More trash coming to Lenoir

Posted in the Morganton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RB Starr

Lenoir, NC

#1 Jul 8, 2013
Is this the best our leaders can do for our beautiful land? Will it bring enough jobs to get people back to work? Who will profit from this venture "if" you let the bill pass. Act Now.

We need your help to stop the so-called “Solid Waste Management Reform Act of 2013,” Senate Bill 328, from being passed into law. The bill could better be called the Mega Landfill Bill because it will allow out of state trash to be dumped in our state. This legislation has already passed the Senate and could be heard in the House any day now.

Please call or email your State Representative today to let them know that you oppose Senate Bill 328 -- and tell them to keep out-of-state trash out of North Carolina!

Some of the worst provisions of SB 328 are:
•Promotes local governments importing trash from out of state, which would cause North Carolina to become the entire nation’s dumping ground for solid waste. The News & Observer said we could become the “garbage Capital of the East Coast.”
•Drastically weakens regulations on toxic water (leachate) by eliminating a regular cleaning schedule and only requiring inspections of the drainage system once every five years. Leachate is a water-based solution that may be comprised of alcohols, acids, sulfates, chloride, ammonia, lead, and PCB’s, which can potentially drain into our drinking water.
•Allows landfills to be built within 1/3 of a mile from National Wildlife Refuges, State Parks, and state game lands.
•Takes away the Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ ability to deny permits if the solid waste facilities will damage wilderness lands, wildlife refuges, critical fisheries habitat, or cultural sites and drastically lowers the size of the protective buffer zones around those areas.
•Eliminates the minimum required amount of financial assurance permit holders must provide for reclamation and clean-up of landfill sites, allowing poorly-funded companies with little capital to enter the landfill market. This means you would pay the bill if any contamination occurred.

North Carolina has expanded landfill capacity by an estimated 30% since 2007 while also reducing its solid waste through increased recycling. In order to protect North Carolina’s environment and the health of our communities, and to prevent out-of-state trash from being dumped inside our borders, we must stop Senate Bill 328.

We need your help: please call or email your State Representative today. You can find more information, talking points, and your Representative's phone and email at: nclcv.org/involved/trash . And please share with your friends -- we need more voices!
ken starr

Forest City, NC

#2 Jul 9, 2013
who in the fahq cares???
I B A Starr

Lenoir, NC

#3 Jul 9, 2013
Pull my finger..........
What do you smell?
respect

Stanley, NC

#4 Jul 9, 2013
when you get sick from all the crap they drag in here and the doctors can't figure out what is wrong with you or how to help you, you'll care then. this place has gone all to hell and very few of you have enough sense anymore to even care.
I guess if you're cooking meth, you have all this mess in your body anyway, so it ain't no big deal that more trash and toxic waste could end up here. Ya'll might not care if you're killing yourself or not, but there are some of us that do.
RB Starr

Lenoir, NC

#5 Jul 10, 2013
respect wrote:
when you get sick from all the crap they drag in here and the doctors can't figure out what is wrong with you or how to help you, you'll care then. this place has gone all to hell and very few of you have enough sense anymore to even care.
I guess if you're cooking meth, you have all this mess in your body anyway, so it ain't no big deal that more trash and toxic waste could end up here. Ya'll might not care if you're killing yourself or not, but there are some of us that do.
You're right about that, Respect. The meth heads didn't build nothing but a fire and a death trap for themself and their families and friends. Others that live here have built homes and businesses rather than to live on welfare and section 8 housing, so we care. People that care can make a positive difference in working with conservation and telling our leaders how we feel about this place coming to a landfill.
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#6 Jul 11, 2013
Caldwell county Commissioners will be happy as pigs in $hit if this passes. They already think the landfill is a tourist attraction.
RB Starr wrote:
Is this the best our leaders can do for our beautiful land? Will it bring enough jobs to get people back to work? Who will profit from this venture "if" you let the bill pass. Act Now.
We need your help to stop the so-called “Solid Waste Management Reform Act of 2013,” Senate Bill 328, from being passed into law. The bill could better be called the Mega Landfill Bill because it will allow out of state trash to be dumped in our state. This legislation has already passed the Senate and could be heard in the House any day now.
Please call or email your State Representative today to let them know that you oppose Senate Bill 328 -- and tell them to keep out-of-state trash out of North Carolina!
Some of the worst provisions of SB 328 are:
•Promotes local governments importing trash from out of state, which would cause North Carolina to become the entire nation’s dumping ground for solid waste. The News & Observer said we could become the “garbage Capital of the East Coast.”
•Drastically weakens regulations on toxic water (leachate) by eliminating a regular cleaning schedule and only requiring inspections of the drainage system once every five years. Leachate is a water-based solution that may be comprised of alcohols, acids, sulfates, chloride, ammonia, lead, and PCB’s, which can potentially drain into our drinking water.
•Allows landfills to be built within 1/3 of a mile from National Wildlife Refuges, State Parks, and state game lands.
•Takes away the Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ ability to deny permits if the solid waste facilities will damage wilderness lands, wildlife refuges, critical fisheries habitat, or cultural sites and drastically lowers the size of the protective buffer zones around those areas.
•Eliminates the minimum required amount of financial assurance permit holders must provide for reclamation and clean-up of landfill sites, allowing poorly-funded companies with little capital to enter the landfill market. This means you would pay the bill if any contamination occurred.
North Carolina has expanded landfill capacity by an estimated 30% since 2007 while also reducing its solid waste through increased recycling. In order to protect North Carolina’s environment and the health of our communities, and to prevent out-of-state trash from being dumped inside our borders, we must stop Senate Bill 328.
We need your help: please call or email your State Representative today. You can find more information, talking points, and your Representative's phone and email at: nclcv.org/involved/trash . And please share with your friends -- we need more voices!
Brandi

Lenoir, NC

#7 Jul 11, 2013
TSF wrote:
Caldwell county Commissioners will be happy as pigs in $hit if this passes. They already think the landfill is a tourist attraction.
<quoted text>
Is there a higher power than CCCommissioners? Like say the citizens? This is a state issue. If it's wrong who gives a crap what the CCCommissioners think.
say what?

Newland, NC

#8 Jul 11, 2013
respect wrote:
You would think the county would have learned it's lesson about disposal problems from the events, contamination and health problems generated here years ago by the incinerator at Mt Herman Rd. Much of that was swept under the rug but the fact remains we should have learned a lesson.. Problem with local politicians is the are willing to sell their soul for any dollars they can claim credit for coming into this county. It's all about reelections and money. Nothing to do with the best long term interest of the citizens.
RB STARR

Lenoir, NC

#9 Jul 11, 2013
[QUOTE who="say what?"]<quoted text>
You would think the county would have learned it's lesson about disposal problems from the events, contamination and health problems generated here years ago by the incinerator at Mt Herman Rd. Much of that was swept under the rug but the fact remains we should have learned a lesson.. Problem with local politicians is the are willing to sell their soul for any dollars they can claim credit for coming into this county. It's all about reelections and money. Nothing to do with the best long term interest of the citizens.[/QUOTE] You are correct and we reelect them. Also, have you noticed that they don't give a complete listing of their proposed meetings that are or should be open to the public.
That needs to be addressed to the commissions, too. People need more info of what is on the program.
State of Florida

Statesville, NC

#10 Jul 12, 2013
Are people so selfish and lame that they do not care about the future environmental concerns that their children will face in a toxic, polluted world?
Lincoln Continental

Lenoir, NC

#11 Jul 12, 2013
State of Florida wrote:
Are people so selfish and lame that they do not care about the future environmental concerns that their children will face in a toxic, polluted world?
I wonder that, too. The Earth, like any other living thing need care and love. Burying poision in our earth is going to cause more health problems that we already have. Years ago we didn't have all this add, bi polar, depression, etc. Why now? Pollution of our soil, our food, preservatives in food that we seem to want to last forever. People gobbling up drugs, even making meth to put into their bodies. They are miserable people to start with, then after all this they are crazy. Only they can stop it, but how do we get them to do that?
waco1909

Greer, SC

#12 Jul 12, 2013
I B A Starr wrote:
Pull my finger..........
What do you smell?
your mama.
say what?

United States

#13 Jul 12, 2013
Lincoln Continental wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder that, too. The Earth, like any other living thing need care and love. Burying poision in our earth is going to cause more health problems that we already have. Years ago we didn't have all this add, bi polar, depression, etc. Why now? Pollution of our soil, our food, preservatives in food that we seem to want to last forever. People gobbling up drugs, even making meth to put into their bodies. They are miserable people to start with, then after all this they are crazy. Only they can stop it, but how do we get them to do that?
We have became a society of greed with no forethought or concerns for the future generations.. I agree food preservatives have caused many health related issues but also genetically altered food production will eventually doom us all. Chickens now grow from egg to food in a matter of weeks not months, seed is so modified many plants contain fish DNA to resist rotting, corn is manufactured to resist herbicides and wheat is so altered the original DNA structure does not resemble the original. All these modifications are for profit not for the citizens well being.. We are leaving our future generation debt ridden, oil starved, limited basic life skills we know and a polluted toxic environment. I guess this is our legacy.
Lincoln Continental

Lenoir, NC

#14 Jul 12, 2013
We have became a society of greed with no forethought or concerns for the future generations.. I agree food preservatives have caused many health related issues but also genetically altered food production will eventually doom us all. Chickens now grow from egg to food in a matter of weeks not months, seed is so modified many plants contain fish DNA to resist rotting, corn is manufactured to resist herbicides and wheat is so altered the original DNA structure does not resemble the original. All these modifications are for profit not for the citizens well being.. We are leaving our future generation debt ridden, oil starved, limited basic life skills we know and a polluted toxic environment. I guess this is our legacy.[/QUOTE] We need to discuss more things like this rather than smelling fingers or silly stuff that only evade the truth.
TDR

Lenoir, NC

#15 Jul 12, 2013
State of Florida wrote:
Yes, they are....that's why this county votes 70% Republican, every time.
say what?

Newland, NC

#16 Jul 12, 2013
We have became a society of greed with no forethought or concerns for the future generations.. I agree food preservatives have caused many health related issues but also genetically altered food production will eventually doom us all. Chickens now grow from egg to food in a matter of weeks not months, seed is so modified many plants contain fish DNA to resist rotting, corn is manufactured to resist herbicides and wheat is so altered the original DNA structure does not resemble the original. All these modifications are for profit not for the citizens well being.. We are leaving our future generation debt ridden, oil starved, limited basic life skills we know and a polluted toxic environment. I guess this is our legacy. "

We need to discuss more things like this rather than smelling fingers or silly stuff that only evade the truth.
I very much agree. A constructive conversation would be great. It is nearly impossible to engage in conversation with the average citizen. They tend to be so uninformed and still trust in mainstream media or they are so closed minded they still believe we have the perfect world . Well most think perfect except for Obama. Lol. I opt think more along the lines that we have trashed the earth and tampering with mother nature. We can't even begin to blame that on Obama can we? Lol
TSF

Middlesex, NC

#17 Jul 12, 2013
The commissioners regard themselves as rulers rather than public servants. The problem is that their vote controls the county and they care nothing about the citizens, the future, posterity , the environment or anything but the immediate bottom line--for themselves.. They get by with this because most of the citizens are apathetic. Oh well, who cares? My preacher says to vote republican so that we can steal granny's social security in order to give tax breaks to the rich. He is a republican.
Brandi wrote:
<quoted text> Is there a higher power than CCCommissioners? Like say the citizens? This is a state issue. If it's wrong who gives a crap what the CCCommissioners think.
Lincoln Continental

Lenoir, NC

#18 Jul 13, 2013
I very much agree. A constructive conversation would be great. It is nearly impossible to engage in conversation with the average citizen. They tend to be so uninformed and still trust in mainstream media or they are so closed minded they still believe we have the perfect world . Well most think perfect except for Obama. Lol. I opt think more along the lines that we have trashed the earth and tampering with mother nature. We can't even begin to blame that on Obama can we? Lol [/QUOTE]No, Obama wasn't even born before the trashing of Mother Earth began. People that are only educated to "street smarts" drug and tattle tale talking aren't able to concentrate on anything beyond their own paranoid foolishness and games. They don't belong in a society of "STRAIGHT PEOPLE" because, to them, that isn't cool. And unfortunately, they have found this site with their welfare laptops and their tablets and cell phones. God, people like us pay for their toys but that doesn't mean we want to play with them. On Facebook we can at least delete them off our pages or unfriend them, but on here we can just realize they live in a tilted, sick world where usually they die young. Not that I want them to die, but I sure would like for them to take their chill pills and go away.
Bane

Greer, SC

#19 Jul 13, 2013
<quoted text>No, Obama wasn't even born before the trashing of Mother Earth began. People that are only educated to "street smarts" drug and tattle tale talking aren't able to concentrate on anything beyond their own paranoid foolishness and games. They don't belong in a society of "STRAIGHT PEOPLE" because, to them, that isn't cool. And unfortunately, they have found this site with their welfare laptops and their tablets and cell phones. God, people like us pay for their toys but that doesn't mean we want to play with them. On Facebook we can at least delete them off our pages or unfriend them, but on here we can just realize they live in a tilted, sick world where usually they die young. Not that I want them to die, but I sure would like for them to take their chill pills and go away.
Your post has merit.One thing that I like to do is to get my media info from different but reputable sources,like the BBC.
nana

Forest City, NC

#20 Jul 13, 2013
TSF wrote:
The commissioners regard themselves as rulers rather than public servants. The problem is that their vote controls the county and they care nothing about the citizens, the future, posterity , the environment or anything but the immediate bottom line--for themselves.. They get by with this because most of the citizens are apathetic. Oh well, who cares? My preacher says to vote republican so that we can steal granny's social security in order to give tax breaks to the rich. He is a republican.
<quoted text>
i think you just told a big fib on your pastor shame shame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UK LEAVES EU, Obama saddened. 3 min Rock 119
The Logic Fails me: 6 min State of Florida 256
Did God curse the Negro?. 23 min Rock 30
Show at Rose's Jun 27 LIL OLE ME 8
Dysartsville Road yapping ass annoying dog... Jun 24 james 15
Lost Chihuahua Jun 23 Revolution32 1
vfw road Jun 23 Revolution32 6

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance