Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Ben

Greer, SC

#53288 May 14, 2014
"Today, however, the Bush administration takes the position that extra-judicial killings of US citizens suspected of terrorist links is perfectly legal." Do you always live in the past?? "The U.S. drone program under President Barack Obama reached its fifth anniversary on Thursday having tallied up an estimated death toll of at least 2,400 people. As the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, a U.K.-based non-profit, details on its website, five years ago the CIA conducted the first drone strikes of the Obama presidency. Although there were reports of suspected "militants" killed, at least 14 civilians also died that day."
State of Florida

Taylorsville, NC

#53289 May 14, 2014
Waco 1954 wrote:
Last time I checked, you have to have ID to get a job.
This obviously discriminates against poor blacks and Hispanics.?????
When did you last try to get a job? I don't recall ever showing my ID.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53290 May 14, 2014
State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
When did you last try to get a job? I don't recall ever showing my ID.
Let me get this right.
You NEVER SHOWED ID to get a job?
Are you like seventy nine years old?
What with computer hacking, terrorist threats, I'm betting things are changing! We live in the days of international fraud.
Every job I ever had, I had to produce an ID.
Remember, these days employers are weeding out felons from the workforce.(Unfair?) In Houston a whole bunch of tow truck drivers lost jobs they'd had for years, when channel 26 ran an expose' of ex-felons actually being employed! Horrors!(Sarcasm). God forgives.
The state doesn't.
You can't rent an apartment anywhere in Houston if you have any kind of BS felony.
Where's the justice?
You know dam* well that is prejudicial against minorities.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53291 May 14, 2014
State call Yellow Cab in Houston.
See if they require ID to hire.
Try Metro in Houston.
See if they require an ID to hire.
Can you finance a car without an ID?
Not likely.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53292 May 14, 2014
I had to testify in a trial last year.
Had to show ID.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53293 May 14, 2014
Ben wrote:
"Today, however, the Bush administration takes the position that extra-judicial killings of US citizens suspected of terrorist links is perfectly legal." Do you always live in the past?? "The U.S. drone program under President Barack Obama reached its fifth anniversary on Thursday having tallied up an estimated death toll of at least 2,400 people. As the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, a U.K.-based non-profit, details on its website, five years ago the CIA conducted the first drone strikes of the Obama presidency. Although there were reports of suspected "militants" killed, at least 14 civilians also died that day."
Huffington Post.
That's where I read the same thing.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53294 May 14, 2014
The World, even Japan, is laughing at the crazy NC republican legislature. Here are some reasons why:

N.C. lawmakers are putting an exclamation point on the line from Forrest Gump:“Stupid is as stupid does.” A bill proposed by two of them that says North Carolina and its counties and towns have the right to establish an official religion is getting the loudest national heehaws at the moment, and deservedly so. This crackpot bill states boldly that though the U.S. Constitution prevents Congress from creating an official religion, that ban does not apply to the states.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53295 May 14, 2014
NC republican stupid legislature

Crime for enforcing federal law

HB518 makes it a state crime for any N.C. public servant – that includes police and judges – or any agent of the U.S. government “or dealer selling any firearm” in the state to enforce or try to enforce any federal law regarding such firearms and ammunition made in the state and that stays within its borders. To do so would be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Not only that, the legislation calls on the N.C. attorney general to “defend a citizen of North Carolina who is prosecuted” by the U.S. government for violating the federal law that lawmakers state in the bill citizens must violate to adhere to state law.

Really? Let’s just take a match and burn taxpayer dollars.
TSF

Angier, NC

#53296 May 14, 2014
Here’s another laugh.

Senate Bill 667 was filed Tuesday. That bill continues the state’s assault on voting rights with this gem: Parents would face a tax penalty if their children register to vote at their college address. The bill with the moniker,“Equalize Voter Rights,” states that “if the voter is a dependent of the voter’s parent or legal guardian, is 18 years of age or older and the voter has registered at an address other than that of the parent or legal guardian, the parent or legal guardian will not be allowed to claim the voter as a dependent for state income tax purposes.”

The bill would also require voters to have their vehicles registered at the same address as their voter registration. That also could cut down on college student registration, since many students maintain their vehicle registration in their home counties.

This bill is clearly aimed at limiting the voting participation of college students who want to exercise their right to vote in the college communities where they live. Among college-age students in the last elections,
TSF

Angier, NC

#53297 May 14, 2014
Don’t stop laughing or crying yet.

There also was this crazy item this week. The state Senate Education Committee approved S337, a bill that not only creates a separate governing board for state charter schools but drops the requirement that those schools have licensed teachers and that they have to run criminal background checks on employees. Bill supporters say charter schools should individually decide how many, if any, certified teachers they should have.

That bill got filed last week so there’s already been time for some national snorting at North Carolina’s expense. A Washington Post blog last Thursday dubbed the bill “scary” and lamented that “the North Carolina legislation may … be in a class by itself when it comes to removing any notion of accountability from charter schools.” Given that the National Association of Charter School Authorizers, the principal trade group for charters, says there’s a need for “tougher laws” governing charters and told USA Today that “it’s time to rein in growth and focus on quality,”
TSF

Angier, NC

#53298 May 14, 2014
I’m not done.

Bill aims to restrict divorce

Another bill that was introduced last week but passed a first reading this week is called the “Healthy Marriage Act.” The bill would make married couples who want to get divorced stay together two years before they can legally go their separate ways. The theory is, according to sponsor Sen. Austin Allran, R-Catawba, that the longer wait (there’s already a one-year wait) will get people to stay together.
Victoria

Fleetwood, NC

#53299 May 14, 2014
Ben wrote:
Apparently you posted this to me. I had a laugh when you wrote that I lived in the past.....especially when your best buddy's rebuttal to a Republican's hit & run and drinking & driving LAST WEEKEND was a reminder of Ted Kennedy. It appears that I am not the one "living in the past" as much as you two are.

Here's the deal about drones. They replace American SOLDIERS who die on the battlefields. It's mighty hypocritical that you point out the number of those killed by drones since Obama took office when the whole damn MESS was one created by YOUR incompetent president. If not for the bad choices made by YOUR guy there would be no need to send in drones so that American lives are spared. And your incompetent president used drones as well. Where were your Right Wingers whining about it then? Hmmm?

People can be against drones all they want. They can act like it is the most evil thing imaginable. But the alternative, at least to me, is horrifically worse.

We have to end Bush's stupid wars. Bush's stupid wars that did nothing but create even more terrorists. You can send AMERICANS in to die ending it, or you can use a drone.
Victoria

Fleetwood, NC

#53301 May 14, 2014
So who watched Frontline last night? Pretty damn fascinating.

If the Republican congress had an OUNCE of integrity they'd be hauling Bush, Cheney & their corrupt cronies in for a REAL investigation of an administration's CRIMES and abuses of our Constitutional rights.

And before the wingers here start pointing fingers at Obama....remember that the Bush cabal, right before he left office, went to Congress and lied their fool heads off to make their CRIMES into LAW. So Obama is not to blame.
Victoria

Fleetwood, NC

#53302 May 14, 2014
TSF wrote:
I’m not done.
Bill aims to restrict divorce
Another bill that was introduced last week but passed a first reading this week is called the “Healthy Marriage Act.” The bill would make married couples who want to get divorced stay together two years before they can legally go their separate ways. The theory is, according to sponsor Sen. Austin Allran, R-Catawba, that the longer wait (there’s already a one-year wait) will get people to stay together.
That right there is a GOP bill to promote more gun violence. ;)

P.S. I like your NC GOP-insanity updates. I wouldn't know about most of them otherwise.
Victoria

Fleetwood, NC

#53303 May 14, 2014
TSF wrote:
I make no judgment about the guilt or innocence of Koresh. I will note that I am not aware of proof the child molestation allegation was true, even though I would not be surprised by anything religious fanatics might do. In any case, blasting the compound with helicopter gunships and bloopers with children inside does not indicate a desire to save the children. Punching vent holes does not indicate a desire to save the children. Using US military against US civilians was illegal at the time. How to explain all those 50 cal holes in the roof ? If they were destroyed by fire, they wouldn't have to be explained. Pulling back, forming a perimeter and starving them out would have made more sense to me. Oh, what if Koresh had decided to kill his own people? How would that be any different from what actually happened?
Naturally, I am against the rape of little girls , or anyone else for that matter. I am also against burning little girls or anyone else alive.
<quoted text>
Okay, here's the deal. I have no firsthand knowledge of this event. And I am doing my best to try and research it further and get some sort of picture of what exactly went on. I am having trouble doing that because all I can find are RW conspiracy websites that use this episode to emphasize their already strong positions on the sheer evil of the US government. Which always makes me suspicious because those same RWers always seem to sit back & take years' long naps the entire time Republican administrations are heaping their abuse on the American people, the economy, our rights, the Constitution, et al. So until I can read some articles from some sources I respect (like WaPo & NYT, to name a couple) I am going to refrain from further discussion on this topic.

I do agree with you that it seems horrific, on both sides. Like supposedly some of the victims in the compound were later found to be shot pointblank in the head, survivors stated that it was Koresh who started the fires, it was called a drug raid as well, etc. I also read that four ATF agents were killed, which means it wasn't just the government's fault but another crazy case of a Bundy-style nut ready to start some sort of insane war to defend their right to break laws. So at this point I can't make a truly informed judgment.

From what I've read so far it seems that the Right Wingers in this country spend a great deal of time defending the lawbreakers though.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53304 May 14, 2014
Victoria wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you posted this to me. I had a laugh when you wrote that I lived in the past.....especially when your best buddy's rebuttal to a Republican's hit & run and drinking & driving LAST WEEKEND was a reminder of Ted Kennedy. It appears that I am not the one "living in the past" as much as you two are.
Here's the deal about drones. They replace American SOLDIERS who die on the battlefields. It's mighty hypocritical that you point out the number of those killed by drones since Obama took office when the whole damn MESS was one created by YOUR incompetent president. If not for the bad choices made by YOUR guy there would be no need to send in drones so that American lives are spared. And your incompetent president used drones as well. Where were your Right Wingers whining about it then? Hmmm?
People can be against drones all they want. They can act like it is the most evil thing imaginable. But the alternative, at least to me, is horrifically worse.
We have to end Bush's stupid wars. Bush's stupid wars that did nothing but create even more terrorists. You can send AMERICANS in to die ending it, or you can use a drone.
Funny. When did American soldiers begin to be judge, jury, and executioner..... For American citizens? That's an upgrade.
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53305 May 14, 2014
A Planned Parenthood worker in Arizona intentionally miscoded a sexual assault as a"consensual encounter "to avoid the hassel of reporting it to authorities.
Gosh.
You mean democrats do stupid things too?
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53306 May 14, 2014
"Winnie the Pooh seems to me to be a text on national security".
Richard Danzig, Obama National Security Advisor. WTF?
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53307 May 14, 2014
"You know what I heard? It's not black on black crime that's killing those kids in Chicago. It's cops shooting those kids"
Monique Davis, good old fashioned democrat!
Waco 1954

Greer, SC

#53308 May 14, 2014
You've inspired m me, TSF!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Antifa's beliefs 11 min waco1909 17
Antifa,BLM fight each other in Dallas 15 min waco1909 61
Alt-left blames every one on earth for Charlott... 31 min waco1909 390
i got no where else to go! 1 hr wacky waco 4
Without Waco I've no reason to live! 1 hr wacky waco 6
Planned Parenthood backer says abortion prevent... 1 hr wacky waco 19
Bonnie Mist 5 hr Concerned Citizen 1

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance