Guess the $$ amount spent

Posted in the Morganton Forum

Debit not credit

Clover, SC

#1 May 26, 2013
OK scolders, this is a legitimate question and one that will be asked again the closer election day arrives.

Anyone have an idea or know the dollar amount our infamous Sheriff Office has cost the taxpayers of Caldwell ? Will taxpayers ever know? Is it more than Mecklenburg and Gaston counties combined with Wake, Iredell and Catawba?(Combined) Or are we better to guess how many licks it takes to get to center of the Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?
say what??

Charlotte, NC

#2 May 26, 2013
Debit not credit wrote:
OK scolders, this is a legitimate question and one that will be asked again the closer election day arrives.

Anyone have an idea or know the dollar amount our infamous Sheriff Office has cost the taxpayers of Caldwell ? Will taxpayers ever know? Is it more than Mecklenburg and Gaston counties combined with Wake, Iredell and Catawba?(Combined) Or are we better to guess how many licks it takes to get to center of the Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?
I would like to know myself.. It seems the words "undisclosed settlement" abound yet we as taxpayers have a right to know. This should be public record but no one seems to even know which accounts these settlements are being paid from. Is it the CCSD budget, county budget, liability insurance coverage or does the county have a slush fund for the type payment?? Where is the money coming from and why is it not available for public confirmation ?? It's our money, we have a right to know.
Icey waters

Rock Hill, SC

#3 May 26, 2013
I agree. And where does the money come from to pay for the famous out of town stays. JONES is not around, he's out of town.(New campaign slogan)

Is this necessary nonstop? Are the trips swinging trips? What's so important elsewhere? This county seems to be a sitting duck if any organization of organized crime wanted to pull off a county wide heist, they could. All Mr no show JONES and his secrets of never being around makes this place a free for all.
say what??

Ridgeway, SC

#4 May 26, 2013
Icey waters wrote:
I agree. And where does the money come from to pay for the famous out of town stays. JONES is not around, he's out of town.(New campaign slogan)

Is this necessary nonstop? Are the trips swinging trips? What's so important elsewhere? This county seems to be a sitting duck if any organization of organized crime wanted to pull off a county wide heist, they could. All Mr no show JONES and his secrets of never being around makes this place a free for all.
My question is" who writes the check"?? Somewhere in the system a checks and balance system must exist.. No one seems to ever have knowledge concerning the settlement amounts or the cost of trips/educational expenses but the dept does not ability to issue payment. Someone at the county office makes these payments and surely anything outside the standard operating expenses must be approved by either a county manager or commissioner.. I can guarantee many more people know what's going on than it appears, if not we have a total breakdown in accountability on a county level concerning finance..
D nightshift

Lenoir, NC

#6 May 26, 2013
Lois Lane 1 wrote:
You are the only FCK'ing Crime in town. Your day will come. Sleep with one FCK'ing eye open!
Bring it cause being a nightshift person I stay awake all night.... then again if you know who I am you know better than to come to me although I really wish you would. c ya when I c ya chief.
Icey waters

Rock Hill, SC

#7 May 26, 2013
[QUOTE who="say what??"]<quoted text>
My question is" who writes the check"?? Somewhere in the system a checks and balance system must exist.. No one seems to ever have knowledge concerning the settlement amounts or the cost of trips/educational expenses but the dept does not ability to issue payment. Someone at the county office makes these payments and surely anything outside the standard operating expenses must be approved by either a county manager or commissioner.. I can guarantee many more people know what's going on than it appears, if not we have a total breakdown in accountability on a county level concerning finance..[/QUOTE]

I agree! When you ask anything about anything it's as if asked in Swahili. Where are these amounts? They have got to exist. Ate the liabilities companies writing them?
say what??

Ridgeway, SC

#8 May 26, 2013
Icey waters wrote:
My question is" who writes the check"?? Somewhere in the system a checks and balance system must exist.. No one seems to ever have knowledge concerning the settlement amounts or the cost of trips/educational expenses but the dept does not ability to issue payment. Someone at the county office makes these payments and surely anything outside the standard operating expenses must be approved by either a county manager or commissioner.. I can guarantee many more people know what's going on than it appears, if not we have a total breakdown in accountability on a county level concerning finance.. "

I agree! When you ask anything about anything it's as if asked in Swahili. Where are these amounts? They have got to exist. Ate the liabilities companies writing them?
Even if the settlements are underwritten by the liability carrier a large deductible still must be covered by the county on each occurrence and secondly, I question how much if any have the settlements increased the rate of insurance for the county. We have all dealt with insurance companies enough to know one small settlement on their part means increased rates for the insured for years to come..
Icey waters

Rock Hill, SC

#9 May 26, 2013
Lois Lane 1 wrote:
You are the only FCK'ing Crime in town. Your day will come. Sleep with one FCK'ing eye open!
I cannot sleep with just 1 eye open.....you don't scare me therefore we all sleep SOUNDLY any time you threaten anyone you Rambo keyboard warrior. If anything you put everyone into a yawn, like high school. You social reject.
Icey waters

Rock Hill, SC

#10 May 26, 2013
Even if the settlements are underwritten by the liability carrier a large deductible still must be covered by the county on each occurrence and secondly, I question how much if any have the settlements increased the rate of insurance for the county. We have all dealt with insurance companies enough to know one small settlement on their part means increased rates for the insured for years to come..[/QUOTE]

Like, everything else in this ridiculous excuse for a county, its hush hush. The best thing for this County is to dissolve into 3 parts. Part Watauga, Part Burke and Catawba so something can happen and change here. Finally. These sorry commissioners that grandpop and grandma went to school with are dragging us into the mud to a slow death. Progress meets Tradition? What the hell does that even mean? UNTIL some of these old people get educated on how to vote, who made millions on your stupidity (JONES, Barlow) this place sits going nowhere. A short drive to any surrounding county and why do you feel as if you left an island in Mexico whose selling yardsale items everywhere you turn....with each sale to feed a family of 20. A little dramatic? Walk around DSS and look at whose applying etc. Really are we that far off? 2 weeks ago this site was at its seams wanting food and answers. You never hear Watauga, Burke or Catawba going through such nonsense. Sheriff dept spending .....those counties wouldn't keep spending such a secret. THIS ONLY HAPPENS HERE.
say what??

Ridgeway, SC

#11 May 26, 2013
Icey waters wrote:
Even if the settlements are underwritten by the liability carrier a large deductible still must be covered by the county on each occurrence and secondly, I question how much if any have the settlements increased the rate of insurance for the county. We have all dealt with insurance companies enough to know one small settlement on their part means increased rates for the insured for years to come.."

Like, everything else in this ridiculous excuse for a county, its hush hush. The best thing for this County is to dissolve into 3 parts. Part Watauga, Part Burke and Catawba so something can happen and change here. Finally. These sorry commissioners that grandpop and grandma went to school with are dragging us into the mud to a slow death. Progress meets Tradition? What the hell does that even mean? UNTIL some of these old people get educated on how to vote, who made millions on your stupidity (JONES, Barlow) this place sits going nowhere. A short drive to any surrounding county and why do you feel as if you left an island in Mexico whose selling yardsale items everywhere you turn....with each sale to feed a family of 20. A little dramatic? Walk around DSS and look at whose applying etc. Really are we that far off? 2 weeks ago this site was at its seams wanting food and answers. You never hear Watauga, Burke or Catawba going through such nonsense. Sheriff dept spending .....those counties wouldn't keep spending such a secret. THIS ONLY HAPPENS HERE.
I see your point.. In many other places the lines of separation are basically the rich vs the poor, however in Caldwell Co it is more like politicians vs non politicians. It is as if they have no accountability and the general voting public is so uninformed they either vote a straight party ticket because that's what they have always been taught to do or either they vote for what ever name they recognize without truly knowing the candidates platform or performance history.
Icey waters

Morganton, NC

#13 May 27, 2013
It infuriates me how this county is done and ran. You're right though, straight tickets because it's what the preacher does or its your party. JONES has ruined the Republican faith here so maybe the groups visiting the churches about Jones can educate people on how they CAN vote. It's a start. I know they're not happy being made a fool of but this experience with Jones is what this place needed. A hard, EXPENSIVE lesson.

I myself wouldn't mind sitting up a workshop or news event on how pitifully uneducated this County is state wide of all counties, and to inform these poor people they do not have to vote straight ticket. Many believe that's the only way that you can vote! How sad is that? Why isn't it mandatory considering the education levels that people are schooled on how they can vote. Its necessary! Many think they vote how their preacher would vote. Nobody has a brain of their own here when it comes to politics. Probably why Clark and Jones saw the poor, ignorant here and pounced on these trusting people like tigers. Taking them for every dime they've got in the meanwhile like con artists.

What's the average education level here statewide? Even with Google in our midst, I still think statewide we're tops on the list of no education and ignorant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Do You Support For Senate In NC in 2014 1 hr Liberal forever 1,035
Smith Crossroads 5 hr daisy 5
Baton Boy aka Brad Ashley 13 hr justwondering 6
Caldwell County School Board elections 14 hr ok why 7
Buildings on Columbus St. 15 hr Rhonda Mitchell 3
Judge Orders Topix to Identify Anonymous Trolls (Feb '09) 18 hr Liberal forever 113
Red pig in Whitnel 18 hr realistic 8

Morganton Jobs

Morganton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Morganton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Morganton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]