Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Mar 22, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 11

Mahomet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

$8 million of UC taxpayers' money for a new Catholic school???

Voted on and approved by the Union County Fiscal Court on Nov. 13, 2012 ---- Union County now is helping the Owensboro diocese build a new school in Morganfield with the countyís aid of $8 million in bonding assistance. What precedent does this really set? If any of the many Protestant churches in Union County ask for this kind of assistance, will they get it? It should be all treated equally or not at all.
Real Talk

Morganfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 6, 2013
 
Happy_Jack wrote:
$8 million of UC taxpayers' money for a new Catholic school???

Voted on and approved by the Union County Fiscal Court on Nov. 13, 2012 ---- Union County now is helping the Owensboro diocese build a new school in Morganfield with the county’s aid of $8 million in bonding assistance. What precedent does this really set? If any of the many Protestant churches in Union County ask for this kind of assistance, will they get it? It should be all treated equally or not at all.
Wow! Just wow! Wow!
get your facts straight

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 6, 2013
 
Happy_Jack wrote:
$8 million of UC taxpayers' money for a new Catholic school???

Voted on and approved by the Union County Fiscal Court on Nov. 13, 2012 ---- Union County now is helping the Owensboro diocese build a new school in Morganfield with the county’s aid of $8 million in bonding assistance. What precedent does this really set? If any of the many Protestant churches in Union County ask for this kind of assistance, will they get it? It should be all treated equally or not at all.
First, the money for the school is being funded by the parishioners of all the Catholic Churches in the county.

Second, those same parishioners pay the same % of school tax as all county residents do. Bus transportation is the only benefit they see from the school tax they pay. The education these students receive is paid for by their parents and local churches, period.
java guy

Mahomet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

what happens if the church ppl can't come up with $8 million? is this supposed to be economic development or what? sounds like a bad idea to me.
So does this mean

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 6, 2013
 
If the county has to come in and subsidize the cost becuase the parishioners can't afford it. You stated that the Parishion were paying for it, even stated they pay school tax, so it should be funded by the county. Do the same rules then apply as the public schools. Anyone can go without having to pay tuition?
java guy

Mahomet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Perhaps the ACLU KY Office needs a heads up on this thinly veiled attempt by our county fiscal court to promote one religion over the many others by providing help with bonding.
fact

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

get your facts straight wrote:
<quoted text>
First, the money for the school is being funded by the parishioners of all the Catholic Churches in the county.
Second, those same parishioners pay the same % of school tax as all county residents do. Bus transportation is the only benefit they see from the school tax they pay. The education these students receive is paid for by their parents and local churches, period.
Fact is I have no children or no grand kids. My husband and I have paid county school tax for over 25 years with no real complaint because it goes toward a common good for the general public. Now, you're telling that I also need to subsidize BOTH public schools and a Catholic school, so Catholic kids receive a benefit from daddy's school tax. A private school education is a choice, not a necessity. I pay taxes for funding public necessities, not for funding your personal choices.
get your facts straight

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 6, 2013
 
I wasn't stating any complaint about everyone paying school taxes; I was simply stating a fact. Everyone pays it.
An education is an investment in everyone's future. Regardless if it's a public or private education.

The parishioners have already raised 4 million; the other 4 have already been committed to by those same people.
fact

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 6, 2013
 
get your facts straight wrote:
I wasn't stating any complaint about everyone paying school taxes; I was simply stating a fact. Everyone pays it.
An education is an investment in everyone's future. Regardless if it's a public or private education.
The parishioners have already raised 4 million; the other 4 have already been committed to by those same people.
These deep-pocketed parishioners will enjoy hefty charitable donations via the Church on their IRS filings. Some parents with children in parochial schools also write-off the tuition as a tithe. By the way, if this group has raised $4M and has pledges for the remaining $4M, then why did they present a resolution to the fiscal court requesting bonding assistance? Either this group has cash in hand to fund the construction for their school, or they don't. Sounds like they don't. Somebody's gonna get left holding the short end of the stick, and you can wager it will not be members of the Catholic Church.
get your facts straight

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 6, 2013
 
Tuition is paid directly through the school and cannot be tithed. I'm sure there are those that have manipulated the system in the past and claimed tuition as a charitable contribution; however, the new payment system is now an automatic bank draft directly to the school.
It's a remarkable school and we are lucky to have it. I wish I could afford my children the same quality education that I received when I was a child.
Tax payer

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 7, 2013
 
I love seeing idiots post things they no absolutely nothing about. No money is coming from the county. Don't you no the hospital did this same type of agreement. It is a common way of bonding. Good thing you idiots don't work in local or state government. This sounds JC talk always running off at the mouth with no facts. It's wonderful to see the local people take interest in educating the kids in this County. It will be built with carrying people's money. Hopefully you idiots can enroll your children and end the stupidity in your family genetics by having them educated.
TaxPayer2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Tax payer wrote:
I love seeing idiots post things they no absolutely nothing about. No money is coming from the county. Don't you no the hospital did this same type of agreement. It is a common way of bonding. Good thing you idiots don't work in local or state government. This sounds JC talk always running off at the mouth with no facts. It's wonderful to see the local people take interest in educating the kids in this County. It will be built with carrying people's money. Hopefully you idiots can enroll your children and end the stupidity in your family genetics by having them educated.
You're correct. I do not work in local or state government. I work in a place where I'd be reprimanded for the misuse of 'no' and 'know' or for name calling. Good grammar and good manners are hallmarks of good education. Now, where exactly did you say you attended school?
Catholic

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 7, 2013
 
So this is a positive move. The members are donating the money. It is a County Catholic School. Really objections???? Seriously??
smh

Morganfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 7, 2013
 
I was at this meeting and that is not what Jody said. It's just a thing that he recognized and there is no county money involved. Call him and he will explain. This school is being built with donations.
Rajid Annoor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Iman Rafiq Jamaat, Muslim Community of Central Kentucky, opens his arms in welcoming all seekers to attend Blessed Pilgrimage: A Workshop on the Hajj on Sunday, 17 March 2013, from 7 - 9 pm at 9941 SR 141 S, Morganfield, KY, insha Allah.
.........

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 7, 2013
 
Good deal
Islamic Center W Kentucky

Mahomet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

ISLAMIC CENTER ORGANIZING SCHOOL

YOU CAN MAIL YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:

ISLAMIC CENTER OF OWENSBORO

3131 ALVEY PARK DRIVE WEST

OWENSBORO, KENTUCKY 42302, USA

(WE ARE A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION AND YOU WILL GET A TAX EXEMPTED RECEIPT FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION)
http://www.icowensboro.com/
smh

Morganfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 8, 2013
 
Catholic wrote:
So this is a positive move. The members are donating the money. It is a County Catholic School. Really objections???? Seriously??
It is a positive move. This school is being built with private donations. It is a County Catholic School.
where

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 9, 2013
 
smh wrote:
<quoted text>It is a positive move. This school is being built with private donations. It is a County Catholic School.
Where being built ?
stfu

Barnhart, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

The school is a good thing no matter how u look at it. Its a learning center for young minds, how can that be wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Morganfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Cornelius Scudmister 150,026
maria hansbrough chris thomas screwing 1 hr H0m3wr3kkn 11
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr Yoda-byte-me 1,031
verelies 4 hr H0m3wr3kkn 3
brandy cutsinger girten (Mar '12) 5 hr U-r-losers 20
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 10 hr Republicans Are S... 26,229
dunbar heighys 10 hr Really 5

Search the Morganfield Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Morganfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Morganfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Morganfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Morganfield
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••