No more Job Corps
jobs

Fairfax, VA

#186 Feb 18, 2013
Ahhh wrote:
This is sad. This shoots holes in the assumption that government spending doesn't create jobs. Its money and the people that work there spend money in this community and create more jobs. Keep voting in your republican representatives and senators and watch more of this happening. Kentucky takes more tax dollars from Washington, D.C. than it sends in. If government spending keeps getting cut this area will become a waste land for anyone that isn't wealthy. It's time to ditch Whitfield, rand Paul, McConnell and get some reps in DC that will fight to get federal funds spent in this area. We need real economic development or all the kids here will have to move away to even make enough to eat.... Remember that when you hear republicans saying the government doesn't create jobs... It's ideological B.S. so quit watching Fox News and start living in the real world... Those jobs are important to the union county economy, and if there are problems out there lets pressure them to fix them, not just shut it down, this country used to find solutions, now the GOP wants us to believe we are no longer capable of doing great things as a people, so if your a quitter keep the republicans in, if your not find someone else to do the job, people that will work for solutions!!
The issues with Job Corps are not local. The issues are national and are with the subcontractors hired to operate the individual Job Corps sites. The operators generally have done a poor job of managing the Federal funds given to them. It's not the employees' faults or the students' faults or any political parties' faults, it's the mismanagement of the groups paid by the Feds to operate the programs.
Soooo

United States

#187 Feb 18, 2013
jobs wrote:
<quoted text>
The issues with Job Corps are not local. The issues are national and are with the subcontractors hired to operate the individual Job Corps sites. The operators generally have done a poor job of managing the Federal funds given to them. It's not the employees' faults or the students' faults or any political parties' faults, it's the mismanagement of the groups paid by the Feds to operate the programs.
Correct! The management hired the worst employees. So what you put in is what you get out... A pure waste of money and time !! A babysitter !!!
Worked there

Mulkeytown, IL

#188 Feb 19, 2013
jobs wrote:
<quoted text>
First I understand everything that has gone on at Job Corps, I was employed from 1982-1999 17 years, seen thousands of students over the years and worked for several contractors, each time a "contract" would change the "rules" would kinda change, and some would have to go for a rehiring process with each new contract. I last worked for res-care ( terrible company) they would not give supplies to train the students. I believe Res-care had some problems with the contract and was not given it again. I believe you are wrong on this one Job Corps this time may be done. The economy is very bad and social programs like Job Corps will be cut. It's run its course time to shut it down. Overall from my years working and observing most of it was a waste. I can tell anyone the books were cooked there for years, most completers in their skills never was placed into employment, and a high percentage that were was fired at the job after only a few days. most class sizes averaged around 20, and at best you could only get a few kids to work. "students" i use that term loosely would sleep, not show up for class, leave class, or wander the vocational building. No discipline, the whole thing was to keep a kid for certain amount of time and the " contractor" would get a credit for that, same as making them a completer. Job Corps is good for the community because of employment, however has been a gigantic disaster for tax payers...
Glimmer man

Tucker, GA

#189 Feb 22, 2013
jobs wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not MTC because they are under budget. That is included in all their centers. They are a great company who knows how to run a center. ECCJC is doing better now than ever.
joseph Stalin

Metropolis, IL

#190 Feb 22, 2013
Glimmer man wrote:
<quoted text>It is not MTC because they are under budget. That is included in all their centers. They are a great company who knows how to run a center. ECCJC is doing better now than ever.
Not True, you either flat out lie or don't know
Ribbing

United States

#191 Feb 23, 2013
well I'll tell you, from being a student then a staff at one time, the way it runs is flawed and of course the students come from flawed upbringings too... the center is a myriad of things and all in all, it's a good thing for the community in general and to the students.... improvements can be made to make it work really well, but I severely doubt those changes will be made....
Emma

United States

#192 Feb 23, 2013
Ribbing wrote:
well I'll tell you, from being a student then a staff at one time, the way it runs is flawed and of course the students come from flawed upbringings too... the center is a myriad of things and all in all, it's a good thing for the community in general and to the students.... improvements can be made to make it work really well, but I severely doubt those changes will be made....
Sounds like you need to be in management . You present the Center in a positive and truthly way. Yes it can work . I have witnessed success there. Now it is a money pit.
Govt Programs

Fairfax, VA

#193 Feb 25, 2013
Name one program operated by the government that has no waste of taxpayer's money!
Citizen

Marion, IL

#194 Feb 25, 2013
Govt Programs wrote:
Name one program operated by the government that has no waste of taxpayer's money!
Job Corps is a low priority program in budget considerations, most voters do not care about it, thats what politicians look at. I think Earle C. is on its last leg. Losing jobs is the bad thing, 90% of " students" that have passed the the job corps system have been a waste of money anyone that has worked there especially in the education, vocational part know that. 21 years at Earle C. yes I know all about it...
hey

Nortonville, KY

#195 Feb 27, 2013
the truth wrote:
About anyone who has ever worked there can tell you, they will draw just as much, maybe more on unemployment than they make there. That will hold them over until they can find other jobs. I doubt they will have to lay off very many people anyway as they are never fully staffed anyway and lose an everage of 20 employees a month through simple attrition. People quitting the lousy job or getting canned.
The truth is there is a trickle down effect that covers a lot of territory. Many local businesses do business with the local job corps center and when funds are cut everyone hurts.
hey

Nortonville, KY

#196 Feb 27, 2013
Ahhh wrote:
This is sad. This shoots holes in the assumption that government spending doesn't create jobs. Its money and the people that work there spend money in this community and create more jobs. Keep voting in your republican representatives and senators and watch more of this happening. Kentucky takes more tax dollars from Washington, D.C. than it sends in. If government spending keeps getting cut this area will become a waste land for anyone that isn't wealthy. It's time to ditch Whitfield, rand Paul, McConnell and get some reps in DC that will fight to get federal funds spent in this area. We need real economic development or all the kids here will have to move away to even make enough to eat.... Remember that when you hear republicans saying the government doesn't create jobs... It's ideological B.S. so quit watching Fox News and start living in the real world... Those jobs are important to the union county economy, and if there are problems out there lets pressure them to fix them, not just shut it down, this country used to find solutions, now the GOP wants us to believe we are no longer capable of doing great things as a people, so if your a quitter keep the republicans in, if your not find someone else to do the job, people that will work for solutions!!
Finally, someone who knows a little bit about economics! I agree!
1waitforit

Tucker, GA

#197 Mar 1, 2013
There are people at this moment being called into job corps to be laid off not because they did things wrong simply because the ignorant fucks that run it cant do there jobs oh and by the way those that are getting let go were just recently hired oh and i know for those of you idiots who defend job corps well you are gonna say the last hired the first fired right yeah ok some truth in that so now that is out of the way. Lets get into the simply pathetic way that most people out ther who deal with the students and there bullshit work,the RA's simply because of numbers have gotten so ground up by job corps rules and regs that all they do is simply show up and not much more than to collect a check a small check at that,i know of people goid people hwo start work out there with fire in there asses who want to help students only to be beaten down by the job corps bullshit with there screwed up rules and paper trails that take a colledge proffessor to fill out and a supervisor or manager who is worth a shit to back it up and lets not forget that most RA's dont do anything in the way of punishment for those students who deserve because the RA's are afraid of what might be done to them or to there vehicles or anything of personal value now im sure that mist if you who are defending job corps have your reasons that i am sure of but some of you probably have never really dealt with the sgudents in there dorms and have no freaking clue of what you are talking about.now i will end this like i always do if i have offended anyone or mad anyone mad well i dont care.....at allll i write my views on things and that all
Jake

United States

#198 Mar 1, 2013
For all the know it all's.. CASE CLOSED OR GAME OVER.... TOLD YA SO!
johnny b good

United States

#199 Mar 1, 2013
You seem to be one of them
Jake

United States

#200 Mar 1, 2013
johnny b good wrote:
You seem to be one of them
Not this round .., I got more seniority than that..,
smh

Morganfield, KY

#201 Mar 1, 2013
Not good for the economy for Union County as if anyone cares. My concern is for the students that have made a career because of JC and gone on to lead productive lives. I worked there for 20 plus years and loved the students. I don't know what went wrong, but the majority of the staff love the kids. My thought is changing contractors every other year or so. While it was run by one contractor for 20 plus years, everything was great. This may not be a problem with the JC but with the system in which contracts are awarded. Should have stayed with Singer, etc. Everything was great and stats were great during those days.
Ex-Instructor

Carterville, IL

#202 Mar 2, 2013
smh wrote:
Not good for the economy for Union County as if anyone cares. My concern is for the students that have made a career because of JC and gone on to lead productive lives. I worked there for 20 plus years and loved the students. I don't know what went wrong, but the majority of the staff love the kids. My thought is changing contractors every other year or so. While it was run by one contractor for 20 plus years, everything was great. This may not be a problem with the JC but with the system in which contracts are awarded. Should have stayed with Singer, etc. Everything was great and stats were great during those days.
Ahhh yes Singer, the good ol days then C.S.D, pretty good, Minact pretty good, and the Res-care, absolutely a piece of shit company. The first contractor that I had to interview with, and a real poor attitude toward its employees. I had a perfect attendance record for 4 years straight, very high completion rate however was treated like a punk kid by that outfit. I agree too many contractors also each contractor had its own set of "rules"...by the way I was a Vocational Instructor from 1985-1999. Then left for a Public school job because of Res-care...
Couples

Florence, KY

#203 Mar 3, 2013
So I guess the academic manager couple still have their jobs?
They have been so involved for over a year. I guess her hubby don't care if she fools around or he would dumP her
Cry baby

Marion, IL

#205 Mar 4, 2013
Is Job corps really going to close ? I don't see our government cutting anything to do with minorities..just saying i will believe it when i see it...
Fact

United States

#206 Mar 4, 2013
Cry baby wrote:
Is Job corps really going to close ? I don't see our government cutting anything to do with minorities..just saying i will believe it when i see it...
Do you need glasses. This one site has gone from 2400 students to a current 650.... Daaasaaah do you see it now? Yes it will close in time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morganfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
He's coming 1 hr lol 8
Welfare and Medicaid fraud 1 hr TRUTH 14
Chance 6 hr _needtofindout 8
Fowlers wife 16 hr Smh 15
ann taylor (Apr '15) Wed Glad 2
Stealing from an innocent child Wed Pathetic 1
star francassi? (Aug '14) Wed rick 7

Morganfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance