Ben Griffen for commissoner

Posted in the Morganton Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
j55rt mat

Banner Elk, NC

#1 Jan 24, 2014
Can you believe it. Who will vote for this idiot?
lumping

United States

#2 Jan 24, 2014
He is trying to lump his name with the Wilson camp. He is smart but will bring Wilson down a bit I think. Any thoughts?
TSF

Clinton, NC

#3 Jan 24, 2014
I don't think many people realize that Ben was the only commissioner in the last decade who really understood the county finances and is on top of all issues. Ben is pretty far right but he was the best commissioner we have had in the last decade because he takes time to understand issues and finances instead of day dreaming or sleeping through he meetings and just rubber stamping what the county manager throws out..
True

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#4 Jan 24, 2014
I would have never said this years ago, but compared to what you have on the board now, Ben is a godsend. He is not the only commissioner to understand county finances in the last decade, but those who did understand it are not coming back.

At this point, you'd be lucky to have Ben. And this is coming from someone who worked against him every election.
i_will

Casar, NC

#5 Jan 24, 2014
I though ben did a good job. I will vote for him. as far as Wilson I do not know anything about him. good luck ben, wish you the best.
say what?

Seymour, TN

#6 Jan 24, 2014
True wrote:
I would have never said this years ago, but compared to what you have on the board now, Ben is a godsend. He is not the only commissioner to understand county finances in the last decade, but those who did understand it are not coming back.

At this point, you'd be lucky to have Ben. And this is coming from someone who worked against him every election.
Regardless if you like Ben or not, had he not forced the cuts in county spending we would be a lot worse off than we are. Caldwell is one of the few counties still with positive budget numbers, thanks to cuts Ben made. Ben also stood up to Jones and stopped the free will spending. Why do you think Jones dislikes Ben so much ? Ben made him be accountable for his spending and demanded answers from the dept. Like Ben or not, he knows how to manage the county.
smart

Lenoir, NC

#7 Jan 24, 2014
regardless of what you do and do not know Ben Griffin is an idiot and is out for revenge on the county since he got voted out last time. Ben has no place back in office. IF you want him back in you need help HE has NO place in office
vote 4 ben

United States

#8 Jan 24, 2014
smart wrote:
regardless of what you do and do not know Ben Griffin is an idiot and is out for revenge on the county since he got voted out last time. Ben has no place back in office. IF you want him back in you need help HE has NO place in office
There is no need in calling anyone names but then again I would expect no less from someone that would make such a silly and outlandish statement. You are just the type that current republican party in this town likes. Someone that listens to what the good old boys tell you and does no investigating yourself. If you had paid attention and had even the simplest grasp of economics you would know what all good ben did. I will vote for ben and fiscal responsibility with my tax dollars.
disagree

Casar, NC

#9 Jan 24, 2014
smart wrote:
I disagree with you, Ben is no idiot, and he came from a dirt floor home growing up to a very well to do man. No idiot can do this; he knows how to manage money. No I don't agree with him 100% of the time, but over all he did a good job. example: He was correct on the location of the new middle school. It is the worse place to build. It is swamp land. They cannot even get a road in where it should be. They are going out on hwy 90, a two land road, with large trucks going down a grade, into a curve, and traffic will be a night mare. It will back up from hwy 18. The road should go out to hwy 18 if they insist building there, however, the land is a swamp, and no road can go from a 5 land hwy with a right turn in, because of a swamp. There is no room for the future. The back is a mountain of rock, and the front is to wet to build. Ben said it the best to the school board, if you are looking for the worse site in the county to build a school, you have found it.
say what?

Seymour, TN

#10 Jan 24, 2014
vote 4 ben wrote:
<quoted text>There is no need in calling anyone names but then again I would expect no less from someone that would make such a silly and outlandish statement. You are just the type that current republican party in this town likes. Someone that listens to what the good old boys tell you and does no investigating yourself. If you had paid attention and had even the simplest grasp of economics you would know what all good ben did. I will vote for ben and fiscal responsibility with my tax dollars.
Well said. You nailed it, they are the voice of the typical good ole boy republicans that have had a death hold on local politics for ages. They know not what they understand, only what they are told to do.
smart

Lenoir, NC

#11 Jan 24, 2014
Anyone who would vote for this man has no sense or morals for the county. He is a total idiot along with Wilson who has no business running for sheriff he had no managerial experience. And I would never vote for either one of them. Ben is an idiot and mark my words will screw this county over if he gets in I just hope the people in this county are smarter than that!!!!
voting for ben two

Casar, NC

#12 Jan 24, 2014
smart wrote:
Anyone who would vote for this man has no sense or morals for the county. He is a total idiot along with Wilson who has no business running for sheriff he had no managerial experience. And I would never vote for either one of them. Ben is an idiot and mark my words will screw this county over if he gets in I just hope the people in this county are smarter than that!!!!
I guess you think Obama is the best President we have had also huh?
blow me

United States

#13 Jan 24, 2014
smart wrote:
Don't worry your little world is coming to an end soon. Maybe if you could get your face off Alan Jones ballsack long enough you could see the forest for the trees. Go little sheep and do their bidding, you are just the mindless voter they like.
say what?

Seymour, TN

#14 Jan 24, 2014
smart wrote:
How could anyone defend the current policies we have? I had rather attempt a change and be wrong than to blindly follow the disastrous course we are on now. Why do people accept the situation we have now? It totally confuses me. Is it lack of education or more of a just don't care type of thing?
CC insider

Lenoir, NC

#15 Jan 24, 2014
I am sure that Ben is a pain in the County employees ass.
He asks questions and holds people accountable.

He did exactly what we elected him to do last time…..
Control the spending.
And how did we show our gratitude?

I believe Ben is very mature and thank god he has the balls to put his hat back in the ring after the last election.
Run Ben Run.
You have my vote again.
seriously

Hickory, NC

#16 Jan 24, 2014
smart wrote:
..says the person bashing people on a public forum for no reason except to start an argument.. sounds like you have a grip on what good morals are.

Pot meet kettle
Old Blue

Spring Lake, NC

#17 Jan 24, 2014
Ben is not what this County needs. Sure, he is smart and has made a great deal of money for himself, but he has no vision, and leaves the public out the governing process. I mean, no public meetings to get input from the public on something as large as a 64 million dollar plus budget? Crazy...

No planning department? Underpaid county employees? Purchased used ambulances to save a dollar?

He's also one the the biggest realtors and landowners in the County.... maybe that's why he's so passionate about keeping the county tax rate low. Conflict of interest? I think so.

The biggest problem with Ben is that he is not a consensus builder. He does not work well with others and does a poor job of bringing folks together around the table to accomplish big things. People don't like his arrogance and frankly do not respect him. After reading the paper today, I'm convinced, more than ever, about his power hungry motivations. He threw his one time ally Chris Barlow under the bus and pretty much called Mike Labrose incompetent. I'm sure they didn't appreciate those comments.

That Donnie Potter feller might be a breath a fresh air. Anyone know much about him?
taxpayer

Black Mountain, NC

#18 Jan 24, 2014
CC insider wrote:
I am sure that Ben is a pain in the County employees ass.
He asks questions and holds people accountable.
He did exactly what we elected him to do last time…..
Control the spending.
And how did we show our gratitude?
I believe Ben is very mature and thank god he has the balls to put his hat back in the ring after the last election.
Run Ben Run.
You have my vote again.
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. Ben holds people accountable and it makes waves in the good ole boy system. The only people complaining about Ben are the ones that only think of themselves and how much they can get. Of course our illustrious Sheriff and his cult of personality do all they can to smear Ben's name. They hate Ben because he held them accountable for keeping their hands in the cookie jar. Its funny how all you hear in this county is b!tchng about taxes and government but when someone comes around to do things about it the crybabies start crying when the sh!t gets too real for them.
Old Blue

Spring Lake, NC

#19 Jan 24, 2014
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. Ben holds people accountable and it makes waves in the good ole boy system. The only people complaining about Ben are the ones that only think of themselves and how much they can get. Of course our illustrious Sheriff and his cult of personality do all they can to smear Ben's name. They hate Ben because he held them accountable for keeping their hands in the cookie jar. Its funny how all you hear in this county is b!tchng about taxes and government but when someone comes around to do things about it the crybabies start crying when the sh!t gets too real for them.
Ben is a "good ole boy" that's the problem.
say what?

Seymour, TN

#20 Jan 24, 2014
Old Blue wrote:
Ben is not what this County needs. Sure, he is smart and has made a great deal of money for himself, but he has no vision, and leaves the public out the governing process. I mean, no public meetings to get input from the public on something as large as a 64 million dollar plus budget? Crazy...

No planning department? Underpaid county employees? Purchased used ambulances to save a dollar?

He's also one the the biggest realtors and landowners in the County.... maybe that's why he's so passionate about keeping the county tax rate low. Conflict of interest? I think so.

The biggest problem with Ben is that he is not a consensus builder. He does not work well with others and does a poor job of bringing folks together around the table to accomplish big things. People don't like his arrogance and frankly do not respect him. After reading the paper today, I'm convinced, more than ever, about his power hungry motivations. He threw his one time ally Chris Barlow under the bus and pretty much called Mike Labrose incompetent. I'm sure they didn't appreciate those comments.

That Donnie Potter feller might be a breath a fresh air. Anyone know much about him?
I will agree with the fact Ben's approach could use some refining but I do think Ben has the knowledge and foresight to see where money should be spent and where cuts should be made. The lower tax rate we have now is not the product of the current commissioners but the after effect of cuts Ben made. Yes, with a 68 million dollar budget, the doors should be open for discussion to the general public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cornbread Shack 3 hr Boss 9
👽Word Association 2017 Lenoir👽 4 hr Princess Hey 37
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 4 hr Princess Hey 72
DROP/KEEP/ADD a word (Feb '14) 4 hr Princess Hey 194
FlatLine's Last Post Wins 2017 (Lenoir Edition) 4 hr Princess Hey 50
trump a russian agent? 5 hr Waco1910 168
Liberals Peaceful Inauguration Pursuits? 6 hr Waco1910 49

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance