fools every chance they get.For every REAL CHRISTIAN, there are a thousand fakers, who will succeed only in making people despise Christianity.I'm sorry they have done this to you.I pray only in private.I wish you could know how this feels, but the fakers, the ones who scream that you are"bad", are truly evil people, bent on nothing more than self aggrandizement.I don't have the words for this, I wish I did.Good luck to you, anyway.
say what?

Newland, NC

#29 Nov 12, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
Religion is just that, an opinion, regardless of ones beliefs. The great divides in religions are due the fact the opinions are passed on generation to generation , predominately region to region or country to country. Most people truly never had a choice of exploring other religions or options, esp in the south where Christianity is dominate and from childhood you are taught any other form of religion is wrong, which is no different than the middle eastern kids being force fed Islam. UnfIortunately most people know very little of religions outside their own beliefs and surprisingly the different religions do not vary as much as you think when looking at the overall picture. People should just be much less critical of other religions or lack of religion because truth be known, nobody and I mean nobody knows for certain and if the answers were that clear cut, then we would only have one religion that every person would follow. So until that happens, it's all opinions and interpretations at best. "

While we're all being tolerant, maybe the non-believers could refrain from their smart remarks.No one is more critical than atheists.Right now Christians are being killed all over the world, for their faith.Not a believer? Great.No complaints from me.I'll believe what I want, I don't shove my beliefs down anyones throat.Neither do I need any opinions on my faith.Topix is a free shot.If someone wants to tell me that my faith is a fairytale, they should have the guts to do it to my face.
Yes, it should be a right to hold ones own opinion without ridicule of others.
Local

Mooresville, NC

#30 Nov 12, 2013
So If I tell you to your face that your religion is a fairy tale... what would you do? Hit me? Fight me? Stab me? What is the difference between saying it here, and saying it to your face? This is a FORUM. An open forum. It's for people to spout off nonsense whenever they feel like it.

But I can assure you, if you came to me, sat down, had a cup of coffee and started talking to me about religion, I would absolutely tell you I think your religion is false, because I do. Why wouldn't I?

On the other hand, if we were discussing sports, I doubt I would have any need or desire to say that.

Location hidden

#31 Nov 12, 2013
Local wrote:
So If I tell you to your face that your religion is a fairy tale... what would you do? Hit me? Fight me? Stab me? What is the difference between saying it here, and saying it to your face? This is a FORUM. An open forum. It's for people to spout off nonsense whenever they feel like it.
But I can assure you, if you came to me, sat down, had a cup of coffee and started talking to me about religion, I would absolutely tell you I think your religion is false, because I do. Why wouldn't I?
On the other hand, if we were discussing sports, I doubt I would have any need or desire to say that.
Topix, like I said, is a free shot.My faith is personal, I don't need your comments, one way or another.For instance, telling me that my faith is a farce, would be akin to me telling you that your mom was a prostitute.I'm not telling you what to believe, neither would i comment on your atheism if I met you personally, unless you asked me to.Let me ask you this, straight out.If you were sitting next to a real Muslim, would you pop of and say, that his religion was a fairytale?

Location hidden

#32 Nov 12, 2013
No,"Local", I would not hit you.Goes against my beliefs.Self defense however, is not against my strictures.The funny thing about atheists, is that they aren't happy being atheists, they want everyone to be an atheist.They smugly tell someone, that they aren't going for childish religion, as if they are the first person to ever say such a"cool"thing. Want to be an atheist? Be one! Just leave me alone.I'll do the same for you.I'm not here to convince you of a thing.Neither do I condemn you for your atheism.
Ben

Greer, SC

#33 Nov 13, 2013
Age OLD debate. "Theology
noun \th&#275;-&#712;-l &#601;-j&#275;\

: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience : the study of God and God's relation to the world

: a system of religious beliefs or ideas" Why is it that humans can not accept that fact. BUT, Jesus wanted people to "believe". I wonder what Mohammad wanted.
Local

Mooresville, NC

#34 Nov 13, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
No,"Local", I would not hit you.Goes against my beliefs.Self defense however, is not against my strictures.The funny thing about atheists, is that they aren't happy being atheists, they want everyone to be an atheist.They smugly tell someone, that they aren't going for childish religion, as if they are the first person to ever say such a"cool"thing. Want to be an atheist? Be one! Just leave me alone.I'll do the same for you.I'm not here to convince you of a thing.Neither do I condemn you for your atheism.
I don't want you to be an atheist. I mean if you want to be one, that's great, but it's not my job to make you an atheist. If you like being a Christian, be one. I was only illustrating that, while I'm not going to walk up to you at random and say "your religion is false" I'm not going to hide it either. If for some reason we got into a religious debate, yes, I would tell you that. I'm not overbearing, but I also don't mince words. Do I believe in my heart that your religion is false? Yes, of course I do. I'm an atheist. That's the nature of the beast. Doesn't mean I think less of you. Just means I disagree with that part of you.

On the subject of a Muslim. Yes, I absolutely would tell them, IF THEY ASKED. I don't make special exeptions. Granted... that's in the US. I believe we have more moderate Muslims here in the US. The extremists in the middle east... well.. let's just say... as an atheist... I'm steering clear of the middle east. Lol.
say what?

Newland, NC

#35 Nov 13, 2013
I found it interesting however not unexpected several religious organizations have now disassociated themselves with the "Duck Dynasty" brand recently because of the wine the brand now sales. Correct me if I am wrong but in the bible did Jesus not turn water into wine as one of the mentioned miracles. Seems like a double standard. Plus when baptist churches have their traditional event, they use grape juice to represent wine. Pretending to use wine and using wine is the same thing technically to me. When wine is used so often in the bible why are churches so against it if used in moderation. If wine was ok for Jesus why do the churches deny its use, seems like that is unbiblical.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#36 Nov 13, 2013
Why is it that most Republican conservatives are so much in favor to push prayer at public meetings, and also to pray only to the God that they believe in, but not the God of other faiths?
Just Curious

United States

#37 Nov 13, 2013
I do not know the face of God. I have been very close to something at times in my life. I meditate to feel that feeling a rush, a feeling of being in the presence of something far more powerful than me. Am I crazy, am I a fool only someone to be made fun of..no I don't think so I would desire everyone of you to feel that presence.

I have no sympathy for the ones that make lite of another persons God or the way they communicate with their God. I have no sympathy for the Muslims that kill and maim their on people, to kill just one American. I don't afford the killers of others just because they think they are right to kill their own and others in the name of Allah.

when others are praying I use their words as a spiritual chant to seek my sanctuary, I pity the people that never know or have lost their belief in a Higher conscientiousness.

Is it so bad to pray, no not in my world. Don't put so much importance in yourselves. We are so insignificant.

22,000 days and nights that's all we got.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#38 Nov 13, 2013
Just Curious wrote:
I do not know the face of God. I have been very close to something at times in my life. I meditate to feel that feeling a rush, a feeling of being in the presence of something far more powerful than me. Am I crazy, am I a fool only someone to be made fun of..no I don't think so I would desire everyone of you to feel that presence.
I have no sympathy for the ones that make lite of another persons God or the way they communicate with their God. I have no sympathy for the Muslims that kill and maim their on people, to kill just one American. I don't afford the killers of others just because they think they are right to kill their own and others in the name of Allah.
when others are praying I use their words as a spiritual chant to seek my sanctuary, I pity the people that never know or have lost their belief in a Higher conscientiousness.
Is it so bad to pray, no not in my world. Don't put so much importance in yourselves. We are so insignificant.
22,000 days and nights that's all we got.
I am just having some difficulty in understanding exactly what you are trying to convey.
Just Curious

United States

#39 Nov 13, 2013
Wine was accidental. People drank it not knowing the torment that alcohol could cause. It made them feel good too. Jesus did according to the Bible,turned water into wine. Jesus was no drunk and wine is not bad in moderation.

Moderation is key to life a little this, a little of that and you will be okay. The extremes will get you every time. Too much heavy grease will clog your arteries,Too much religion and you are a fanatic, too smart and everybody else is a dumba$$.

If it don't hurt me physically I am smart enough that I aint gonna let it drive me crazy either.
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#40 Nov 13, 2013
Just Curious wrote:
Wine was accidental. People drank it not knowing the torment that alcohol could cause. It made them feel good too. Jesus did according to the Bible,turned water into wine. Jesus was no drunk and wine is not bad in moderation.
Moderation is key to life a little this, a little of that and you will be okay. The extremes will get you every time. Too much heavy grease will clog your arteries,Too much religion and you are a fanatic, too smart and everybody else is a dumba$$.
If it don't hurt me physically I am smart enough that I aint gonna let it drive me crazy either.
That is my unofficial religion. "A little of this and a little of that." And I also practice it in moderation. I celebrate all religion's sacred holidays, but then, also practice none. Wine is my chosen celbration beverage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Victoria microwaves kitten 25 min Doc 22
The Nastiest Confederate Monument 33 min waco1909 3
Haunted places in Lenoir (Jul '09) 35 min waco1909 102
Bannon says Rock's alt-Right are *losers* 38 min waco1909 2
Morganton Graffiti 9 hr Moose Knuckle 1
The Confederate courthouse Statue Has Got To Go! 21 hr The Green Watch Dog 4
Joey mosteller Wed Piere 1

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance