Beer, wine approved for Fannin

Beer, wine approved for Fannin

There are 134 comments on the News Observer story from Dec 12, 2008, titled Beer, wine approved for Fannin. In it, News Observer reports that:

Tom Ledford made the motion to approve sales. Under heavy security, the Fannin County Board of Commissioners voted Tuesday to begin the process of enacting an ordinance to regulate the sale of beer and wine in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Observer.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
shame

Jasper, GA

#1 Dec 12, 2008
when i heard about this i thought it couldnt be true, how could they do this AGAIN did we not just vote on this last? shame on the commissioners for going behind the voters back just beacuse there upset that they didnt get voted back in. i use to have respect for you howie but not anymore, and tom you arent seaking for the county because we already did that last year when you let us vote. why did you waste our time and money and let use vote on this same thing to turn around and do just the opposite?
duh

Dawsonville, GA

#2 Dec 12, 2008
Ledford, Bruce, Ensley will all probably open a joint together, they are all corrupt and since Ensley is no longer sheriff and the other two will be out also they are doing as much damage as they can before they leave office. they never once cared for the citizens, they just cared about lining their pockets, I'd say Ensley and Slaughter are right behind the two. Slaughter is still upset he did not get Post Comm last time and now we know what he had plans to do, everyone keeps saying lets keep out the foreigners, well yeah lets bring in that multi million dollar project Slaughter is talking about and see just how many folks will be here..you people are nuts!!
wow

Jasper, GA

#3 Dec 12, 2008
Im glad they did it,if only they had the backbone a year ago maybe they would have been re-elected.At least Howie did do one good thing for the county.Just remember like guns alcohole doesnt kill idiots do.Sorry that some people may be upset about maybe this but its time to move forward and put a end to the chosen few to run everything now if we can clean out the dead asses in the city we might get something done....
shame

Jasper, GA

#4 Dec 12, 2008
its not all the fact that they voted for it, its more the fact that they wasted our time and tax money to vote on it and then they turned around and voted it in any way.

Since: Nov 08

Fannin County

#5 Dec 13, 2008
wow wrote:
Im glad they did it,if only they had the backbone a year ago maybe they would have been re-elected.At least Howie did do one good thing for the county.Just remember like guns alcohole doesnt kill idiots do.Sorry that some people may be upset about maybe this but its time to move forward and put a end to the chosen few to run everything now if we can clean out the dead asses in the city we might get something done....
I hope you actually live in Elligay and your ip just doesnt say that. It was a slap in the face to the voters. It shows the youth of Fannin County that their vote doesnt mean crap. I hope those officials dont actually show their faces in public. Their the only ones that are gonna benefit from THEIR decision. Its a bunch of crap and again they just told the locals and natives that their votes dont matter. They just want to turn Blue Ridge into Canton and profit off it. We might as well get our shoe shine kits out for the Floridiots and Aslantans.
John

Hotchkiss, CO

#6 Dec 13, 2008
Thank the good LORD!!!!!!!!!!
darell

Paonia, CO

#7 Dec 13, 2008
People wonder what has happened to our economy well let me break it down people are worried about DUI's but then they also forget that with good restraurnts we have jobs which face it there are none in fannin county so instead of worrying about drunk drivers worry about our kids having good jobs and a start at life. Better taxes and a better living.

Since: Nov 08

Fannin County

#8 Dec 13, 2008
darell wrote:
People wonder what has happened to our economy well let me break it down people are worried about DUI's but then they also forget that with good restraurnts we have jobs which face it there are none in fannin county so instead of worrying about drunk drivers worry about our kids having good jobs and a start at life. Better taxes and a better living.
Its not a matter of DUI'S at all. The people of Fannin have already voted and what part of no cant people understand. If people want to live in a place like Canton or Atlanta the path there is not hard to find. And Restaraunt workers last time I checked were all in the top ten for this nations millionaries. Its a joke and what ever the paper meant about Fannin county needs more progressive people to move up here is another slap in the face. Just remember Fannin county voters your votes mean nothing.
JMO

Ellijay, GA

#9 Dec 13, 2008
You would be singing a different tune if you had lost a loved one to a drunk driver. I believe it should be law that alcoholic beverages should be kept within ones homes.
Love Tennessee

Clearwater, FL

#10 Dec 13, 2008
I for one would like to see Blue Ridge stay just the way it is, un-commercialized and quaint, that's the charm that the locals like and the people who visit there. Ellijay has turned so commercial I don't even like driving thru it to get to Blue Ridge. It's almost like the "sprawl" of Atlanta has taken hold of Gilmer county and Fannin county should hold it's ground and fight this new regime and keep Fannin county just the way it is..... a little piece of paradise!!!!!!
shame

Jasper, GA

#11 Dec 13, 2008
we dont need restaraunts we need real jobs here i dont think that people being able to have drinks with there food is going to save fannin county we need places let levis and shaw back not longhorns and red lobster.
Bruce Slaughter Ledford

Dawsonville, GA

#12 Dec 13, 2008
should have known better and they are padding their pockets with this new project of Slaughters wake up they are your problem, its like if you do not vote us in we will get even,, now you are seeing what the rest of us have known for years, I wonder how much Ensley has in this project too, remember how hard he tried to get these others elected
Blue Ridge Resident

Seattle, WA

#13 Dec 13, 2008
Its about time COMMON SENSE won out over all the misinformation, lies, scare tactics and underhanded dirtyness that has been going on with this issue for far too long.

Mssrs. Ledford and Bruce should be proud of their principled stance and showing some much needed LEADERSHIP on this issue. Sirs, reach back and pat yourselves on the back, hold your heads high and accept a big "Thank You" from the mostly SILENT majority who wants desirable progress, jobs and an equal paying field with the rest of the North Georgia region here in Fannin.

Ignore the naysayers. You did the right thing and history will judge you by that - not by what a narrow-minded and vocal minority says about it. They have shown themselves to be the enemy of our county and their uncalled outbursts the night of the vote showed what their character consists of.
Blue Ridge Resident

Seattle, WA

#14 Dec 13, 2008
JMO wrote:
You would be singing a different tune if you had lost a loved one to a drunk driver. I believe it should be law that alcoholic beverages should be kept within ones homes.
And please then tell us, how would THAT bright idea prevent drunk driving? Alcohol drunk at home is just the same as alcohol consumed ANYWHERE ELSE.

If you think alcohol should be kept in one's home, how about firearms being limited to one's home. They cause plenty of deaths too - there have been firearm related suicides around Fannin as well as other injuries AND armed robberies at the Toccoa Riverside Restaurant in the not too distant past. If we restrict alcohol, we might as well restrict guns too - its a logical argument (although I personally like guns and fully support the second amendment)- be careful what you want to ban, you might get more than you wished for.
Blue Ridge Resident

Seattle, WA

#15 Dec 13, 2008
shame wrote:
we dont need restaraunts we need real jobs here i dont think that people being able to have drinks with there food is going to save fannin county we need places let levis and shaw back not longhorns and red lobster.
Hmmmm.. excuse me Einstein, but didn't LEVIS CLOSE AND LEAVE FANNIN ON THEIR OWN ACCORD? DIDN'T SHAW DO THE SAME THING?

What makes you think they need "letting back in"? I'm sure in our free business economy if they wanted to open a plant in Fannin, they could find a suitable facility to build or lease and do so. The truth is that certain manufacturers DO NOT WANT TO BE IN FANNIN COUNTY - otherwise why would these facilities have closed? They closed because they could no longer produce their product(s) here locally for the same prices that they could produce them somewhere else in the world - that's the hard, cold truth. Whether it is fair or right is a whole other large argument that goes far, far beyond the Fannin county line.

So, where does that leave Fannin? Well, it would seem logical that if you can't do one thing competitively anymore, you better find SOMETHING ELSE YOU CAN DO WELL - a new industry and some new ways of doing things - or you will get left behind in the rest of the world's (or even the neighboring counties') dust and your people WILL suffer as a consequence. That is finally what the two Commissioners realized this week, and what everyone else in the county needs to start realizing. Or of you want to work for Shaw, pack up and move to Calhoun or Dalton - only thing is I hear they aren't really doing too well either down there these days - hard, cold facts.
amazed

Dawsonville, GA

#16 Dec 13, 2008
you people ran them out with all your crap, you did not support them when they were here, you just kept talking smack about them not being from here,, you people just let your mouth overload your ass as usual
JMO

Ellijay, GA

#17 Dec 13, 2008
Blue Ridge Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
And please then tell us, how would THAT bright idea prevent drunk driving? Alcohol drunk at home is just the same as alcohol consumed ANYWHERE ELSE.
If you think alcohol should be kept in one's home, how about firearms being limited to one's home. They cause plenty of deaths too - there have been firearm related suicides around Fannin as well as other injuries AND armed robberies at the Toccoa Riverside Restaurant in the not too distant past. If we restrict alcohol, we might as well restrict guns too - its a logical argument (although I personally like guns and fully support the second amendment)- be careful what you want to ban, you might get more than you wished for.
O.K.
Blue Ridge Resident

Barnesville, GA

#18 Dec 13, 2008
amazed wrote:
you people ran them out with all your crap, you did not support them when they were here, you just kept talking smack about them not being from here,, you people just let your mouth overload your ass as usual
Are you seriously trying to say that a large manufacturer such as Shaw or Levis would even CARE what a few people in a small town have to say about them? I think not. Management in San Franscisco, CA where Levis Headquarters is located probably had no clue and did not care about a few people "grumbling" in Fannin Co, GA

These plants closed due to the numbers - nothing more and nothing less. They can produce the same goods that were being produced in Blue Ridge somewhere else for less money, or there was some overall advantage that another locale had over Blue Ridge (closer to their customers, easier to access transportation, closer to where they import raw materials from overseas or elsewhere that makes transport costs less, or cheaper LABOR costs or other expenses, unused capacity in another more efficient plant somewhere else, etc.) These decisions were made based on the impact that they caused to the bottom line somewhere or another in these businesses.

In fact, I am adding here below the entire list of EVERY location that Levis closed at the SAME TIME they closed the Blue Ridge Plant - so did all those places in Texas, Tennessee, South Carolina and elsewhere "bad mouth" them too - I wonder?

The point is - its time to let go of the past and embrace this county's future which is tourism and being a good and gracious host for visitors and new residents.

CLOSED LEVIS FACILITIES
----------
TA-W-36,633A
HARLINGEN PLANT and Texas Commission for the Blind, HARLINGEN,
TEXAS 78550
TA-W-36,633B
CYPRESS PLANT and Judy's Cafeteria, EL PASO, TEXAS 79905
TA-W-36,633C
McALLEN PLANT and Texas Commission for the Blind, McALLEN, TEXAS
TA-W-36,633H
KASTRIN PLANT, including EL PASO DIGITAL IMAGING GRAPHICS OF THE
EL PASO REGIONAL OFFICE, EL PASO, TEXAS 79907
TA-W-36,633I
BROWNSVILLE PLANT, BROWNSVILLE, TEXAS 78521
TA-W-36,633J
SAN BENITO PLANT, SAN BENITO, TEXAS 78586
TA-W-36,633K
SAN ANTONIO SEWING PLANT, SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS 78227
TA-W-36,633L
SAN ANTONIO FINISHING PLANT including SAN ANTONIO CREDIT UNION,
SAN ANTONIO FINISHING PLANT, SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS 78227
TA-W-36,633P
RICHARDSON TECHNOLOGY CENTER, RICHARDSON, TEXAS 75081
TA-W-36,633Q
WESTLAKE DATA CENTER, WESTLAKE, TEXAS 76262
TA-W-36,633R
DALLAS CUSTOMER FULFILLMENT REGIONAL OFFICE, DALLAS, TEXAS 75252
TA-W-36,633Z
AMARILLO FINISHING FACILITY, AMARILLO, TEXAS 79107

Tennessee

TA-W-36,633D
JOHNSON CITY PLANT including TRI-CITIES MAID (GARY, TN), JOHNSON
CITY, TENNESSEE 37605
TA-W-36,633E
MOUNTAIN CITY PLANT including DIVERSCO (Spartanburg, SC), and
ARAMARK (Mountain City, TN), MOUNTAIN CITY, TENNESSEE 37683
TA-W-36,633S
KNOXVILLE REGIONAL OFFICE including GLOBAL FULFILLMENT SERVICES
CENTER and KNOXVILLE DIGITAL IMAGING GRAPHICS DEPARTMENT, 1700
CHERRY STREET, KNOXVILLE, TENNESSEE 37917

California

TA-W-36,633N
VALENCIA SEWING FACILITY, SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA 94103
TA-W-36,633T
LEVI STRAUSS & COMPANY CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS, SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Georgia

TA-W-36,633O
BLUE RIDGE PLANT, BLUE RIDGE, GEORGIA 30513

Florida

TA-W-36,633U
WESTON CUSTOMER FULFILLMENT REGIONAL OFFICE, WESTON, FLORIDA

Kentucky

TA-W-36,633V
FLORENCE CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER, FLORENCE, KENTUCKY 41042
TA-W-36,633W
HEBRON CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER, HEBRON, KENTUCKY 41048

Mississippi

TA-W-36,633X
CANTON CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER, CANTON, MISSISSIPPI 39046

Nevada

TA-W-36,633Y
SKY HARBOR CSC, HENDERSON, NEVADA 89012
1oldman

Onalaska, WA

#19 Dec 13, 2008
I guess some folks did not know what they were voting against last year. It was pouring of alcoholic beverages. Translated "mixed drinks" or bar liquor. What the commissioners passed was to allow beer and wine which is already sold in the county to be served in restaurants. By the way this now stops brown bagging which is legal in this county.
mixed drinks will follow

Dawsonville, GA

#20 Dec 13, 2008
this is he tip of the iceburg next they will say well we have beer and wine what is the differnce they are just slowly working it in

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you hate all Floridiots regardless of their ... 2 hr Wow u are dumb 56
Looking for a place to live (Fannin Co., etc) 5 hr Beaner 4
Dirty jobs tv 7 hr Straight Rowe 4
What does Blairsville need? 12 hr JDC30512 186
Ignorant trash pet owners. 14 hr F You 2
Sex toys 18 hr Fat Bastardson 23
NGTC Bully Facilitator 20 hr Clint 2

Morganton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance