First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chief story

Gaffney, SC

#1 Mar 31, 2014
What's the down low? Awesome guy misfortunate that he was arrested. What's the charges?
former

Simpsonville, SC

#2 Apr 1, 2014
Former EMS director apologizes for racial slurs
Apr. 01, 2014 @ 08:25 AM
KIM GILLILAND | NEWS-TOPIC Gail Colbert
WILKES COUNTY
A former Caldwell County Emergency Management Services director apologized in court Monday to a former employee for nearly five years of racial slurs he made at work.
Tommy Courtner's apology to Gail Colbert came in a hearing in Wilkes Superior Court where attorneys for Colbert and Courtner, who currently is chief of the Hudson Fire Department, said they had reached a settlement in the lawsuit filed by Colbert in January 2013 that alleged severe emotional distress as a result of Courtner's actions. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
"Gail, we worked together for a long time," Courtner said, reading a six-sentence apology. "I regret that our relationship deteriorated. I am certainly sorry for all the things I said or did that caused you embarrassment, harm or offense. It was never my intentions for this to happen. I understand that racial remarks are not appropriate for a workplace. I apologize for the pain it caused you, and hope that you can forgive me."
In a phone interview Monday afternoon, Courtner said that the terms of the settlement prohibit him from commenting on the case. In the initial response his attorneys filed to the lawsuit, Courtner denied intending to harass or intimidate Colbert.
Courtner said Caldwell County's insurance will pay for the settlement and the legal fees.
The suit alleged that Courtner made disparaging and racist remarks to Colbert from the time he became her supervisor in 2006 until he resigned as EMS director on Jan 26, 2011.
Many of the allegations were corroborated by witnesses in affidavits. One employee, Ricky Brown, stated, "I would hear Tommy from time to time making comments to Gail about monkeys and bananas, and he would turn out the light in her office and yell (for) Gail to smile 'so I can see where you're at.'"
Another employee, Kenneth Teague, said in an affidavit that Courtner referred to black people by the common racial epithet that starts with N and had referred to Colbert as "monkey." Another, Heather Greene, said Courtner would call her "spook."
One employee, Syretha Richards, wrote, "If Gail was ever eating a banana in her office, he would always laugh and make monkey comments. At one time he took a picture of her eating a banana and he printed it and hung it up and laughed about it." The employee also wrote, "I read an e-mail that was sent to Gail from Tommy that talked about a stimulus package of fried chicken and watermelon."
In 2012 Courtner ran for a seat on the Caldwell County Board of Commissioners. Terrified that he might once again be placed in a position of authority over her, Colbert circulated a letter detailing her allegations of abuse, the suit said, and Courtner responded by filing a complaint with the State Board of Elections. The state board's investigation against Colbert was terminated, according to the suit, after the board received sworn statements from a number of individuals attesting to Courtner's remarks being similar or identical to those included in the letter.
Colbert, who now lives in Wilkes County and still works for Caldwell County, declined to comment on the case.
Colbert's attorney, Dudley Witt, spoke briefly about the case afterward.
"Ms. Colbert's thankful that there's been an apology," Witt said. "She's accepted it, and she's hopeful to move on from this very unfortunate portion of her life."
Attorneys have 15 days to file for a dismissal of the civil suit.
curious

Dillsboro, NC

#3 Apr 2, 2014
So what did Justin do?
Little Town-BIG Problems

Hickory, NC

#4 Apr 5, 2014
Apparently Justin has been accused of stealing things from employers. Sometimes you never know people.
never trusted him

Rockwell, NC

#5 Apr 8, 2014
He got caught selling stolen radios. So never he will get what he deserves..
Crook

Burnsville, NC

#6 Apr 8, 2014
never trusted him wrote:
He got caught selling stolen radios. So never he will get what he deserves..
is that all he did lol
Haha lol

Burnsville, NC

#7 Apr 8, 2014
curious wrote:
So what did Justin do?
what hasn't he done
Covered up thief

Black Mountain, NC

#8 Apr 18, 2014
No charges yet election saved him but lenoir fire radios and granite and hudson and lenoir pd all his employers lose out?
Curious

Boiling Springs, SC

#9 Apr 19, 2014
Covered up thief wrote:
No charges yet election saved him but lenoir fire radios and granite and hudson and lenoir pd all his employers lose out?
Huh?
Curious

Black Mountain, NC

#10 Apr 20, 2014
Heard he sold radios but whose were they besides sheriff dept ? Maybe all the people he worked for needs to do inventorie
Bubba

Lenoir, NC

#11 Apr 21, 2014
I believe the radios were bought on a federal grant & if that is the case then the feds would charge him and not local authorities. Therefore it might take a few months before charges are filed and then it would go to federal court and not even be heard in Caldwell County. It has nothing to do with an election like some candidate supporters want you to think.
bubba knows

Black Mountain, NC

#12 Apr 24, 2014
All the radios couldn't have been under the Grant you speak if unless all the departments got them there was 5 depts from what's being said lpd lfd hfd gfd ccsd . Maybe he will get away with it
never trusted him either

Lenoir, NC

#13 Apr 25, 2014
Why does the news pick and choose which stories they follow and publish? this is a formal LPD officer and formal GFD captain , and a communication officer at CCSD. But nothing has been said about it, however the lady at Blue Ridge Cemetery that took money has been in paper and on news. Does make you wonder about the censorship that reporters do to other stories. I think that Hudson Fire should have their financial records looked into since he had access to financial business at HFD. Maybe the reporters will see this post and start looking into this.
How bout lenoir fire

Black Mountain, NC

#14 Apr 25, 2014
How about anyone that bought stuff from him come forward , and I agree no telling who else knew if he has been helped or covered up they must be in it too
never trusted him either wrote:
Why does the news pick and choose which stories they follow and publish? this is a formal LPD officer and formal GFD captain , and a communication officer at CCSD. But nothing has been said about it, however the lady at Blue Ridge Cemetery that took money has been in paper and on news. Does make you wonder about the censorship that reporters do to other stories. I think that Hudson Fire should have their financial records looked into since he had access to financial business at HFD. Maybe the reporters will see this post and start looking into this.
never trusted him either

Lenoir, NC

#15 Apr 26, 2014
How bout lenoir fire wrote:
How about anyone that bought stuff from him come forward , and I agree no telling who else knew if he has been helped or covered up they must be in it too
<quoted text>
Oh yea I forgot he was at LFD. As you may know he was also Tommy Cortner's finance manager when he ran for county commissioner so some money may have come in and went without it getting reported. Does justin's wife work in accounting or something at DSS?
How bout lenoir fire

Black Mountain, NC

#16 Apr 26, 2014
Thought she worked at a daycare ? I just overheard someone say at Gamewell they bought a pager from him wonder where it came from granite falls?
never trusted him either

Lenoir, NC

#17 Apr 30, 2014
<quoted text>
Oh yea I forgot he was at LFD. As you may know he was also Tommy Cortner's finance manager when he ran for county commissioner so some money may have come in and went without it getting reported. Does justin's wife work in accounting or something at DSS?
Now the truth has come out. Hudson Fire has dropped all 7 counts against Justin. So that shows him and Tommy must be pretty close. Those who live in Hudson should ask how their tax money can be used to buy radios and then have those radios sold and a individual get the money for himself. I do hope county will not drop their charges on him.
nothing will happen

Black Mountain, NC

#18 Apr 30, 2014
<quoted text>
Now the truth has come out. Hudson Fire has dropped all 7 counts against Justin. So that shows him and Tommy must be pretty close. Those who live in Hudson should ask how their tax money can be used to buy radios and then have those radios sold and a individual get the money for himself. I do hope county will not drop their charges on him.
You know good and well the county wont pursue anything especially if Jones wins the election. A part time dispatcher stealing radios from the county would be just another embarrassment in a long string of embarrassments. It was LPD that touched off the investigation to start with not CCSO, and I am willing to bet Jones is still holding his Police Certification just like he is with all the others allowed to resign for misconduct. If a secretary can embezzle and walk away scott free what makes you think the Sheriff will act on some radios.
Crap

Black Mountain, NC

#19 May 1, 2014
nothing will happen wrote:
<quoted text>You know good and well the county wont pursue anything especially if Jones wins the election. A part time dispatcher stealing radios from the county would be just another embarrassment in a long string of embarrassments. It was LPD that touched off the investigation to start with not CCSO, and I am willing to bet Jones is still holding his Police Certification just like he is with all the others allowed to resign for misconduct. If a secretary can embezzle and walk away scott free what makes you think the Sheriff will act on some radios.
I call bull crap ! 7 counts somebody can't count ! I guess after doing his mom years ago he owes that to him ! It's crap so much turmoil is caused by a person that played cop and then misled all these people. Crap ! Bastards
I heard

Mocksville, NC

#20 May 1, 2014
I heard the county asked the sbi to investigate. If so they take a long time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State, Victoria, TSF 5 hr State of Florida 202
Harvard: Trump treated unfairly by media 6 hr waco1909 51
Trump to gut Medicaid! 6 hr waco1909 52
U.S. appeals court upholds block on Trump's tra... 6 hr waco1909 5
Florida GOPer Helped Russian Hacker 6 hr waco1909 5
Jobs to Mexico: Workers Say Trump Misled Them 6 hr waco1909 4
ccc&ti graducation 9 hr jennifer 2

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance