Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
161,081 - 161,100 of 200,361 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

endocannabanoid system wrote:
<quoted text>
on the social front....
clinton left us with some BAD luggage.
DADT and DOMA??
both of which the clinton's have both recanted on.
it was a shameful thing to do those things to gays, just to appease the middle and the center right.
now that the younger folks obviously have better attitudes than their parents and Grandparents??
we can undo the damage of that social lurch to the right.
it makes sense though, that was the LAST decade of the OLD century.
and there was bound to be one more victorian style uprising(started in 1980) before a new dawn in society.
....which is totally what it looks like now.
I agree, that lurch was in the wrong direction and Clinton should never have signed that. One of several things I blame him for.

Bush was a disaster, Obama has only been marginally better than Clinton, hope something better comes along
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, that lurch was in the wrong direction and Clinton should never have signed that. One of several things I blame him for.
Bush was a disaster, Obama has only been marginally better than Clinton, hope something better comes along
well having ALL of them(inc hillary) reject DOma and Dadt is certainly a start, right??

gays certainly have a long way to go, before they are not only granted full citizenship rights....

but feel fully 'tolerated" by the rest of society...

im sure there will ALWAYS be a small slice of bigots, being overly vocal about something that was settled years ago.....

just look at them right now???

conducting all out social wars, to discredit their party from EVER getting back to the whitehouse...

im hoping for a santorum nomination next time....

so they can fully see how little america wants that old archaic social agenda pushed on them..

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
how could i be lying??
you just confirmed what my claim was, that gays have LOWERR divorce rates....so far.
I didnt differentiate between gay and lesbian couples...
Define Gay? Is it just a term for men?

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
what does that have to do with prop hate??
come on riccardo, it just makes you look small and frustrated when you attack me personally(beyond calling me a leftist)
we agree on this subject.... gays should be free to marry if they please.
you EVEN TRIED medical marijuana once, but didnt like it.
now you are pushing your beifes on the subject......none of which are based on scientic study...
Hemp oil is good for you. Not smoking 2 ounces of pot a week.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G, I am still waiting for an articulate response to this from you.
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Gender apartheid is segregation of the sexes. Complete segregation. Homosexuals make up somewhere between 2 & 10% of the population depending upon what figures you cite. Just because two gay men get married doesn't mean they'll exclude women from their lives.
Of course everyone was born from male/female union (even if it is just through AI). So that is a non-starter. That still isn't a rational argument against same sex marriage. It is just your opinion. And I really don't see what you mean by it being anti-gay. That seems like quite a stretch IMHO. Perhaps you would like to explain how it is anti-gay.
I can take flying lessons and become a pilot. I do happen to have the qualifications to perform surgery. That was through a lengthy education and licensing process. The analogy still doesn't apply to homosexuals in general. Loads of heterosexuals don't really qualify as suitable marriage partners. At least not in my opinion, which should have no bearing on their ability to get married.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
well having ALL of them(inc hillary) reject DOma and Dadt is certainly a start, right??
gays certainly have a long way to go, before they are not only granted full citizenship rights....
but feel fully 'tolerated" by the rest of society...
im sure there will ALWAYS be a small slice of bigots, being overly vocal about something that was settled years ago.....
just look at them right now???
conducting all out social wars, to discredit their party from EVER getting back to the whitehouse...
im hoping for a santorum nomination next time....
so they can fully see how little america wants that old archaic social agenda pushed on them..
Tolerated... who was it that said "Toleration is that wimpy thing we do when we cannot bring ourselves to accept reality" or something like that. I think it is funny how we hold that word on a pedestal, it is actually a wimpy compromise.

I donít happen to be gay, but I donít tolerate gays, I accept them as the fellow Americans they are.

Santorum, that is a real possibility, although the entire party is trying to shift to the center right now, I donít think they will be able to totally shut down the far right wing unless they run someone like that. Romney was not a hard right winger, although he certainly tried to sound like one.

You may be right, they may actually run a far right nut job, he ( or she ) will go down in flames of course, and then the republican party can finally split the far right off ( as they so desperately need to do ) if they do, they will pick up some independents, and a few moderate democrats and maybe we can finally have and election where we have an actual choice between 2 viable candidates.

It wont happen before 2016, so if Hillary still wants to be president, she would win it in a walk.

There will always be bigots, I cannot claim to be perfect myself, but it is something I fight in myself all the time.

I just try and remain true to my patriotism, this country is the land of the free, where justice wears a blindfold, blind to Race, Creed, Color, Sex, Religion, Orientation or National Origin. Where justice is more important than tradition, where our people regardless of our differences are held to the same rule of law.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, Christians are on the right side of science in agreeing that marriage is distinct from ss couples.
Ironic isn't it.
Smirk.
well, hmm. not exactly. many christian churches and denominations and other faiths are accepting homosexuals as clergy. many are also performing same sex marriages.

i know, this is about as disturbing to the "conservative" sects as allowing women to become preachers and pastors back in the 70s was. but they all continue.

and you might take note of the pre research study regarding faith in america. take particular attention to the numbers of the more conservative denominations that are falling at a greater pace than that of more "liberal" denominations (read : those that are on opposing sides of the same sex marriage debate).

good luck kimar. you'll be needing it.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull shit. Liberals demand other people's money and disperse it for votes.
Christians are on the front lines of meeting needs in every community across the country.
Reality's a bitch isn't it.
Smile.
no, really, no bullshit.

the reality is that the tea partiers and republicans don't want their money going to help the needy. they want the money in their pockets. otherwise there wouldn't be the debate about the budget and taxation.

yea, gee, that reality thing, when it bites ya on the arse, must really hurt. never had it happen to me so why don't you tell us how it feels there chumly?
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Hemp oil is good for you. Not smoking 2 ounces of pot a week.
I only stated that i have permission from the state to smoke that much...

that would BE alot to smoke....

so at least now we can establish that riccardo fire of northern california finally admits canabis is "MEDICAL"

what a huge sea change in your politics...

i can see just how liberal you are compared to all the other posters here...

like for instance, wed both be pissed if the jehovahs witnesses bothered us at home.
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Tolerated... who was it that said "Toleration is that wimpy thing we do when we cannot bring ourselves to accept reality" or something like that. I think it is funny how we hold that word on a pedestal, it is actually a wimpy compromise.
I donít happen to be gay, but I donít tolerate gays, I accept them as the fellow Americans they are.
Santorum, that is a real possibility, although the entire party is trying to shift to the center right now, I donít think they will be able to totally shut down the far right wing unless they run someone like that. Romney was not a hard right winger, although he certainly tried to sound like one.
You may be right, they may actually run a far right nut job, he ( or she ) will go down in flames of course, and then the republican party can finally split the far right off ( as they so desperately need to do ) if they do, they will pick up some independents, and a few moderate democrats and maybe we can finally have and election where we have an actual choice between 2 viable candidates.
It wont happen before 2016, so if Hillary still wants to be president, she would win it in a walk.
There will always be bigots, I cannot claim to be perfect myself, but it is something I fight in myself all the time.
I just try and remain true to my patriotism, this country is the land of the free, where justice wears a blindfold, blind to Race, Creed, Color, Sex, Religion, Orientation or National Origin. Where justice is more important than tradition, where our people regardless of our differences are held to the same rule of law.
what I meant by "tolerated' was that those who are NOW bigoted might someday "tolerate" gays and LESBIANS so they join the rest of the humn race in ACCEPTING homosexuality as a normal choice...

right now, all i see is compeat disarray and civil war in the rethuglican party.

you must have seen some clips from CPAC.....although they WANT to sem mre moderate??? they JUST arnt.

the far right has truly hijacked their party....

and i say to them, here is another shovel, keep digging.

ive never seen a political situaltion like this before...

where the press is talking about polls that support the next democratic candidate, JUST WALKING in the general.....
but it may be a reality if the lunatics keep control overe there.

she even beat christie in a NJ poll for president..

it is truly time for a woman to lead this nation...

and politically, she is like the defacto VP, because biden isnt a serious contender(she beat him 61% to 12% in a poll released in december)

because SHE won almost half the vote in the 08' primaries, another thing that hadnt happened for a long time.

looks like it might be president CLINTON until 25'?

then the torch will be passed, to a candidate born in the 1960's or 70's.
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
no, really, no bullshit.
the reality is that the tea partiers and republicans don't want their money going to help the needy. they want the money in their pockets. otherwise there wouldn't be the debate about the budget and taxation.
yea, gee, that reality thing, when it bites ya on the arse, must really hurt. never had it happen to me so why don't you tell us how it feels there chumly?
KI and reality have never met.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>

like for instance, wed both be pissed if the jehovahs witnesses bothered us at home.
Answer the door naked, they dont come back, in fact they will make an effort to stay far away from your house.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
KI and reality have never met.
LOL.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
Brian_G, I am still waiting for an articulate response to this from you.
<quoted text>
don't expect one. the only thing you'll get from ol' bi-bi baby is bumpersticker comments. that's all he's capable of thinking in terms of. short, knee-jerky emotion laden one sentence blurbs. no substantiation. no real logic behind anything. ignoring and deflecting direct questions.

next thing ya know, he'll re-introduce sex with corpses in this thread. he goes in cycles. i think he's about due for that one pretty soon.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
what I meant by "tolerated' was that those who are NOW bigoted might someday "tolerate" gays and LESBIANS so they join the rest of the humn race in ACCEPTING homosexuality as a normal choice...
right now, all i see is compeat disarray and civil war in the rethuglican party.
you must have seen some clips from CPAC.....although they WANT to sem mre moderate??? they JUST arnt.
the far right has truly hijacked their party....
and i say to them, here is another shovel, keep digging.
ive never seen a political situaltion like this before...
where the press is talking about polls that support the next democratic candidate, JUST WALKING in the general.....
but it may be a reality if the lunatics keep control overe there.
she even beat christie in a NJ poll for president..
it is truly time for a woman to lead this nation...
and politically, she is like the defacto VP, because biden isnt a serious contender(she beat him 61% to 12% in a poll released in december)
because SHE won almost half the vote in the 08' primaries, another thing that hadnt happened for a long time.
looks like it might be president CLINTON until 25'?
then the torch will be passed, to a candidate born in the 1960's or 70's.
Oh I do know what you mean about tolerated, and I agree.

As I said, if she wants it, it is hers and she will win it in a walk. Her popularity now is higher than before, and the Secretary of State is a MUCH more important job than the VP

I donít think Biden would have a chance against her.

I donít see any republican, no matter how moderate with a ghost of a chance against her, and the far right.... it will be a joke and a total meltdown of the republican party if they run a Santorum or anyone like him.

The problem republican have ( that they have still not faced ) is that no candidate can be nominated without sounding like a right wing nut job, and no candidate that sounded like a right wing nut job during the primaries can win in the general election.

Not in this political climate

I donít think they can adapt in time.
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I do know what you mean about tolerated, and I agree.
As I said, if she wants it, it is hers and she will win it in a walk. Her popularity now is higher than before, and the Secretary of State is a MUCH more important job than the VP
I donít think Biden would have a chance against her.
I donít see any republican, no matter how moderate with a ghost of a chance against her, and the far right.... it will be a joke and a total meltdown of the republican party if they run a Santorum or anyone like him.
The problem republican have ( that they have still not faced ) is that no candidate can be nominated without sounding like a right wing nut job, and no candidate that sounded like a right wing nut job during the primaries can win in the general election.
Not in this political climate
I donít think they can adapt in time.
BOOM, you nailed it in that last papargraph....

such is the nature of civil war, when there is a larger enemy(the democrats) to vanquish....

have you seen the right wing dingers like freshman, ted cruz of texas??

bringing "news' he heard from the internet, to the floor of the senate, to argue as to why chuck hagel is a "friend of hamas'??

some of those stories that the reich wingerdingers have been falling for, were fabricated just for that purpose, by the leftist onion newspaper......they do parody news.

for instance, when Obama was elected...

the headline was

"black man, given worst job in nation"

but it is perfect for the far reich-wingding party, who actually live in a make believe world, like that.....
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
don't expect one. the only thing you'll get from ol' bi-bi baby is bumpersticker comments. that's all he's capable of thinking in terms of. short, knee-jerky emotion laden one sentence blurbs. no substantiation. no real logic behind anything. ignoring and deflecting direct questions.
next thing ya know, he'll re-introduce sex with corpses in this thread. he goes in cycles. i think he's about due for that one pretty soon.
considering michelle bachmann returned to death panels after all this time...... anything is now game over in loonyville...

and then there was palin returning to birtherism at Cpac...

they just never learn.

reince prebus nailed it.....

"our principles are sound... we just need to convince more folks that those principles are their principles...

he really means they need to step up brain washing efforts, in tandem with voter supression efforts.

but bobby jindal REALLY nailed it back in january, when he said "we need to stop being the party of stoopid"

for some of them, it is just impossible to stop...
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer the door naked, they dont come back, in fact they will make an effort to stay far away from your house.
jeez. that one made me laugh out loud. thanks for the laugh!
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
BOOM, you nailed it in that last papargraph....
such is the nature of civil war, when there is a larger enemy(the democrats) to vanquish....
have you seen the right wing dingers like freshman, ted cruz of texas??
bringing "news' he heard from the internet, to the floor of the senate, to argue as to why chuck hagel is a "friend of hamas'??
some of those stories that the reich wingerdingers have been falling for, were fabricated just for that purpose, by the leftist onion newspaper......they do parody news.
for instance, when Obama was elected...
the headline was
"black man, given worst job in nation"
but it is perfect for the far reich-wingding party, who actually live in a make believe world, like that.....
as a texan, i feel the need to apologize for teddy boy. he's like a fried banana.
crusty on the outside, kinda brown....and all soft & mushy on the inside.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
....for some of them, it is just impossible to stop...
prozac would help that inclination of self-destruction.

as a group, the all seem to suffer from the same hoof in mouth disease - or as a friend called it 'head in butt disease'.

jindal did state it correctly and for the first time in decades i found myself agreeing with a republican. unfortunately, louisiana is in pretty dire strates and not sure how they can pull out of the mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Morgan Hill News Video

•••
•••

Morgan Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Morgan Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE